PDA

View Full Version : New Mega MaTen, JP, 6.5 Creedmoor all done....

BigBamBoo
10-12-2012, 6:59 PM
Well I decided to put together the Mega Maten upper/lower set I had laying around. But I was not interested at all in a .308...after years of shooting slippery, high BC, "hot rod" cartridges. The .308 is just a turd to me...sorry .308 fans.

I was on the fence about a .260, 6CM, or 6.5CM. I ruled out the .260 for a few reasons, but mainly due to having to seat the long heavy bullets deep in the case to get them to fit in a mag.

Next was the 6Cm, and I was/am excited about that chambering, but GAP has a pretty long lead time on a barrel and bolt.

So...a few phone calls later to my buddies at JP Enterprises and my credit card had me a 22" bolt & barrel kit, 15 1/2" handguard, low mass bolt carrier, and a silent capture op spring. About 12 days from order to at my door.

Next came a trigger. Went with a AR Gold two stage. I have had good luck with them in my AR's, so figured go with what ya know.

Stock is a Magpul PRS and grip is a Ergo.

Slapped it all together and screwed the barrel on today. Topped it off with a Bushnell HDMR G2 in a JP 24mm base...time to hit the range!

So after a bunch of delays I made it out to the range around 3:00 and got setup.
I had a few boxes of Hornady 140gr Amax's. And after three shots to get zeroed I shot a few 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

Right away I could tell this rig wanted to shoot. First five shots were about 3/4".
The rifle was cycling very harshly and the bass was getting dents in the side from being slammed into the brass deflector. So I started cutting back the gas (adjustable gas block). It was very obvious it was WAY over gassed.
Another 5-6 rounds and I had it dialed I thought. Musc smoother cycling and less violent cycling. No more dents in the cases. Oh...and I was getting a avg. of 2675 FPS according to my cheapy chronograph.

I shot another five shot group and that yielded about 1/2" group. Pretty darn good for factory ammo and less then 25 rounds behind a new rifle.

Well with that out of the way time to stretch its legs. Went out to 600 yards. 4.3 mils had me nailing a 12" gong round after round....boring!

Dialed in 10 mils and lined up on the 1000 yard steel. First shot high and 3 1/2" mils right....oh...look at the wind flag. Winds moving pretty good out there.
Came down to 9 mils and held 3 1/2 mils into the wind....boom......ping. Let 4 more go and had no problem hammering the gong.

Loaded up another 5 rounds and let my 16 y.o. son take turn. He was able to keep 3 out of five on the steel.

I did have to open the gas up a bit. I think once some carbon built up it needed a bit more. It failed to lock the bolt open a couple of times.
Seems to be where it wants to be now. one thing...this rig is VERY sensitive to the adjustable gas block. And in the wide open position how it shipped, was waaaayyyy over gassed. Have I ever mentioned I will never own a AR type rifle without a adjustable block!?!?

Anyways....a few "peeves". One the JP bolt carrier is not notched for the dust cover detent. So I can not close the dust cover. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.
Next while DPMS mags fit and work flawlessly so far, I have two A.S.C mags that will not fit into the rifle. Which kinda sucks as they have more "room" in them so you could seat bullets a little longer. The DPMS ones has the tip of the Amax's right against the front of the mag.

Other then that...a fun rifle and round so far. I would have included pics of my 100 yard groups, but I forgot them on the target stand....

Take care,Stan

http://imageshack.us/a/img132/9816/dsc02852v.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/132/dsc02852v.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img109/2320/dsc0286qz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/dsc0286qz.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img37/9057/dsc0291copy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/dsc0291copy.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img820/7888/dsc0289copy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/dsc0289copy.jpg/)

CK_32
10-12-2012, 7:04 PM
Amazing rifle as always big...

I'm jelly! Show us her groups!

GlennG31
10-12-2012, 7:08 PM
Nice set-up, Stan! I always enjoy reading about your builds. :thumbsup:

IPSICK
10-12-2012, 7:38 PM
Another great rifle Stan! Wondering about that dust cover. I have a DPMS upper with a JP LMOS BCG and the dust cover works fine with it.

Yes, the adjustable gas block and .308 AR's seem to be very sensitive. A bit narrower operating window than the AR-15.

kurac
10-12-2012, 7:51 PM
nice read, thanks for sharing. I too am planning a 6.5 Creedmore but I think I am just going to go with the Fulton Titan upper and the long Krieger barrel.

BigBamBoo
10-12-2012, 9:23 PM
Thanks guys.
Yeah, the dust cover contacts the bolt carrier on the top and bottom. The detent is also kinda weak so that might have something to do with it. But I am not overly worried about it.

I will get some groups posted up soon. Need to order some dies,etc. so I can start loading for it. But with factory ammo that shoots this good for under $25.00 a box, it makes me think about just shooting factory ammo through it.

Take care,Stan

nimoZ
10-24-2012, 8:30 PM
Nice build, very inspiring :)
- Looking forward to see some targets

Rorge Retson
10-24-2012, 9:46 PM
Is that a NiB upper/lower set?

SoCalXD
10-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Great writeup and nice rig. Enjoy that 1k Gong!

skkeeter
10-24-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm really excited about this round. I have an order for a Badger m2008 action that I plan on letting Ga Precision build a rifle on.

phish
10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor drawing, the 6 Creedmoor looks pretty similar to a 6XC, which you have also

How do the two cases compare, other than neck diameter?

ultimatetaba
10-25-2012, 4:18 AM
Oh my gawdd that thing is so beautiful :notworthy:

mlevans66
10-25-2012, 5:27 AM
That is one sweet looking shooter. :thumbsup:

Sniper3142
10-25-2012, 8:10 AM
That build came out very nicely done.

BigBamBoo
10-25-2012, 9:09 AM
Thanks folks.

Yes, this is the NiB receiver set. Coupled with the JP bolt carrier and silent capture spring it feels like everything is on roller bearings when you manupilute the bolt.

Skeet....I think you will enjoy this caliber. With the heavier bullets in a bolt gun it should really shine. I would recomend a longer barrel to get some added velocity.

Phish...yep...very similar to the XC case design. The 6 Creedmoor was a natural evolution in hodrodding a given cartridge (the 6.5). From what I have been reading about it, everyone seems very pleased with the results.
I would still like to try it out one day.

As soon as the range is opened back up (closed for a few weeks) I will get back out and do a better range report with pics of targets. Maybe even do a video report and some 600-1000 yard shots.

Take care,Stan

dlouie87
10-25-2012, 9:20 AM
Always top of the line build Stan. Show us some groups when you get chance.

By the way, how do you like the AR gold? I'm thinking about that or the geiselle hi-speed.

Is the Ar gold hammer rounded or notched?

-Dan

BigBamBoo
10-25-2012, 9:35 AM
Hey Dan. What's new in your world?

I like the AR gold trigger. I have them in all my current AR platforms. Geiselle makes some nice triggers too.
The AR gold has a rounded hammer. Oh...and they are two stage...some folks do not care for two stage triggers, I for one really like a good two stage trigger. I keep thinking about dropping a TRG trigger in my Tikka.

I will post up some pics of the trigger latter on for you.

Take care,Stan

IPSICK
10-25-2012, 9:59 AM
Hopefully Stan doesn't mind me commenting:

AR Gold pic:

http://308ar.com/american_trigger_sr_gold/American_Trigger_SR_Gold_rt-5-sm.jpg

And yes it is a 2-stage but not in the traditional AR sense. About the closest I can get to describing it is calling it a custom 1911 trigger for the AR platform. 1st stage is a short and very light take up (ounces) followed by a short 2nd stage (2+ lbs). Reset feels like a custom 1911 trigger also. Traditional AR triggers have very long pulls and resets by comparison.

Stan, did you have to fit the safety to the SR Gold trigger for your MaTen setup? I had to do some fitting with the safety to get the SR Gold to pull as well as my AR Gold in my JP-15.

762.DEFENSE
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Your rifle looks great!!!

BigBamBoo
10-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi IP.
No...no fitting in any of the AR platforms I use them in. I have two Seekins lower/JP upper based AR's with them. But you are not alone. I have read about folks having to "clean up" the selector switch on some installs.

And you are right on the two-stage. It is a CORRECT two stage...not the reverse setup that some two stage AR triggers employ. Makes for very easy fast, accurate, shooting and double taps.

Take care,Stan

IPSICK
10-25-2012, 10:44 AM
... It is a CORRECT two stage...not the reverse setup that some two stage AR triggers employ...

Take care,Stan

That's a good way of putting it, but don't ever let the G fans hear you say that.

bombadillo
10-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Dude, you and all your JP goodies, I hate you!!!! (but still want to swing over and shoot the 600 yard range with you in Redding) SUPER jealous of your toys right now. I had to sell off most of my disposable AR's like my last 2 JP's, and 2 16" tactical style setups for baby fund. Now with a 17 month old and a 2 week old, priorities have changed a bit although I still won't ever give up certain handguns. If you haven't already experienced it, the ARgold trigger is BAR NONE the best trigger out there for a 2 stage. I'm a HUGE Geissele fan, but the ARgold just blows it out of the water.

I'll bet that thing will flat drive tacks when you're done with breaking it in.

skkeeter
10-25-2012, 2:54 PM
Thanks folks.

Yes, this is the NiB receiver set. Coupled with the JP bolt carrier and silent capture spring it feels like everything is on roller bearings when you manupilute the bolt.

Skeet....I think you will enjoy this caliber. With the heavier bullets in a bolt gun it should really shine. I would recomend a longer barrel to get some added velocity.

Phish...yep...very similar to the XC case design. The 6 Creedmoor was a natural evolution in hodrodding a given cartridge (the 6.5). From what I have been reading about it, everyone seems very pleased with the results.
I would still like to try it out one day.

As soon as the range is opened back up (closed for a few weeks) I will get back out and do a better range report with pics of targets. Maybe even do a video report and some 600-1000 yard shots.

Take care,Stan

I'm not a huge fan of long barrels as I hunt with my bolt guns. I was thinking about somewhere in the vicinity of 23". I was reading on the hide that people were getting 2800fps out of 23's using 140's. What do you think? I imagine that I won't be shooting it past a grand anyway. If I do, i'll use the SRS for that:)

BigBamBoo
10-25-2012, 2:57 PM
Hey Bomb....CONGRATS on the new little one. Kids are great....when they are someone elses!! LOL

Life will slow down and you will be able to buy new toys. It goes by a lot faster then most realize until they wake up and wonder who the old guy in the mirror is.
I won't say kids ever stop costing money....my 24 yo daughter recently started a dental program and guess what??? Daddy, I need money.

Anyways...take care of those babies and enjoy them before they get an opinion on the world. And standing invite to come shoot...just give me a day or two notice.

Take care,Stan

BigBamBoo
10-25-2012, 3:02 PM
That sounds about right. I personally would run 130 VLD's or JLK's. Same or better BC then the 140 Amax's and more velocity.
Start by pooring in about 42 grains of H4350....seat some 130 VLD's just kissing the lands and you should see some good results.

I ran the 130's in my 6.5X47 with right around that powder charge and out of my 27" Krieger I was right at 3000 FPS.

Let me know how it turns out.

skkeeter
10-25-2012, 6:47 PM
That sounds about right. I personally would run 130 VLD's or JLK's. Same or better BC then the 140 Amax's and more velocity.
Start by pooring in about 42 grains of H4350....seat some 130 VLD's just kissing the lands and you should see some good results.

I ran the 130's in my 6.5X47 with right around that powder charge and out of my 27" Krieger I was right at 3000 FPS.

Let me know how it turns out.

I will, after my 6-8 month wait from Gap!!! Thanks for the advice and happy shooting.

justin_5585
10-25-2012, 7:33 PM
How do you like the hdmr? I thought you were a night force guy?

BigBamBoo
10-25-2012, 7:56 PM
For the price (about half the cost of a NF if you shop around) I think the HDMR is a very decent, no frills scope.
Glass is about on par with NF to my eye, without the blue tint/hue that the NF's exhibit. And it is very well built. It is pretty heavy though.

I know some folks have had issues with chromatic aberration, but this one I have does not have that problem.

I wish it had a zero stop, and 10 mil per turn turets (the new model coming out in 2013 is supposed to have those features), but again....for a $1075.00 scope it is a lot of glass.

Take care,Stan

BigBamBoo
10-25-2012, 8:02 PM
Here is a though the scope pic of the HDMR at 21X. As you can see....it is pretty nice glass.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3270/dsc00395copyf.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/dsc00395copyf.jpg/)

SVI4ME
10-25-2012, 8:36 PM
Is that the JP comp? I just assembled a 308 with the captured buffer and JP big bore comp. Are these two items the cats meow???

BigBamBoo
10-25-2012, 8:43 PM
Yep....JP barrel, with large comp, adjustable gas block, JP hand guard, and heatsink plus JP low mass bolt carrier. The whole system works very well together.

SVI4ME
10-25-2012, 8:48 PM
Yep....JP barrel, with large comp, adjustable gas block, JP hand guard, and heatsink plus JP low mass bolt carrier. The whole system works very well together.

Almost like mine but no JP Barrel or heat sink.
Enjoy

Rorge Retson
10-26-2012, 1:21 AM
Here is a though the scope pic of the HDMR at 21X. As you can see....it is pretty nice glass.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3270/dsc00395copyf.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/dsc00395copyf.jpg/)

Is it my imagination or is the sight picture turned slightly clockwise by a degree or two?

BigBamBoo
10-26-2012, 11:14 AM
That is just the way the picture turned out....had to double check though!

NeoGeo630
10-26-2012, 5:06 PM
Killer setup Stan. Looking to get the Bushnell HDMR G2 for my Remy 700 I'm currently working on. From what I hear/read, can't beat it for the money.

wash
11-08-2012, 11:12 PM
I started putting together a TM-10 80% that I just finished and when I started looking for the plain Jane components for a budget build, they were all gone (and more expensive than I remembered).

That pushed me to build a rifle kind of inspired by yours.

Since I couldn't find cheap parts, why mess with a cheap .308 barrel? I got a Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, not as nice as JP but pretty nice. I did find a DPMS upper but TM just released a matching TM-10 upper so I went for matching. Then I got a JP BCG and the JP silent captured spring. I want to go light weight so I will have my barrel reprofiled to take a Syrac adjustable gas block and I've got a DPMS carbon fiber free float tube, not as sexy as JP but it's light and will get the job done.

My last parts have shipped and will be here soon so I hope mine will shoot somewhere near as nice as yours does. I have a feeling my DPMS LPK trigger will hold it back some.

Any way, thanks for showing us what a rifle like that can do so that I can have something to aim for.

diego-ted
11-09-2012, 7:55 AM
Bad to the bone as always Stan!!

Diego

762.DEFENSE
11-09-2012, 8:17 AM
Beautiful rifle, and lovin' that glass!

BigBamBoo
11-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys. I have not forgotten the range report....the range reopens in a couple of weeks and I will get out there and post up some targets.

Take care,Stan

eclectic
11-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Wow, that's incredible. Well done, man. Really makes me want a .308 PAR.