PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in an AR

Russianguy
10-13-2012, 4:45 PM
So I've finally started to give in into the AR series platform rifles. I'm a huge fan of the AK style rifles that I never even considered owning an AR, but I started to give in recently but still am not a huge fan, idk maybe that'll change when I shoot one extensively.

Anyways, all the AR experts out there, what should I be looking for when buying an an AR 15? Is it better to just build one? I really have no clue as to what to start looking for, they seem like such complicated builds with a million little parts that effect everything. Where should I start??

filthy phil
10-13-2012, 4:51 PM
My 1st build is starting with this lower because noveske barrels are among the most accurate out there. Im going with a 16" recon polygonal mid length gas system. As far as assembly of the ar, I dont wanna screw with it either. Theres an armorer near me that will do it for $40 :)
http://i.imgur.com/RS9p5.jpg
But for a factory built ar the colt 6920 is hard to beat money wise. And if things go bad and you gotta sell, the name sells itself
http://i.imgur.com/w22o7.jpg

CK_32
10-13-2012, 4:52 PM
Build. It's child's play buy a LPK lower and a complete upper and watch bronells videos and your set... 30 min of your day and its together... Probably save you $200 to $500 from complete equivalent.

I wasn't a AK guy and bought one on a WTF why not buy and now I love them..

Stick with BCM,stag,spikes,DD,DPMS,LMT,Mega,JD and some others are all quality.. If you want PM me on parts your interested in and ill help all I can doing a ton of research when building my first so I have a decent idea of what's good to go and what to stay away from for the most part..

GL and happy shooting

Exodus343
10-13-2012, 4:58 PM
I built my first AR, gave me a proud feeling after I took it to the range for the first time. What you want to do to start off is order a stripped lower with a decent lower parts kit then start off from there.

PastorPhil
10-13-2012, 5:25 PM
If you think you're going to want to change out parts, I'd recommend a build. If not, there's tons of relatively inexpensive rifles you can buy off the shelf. A little research will give you a complete parts list, then take that parts list and shop around for each part (from whatever manufacturer) you want...or just buy a kit. Either way, assembly is simple, FUN and a very rewarding experience.

LAKings22
10-13-2012, 5:57 PM
Build it. If you put good quality parts in your rifle you will end up spending a little more but you will end up with a great AR. With the AR platform it's hard not to upgrade it, you walk in to a gun show and 75% of the stuff are AR parts it becomes very tempting.

IronWorksTactical
10-13-2012, 6:01 PM
I agree build your own lower you'll save a ton just in tax alone FET and its easy and fun. As for the upper lots of good quality inexpensive uppers to the sky is the limit with custom builds. If I can be of service in any way don't hesitate to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russianguy
10-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, so it looks like most of you guys are on the side of building from the ground up. What got me attracted to the rifle in the first place is all the tons of customization options, but it does get a little intimidating when you want to choose what you want for the build with the thousands of AR parts you see at the gun show :confused:

IPSICK
10-13-2012, 10:41 PM
AR assembly is very easy with the right tools. If you're just building the lower, you only need a small hammer, pliers, and a punch. If you're assembling the upper, you'll need a few more specialized tools but nothing about the assembly will be too difficult.

Researching parts is half the fun for me.

sd_shooter
10-14-2012, 6:20 AM
I wouldn't start with a Noveske, you're paying 100% more for just the name. Compare the lowers at your LGS, it's the same product as something like a JD or Spikes.

When coming from the AK world, expect the following:
- Everything is a lot more expensive. It is possible to build an AR for around $600, but you'd be better off with something like a S&W sport. Most people tend to spend anywhere between $1k-2k on their AR (I ran a poll here but can't find it.)
- Since there is so much to customize (gas system, buffer weights, bolt carrier types), each rifle will yield different performance. With an AK you are virtually assured any ammo you feed it but an AR may be 'picky' and you may have to 'tune' it if you want to shoot Wolf or other cheap ammo. (There is a massive thread about an RGuns and a warning about steel cased ammo.)
- Cleaning is a royal PITA if you are the OCD type. AKs don't get very dirty at all and they are very easy to clean. ARs get very dirty and have many nooks and crannies. The current thinking is just to lube the heck out of it and leave it dirty. The parts that matter are self cleaning due to metal on metal contact.
- Much better ergonomics. You get 'bolt hold open' functionality right out of the box and magazine changes are easy.
- Better iron sights and lots of options for optics

I also vote for 'build it' but don't go too cheap if you plan to buy one.

SocomM4
10-14-2012, 9:14 AM
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

calishine
10-14-2012, 8:23 PM
Fyi, I am no AR expert.

Why build when a new Colt 6920 will cost you about $1150? If u decide you don't like AR's and stick to your AK's, your Colt will hold its value better.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1317-colt-sp6920-carbine-rifle.aspx

Kempfer
10-14-2012, 9:02 PM
So I've finally started to give in into the AR series platform rifles. I'm a huge fan of the AK style rifles that I never even considered owning an AR, but I started to give in recently but still am not a huge fan, idk maybe that'll change when I shoot one extensively.

Anyways, all the AR experts out there, what should I be looking for when buying an an AR 15? Is it better to just build one? I really have no clue as to what to start looking for, they seem like such complicated builds with a million little parts that effect everything. Where should I start??

I think an AR is like a 1911. You can go full blown Troy accessories with Noveske barrel, SOPMOD stock and a EoTech or you can go with medium cost stuff like MagPul accessories, DD-Omega rail and Bravo Company upper.

Good companies are Bravo Company, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Troy and LMT. I've dealt with those and have had no issues. For local, Rifle Gear and Parallax Tac are great guys.

evlblkrfl
10-14-2012, 9:18 PM
Cheaper to buy a complete rifle. Just buy a Stag 2H,or 4H, and go from there. The best bang for your buck AR15. Stag supplies a whole bunch of other big name companies with parts. Check them out first.

IronWorksTactical
10-15-2012, 12:21 PM
If you decide to go the stag route give me a call ill do my best to get you the best price possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smog7
10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
check out

http://palmettostatearmory.com/