PDA

View Full Version : So I've decided I want to attend a build party in the near future...

desertjosh
10-13-2012, 11:02 PM
But I have some questions. Would an AK lower build be about the same price as an AR lower build? Which complete gun would you say is cheapest to build? I'm not really trying to go with the cheapest, just trying to get a baseline on where to start from the Calguns experts. Thanks!

Chewbaca
10-13-2012, 11:11 PM
An ak will be 100 or 2 cheaper to build bro . But you get what you pay for.

SD1911Fan
10-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I met two gents at Ambrose Armory that told me about build parties. I would like to learn more about these.

~A

Chewbaca
10-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Iv built about 10 ar's from 80%ers at a build party by dark soul in San Jose . Great guys , great equipment , professional results !!! I'd get ahold of him if you want to go the ar-15 route

SD1911Fan
10-13-2012, 11:14 PM
I forgot to add that I would like to build up an HK94 and an SP89 clone that are CA compliant.

~A

p.s. I tried to edit my above post but was not successful

zfields
10-13-2012, 11:16 PM
You don't build a AK lower.....

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

desertjosh
10-13-2012, 11:35 PM
You don't build a AK lower.....

So then the AK build parties build off an AK stripped lower?

Chewbaca
10-13-2012, 11:38 PM
You start from a " flat" piece of metal , at the party you will "bend " your "flat" into a "receiver" then you have something to rivet the front and rear trunnions to .

readysetgo
10-13-2012, 11:38 PM
So then the AK build parties build off an AK stripped lower?

You're in trouble now...

Be nice zfields!

desertjosh
10-13-2012, 11:58 PM
You start from a " flat" piece of metal , at the party you will "bend " your "flat" into a "receiver" then you have something to rivet the front and rear trunnions to .

Ok thanks makes sense so far.

I still don't understand zfields response. Sorry guys but obviously I'm new with this process.

jpm804
10-14-2012, 12:08 AM

I still don't understand zfields response. Sorry guys but obviously I'm new with this process.

There is actuallly alot more work when it comes to buidling an AK... bending, welding, riveting and pressing.. There are plenty of videos out there that take you through the process to give you an idea of what to expect. I have been trying to do more research to understand what I would be getting into going into a build party.

An AR 80% build will require machine time to finish off milling the receiver to a complete lower and then its just the normal process of lego building the lower with a lower parts kit.

jingerale
10-14-2012, 12:11 AM

go to the gunsmith/build forum, check the top sticky posts. You'll learn about what it takes to complete an AK real quick.

ke6guj
10-14-2012, 12:13 AM

probably commenting that there isn't a "lower" in an AK rifle. There is a receiver, but it isn't a lower. Lower usually refers to those rifles that have a 2 parts that can be considered receivers, such as AR's, FAL's, etc, which have an upper and lower receiver. The AK family aren't set up that way.

dshooter
10-14-2012, 2:41 AM
You don't need to go to a bp for an ar. Easy stuff. You need to build an ak. Buy an ar lower for $135 otd and and another $60 for the lpk and you're done. 1 hour, you're done. You don't just build an ak lower - no such thing, you do the whole gun.

Cheapest ak I built was around 450.
400 for parts + 50 for bp cost

AR:
Lower 135otd
lpk 60
stock 50
upper 400

jpm804
10-14-2012, 3:29 AM
You don't need to go to a bp for an ar. Easy stuff. You need to build an ak. Buy an ar lower for $135 otd and and another $60 for the lpk and you're done. 1 hour, you're done. You don't just build an ak lower - no such thing, you do the whole gun.

Cheapest ak I built was around 450.
400 for parts + 50 for bp cost

AR:
Lower 135otd
lpk 60
stock 50
upper 400

I think he might be talking about the build parties for the 80% AR lowers... where you need a mill to finish the stripped lower.

Benefits would be you could build a AR pistol from that lower...

Inquirer
10-14-2012, 3:53 AM
Hm. Well, there's some fundamental differences that we should point out.

AR's are two different pieces (obviously, lots of little pieces, but they can be broken into the barrel assembly and the trigger assembly at their most basic), whereas an AK is all one self-contained machination of destruction.

The procedure for building an AK is pretty simple. The receiver's just a bent piece of sheet metal. Sounds pretty trivial when you think about it, but hey, that's the beauty of the ting. If you want an AR, go with an AR, if you want an AK, go with an AK. Building your own AK is generally the way to go, be it from a Saiga Conversion (just google that) or from a parts kit, which you can find at AK-Builder.com.

Enjoy!

desertjosh
10-15-2012, 7:19 PM
Ok thanks for everyones input. Ive done some research and I think Im leaning towards a pistol in either build but now I have some questions.

Are both lowers compatible with a rifle lower?

How is the recoil on a 7.62x39 Draco?

Can either build shoot steel cased ammo?

Finally does building save any money? Assuming you buy the cheapest parts that are actually reliable vs. A complete cheap/reliable gun.

Ps. Any pics of your build/experiences that might help a noob would be awesome!

Thanks for all the info!

readysetgo
10-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Ok thanks for everyones input. Ive done some research and I think Im leaning towards a pistol in either build but now I have some questions.

Finally does building save any money? Assuming you buy the cheapest parts that are actually reliable vs. A complete cheap/reliable gun.

Thanks for all the info!

OK, now you've done it.
The gloves are off...
Let him have it boys!

Inquirer
10-15-2012, 11:07 PM

Are both lowers compatible with a rifle lower? OK, now you've done it.
The gloves are off...
Let him have it boys!

:D So... Tempting...

I think you're misunderstanding, man. There is no "lower" for an AK. It's just the receiver. It's one piece. There's no separation of the pieces that way. As for the pistol vs rifle thing...

If you want an AK, grab one of these: AK-Builder Pistol Parts Kits (http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=207). Attend a build party. /thread.

If you want an AR, make sure you either build from an 80% Lower Receiver or a designated pistol lower. Putting anything less than a 16" barrel on a rifle and you are federally ****ed. ARs snap together from a lower receiver and an upper receiver. The lower holds the trigger and the mag, and the upper holds the barrel and bolt assembly.

I would highly recommend just buying one off the shelf until you understand the basics, though. Or do some serious reading. You need to figure out the particulars of them before you contemplate a home build. But a ready-made pistol from one of our CA friendly vendors or a ready-made rifle. If you want an AK I'd recommend picking up a WASR 10 (a generally G2G cheap AK) from Turner's Outdoorsman, or an AR. Don't mess with pistols until you get the rifle side.

Hope this helps, and for God's sake, don't call an AK receiver a lower again or heaven protect you from the wrath of the knowledge base on here.

M00SE
10-16-2012, 1:33 AM

Thanks for all the info!

Draco recoil = youtube search

Most any gun can shoot steel case ammo, Ak's love it.

You are far more likely to spend more money in the total cost of doing a build than if you were to purchase a similar firearm from a licensed dealer. I would recommend doing the latter if money is tight regarding your firearms budget. If you were to need to sell a firearm, doing so with FFL purchased firearm is much less of a headache than one that you crafted(taking into consideration it is illegal to manufacture a firearm with the intent to sell without the proper license)

In light of your questions I'd recommend a Keltec SU-16CA

myk
10-16-2012, 2:11 AM
If you want an AK I'd recommend picking up a WASR 10 (a generally G2G cheap AK) from Turner's Outdoorsman, or an AR. Don't mess with pistols until you get the rifle side.

Hope this helps, and for God's sake, don't call an AK receiver a lower again or heaven protect you from the wrath of the knowledge base on here.

I don't know why man, but your post is making me think about getting one of those WASR deals. I wonder how my AR's would feel about that...:rolleyes:

Edit: Why are those WASR's so much cheaper than AR's?

Flintlock Tom
10-16-2012, 7:40 AM

For the same reason that Volkswagens are "cheaper" than BMWs.:D

CSACANNONEER
10-16-2012, 7:44 AM
I don't know why man, but your post is making me think about getting one of those WASR deals. I wonder how my AR's would feel about that...:rolleyes:

Why are oranges so much cheaper than fence posts? You're trying to compare two completely different things.

zfields
10-16-2012, 7:54 AM

They would feel like a classroom full of Catholic school girls when a slutty biker chick walks in.

readysetgo
10-16-2012, 10:38 AM
:D So... Tempting...

I think you're misunderstanding, man. There is no "lower" for an AK. It's just the receiver. It's one piece. There's no separation of the pieces that way. As for the pistol vs rifle thing...

If you want an AK, grab one of these: AK-Builder Pistol Parts Kits (http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=207). Attend a build party. /thread.

If you want an AR, make sure you either build from an 80% Lower Receiver or a designated pistol lower. Putting anything less than a 16" barrel on a rifle and you are federally ****ed. ARs snap together from a lower receiver and an upper receiver. The lower holds the trigger and the mag, and the upper holds the barrel and bolt assembly.

I would highly recommend just buying one off the shelf until you understand the basics, though. Or do some serious reading. You need to figure out the particulars of them before you contemplate a home build. But a ready-made pistol from one of our CA friendly vendors or a ready-made rifle. If you want an AK I'd recommend picking up a WASR 10 (a generally G2G cheap AK) from Turner's Outdoorsman, or an AR. Don't mess with pistols until you get the rifle side.

^^^ This! Inquirer, you are a gentlemen.

and so I'm not continuing to thread crap...

Read up a little here for AK builds/party:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=292985

This isn't a true home build as most would define it (home built rcvr) but maybe look into this armorers course for AR by member globalarms1: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=9343049#post9343049

As far as price, you're going to need to price things out for yourself. The two platforms vary greatly and even within each platform (AK/AR) things can vary wildly. Read the above on AK, check some other threads for AR %80 builds and start pricing parts etc.

myk
10-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Why are oranges so much cheaper than fence posts? You're trying to compare two completely different things.

You've got 26,000,000,000 posts and that's the best you can come up with? So educate man, don't just be a jackass about it...

readysetgo
10-16-2012, 10:54 AM
You've got 26,000,000,000 posts and that's the best you can come up with? So educate man, don't just be a jackass about it...

He was educating. By pointing out your comparison was flawed. He didn't belittle you, just pointed something out. :confused:

eclectic
10-16-2012, 11:10 AM

He is. To us, the AKs are an entirely different animal than the AR. See ZFields' slutty biker analogy for clarification. The beast is the AK - they're cheap, reliable, let's say... "Not Precision", and they'll work whenever. The AR, on the other hand is an accurate, "not-as-finicky-as-they-say-but-way-more-finicky-than-an-AK" precision-made machine. Night and day to us.

Inquirer
10-16-2012, 10:09 PM
^^^ This! Inquirer, you are a gentlemen.

and so I'm not continuing to thread crap...

Read up a little here for AK builds/party:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=292985

This isn't a true home build as most would define it (home built rcvr) but maybe look into this armorers course for AR by member globalarms1: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=9343049#post9343049

As far as price, you're going to need to price things out for yourself. The two platforms vary greatly and even within each platform (AK/AR) things can vary wildly. Read the above on AK, check some other threads for AR %80 builds and start pricing parts etc.

Haha, Thanks eSeve. People showed me some patience when I first got here, and it was always appreciated. All the AK guys - tujunga, sj, etc - on here really steered me right, so I figured I'd save them the chore of explaining it to another new guy who's asking the same damn questions. Except for that zFields... WHAT-A DICK. :P

wash
10-16-2012, 10:25 PM
The cheapest easy pistol option is what I'm doing, an AMD65 kit built with a no trunnion hole Romy flat and a chopped off and modified AMD65 rear trunnion.

Since the gas system and recoil systems are stock, it should work without a hitch but it's not the shortest or sexiest AK pistol build.

The best is probably to get a Yugo PAP92 pistol or whatever it's called, it's a complete pistol built in Serbia from real Yugo Krink parts just without the stock and sometimes cheaper than buying the same parts kit.