PDA

View Full Version : Los Padres NF closed to target shooting

MikeH1
07-11-2007, 3:32 PM
As of July 9 until the end of 2007 fire season. I found this out yesterday, after thinking I was going shooting there. Just past Winchester Cyn Gun Club there is a sign and a handout tacked to it. Guess it's back to the desert for me(when it cools down a bit)

Michael303
07-11-2007, 3:56 PM
Sigh, here we go again. With fire season upon us, they shut down target shooting everywhere except for Ojai and Winchester. Makes sense- there have been fires up there before due to errant sparks from careless shooters. Sure hope the rain comes early this year.

Here's the press release (http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/news/2007/fire-restrictions-7-2007.shtml).

desertram800
07-11-2007, 5:34 PM
Dang! I guess that means that Cherry Creek is a no-go. I love Cherry Creek, it's free, and no range nazis to worry about!

MikeH1
07-11-2007, 7:37 PM
Dang! I guess that means that Cherry Creek is a no-go. I love Cherry Creek, it's free, and no range nazis to worry about!

Whereabouts is Cherry Creek?

caduckgunner
07-11-2007, 7:48 PM
I would say we should get used to it this year. I'm sure Angeles and San Bernardino NF will be next. With the lack of rains and dry hot weather it's only a mater of time. Then you add the a-hole who as shooting steel core ammo at Burro Canyon range last weekend and caught the hillside on fire. :rolleyes:, it doesn't look good. Thank god for me I already live in the desert, so I don't have to drive fat to shot. ;)

Michael303
07-11-2007, 8:01 PM
Never heard of Cherry Creek. The big thing for me is fire danger. It pains me not to be able to shoot, but I will not be the responsible party for Painted Cave Redux. I usually head up to Santa Barbara and do my shooting at East Camino, only because it’s easy to get to. If anybody knows of an open place to shoot in the Ventura area, I’d be very grateful. And no, the Colonia doesn’t count. :)

desertram800
07-11-2007, 8:27 PM
Cherry Creek is up the 33 about 15 minutes past the Ojai Gun Club. It's a dirt road that is open for shooting into the hillsides on either side of the road. Hard to see, if you don't know it's there you probably won't find it.

Michael303
07-11-2007, 9:08 PM
Cherry Creek is up the 33 about 15 minutes past the Ojai Gun Club. It's a dirt road that is open for shooting into the hillsides on either side of the road. Hard to see, if you don't know it's there you probably won't find it.

Now that's a bit closer to home than ECC. I think I may have to check it out when the rain comes and we can shoot in the LPNF again.

Rumpled
07-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Same has happened in San Berdoo NF
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/documents/fire_restrictions_070607rev.pdf
Target shooting will be permitted only at developed shooting ranges, including the Lytle Creek Firing Range, Big Bear Sportsman’s Club and Lake Arrowhead Fish and Game Conservation Club Target Range. Target shooting restrictions will not impact the use of a firearm while legally hunting.

desertram800
07-14-2007, 5:39 AM
If anybody knows of an open place to shoot in the Ventura area, I’d be very grateful. And no, the Colonia doesn’t count. :)

Hahah! I live on Victoria close to the base and I hear gunshots WAY more often than I'd like to! Needless to say I almost always "pack" when I'm in the area. I used to go shooting up at Cherry Creek all the time, when it opens up again, myself and my shooting buddys can show you where its at if you want.

Michael303
07-14-2007, 8:04 AM
Hahah! I live on Victoria close to the base and I hear gunshots WAY more often than I'd like to! Needless to say I almost always "pack" when I'm in the area. I used to go shooting up at Cherry Creek all the time, when it opens up again, myself and my shooting buddys can show you where its at if you want.

Thanks for the invite. Sounds like Cherry Creek might be Ventura's ECC, which is great for 1919 shooters and such who don't like getting funny looks at regular ranges. I live in Ventura and work in Oxnard, so I have taken my pistols to the target range on Oxnard Blvd on a few occasions. Not really a fan of that place, but there's not much else there.