PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area AK gurus?

thefitter
10-12-2012, 3:58 PM
I'm mostly a M14 and bolt guy but at times I have pondered buying or building a AK.

But every time I get the itch I'm reminded how complicated putting together a a really good one is. So many brand/country origins and parts options and other variables I'm not savvy with always discourages me.

Are there any Bay Area AK gurus around that might be willing to impart some wisdom to a AK rookie with a lot of stupid questions?

I'm in the East Bay and shoot at Chabot most weekends. Sometimes I get to SAC but not often.

Thanks

MrPlink
10-12-2012, 4:07 PM
What exactly did you want to know?

thefitter
10-12-2012, 4:15 PM
What exactly did you want to know?

Everything!

OK... how about buy or build?

tujungatoes
10-12-2012, 4:24 PM
Everything!

OK... how about buy or build?

Do you get any enjoyment out of building things that you could buy for less money? If so then building is probably for you....If you said "WTF?!? why the hell would I do that?" while reading the previous sentences, you should probably buy.

thefitter
10-12-2012, 4:28 PM
Do you get any enjoyment out of building things that you could buy for less money? If so then building is probably for you....If you said "WTF?!? why the hell would I do that?" while reading the previous sentences, you should probably buy.

My first M1A was a Springfield Armory. After that I started building my own on LRB receivers with USGI parts and custom after market parts. The M14 rifles I built cost twice what the Springfields go for.

I have no problem building things my self as long as the final quality justifies the expense and time.

Thanks

tujungatoes
10-12-2012, 4:33 PM
My first M1A was a Springfield Armory. After that I started building my own on LRB receivers with USGI parts and custom after market parts. The M14 rifles I build cost twice what the Springfields go for.

I have no problem building things my self as long as the final quality justifies the expense and time.

Thanks

Oh yeah...you're the right kind of stupid. You need to build.:43:

As far as parts kits go. They're all pretty much the same(functionally that is). The differences are more in configuration and(to a degree) finish machining. IMO it's really more about that you like the look/feel of better.

thefitter
10-12-2012, 4:42 PM
Oh yeah...you're the right kind of stupid. You need to build.:43:

As far as parts kits go. They're all pretty much the same(functionally that is). The differences are more in configuration and(to a degree) finish machining. IMO it's really more about that you like the look/feel of better.

Functionality is more important than looks however I really appreciate good machining, fit and finish.

Best receiver, bolt, barrel, trigger group? I like the idea of using authentic Eastern bloc components if they are the best.

Thanks

motox917
10-12-2012, 4:45 PM
So are Bulgarian parts kits decent?
like this one http://armsofamerica.com/completebulgarianakm-74partskitwithpre-builtbarrel32999.aspx

I'm not trying to thread jack ya OP, I'm in the same boat and don't want to start another thread asking the same questions :D

tujungatoes
10-12-2012, 5:57 PM
Functionality is more important than looks however I really appreciate good machining, fit and finish.

Best receiver, bolt, barrel, trigger group? I like the idea of using authentic Eastern bloc components if they are the best.

Thanks

As far as commercial receivers. NoDak Spud is the most popular. Their quality is good and they have many models to choose from for different parts kits. I hear good things about 74ullc, but haven't built on one of their receivers yet. Supposed to be more authentic as far as welds and selector markings. More of a boutique item.

You also have the option to build from an 80% receiver flat. The flats from ak-builder are really the only 80% option I'd recommend.

Kits with original euro barrels are few and far between these days and command a significantly higher price. US barrels got a bad reputation early on, but there are several manufacturers out there making quality tubes for AK's now. Apex gun parts also has romanian manufacture barrels that fit most standard AKM kits. The quality on those is quite good.

Most builders don't use the foreign fire control parts. They are some of the easiest parts to swap for US components to keep the rifle 922r compliant. Numerous domestic options out there. I use tapco because they're cheap, can be made moderately smooth, and because putting a match trigger on an AK is like putting lipstick on a pig.

like this one http://armsofamerica.com/completebulgarianakm-74partskitwithpre-builtbarrel32999.aspx

I'm not trying to thread jack ya OP, I'm in the same boat and don't want to start another thread asking the same questions :D

Bulgarian stuff is good to go.:thumbsup:

thefitter
10-12-2012, 6:08 PM
As far as commercial receivers. NoDak Spud is the most popular. Their quality is good and they have many models to choose from for different parts kits. I hear good things about 74ullc, but haven't built on one of their receivers yet. Supposed to be more authentic as far as welds and selector markings. More of a boutique item.

You also have the option to build from an 80% receiver flat. The flats from ak-builder are really the only 80% option I'd recommend.

Kits with original euro barrels are few and far between these days and command a significantly higher price. US barrels got a bad reputation early on, but there are several manufacturers out there making quality tubes for AK's now. Apex gun parts also has romanian manufacture barrels that fit most standard AKM kits. The quality on those is quite good.

Most builders don't use the foreign fire control parts. They are some of the easiest parts to swap for US components to keep the rifle 922r compliant. Numerous domestic options out there. I use tapco because they're cheap, can be made moderately smooth, and because putting a match trigger on an AK is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Bulgarian stuff is good to go.:thumbsup:

Thanks for this, but it illustrates my original point. I went to the NoDak Spud webpage and they had 20 different receivers?!!! Holy ****! I have no clue.

You know how many types of M14 receivers there are? ONE!!

elx144
10-12-2012, 6:09 PM
I bought my first one complete so when I build one I will be able to use the first one as a reference. What I got was the California version of the Arsenal SGL-33. The bullet button isn't removable, which sucks for when I go to Nevada, but hey now I have another reason to learn to work on AK's and rivets. One thing I've seen is modified bolt cutters that are setup to smash the rivets. Someone was selling a pair here on Calguns. So I buy about a gun every month and I just got a hunting rifle, but an AK kit is on my soon to get list. I was going to go with a bent but not drilled receiver. Someone is selling kits for $300 on gun broker. The rails that the bolt ride on have to be installed. They should be welded, but you can get away with just riveting them in place. You can always get a receiver that's already put together for a little more money and a ten day wait. Either way is legal.

tujungatoes
10-12-2012, 6:33 PM
Receiver type will be depend on what kit you end up choosing.

I forgot to mention check out the stickies in the gunsmithing section here on CGN. Read 69mach1's build party tutorial. It should help to answer some of your questions. There are alot of experienced builders on CGN to answer the rest, and two of the best I know are in the bay area(nicoroshi and sjgunguy24).

00Medic
10-12-2012, 6:56 PM

Just got two of these myself and they are beautiful. Probably going to get two more with the poly furniture next week.

sffred
10-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Receiver type will be depend on what kit you end up choosing.

I forgot to mention check out the stickies in the gunsmithing section here on CGN. Read 69mach1's build party tutorial. It should help to answer some of your questions. There are alot of experienced builders on CGN to answer the rest, and two of the best I know are in the bay area(nicoroshi and sjgunguy24).

+1 for that!
Building AK's are very addicting! Fml

calixt0
10-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Ok So what is the difference between Russian/Bulgarian/Hungarian/Chinese/Egyptian variants. If I wanted a simple ak74 with wood or plastic furniture what should I be looking at in kits?

21SF
10-16-2012, 1:34 PM
Get a hold of Niko, he is close and would probably help.

tujungatoes
10-16-2012, 7:35 PM
Ok So what is the difference between Russian/Bulgarian/Hungarian/Chinese/Egyptian variants. If I wanted a simple ak74 with wood or plastic furniture what should I be looking at in kits?

With the exception of the Chinese...looks. If you want a 74 on the cheap and easy go Bulgarian.

motox917
10-16-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm about 5 minutes away from buying a Bulgarian kit from Arms of America(link below). So besides buying the kit, barrel, receiver flat, and rivet set is there anything else would I need to have a complete gun?

http://armsofamerica.com/completebulgarianakm-74partskitwithpre-builtbarrel32999.aspx

sffred
10-17-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm about 5 minutes away from buying a Bulgarian kit from Arms of America(link below). So besides buying the kit, barrel, receiver flat, and rivet set is there anything else would I need to have a complete gun?

http://armsofamerica.com/completebulgarianakm-74partskitwithpre-builtbarrel32999.aspx

Center support (rivet and sleeve),
total of six 922r parts. (Must be US made),
(I.e. = FCG *counts as 3*, brake/flash hider, pg, hg's, stock, follower, floor plate, barrel, etc.)

And ammo! :D

motox917
10-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Center support (rivet and sleeve),
total of six 922r parts. (Must be US made),
(I.e. = FCG *counts as 3*, brake/flash hider, pg, hg's, stock, follower, floor plate, barrel, etc.)

And ammo! :D

Well I guess its time to start buying! haha thanks bud

Flintlock Tom
10-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I didn't see "lower rails" (bolt rails?) on your list. Some receiver flats come with them.