PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action won't feed

1Luv4SF
10-14-2012, 11:03 AM
The bolt won't strip the round from the mag. However, if I push the round forward in the mag then it feeds fine. But it have to push each round forward with my finger before I close the bolt to make it work. If I don't then the bolt rides right over the bullet. Is this an issue with the bolt, mag or ammo? The caliber is .300WM and mag is AI.

EL_NinO619
10-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Don't know, try and eliminate possibility. Try new mag, play with bolt, cartridge etc until you can find problem.

joelogic
10-14-2012, 12:01 PM
This happens on my savage if the mag isn't seated well.

rusty815
10-14-2012, 12:31 PM
It could be many things, but its most likely eithe 1. the mag isn't seating well, try applying a bit of upward pressure (not too much!) on the mag as you're cycling the bolt to see if its seated well, and 2. the mag lips aren't open wide enough, this happens from time to time with AI mags, if this is the case, simply opening the lips a tiny bit should fix the problem, to me it seems #2 is the issue, since if you push the round forward a bit, it feeds fine, it seems the rear of the lips isn't open wide enough.

CK_32
10-14-2012, 1:04 PM
Internal or detachable mag?

This was common a while back with 700s a while back wih internal mags the floor plate mag spring would get bent and have the bullet rim facing down not allowing the bolt to catch it... Simple slight re bend of the spring to adjust how the bullet is angled when in the mag and problem solved.. Not sure what rifle or mechanism yours is but I'm pretty sure it's a mag problem.. Not much to go wrong with a bolt.

1Luv4SF
10-14-2012, 2:19 PM
It's a Winchester mod. 70 with detachable AI mag

DirtRacer151
10-14-2012, 6:49 PM
Could be the bottom metal on your stock isn't inleted deep enough or like previously mentioned you might just need to open up the lips so the rounds sit higher. It sounds like theyre sitting too low and the bolts just passing right over the top of them.

CobraRed
10-14-2012, 7:15 PM
Are these handloads? What's the OAL?
Sounds like a mag problem.

1Luv4SF
10-14-2012, 9:07 PM
Yea they're handloaded. I'm going to mess with it some more at my work bench. The problem is that I don't have any factory ammo or different mags that I can try using. Does anyone know a cheap source for AI mags? And secondly, will all AI mags work? Meaning are they the same for Remy 700s and Win mod 70s and the like?

Pthfndr
10-14-2012, 9:21 PM
Try tweaking the feed lips first. Not an uncommon problem.

ar15barrels
10-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Whose bottom metal was used in the build?
Was the bottom of the receiver milled to let the AI mag sit high enough up into the action?
Who did the insetting of the stock for the bottom metal?
Are the pillar heights correct?

1Luv4SF
10-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Whose bottom metal was used in the build?
Was the bottom of the receiver milled to let the AI mag sit high enough up into the action?
Who did the insetting of the stock for the bottom metal?
Are the pillar heights correct?

It's CDI bottom metal and was inletted by someone called "Dreadnought". This is my first bolt action and I acquired it in a trade 2 days ago so I'm pretty new to its function.

1Luv4SF
10-15-2012, 1:08 PM
I forgot to mention that the mag is wobbly when it's inserted. I know that on my AR's the mags hold really tight. Is that normal for a bolt gun? Or is that part of the problem?

ar15barrels
10-15-2012, 8:33 PM
Take the action out of the stock.
Take a picture of the bottom of the action where the mag would fit.
Post the picture here for me to see.

Then I can tell you more.

Mag wobble is subjective, but a properly machined action and stock inlet job would not allow excessive wobble as the mags fit snugly up into the action when it's done right...

1Luv4SF
10-16-2012, 10:23 AM
The action was bedded by GAP so I can't take it out. Plus the Tapatalk app won't let me post any pics right now for some reason. If I can't get it working right today then I'll give it to my gunsmith tomorrow.

ar15barrels
10-16-2012, 12:34 PM
The action was bedded by GAP so I can't take it out.

huh?

1Luv4SF
10-16-2012, 5:34 PM
I've only had this gun 4 days and don't know much about bolt guns. GAP bedded the stock so I was under the impression that I couldn't remove the action. I wouldnt even know how to =/

Merc1138
10-16-2012, 5:40 PM
Unscrew it and lift?

vintagearms
10-16-2012, 5:46 PM
You can remove the stock after a bedding job. Its not like they are welded together.

1Luv4SF
10-16-2012, 5:55 PM
Update-
Okay so here's what I'm sure the problem is. The piece in the mag that the round sits on moves back and forth. When the rounds are loaded, the piece slides to the rear and when the mag is inserted, the back of the round is slightly behind the bolt face thus making it impossible for the bolt to strip from the mag. That's why I'm able to push the round forward with my finger and get the bolt to catch it. So how do I stop the follower in the mag from moving back and just stay forward? I tried inserting small shims behind it but that didn't work. I just don't understand why the hell the mag body is longer then the bullets it's supposed to hold? The rounds just slide back and forth in it.

1Luv4SF
10-16-2012, 5:59 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/17/7esasaty.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/17/usasepah.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/17/umy4uzyz.jpg

CptDan
10-16-2012, 6:00 PM
My savage 12fv with a blind mag does that after I changed the stock to a choate. I'm going to have to shim the bottom of the mag well to get the mad closer.

ar15barrels
10-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Update-
Okay so here's what I'm sure the problem is. The piece in the mag that the round sits on moves back and forth. When the rounds are loaded, the piece slides to the rear and when the mag is inserted, the back of the round is slightly behind the bolt face thus making it impossible for the bolt to strip from the mag. That's why I'm able to push the round forward with my finger and get the bolt to catch it. So how do I stop the follower in the mag from moving back and just stay forward? I tried inserting small shims behind it but that didn't work. I just don't understand why the hell the mag body is longer then the bullets it's supposed to hold? The rounds just slide back and forth in it.

The thing that pushes the cartridges up the magazines called the follower.
The follower is not your problem.
Your problem is related to the position of the magazine and the bolt nose.
I'm still waiting for the pictures of the underside of your receiver to see if the cut was performed properly.

If the bolt nose does not move back enough, you can install spacers in the magazine or shorten the bolt stop.
Either method will ensure that the bolt always gets behind the cartridge.

I specialize in this type of work if you need someone to do it for you...

kendog4570
10-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Bolt stop. Providing the receiver was cut properly to fit the CDI metal. The front of the mag well aperture needs to be machined forward approx .100" and widened to fit the new metal. Was that done? If not, or not done correctly, that would explain why the cartridge is to the rear of the bolt at its rear travel limit. Sometimes on CDI the mag box catch needs adjustment as well. Jeff at CDI will provide "long" ones if that is that problem.

ar15barrels nailed it.
I am just south of Santa Cruz if you need some help (and dont want to drive to Socal!). 20+ years experience with US Service rifles and NRA Match Rifles, (of which the M70 was one of the best) Licensed and insured.

1Luv4SF
10-30-2012, 9:07 PM
*UPDATE*
I got the rifle back from the gunsmith who tried a few different things and he said it was the mag for sure. I ordered and received a new AI 5 round mag today and still am having the same problem so the mag can now be ruled out. I'm thinking the issue is going to be what the two previous posters mentioned. And so when I insert a full mag, the bolt won't strip off the first or last round. But it loads the middle 3 with no issue. And when I do move the rounds forward in the chamber then close the bolt, the extracted rounds have dents in the side of the casings as shown in the last pic. The first 2 pics show the bottom of the action as requested. I've tried contacting the previous owner of the rifle but he won't respond to any of my messages.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/31/e2uzapa6.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/31/daze8any.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/31/ahysehyq.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/31/je6y2e5a.jpg

PA_Hunter
10-30-2012, 9:25 PM
From the picture of the magazine; It almost looks like the round is positioned too far back. Was the "belt" on the case catching on the feed lips? (preventing it from feeding properly) Are you able to "seat" the round a tad forward so the bottom of the belted case is aligned with the back-end of the feed lips? Or maybe the bottom of the case aligned with the back-end of the feed lips.

Iloveguns
10-31-2012, 7:29 AM
I would take the advice of AR15Barrels. Take a pic of the bottom of the action removed from the stock. That will help give a clearer picture. Have you tried adjusting the feed lips on the magazines?

1Luv4SF
10-31-2012, 9:02 AM
I would take the advice of AR15Barrels. Take a pic of the bottom of the action removed from the stock. That will help give a clearer picture. Have you tried adjusting the feed lips on the magazines?

Yes I've done that to the magazines but it didn't help. I'll take a pic of the action removed when I get home this afternoon. God this morning commute has been crazy because of the Giants parade. Stuck on the muni right now and browsing CGN.

eclectic
10-31-2012, 9:04 AM
Is it weird that the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title was "Oh, girl hands!"

kendog4570
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes I've done that to the magazines but it didn't help. I'll take a pic of the action removed when I get home this afternoon. God this morning commute has been crazy because of the Giants parade. Stuck on the muni right now and browsing CGN.

You have two issues going on here, assuming the action was machined correctly to accept the bottom metal and single stack mag. Bolt stop adjustment, and adjust feed lips for proper release.

1Luv4SF
10-31-2012, 4:02 PM
The previous owner said the rifle functioned perfectly prior to shipping it to me. And now it has all these problems. He got very offended when I questioned him about it. Could something have shifted or been knocked out of alignment during shipping? Or is it more likely that I just got burned by this guy?

kendog4570
10-31-2012, 5:17 PM
The previous owner said the rifle functioned perfectly prior to shipping it to me. And now it has all these problems. He got very offended when I questioned him about it. Could something have shifted or been knocked out of alignment during shipping? Or is it more likely that I just got burned by this guy?

This could go round and round on the web for days. You need to have it inspected by someone who knows what they are looking at. I can help you if you want to bring it to Santa Cruz. PM if interested.