PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed on DPMS

HAMBONE0
10-11-2012, 3:29 PM
HEY!
My mother bought a DPMS Oracle AR-15 in Idaho. She want me to have it but we are not sure what the law is exactly.
There is a bullet button being installed on the rifle. No high cap. mags are being sent.

We have called several FFL's here and they say it can come in because it has a bullet button installed on it. DPMS is listed on the DOJ as not allowed but these FFL's are saying it can come in. The Manufacture says "we think the lower cant go to cali"

My questions are:

1. Can this AR-15 come into cali?
2. What happens if the gun gets to the FFL he accepts it, can the DOJ so no?

Please help me out on what to do.

Thank You
HAMBONE

CK_32
10-11-2012, 3:36 PM
Check the list for the name of your lower... If its listed on the list by name have your mother or someone sell or trade the lower for another one that's not on the list and have the rest of your rifle be out on the new lower...

Before you ask why it's named if it is and the simple answer is because CA said so... The guns listed are no more dangerous than any other lower.. CA is just a pain in the a** to be a pain..

HAMBONE0
10-11-2012, 3:41 PM
it is a DPMS complete upper and lower. I know cali is a pain in the ***** I just cant figure out why some FFL's say no prblems and others not sure?

CK_32
10-11-2012, 3:55 PM
Because some don't know and some do... And some gunk they do but don't...

And you can take appart your lower if you want to swap it into another stripped lower for around $120 again or just trade someone... Or you can swap complete lowers if that's easier... But again I do t even know if your lower is actually listed you just need to check and for all I know it could be just fine and not on the list..

jallen58
10-11-2012, 4:09 PM
if it has full atuto function that could be why

Mossy Man
10-11-2012, 4:19 PM
DPMS Oracle is not named, should be fine.

If it was a DPMS Panther, you'd be screwed and would have to buy a new lower.

baih777
10-11-2012, 4:23 PM
Have your mother take a pic of both sides of the lower. Close up of the engraving. Cover up the serial number.
Post the pics . What area of cali are you located? Maybe we can recommend a FFL for you.

HAMBONE0
10-11-2012, 4:54 PM
ok I will have her get close up pics of both sides of the lower. I live in Lakeside, East County San Diego

baih777
10-11-2012, 5:04 PM
did you call Parralax Tactical
http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/

bjl333
10-11-2012, 5:07 PM
Have your mother take a pic of both sides of the lower. Close up of the engraving. Cover up the serial number.
Post the pics . What area of cali are you located? Maybe we can recommend a FFL for you.

^ this ^

HAMBONE0
10-11-2012, 5:24 PM
Here they are. It is sans bullet button for now till we figure this out.

Mossy Man
10-11-2012, 5:29 PM
Here they are. It is sans bullet button for now till we figure this out.

the lower rollmark looks like a banned by name lower

Mossy Man
10-11-2012, 5:30 PM
or i don't know...the model number is A-15

baih777
10-11-2012, 5:32 PM
hate to tell you this but that lower is only illegal in cali because it says Panther Arms. wait for others to chime in.

a new lower is only $99.00 easy change of parts but your mother cant ship it to cali. she needs to disasemble before shipping it to you. remove lower.
bummer

InkHammer
10-11-2012, 5:39 PM
At any rate, What a fuggin cool Mom!!

Josh.Ollar
10-11-2012, 5:41 PM
DPMS lowers are not ca legal. they had there name on a band list from along time ago and cant get off it even with a bullet button NO IN CALI its the politics of our great state

Mossy Man
10-11-2012, 5:41 PM
anyone have a DPMS here?

what does the CA-compliant rollmark look like?

Josh.Ollar
10-11-2012, 5:42 PM
At any rate, What a fuggin cool Mom!!

^^ lucky guy

Mossy Man
10-11-2012, 5:42 PM
DPMS lowers are not ca legal. they had there name on a band list from along time ago and cant get off it even with a bullet button NO IN CALI its the politics of our great state

DPMS sells CA-compliant models.

I just can't get google to show me what one of their CA-compliant lowers' rollmark looks like.

Josh.Ollar
10-11-2012, 5:47 PM
depending on the gun store i would see if they will switch with a different lower or have her send you the rifle minus the lower. sale the DPMS lower and buy a stripped lower here in the golden state

Josh.Ollar
10-11-2012, 5:50 PM
DPMS sells CA-compliant models.

I just can't get google to show me what one of their CA-compliant lowers' rollmark looks like.

my buddies and i tried to build all DPMS rifles but wasnt able to. ive never seen a DPMS lower in cali
we used REH lowers and DPMS everything else

Mossy Man
10-11-2012, 5:54 PM
my buddies and i tried to build all DPMS rifles but wasnt able to. ive never seen a DPMS lower in cali

i know my LGS sells DPMS rifles....i do not know what lowers they put on them; i assumed they were DPMS lowers.

Plus, DPMS has CA-compliant rifles on their website....what lowers do they use?

http://www.dpmsinc.com/California-Compliant_ep_81-1.html

CK_32
10-11-2012, 5:55 PM

The reason is because there is so much head ache involved to find them... But I believe they did get one or two off list... Just because you don't see them dowsnt mean they don't exist... But for that fact I have seen one guy on the net with one..

I remember because everyone made a stink of it being evil and illegal but it checked out.

CK_32
10-11-2012, 5:57 PM
But OP that saying "panther arms" is where I see a red flag...

See if your mom can have a shop over there take the lower appart and buy or trade them for a different CA legal one.. Have her explain the reasoning and I'm sure some shop will understand and help out...

Or just sell the rifle she bought you over there grab the $$ and buy one here... Done and done no more head ache and changing it.. And be done with it

Josh.Ollar
10-11-2012, 6:02 PM
im not sure but all they would have to do is not print "DPMS" on it and they would get around the issue. Google just came up with some DPMS lowers for sale :confused:

good luck

Mossy Man
10-11-2012, 6:04 PM
im not sure but all they would have to do is not print "DPMS" on it and they would get around the issue. Google just came up with some DPMS lowers for sale :confused:

good luck

it can say DPMS on it.

It just can't say DPMS Panther on it.

Colt 6920LE is banned by name, and illegal.

But Colt 6920SP is fine.

CK_32
10-11-2012, 6:24 PM
it can say DPMS on it.

It just can't say DPMS Panther on it.

Colt 6920LE is banned by name, and illegal.

But Colt 6920SP is fine.

Man speaks the facts

HAMBONE0
10-12-2012, 5:06 AM
damn california!!! OK I think my step Dad just got a nice AR-15....Now onto looking for something here. Since I have to build it any suggestions on more bang for my buck?

Arkangel
10-12-2012, 5:42 AM
damn california!!! OK I think my step Dad just got a nice AR-15....Now onto looking for something here. Since I have to build it any suggestions on more bang for my buck?

PSA, great prices... but slow to ship.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

If you want a local resource, head over to Parallax tactical.

gun toting monkeyboy
10-12-2012, 4:04 PM
If your mom can take it in to a local gun store back there and get the lower switched out, you are good to go. If not, you could go hit parallax and get a complete lower there. Then just have your mom ship you the upper through the mail. Slap that on your new lower and you are set to go. Just make sure that it is California compliant. Adding a bullet button to your lower, or having her put one on the one back there before she sends it will fix it up nicely.

-Mb

-Mb