PDA

View Full Version : New 6920...First Steps?

InvalidUserID
10-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Hey guys, I'm posting while waiting for my taxi to the airport but I just picked up my Colt 6920. Not much time to really play with it but I opened it up to inspect her. Everything looks good, no nicks or scratches just some "preservative" oil on the outside. I haven't had a chance to look inside but I'm guessing there would be some oil there as well.

Should I basically just take the BCG apart, clean and lube? I have a FrogLube kit on order that will be waiting when I get back along with some patches and a cleaning kit. I was going to use some brake clean on the ouside to remove the external oil.

I hope to shoot soon after I can find a carbine course to take. Thanks guys, can't wait to get going!

cabinetguy
10-14-2012, 8:48 AM
I usually like to clean and lube any new rifle, then its range time

BBB114
10-14-2012, 8:57 AM
I dont like to use brake cleaner on these guns. It seems to dry out the finish more than needed. Like said above, just a good cleaning and lube and sight it in.

The frog lube can be used to clean off all other oil in prep.

Boyan
www.Covered6.com

fighter4cage
10-14-2012, 9:47 AM
These arrive pretty well lubed up. I took mine out and put 6oo rounds through it and it worked flawless. Sights are pretty close as the facory sights them in before shipping.

I chose to sight in at 50 yards which made me about 2.5-3" high at 100 yards. (62 Grn)
I use a Aim Point Micro and 1/3 Co-Witness my mechanical sights. Works great with this rifle. Mine is a (MOE)

I did a shoot in Pheonix a few weeks ago with the grey group and really put this rifle through hell, It was full of dirt from shooting on my stomach, and from stuffing dirty ejected mags into it over 2 days. I did not clean it once over the weekend, just added a few drops of lube every now and then. I was one of the few people that had ZERO malfunctions with their weapon.

You made a good choice buying this rifle....

myk
10-14-2012, 3:58 PM
Whatever you do, don't bring that M4 to the airport. In any case, like you I noticed ALOT of oil on the rifle when I pulled it out. I just wiped down the outside, wiped down the BCG, re-oiled it, ran a bore snake a few times and took it to the range. Shot flawlessly, too...

cannon
10-14-2012, 4:04 PM
I usually like to clean and lube any new rifle, then its range time

Same here.

WW2Buff
10-14-2012, 4:17 PM
Same here.

This plus putting a sling on it.

filthy phil
10-14-2012, 4:23 PM
This plus putting a sling on it.

Ya
The stock sling sux
I got one of these when they were $10 shipped:cool:
http://www.botachtactical.com/kz6.html

InvalidUserID
10-14-2012, 5:56 PM
Thanks for the input and advice guys. No worries, rifle is at home...not traveling with me!

I'll just FL her up, inside and out, when I get back.

dat1callidude
10-14-2012, 8:07 PM
Colt no need to clean really unless you bought used then I would. Take it out and shoot it they are butter

nitroxdiver
10-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Great choice congrats! No need to brake cleaner the outside, just wipe it down with a rag. I like to pull the bolt, lube it, and examine the bore for any obstructions and maybe run a patch of clp down it before first taking a new rifle out.
Enjoy, 6920 is an excellent carbine. I'm not a fan of the rogers stock so replaced it with a sopmod.

Sent from classified location using Tapatalk.

Mossy Man
10-14-2012, 10:52 PM
but my FDE carbine kit

myk
10-15-2012, 1:38 AM
Great choice congrats! No need to brake cleaner the outside, just wipe it down with a rag. I like to pull the bolt, lube it, and examine the bore for any obstructions and maybe run a patch of clp down it before first taking a new rifle out.
Enjoy, 6920 is an excellent carbine. I'm not a fan of the rogers stock so replaced it with a sopmod.

Interesting. What's the difference between the two stocks?

nitroxdiver
10-15-2012, 7:35 AM
Interesting. What's the difference between the two stocks?
I just prefer the LMT. Comfort, better check wield, and looks better IMO.
Rogers and sopmod pics.

Fherot
10-15-2012, 7:45 AM
I got a polymer pin punch, 10-round magazines, chamber brush, ammo and a basic 2-point sling when I picked up my AR.

Everything else I'll just gradually get as time goes but for now I just want ammo. Probably all your Colt wants too.

GM4spd
10-15-2012, 8:49 AM
Dumb cardboard box question--are the new M4s coming thru with BLUE
end labels? Yes,I hate the Rogers stock but like the rifle. Pete

InvalidUserID
10-15-2012, 7:45 PM
Blue label? Mine was yellow...if that's what you're asking. And yes, Rogers superstock. This is my first rifle so I'll just use it now and see how I like it or don't.

And no, not used. Bought her new, everything factory sealed.

Dave07997S
10-15-2012, 8:18 PM
I ran a dry patch down the barrel, lubed her up and took her to the range.

I like the Roger SS..I see no need to change it. I think the original stock looks better, but I get good results with the Roger SS.

Dave

beretta929mm
10-15-2012, 8:19 PM
Try some Wolf or Tula steel cased ammo, if she eats them, she will eat anything.:D

FeuerFrei
10-16-2012, 9:13 AM
Hey guys, I'm posting while waiting for my taxi to the airport but I just picked up my Colt 6920. Not much time to really play with it but I opened it up to inspect her. Everything looks good, no nicks or scratches just some "preservative" oil on the outside. I haven't had a chance to look inside but I'm guessing there would be some oil there as well.

Should I basically just take the BCG apart, clean and lube? I have a FrogLube kit on order that will be waiting when I get back along with some patches and a cleaning kit. I was going to use some brake clean on the ouside to remove the external oil.

I hope to shoot soon after I can find a carbine course to take. Thanks guys, can't wait to get going!

Before the range; clean and inspect the rifle + check castle nut and gas key for staking. Make sure the gas rings on the bolt are present (3) and check the ejector for function. Do a function check of the fcg and varify the safety works properly. Check under the hand guards for loose gas tube. Check for any missing or improperly seated roll pins etc..
I would do this regardless of manufacturer. Trust through varification. :D