PDA

View Full Version : weatherby vanguard 2 or savage 116

motobean95
10-14-2012, 8:19 AM
Whats your guys take on each? I'm looking to get a new rifle and have decided it is between these two...Whats everyone thoughts and experiences.

toby
10-14-2012, 8:22 AM
I have both and would buy both again....oh wait I already did!

motobean95
10-14-2012, 8:24 AM
I have both and would buy both again....oh wait I already did!

do you prefer one over the other?

toby
10-14-2012, 9:27 AM
For looks and balance I prefer the Weatherby, for over the counter bolt on parts availability The Savage gets the nod. As for accuracy Savage's are known for this yet the Weatherby guarantees it! Take your pick they are both winners.

Wink
10-14-2012, 9:44 AM
weatherby all the way for me. the vanguard2 is a great gun for the money. i know there are alot of weatherby haters out there, but i think most of them havent even shot one before. there is no way you can shoot one and be a hater.

rusty815
10-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Both are great guns, if I had to decide between the two, I wouldn't be able to. I have one vanguard and two savages (three now since I just picked up a new one), The reason I have so many savages is because I'm a lefty and Savage is the biggest name in town for lefties, but if Weatherby produced lefty rifles, I would buy them as well.

motobean95
10-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Anyone have any trouble with the accu trigger on the savage? I heard rumors it don't take much for the first stag to release then you have to pull the bolt back again in order for it to fire. Anyone experience that?

Coyotegunner
10-14-2012, 12:10 PM
I do not have a Vanguard,but own a couple of the Howas.Howa makes the Vanguard last I checked.The Howas/Vanguards are fine working man rifles.I personally think the triggers sucked on the ones I have had.They had terrible creep and could not be adjusted very well.That being said,I since have took honing stones to the internal parts and did not change any springs.I prefer them over many other rifles now.On the other hand I have recommended them to a couple friends.Theirs came with decent triggers right out of the box.
The Savages I put in the same quality of rifle category,but they have a nice trigger.I have been around many of them and your rumor is the first I have heard of a trigger issue.
It would be a coin toss to which one is better.I guess price would be my deciding factor.

iron330
10-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I understand the series 2 Vanguard has a *much* improved trigger over earlier Vanguards. I'm considering it as well.

Divernhunter
10-15-2012, 8:40 PM
I have not heard that about the Savage trigger. I have one and like it. I have a Vanguard in 257Weatherby and like it. My only complaint with the Vanguard is that they should put a 26" barrel on the models chambered in a Weatherby mag cartridge to get more from the cartridge.
Try shouldering both in the store and buy the one that feels best. You will be happy with either.

Model94Guy
10-16-2012, 7:49 PM
Howa does not make or produce the Vanguard, an urban legend. Howa makes the actions, but the guns are built and QA'd at the CA. facility.

Divernhunter
10-16-2012, 9:17 PM
They are Howa Actions/Bolts and Barrels. When I spoke to weatherby.

rusty815
10-17-2012, 1:01 PM
Howa does not make or produce the Vanguard, an urban legend. Howa makes the actions, but the guns are built and QA'd at the CA. facility.

You just contradicted yourself there, If Howa makes the action, then Howa makes the rifle, even of Weatherby puts their own barrel and stock on the action, the action is still a Howa made action, therefore its a rifle made by Howa, but put together (built) by Weatherby.

The old Weatherby actions are made by Howa, I believe the new Vanguard 2's may not be, but I am not sure.

Vacaville
10-17-2012, 1:01 PM
I've got a Vanguard in .223. It is a great rifle.

toby
10-17-2012, 3:41 PM
Howa has always made the Vanguard as well as a few other well known rifles. The Vanguard is made solely by Howa build to Weatherby specs. Weatherby now makes the Mark-V action in house and barrels are out sourced from Krieger but all is assembled at the Weatherby facility. Synthetic stocks all come from Bell & Carlson. Wood stocks are still kept secret tho some do know the source.

Model94Guy
10-17-2012, 5:03 PM
Cummings makes the engines, therefore Dodge does not make the truck; i think not. The info i shared came from customer service about 18 months ago and may or may not be correct. And in the end it's all a bunch of so what. LOL