View Full Version : in the market for an AR

10-13-2012, 5:17 PM
i am looking into getting an AR in 556, i would want it to shoot steel ammo because of the cheap cost. i have read that stag is gtg for this.

Anybody had experience with stag and steel ammo? Or....... should i just get the sig 556 patrol is like 300/400 more and heavier.

Mossy Man
10-13-2012, 6:04 PM
Saiga. 223

10-13-2012, 7:40 PM
I have never tried firing steel cased ammo through either of my two ARs, but one of them is a Stag and I have not had any malfunctions with it over the 2 and a half years that I've owned it.

Mossy Man
10-13-2012, 7:52 PM
My M&P15 Sport has eaten around 2000 rounds only, about 1000 of which were cheap russian steel Tula. The rest are a mix of Federal AR223, Federal XM193s, PMC Bronze, and some federal M855

10-13-2012, 8:57 PM
Any AR should not have problems with steel ammo, just be aware it will get dirty faster with steel and you SHOULD clean it before you attempt to shoot brass.

10-13-2012, 9:57 PM
I bought an M&P15 Sport recently and LOVE it. I was at the store for a revolver, but this bad boy caught my eye. I am not a firearms expert, but am happy to defer to S&W. I highly recommend it.

10-13-2012, 10:12 PM
I had a stag with a 16" upper and I bought about 2K round of the wolf, and promply sold 1940 rounds of it after i had jam after jam after jam. The final jam that broke the camels back was when one of the spent rounds got stuck in my chamber.
The guys with Sig 556s don't seem to have a problem with the steel cased ammo. I have not shot any out of my sig 556, but the steel case stuff is not very accurate out to 400-500 yds anyways, so I don't bother with it.
The problem is that the .223 has a taper on the case, but you almost need a dial caliper to see the difference in the case width. The Americans develove ammo with brass cases because it has some inherant lubricity and is pretty maliable yet still a tough metal for making cases out of, so brass works well with the slightly tapered cases like 5.56x45 and 7.62x51. The Russians on the other hand thought it was dumb to use a semi-precious metal for making ammo casings, so they use steel on their 7.62x39 and 5.45x39. To prevent rusting of the cases, they laquer them. They also put a very pronounced taper on their cases to alleviate any feeding/ejection issues that insue from using the laquered cases. So when they make .223 cases out of steel and put that laquer crap on them, it has a tendency to gum up the chamber. if you shoot enough in a short enough time period, the chamber will get a little hot and and that laquer builds up in the chamber until you get a stuck round. Get a reloader if you want cheaper ammo for an AR, thats my $.02.

10-13-2012, 11:09 PM
What's your budget, and where are you located? I'm selling a Ruger SR-556E, a gas piston AR15 with an adjustable gas block. I haven't shot steel ammo out of it myself, but you can dial the gas up so it cycles perfect for any ammo type.