PDA

View Full Version : polymer BUIS

johnnydizzy
10-13-2012, 10:10 PM
who else makes these? so far I can only find Magpul and A.R.M.S.

AleksandreCz
10-13-2012, 10:19 PM
dont look any farther get magpul they are great I have been running mine for a while

Mossy Man
10-13-2012, 10:21 PM
i have the magpul ones, they are ok.

if they didn't come with my rifle, i would have bought a set of troy battle sights.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Troy_Rear_Folding_Battlesight_Black_p/ssig-fbs-r0bt-00.htm

more expensive but they will last

gun toting monkeyboy
10-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Magpuls are probably the best polymer sights out there. For what they are, they work great. I prefer metal BUIS, but I have used the magpul ones on range guns and hunting guns for several years. Just make sure you buy the real ones, not their PTS airsoft version. You see those on ebay and other auction sights all the time advertized as real ones. Truthfully though, if you have time to save up for real metal ones, I would. There are several brands like YHM that make decent ones for only a bit more cash.

-Mb

choprzrul
10-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Why buy polymer when you can get aluminum? (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/450886/ncstar-flip-up-front-sight-ar-15-flattop-aluminum-matte)

CK_32
10-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Double tap

CK_32
10-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Why buy polymer when you can get aluminum? (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/450886/ncstar-flip-up-front-sight-ar-15-flattop-aluminum-matte)

Haha very true... But if your goin to go aluminum might as well do it right TROY (http://store.troyind.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SSIG-DOA-RFxx-00)

But just go MagPul if your set on polymer..

AleksandreCz
10-14-2012, 12:10 AM

Yeah Dont buy those

Troy Sights are definatly better than Magpul but you wont regret purchasing either

CrippledPidgeon
10-14-2012, 6:24 AM
The magpuls are nice and lightweight, but I once saw a guy accidentally get his sling wrapped around the front sight when he wasn't looking, and when he brought his rifle up to fire, the sling ripped the front sight off the rifle.

They're far more expensive, but I prefer Troys.

choprzrul
10-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeah Dont buy those

Troy Sights are definatly better than Magpul but you wont regret purchasing either

Have you had experience with that particular sight, or are you saying this in general? It seems to review well on Midway. It's a front sight. It either does its job or not. If not, why not?

AleksandreCz
10-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Have you had experience with that particular sight, or are you saying this in general? It seems to review well on Midway. It's a front sight. It either does its job or not. If not, why not?

I have not tried those particular BUS but I have tried other NCstar stuff and al of it is either broken out of the box or breaks realy fast at least in my experience.

Jet Setter
10-14-2012, 1:32 PM
I have 2 sets of MBUS and a set of Aluminium ones. I like the MBUS a lot as it does not add too much weight and is a lot more sleek when folded down. They work very well and affordable.

zfields
10-14-2012, 3:39 PM
Something that may enlighten all the "AMG MUST BE METAL TO LAAAAAAAAAST" people

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

The first BUIS dropped was the Diamondhead. At first, damage appeared cosmetic only; however, the apertures could no longer be rotated, windage could not be adjusted, and there was a definite cant to the BUIS. Point of impact shifted approximately 16 MOA. We contacted Diamondhead with this result. They replied that a newer version was available which was more durable. We offered to test the new model but production issues meant they could not ship one to us.

Next came the Troy sight. Cosmetic damage was apparent, but the sight could still be operated normally. Point of impact shift was approximately 3 MOA.

The last set of BUIS was the Magpul MBUS. Damage was purely cosmetic and the sight remained fully functional. Point of impact shift was less than 1 MOA. Unlike the other sighting devices, a second drop was performed. Results did not change, and the sight remained functional.

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html#ixzz29Je9ZXtF
Kit Up!

CrippledPidgeon
10-15-2012, 5:15 AM

As I said, the MBUS is a nice lightweight sight that deploys quickly, but it doesn't hold up well to getting torqued.

The student in question was using a VTAC sling, with the front swivel mounted at the front of the left side rail. When the rifle was hanging from the sling, the sling slid from the left side of the front sight to the right. When he brought the rifle up, the sling wanted to move back to the left side of the rifle, and it took the sight with it.

If you're building a rifle with the intention of mostly using optics and keeping both sights folded, then go with the MBUS. If you want to keep your front sight deployed all the time, I'd choose something a bit more durable.

IronWorksTactical
10-15-2012, 6:05 AM
There is a reason these are called back up sights. They are not intended to be used as normal daily use sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fherot
10-15-2012, 7:53 AM
My M&P came with a rear mbus and I love it a lot so far. I won't be getting an optic for a long time and I don't plan on dropping my rifle anytime soon. I actually
Kind of want a carry handle A2 sight strangely enough.

Always liked flat top AR's but my front A2 post looks real snazzy on my little
Carbine and Im a fan of good open sights.

HK Dave
10-15-2012, 8:18 AM
OP, buy magpul if you want polymer or are just trying to save a few bucks.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with them and they will work just fine.

They also CAN be used as normal sights and DON'T have to be used as backup only.

CK_32
10-15-2012, 8:41 AM
There is a reason these are called back up sights. They are not intended to be used as normal daily use sights.

I can't stand when people say this... What do they become when your optic goes down... Primary... A sight should be solid back up or primary... Just because its a backup doesn't mean it's ok that it's jello for sights and flop all over...

Say your hunting or in war or SHTF what ever gets your hard on and your optic goes down and you can't get a replacement right away... Then what.. Sights no matter back up secondary or your 5th to last spare should be solid.. If your sights at 10 feet to the left and you don't hit anything you might as well ditch and drop the rifle... It's just a useless paper weight then.

DON'T SKIMP ON SIGHTS!! Rifles do no one any good if your shots at not on target.. And if you say well its CQB and it doesn't need to be that spot on... Then why buy sights at all..? If your just goin to shoot "close enough" just save your money and don't buy sights and have a it.

But saying they are just BUIS so they don't have to be quality is a stupid argument obviously started by someone who bought POS sights to justify spending $3k on their ninja rifle and not having any money left over for quality sights.

IronWorksTactical
10-15-2012, 9:20 AM
There is a huge difference between running them hard for a fairly short duration, like a patrol when your red dot goes down and running them non stop as primaries. That was my meaning. If I was running them as my primary I would buy solid fixed sights. Less flex points due to less moving parts. When you open and close something at a hinge point they wear and they will loosen up over time that is just simple mechanics and all there is to it.

I never said BUS's don't need to perform accurately but by design they will wear and cause tolerances to loosen up. In a week? No. In a month? Probably not. In a few thousand flips, probably. Also for clarification I didn't say they are only BUS's so they don't need to be quality I said they are back up sights by design not primary sights by design. Yes BUS's need to be spot on and accurate and work properly. If you are buying as primary sights don't buy folding if you are buying as BUS's buy good quality BUS's like Troy or Magpul. You make great points but you did take me out of context and changed my meaning around.

JNunez23
10-15-2012, 9:31 AM
NO POLYMER! ;)

Look at Troy or Daniel Defense..

Rorge Retson
10-15-2012, 9:47 AM
You do realize that the 'I' in BUIS stands for 'IRON' right?

CK_32
10-15-2012, 10:01 AM
There is a huge difference between running them hard for a fairly short duration, like a patrol when your red dot goes down and running them non stop as primaries. That was my meaning. If I was running them as my primary I would buy solid fixed sights. Less flex points due to less moving parts. When you open and close something at a hinge point they wear and they will loosen up over time that is just simple mechanics and all there is to it.

I never said BUS's don't need to perform accurately but by design they will wear and cause tolerances to loosen up. In a week? No. In a month? Probably not. In a few thousand flips, probably. Also for clarification I didn't say they are only BUS's so they don't need to be quality I said they are back up sights by design not primary sights by design. Yes BUS's need to be spot on and accurate and work properly. If you are buying as primary sights don't buy folding if you are buying as BUS's buy good quality BUS's like Troy or Magpul. You make great points but you did take me out of context and changed my meaning around.

I'm not trying to take your meanings around I just hate that its a BUIS so they don't have to preform BS some guys throw around here. I see your point and agree but I just wanted to bring light to that their just BUIS so get which ever quality isn't important idea guys keep spreading around when they have no clue wtf they are talking about and probably bought a optic before their irons and have yet to even use them or know how to properly sight in irons to be able to actually say.

I don't run anything I can't use full force especially on my serious firearms I may grab if sh** gets serious. Reason I ran my Troy flips as primary for 3 years before actually buying an optic for my AR.. If I don't trust it I won't use it unless its a range toy then I don't mind getting $5 specials to screw around with and if it doesn't work big deal.

IronWorksTactical
10-15-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm not trying to take your meanings around I just hate that its a BUIS so they don't have to preform BS some guys throw around here. I see your point and agree but I just wanted to bring light to that their just BUIS so get which ever quality isn't important idea guys keep spreading around when they have no clue wtf they are talking about and probably bought a optic before their irons and have yet to even use them or know how to properly sight in irons to be able to actually say.

I don't run anything I can't use full force especially on my serious firearms I may grab if sh** gets serious. Reason I ran my Troy flips as primary for 3 years before actually buying an optic for my AR.. If I don't trust it I won't use it unless its a range toy then I don't mind getting $5 specials to screw around with and if it doesn't work big deal.

Sounds like we are pretty much saying the same thing then. Works for me. Just didn't want to get lopped into that category of BUS's (yes I means iron) can be crap air soft as it they don't matter for anything.

cabinetguy
10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Just go with the magpul polymers if that is what you want, just dont place the on or over the gas block as they can melt. I have a pair on my lr-308 and they work just fine, it wasnt worth buying troys as I intend to get a scope in the future, and at that point they are more of decoration. I have a fixed troy rear on my ar-15 since it is as solid as can be and I doubt I will be putting on an optic anytime soon.

cabinetguy
10-15-2012, 11:25 AM

A big factor in this might be how aluminum will bend, but plastic can give a bit. I would be curios of a test like this done to the point of breakage, or lack of useability. Drop, test fire and repeat. I would bet the mbus would shatter eventually, while the metal sights would still work to a point, although needing kentucky windage after a point.

johncmng
10-15-2012, 12:52 PM
The polymers sight will melt on a gas block sight system with lots of rounds going through it. Don't ask me how I know :mad:

AleksandreCz
10-15-2012, 1:13 PM
The polymers sight will melt on a gas block sight system with lots of rounds going through it. Don't ask me how I know :mad:

How do you Know ?
I am kidding I think I can guess. I do have a few questions For You though I diont currently run them on the Gas Block But thinking about it. Did you have them Directly on the Gas Block or on the riser ? If Riser what metal was it made out of ? And the other did they melt when you rapid fired I mean just emptied several mags very rapidly or just during regular or hard use lets call it 1 round every 2 seconds over the course of several thousand rounds.

MXRider
10-15-2012, 1:21 PM
I will stick to my Knights Armament micro sights. :)

zfields
10-15-2012, 1:45 PM
A big factor in this might be how aluminum will bend, but plastic can give a bit. I would be curios of a test like this done to the point of breakage, or lack of useability. Drop, test fire and repeat. I would bet the mbus would shatter eventually, while the metal sights would still work to a point, although needing kentucky windage after a point.

Well, after the first test one of the alum sights was 16 MOA out of adjustment, and was no longer able to flip the apature.

I really think the poly may last out better then most people would think.

MXRider
10-15-2012, 2:12 PM
Well, after the first test one of the alum sights was 16 MOA out of adjustment, and was no longer able to flip the apature.

I really think the poly may last out better then most people would think.

They need to do that test with sights that don't lock in the up position.

johncmng
10-15-2012, 9:39 PM
How do you Know ?
I am kidding I think I can guess. I do have a few questions For You though I diont currently run them on the Gas Block But thinking about it. Did you have them Directly on the Gas Block or on the riser ? If Riser what metal was it made out of ? And the other did they melt when you rapid fired I mean just emptied several mags very rapidly or just during regular or hard use lets call it 1 round every 2 seconds over the course of several thousand rounds.

I ran it directly on the gas block. The sight just warped and the spring, sprung out of place. It melted with slow rate of fire but about 300 round was put through it.

762.DEFENSE
10-15-2012, 9:51 PM
Once you buy a TROY BUIS, you never look back.

smittty
10-15-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't have bus on any of my guns. Sure it's recommend for soldiers but my AR doesn't get abused any more than my scoped hunting rifle...which btw also doesn't need bus.

I would and I did, skip the bus and spend the money you save on better optics.

mvpatriot
10-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Just picked up some MBUS from Midway for my AR pistol, seems like they will fit the bill quite nicely.

Inquirer
10-15-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't have bus on any of my guns. Sure it's recommend for soldiers but my AR doesn't get abused any more than my scoped hunting rifle...which btw also doesn't need bus.

I would and I did, skip the bus and spend the money you save on better optics.

Valid point. I'm also with Zfields - that test is pretty compelling evidence that the MBUS does what it's supposed to do.

Squidward
10-16-2012, 4:07 PM
Magpul will be fine. You can buy a more robust/expensive sights but 99.9% civilian-owned of the carbines won't be seeing the abuse that may justify that 'need'.

Also, be aware of whether or not your carbine has a single plane if it's a flat top. . This means the gas block picatinney rail is the same height as the receiver's picatinney rail. If not, this will impact your choice(s) of a front sight.

Mine that are single plane have Maguls. The one that doesn't has a Matech rear and a Yankee Hill gas block front sight. Both are well-crafted and fully functional.

Good luck!