PDA

View Full Version : SKS slamfire

Bishop
07-12-2007, 5:12 PM
Before you roll your eyes; no, my firing pin was not jammed forward.

I was just sighting in the rifle so I put under 50 rounds through it, but one of the times I loaded it, and let the bolt slam forward and it fired (in a safe direction :chris:) and failed to eject the round. I inspected the bolt face and the firing pin was not stuck in the forward position, and still seemed loose. I fired some more (only loading a few in the magazine at a time), but I rode the bolt forward after loading it. No slam fires after that.

I know they make a aftermarket firing pin with a spring, but I wasn't sure if I should get one... Is it possible it was just a weak primer? I was shooting remington UMC, so it was alright stuff... What do you guys think?

Satex
07-12-2007, 5:24 PM
The combination of slam fire and FTE makes me wonder if the firing pin really is the curlprit?

redneckshootist
07-12-2007, 5:28 PM
I read and artical somewhere that the design of the firing pin can cause slamfires on soft primers and it is recommend to shoot ammo with military primers. I will try to find the artical and post it.

I only shoot surplus through my sks cause its so cheep

Bishop
07-12-2007, 5:30 PM
The combination of slam fire and FTE makes me wonder if the firing pin really is the curlprit?

Wondered that too... :pinch:

Army GI
07-12-2007, 5:57 PM
My hypothesis is that is has to do with the fact you were firing American civilian ammo. From what I understand, imported surplus ammo have really hard military primers and are also recessed slightly into the casing. This helps prevent slam fires in military weapons.

Surplus 30-06 is the same way, they use really hard primers.

Atmosphere
07-12-2007, 6:06 PM
My hypothesis is that is has to do with the fact you were firing American civilian ammo. From what I understand, imported surplus ammo have really hard military primers and are also recessed slightly into the casing. This helps prevent slam fires in military weapons.

Surplus 30-06 is the same way, they use really hard primers.

I second this notion. I've had soft primer strikes in my sks before. And there is the possiblility that small pieces of brass shavings or some of the lacquer could have prevented the pin from fully striking but when 5 soft strikes happen in a row from the same box of wolf it really kind of lends itself to the hardness of the primer. I mean after the rounds where manually ejected I inspected them and compared them to spent cases and you could see that the pin struck with enough force to "normally" discharge the round.

AJD
07-12-2007, 7:37 PM
www.murraysguns.com

He makes an aftermarket firing pin with a spring that should prevent slam fires. It does cost $35, so you may want to look around to see if someone makes one that is cheaper.

Full Clip
07-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Nobody else makes one, through TAPCO is said to be working a new US-made SKS bolt and carrier. We'll see if it includes the spring-loaded firing pin, as this feature was a part of the original Soviet SKS design and included on rifles in 1949 and '50. (My '50 has an original-design SL FP.) The details was dropped in late '50 to simplify production.

phamtastic0
07-13-2007, 1:32 AM
on that note, is there a spring loaded firing pin available for ARs? just wondering

RAMCHARGER
07-13-2007, 8:14 AM
Back when I bought my first SKS, a Norinko with the 30 rd mags, it went full auto and dumped the remaining 20 rounds in like a second. :) I was using PMC or some other commercial ammo.

Dr. Peter Venkman
07-13-2007, 8:14 AM
Buy Wolf or Golden Tiger. Problem solved.

lawnrevenge
07-13-2007, 9:18 AM
I was shooting remington UMC
That sums it up-soft primers.
Put in a spring, or quit shooting that fancy American stuff that was meant for American guns in that caliber...

saki302
07-13-2007, 6:54 PM
One last thing to check- did you fully clean all the cosmoline and crap out fo the firing pin channel before shooting it? Guns with cosmo left in the FP channel can slam fire sometimes too. Some Yugos had tons of preservative on them.

-Dave

ETD1010
07-14-2007, 5:33 PM
on that note, is there a spring loaded firing pin available for ARs? just wondering

Not sure, but I made mine have a spring. I found a spring from a ball-point pen and cut it to a length that allowed the pin to strike. Works great :)