PDA

View Full Version : best deal on noveske recon bbl ?

filthy phil
10-14-2012, 3:19 PM
Should I go $450 or save the $ and get a dd or other premium bbl?

Enfield47
10-14-2012, 3:49 PM
I would save the $$ and get a DD or FN barrel.

IronWorksTactical
10-14-2012, 3:50 PM
The Rainer barrels are very nice. May want to check those out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MXRider
10-14-2012, 3:51 PM
Isn't the Noveske just a FNH barrel anyway?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

filthy phil
10-14-2012, 3:56 PM

The recon is polyganol rifled. What about the fnh?

IronWorksTactical
10-14-2012, 3:57 PM
My understanding is noveskes are PAC nor barrels made to noveskes specs and they do the finishing touches on them.

filthy phil
10-14-2012, 3:59 PM
Was going for all noveske on this. I guess it would be lame to skimp on the most important part

calishine
10-14-2012, 8:47 PM
Get what you want, the Noveske. Don't settle. You'll be happpy you did.

rogtac
10-14-2012, 9:15 PM

Recon and CHF barrels are very different.

scobun
10-14-2012, 9:21 PM
Pac Nor makes Noveskes stainless barrels.

FN makes their CM barrels.

What do you plan to do with the barrel? What do you want to get out of it?

For $450 dollars, there are more accurate barrels and barrels that will shoot the same and last as long at almost half the price. Satern makes a much more accurate barrel at that price. If you want something that will last, why not just get an FN CM barrel and put the money towards something else? I'd be surprised if anyone could tell the difference between a DD, FN, and BCM chrome moly barrel and the Noveske if all marks were removed.

21SF
10-14-2012, 9:34 PM
Pac Nor makes Noveskes stainless barrels.

FN makes their CM barrels.

What do you plan to do with the barrel? What do you want to get out of it?

For $450 dollars, there are more accurate barrels and barrels that will shoot the same and last as long at almost half the price. Satern makes a much more accurate barrel at that price. If you want something that will last, why not just get an FN CM barrel and put the money towards something else? I'd be surprised if anyone could tell the difference between a DD, FN, and BCM chrome moly barrel and the Noveske if all marks were removed.

Because it doesn't say noveski on it? Duh!! Lol sarcasm***

scobun
10-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Because it doesn't say noveski on it? Duh!! Lol sarcasm***

This is true.

IronWorksTactical
10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
I would recommend a good melonite treated barrel like an AR15Performance barrel over a chrome lined barrel.

bwiese
10-15-2012, 1:49 PM
I would recommend a good melonite treated barrel like an AR15Performance barrel over a chrome lined barrel.

Why do you want to surrender barrel longevity?

Unlined barrels start deviating after a few thousand rounds.

Melonite is just a coating that wears - it hain't heavy chroming.

IronWorksTactical
10-15-2012, 2:18 PM
Melonite is a treatment not a coating. Chrome lining is a coating which does affect accuracy but creates more longevity. Melonite adds much longer barrel life while not affecting the original accuracy of the barrel.

Here are some of the best discussing melonite treating. Worth the read.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3795644.0

The below are not my words this is a quote from someone who has been using melonite for awhile now. Someone I respect highly in the industry.

"Most of those that have really shot one can see the performance pretty quick. I was a barrel snob that thought cut rifled stainless barrels were the only barrels worth having for about 20 years.
In 07 when I started the business up again after almost 30 years I found out that Krieger, Rock, Pac Nor, Midway and Brunos could not supply me with enough barrels to meet the demand. Then it was custom 308 barrels more than anything. In the quest to find a company that could supply enough good barrels I found out some less expensive barrels would shoot good when designed well. Actually I think a big company can afford the newest high tech deep hole drilling machines made and a straight hole means more than a lapped crooked bore. 10 years ago I would have bet $1000 there was no way in the world an ER SHaw barrel would consistently shoot 1/2" groups. There is a 16" 556 barrel stamped ARP down near the barrel extension out there floating around that is as accurate as most Kriegers I have ever had. I think it was in the batch of truck guns I sold a while back. Anyway the melonite makes the barrel last longer without robbing the accuracy like chrome does. It is slicker so they do not copper foul as much. I don't think the exterior will ever rust.
The first batch scared the crap out of me. I run a patch through and headed to the range, shot about 20 rounds and then picked up the cases. Almost every single case had the primer blown out. That is when I found out the bore must be lapped clean to remove the residue from the bore. They don't need to be lapped slick like lapping a match barrel but just enough to remove the residue. After that and the day I shot 820 rounds in an hour testing a piston system I was sold on melonite. The stainless barrel I ran the same test with was toast, firecracked and eroded but the melonite treated barrel still looked new.
The benchrest crowd has already found out melonite does not hurt accuracy and makes the barrels last longer. They expect much better accuracy than the sniper guys or the sniper wannabes on the hide do. I've been hearing Rock barrels are the best for longer than I can remember, I know better because I have shot other barrels. It will take time for others to try it and see for themselves."

A little more from the history channel. The process of meloniting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjbOZAx2mw&sns=em

Both my rifles I use always are now using melonite barrels.

Hoop
10-15-2012, 3:29 PM
White Oak makes a good stainless 1:7 carbine barrel I think rainier has a few in stock. Midlength good profile wylde chamber and m4 feedramps.

filthy phil
10-15-2012, 3:40 PM

Noveske recon are polyganol rifled and should enjoy greater accuracy to offset the cl, right?

IronWorksTactical
10-15-2012, 4:38 PM
Honestly I wouldnt worry at all about buying a Noveske Barrel.

scobun
10-15-2012, 6:24 PM
Noveske recon are polyganol rifled and should enjoy greater accuracy to offset the cl, right?

Their polygonal barrels are NOT chrome lined.

The closest thing to a chrome lined polygonal barrel would be the AR Performance 5R canted land style rifling.

IronWorksTactical
10-15-2012, 6:49 PM
Not sure how an ARP is close to chrome lined barrel?

Harrison doesn't line his barrels. He treats them. Nothing added that changes the dimensions of the original bore and chamber. I agree on the rifling but not the CL statement.

scobun
10-15-2012, 7:16 PM
Not sure how an ARP is close to chrome lined barrel?

Harrison doesn't line his barrels. He treats them. Nothing added that changes the dimensions of the original bore and chamber. I agree on the rifling but not the CL statement.

The 4150 CMV steel, in addition to the Melonite treatment is going to wear as well as anything chrome lined. I'm not sure how the nitrocarborizing aids in extraction in the way that chrome does, but would be interested to hear more on that.

IronWorksTactical
10-15-2012, 7:32 PM
The 4150 CMV steel, in addition to the Melonite treatment is going to wear as well as anything chrome lined. I'm not sure how the nitrocarborizing aids in extraction in the way that chrome does, but would be interested to hear more on that.

Ahh ok I can see that analogy then. Talking to H about extraction it aids in the extraction.

762.DEFENSE
10-15-2012, 8:11 PM
My personal preference would be to pick up a DD, FN, or Rainier Arms barrel. Pocket the money for upgrades, or more ammo.

Unless you want your rifle to be almost all Noveske, I suggest looking at something else in the same market.

filthy phil
10-16-2012, 1:54 PM
My personal preference would be to pick up a DD, FN, or Rainier Arms barrel. Pocket the money for upgrades, or more ammo.

Unless you want your rifle to be almost all Noveske, I suggest looking at something else in the same market.

Thats what I was going for, all noveske as I have chainsaw lower and one of their uppers coming. Now I really dont know what to do:o
Would a daniel bbl be much less accurate than noveske, if at all?