View Full Version : Is it easy to change an AR stock?

10-14-2012, 9:20 AM
I got my first AR (DDM4v5) a few months ago and I'm still new to firearms. Outside of field stripping the rifle to clean and lube it I've never done any kind of actual work on it. I'd like to put on a UBR stock. Is replacing a stock fairly idiot proof enough that anyone can do it or would you recommend that I take it to someone that knows what they're doing?

10-14-2012, 9:32 AM
Yes for the most part... What kind of stock do you have already??

Assuming its a standard carbine type the tab you press to adjust lengths.. Just pull that out as far as you can a the same time pulling the stock back..

But yes you can do it your self if not I don't think you should operate a firearm lol

10-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I would be replacing a Magpul MOE. What you describe seems easy enough but what I've found online regarding installing the UBR also seems to involve removing/replacing the buffer tube and associated parts. I suppose I should just contact Magpul and find out if if I can just slide the MOE off and UBR on or if I do in fact need to replace everything else and go from there...

10-14-2012, 10:17 AM
its easy for me but i am not sure of your skill set

Hot Holster
10-14-2012, 10:24 AM

It looks like the end plate and the castle nut are eliminated from the normal assembly using the UBR. Take the MOE stock, the castle nut, and the end plate off, then follow the directions for the installation of the UBR.

It doesn't look like you have to remove the tube or the spring so everything should be pretty easy.

Watch that you don't lose the spring when the end plate is removed. Being under pressure it might have a tendency to pop out.

10-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Easy enough then.

10-14-2012, 10:42 AM
From reading the magpul website, it looks like the UBR uses a different receiver extension, so you will have to remove the existing carbine tube completely. This might be tricky without the correct spanner tool to wrench it off. But, other than that, it really is a straightforward job.

ETA: There are two spring loaded parts you have to be a bit careful about, but even that does not require special skills, just knowledge of where they are.

10-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Hope you have an AR wrench.

10-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Yeah UBR is a different monster. Did you look into the ACS as a direct replacement? It kinda has that "look" :)


10-14-2012, 11:44 AM
If your in the Sacramento area I can help you out for about tree fiddy.

10-14-2012, 12:28 PM
OP, where's your location? If you're in the bay area, I have a wrench you can use to loosen the castle nut.

The MOE uses a buffer tube that looks like this;


While the UBR uses the entry level tube similar but shorter than the standard A2 tube, like this;


You cannot use the MOE tube to mount the UBR. Though you can buy the entry level tube, UBRs are normally sold complete with its buffer tube.

10-14-2012, 1:22 PM
I'm in LA. I think I'm going to order the UBR and a wrench and give it a go. Thanks for the help.

10-14-2012, 9:12 PM
If you don't care about the nut you can take it off with a hammer and a screw driver or a metal rod.