PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Arms

Jet Setter
10-11-2012, 2:52 PM
Hello all,

Just a bit of a newbie when it comes to the AR world. I have done a lot of research and have tried a few. I grew up shooting a military M16.

Anyway, just wanted to get some thought on RRA uppers. Are they well made, good quality, reliable, etc?

Thank you.

bjl333
10-11-2012, 2:56 PM
RRA has a solid name out there. If you read into all the AR stuff there are many more great quality AR suppliers out there. But you wouldn't go wrong with Rock River.

17+1
10-11-2012, 3:13 PM
My service rifle upper has been accurate and reliable so far. 750+ rounds and not one jam, hiccup, or any other problem. Has the chromed BCG for the bling factor. ;)

CK_32
10-11-2012, 3:23 PM
RRAs are nice also my first decision for a complete luckily I learned more and built my own..

IMO RRA is slightly over priced.. There is better options out there (DD,LMT,SPIKES,Stag,BCM,ect)

Exile Machine
10-11-2012, 3:25 PM
The first AR upper I ever shot was a Rock River Arms. Hit the target too. That's what it's all about. RRA is good to go. I have an RRA pistol upper on order, should be here any month now. If you can find an RRA upper in stock at a price you like, grab it before someone else does.

-Mark

sammy
10-11-2012, 5:09 PM
Both of mine have been nothing but 100% reliable. Perfect fit and finish. No regrets here at all.

motodog57
10-11-2012, 5:14 PM
have 2 rock rivers and love them haven't had one prob and they shoot great

Madpyro
10-11-2012, 5:48 PM
Both of mine have been nothing but 100% reliable. Perfect fit and finish. No regrets here at all.

have 2 rock rivers and love them haven't had one prob and they shoot great

This^^^^^

SouthCoastTargets
10-11-2012, 9:16 PM
Rock River makes a good rifle. they are back ordered 6 months right now, i recommend BCM, higher quality at similar pricing and they have stuff in stock!!!

but there is nothing wrong with a rock river, they are great guns, would buy one in a heartbeat if i had the funds and they were available

killathrilla
10-11-2012, 9:19 PM

Jet Setter
10-11-2012, 9:54 PM
You guys are the best. Thank you for the advice and reassurance. I believe I am sold! This will be my first 5.56 and certainly will not be my last. Next lower and upper would be something I will build myself.

1000stars
10-11-2012, 11:05 PM
RRA lowers, uppers, and complete rifles. Check out....

http://www.class3weapons.com/

They have CA compliant option but you have to call in order, not available online.

Just be sure it is not on the ban list.

airbaker
10-12-2012, 7:20 PM
Very happy with mine. It might be a bit more expensive than some of the other popular brands, but eh. :)

darmog
10-13-2012, 4:20 AM
RRA lowers, uppers, and complete rifles. Check out....

http://www.class3weapons.com/

They have CA compliant option but you have to call in order, not available online.

Just be sure it is not on the ban list.

That's who I used when it came time to order my RRA Elite Op 2. Process was trouble free but waiting was a bit of a pain. :D

killathrilla
10-13-2012, 5:22 AM

supersonic
10-13-2012, 10:35 AM
There are only a handfull of AR "manufacturers" to stay away from at all costs. Rock River isn't one of them. They make a great rifle. Not the "BEST" nor "TOP TIER" (< non-existent descriptions of an AR-15 anyway:p), but certainly a great firearm all the way around. Make sure you know and add all the "finer detail" options before buying, though (i.e. if you feel you need a chrome-lined barrel, for instance, make sure you select that, as it is - or was at one time - an option on certain models). I owned 2 different models about a few years ago, and never had a malfunction with either one. In fact, one was a stainless-barreled precision rifle with a 24" Wylde-Chambered barrel that almost never failed to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds. with zero "flyers." the only time the groups would open up to about 1 MOA was when I let the bull barrel get too hot from sustained rapid fired strings. RRA is GTG even though some other manufactures' rifles can be had with certain options you pay extra for at RRA that are OEM from the other guys. I've had my time with RRA/BCM/COLT/CMMG/LMT/DanielDefense, and one bottom-feeder (my first AR after the ban sunset - and which shall not be named because they don't deserve it) and they were all about the same feature and accuracy-wise. All in all, unless you are planning on going to war in unknown conditions, they are all just different flavors to suit your taste. Every household should own an AR-15. :)

jeffrice6
10-13-2012, 11:32 AM
RRA = GTG

strongpoint
10-13-2012, 12:59 PM
both my uppers are RRA. flawless, as far as i can tell.

56Chevy
10-13-2012, 5:47 PM
My first AR upper was a 16" 9mm, and it was great. My next one was a 20" 5.56, and it was also really good. I even bought a 10" 5.56 pistol upper because of my good experience with Rock River.

Rock River also seems to be pretty good about customer service. I ordered a few odds and ends from them for $6 and they charged me the actual shipping cost on the package ($1.64), not some $9.95 (or something like it) minimum that a lot of other places will charge.

supersonic
10-13-2012, 6:01 PM
I ordered a few odds and ends from them for $6 and they charged me the actual shipping cost on the package ($1.64), not some $9.95 (or something like it) minimum that a lot of other places will charge.

That's an old EGay and Gunbroken trick that's been going on for years when some of the more crooked/greedy sellers want to make a little more "change" off their customers. They like to call it "Flat Rate Shipping," where you see "Flat Rate Shipping : $15.00" and the 9 ounce package shows up at your door with a $2.75 shipping label on it.:rolleyes:

edwardjames
10-14-2012, 7:24 AM
i love mine, i built it from a stripped upper & lower, everything went together smoothly and the fit/finish is excellent

i would gladly buy another :yes:

ir0nclash86
10-14-2012, 7:46 AM
is it just me or are there a ton of deleted posts?

Intimid8tor
10-14-2012, 8:38 AM
RRA is good to go. My first AR was from RRA. It was a complete rifle. The only thing I didn't like was that they used a commercial buffer tube instead of a milspec buffer tube. That meant changing it out.

I think BCM is probably a little better, but that is just my personal opinion. Whatever you end up with, shoot the hell out of it.

Thordo
10-14-2012, 6:00 PM
One more for RRA. I bought their "everything but the lower" kit for my first AR build several years ago and it continues to run flawlessly!!!

Thordo

MXRider
10-14-2012, 6:08 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say no, they are not good to go as others have posted. Truth is you can get better for the same money and RRA does not have a solid track record within the serious shooting community.

Eta: no I haven't owned one of their complete rifles, but I did have a lpk from them and it was multiple pieces of junk with out of spec parts.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mrvash
10-14-2012, 6:10 PM
My service rifle upper has been accurate and reliable so far. 750+ rounds and not one jam, hiccup, or any other problem. Has the chromed BCG for the bling factor. ;)

"Service rifle?" do you work as a PMC, LEO or military? just curious, never knew RRA had a government contract.

MXRider
10-14-2012, 6:13 PM
"Service rifle?" do you work as a PMC, LEO or military? just curious, never knew RRA had a government contract.

They don't, they do have a few Leo contracts with shoddy performance though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

AlliedArmory
10-15-2012, 2:52 AM
My Varmint AR upper is a RRA and works perfectly fine. Never had an issue with it.

56Chevy
10-15-2012, 5:29 AM
That's an old EGay and Gunbroken trick that's been going on for years when some of the more crooked/greedy sellers want to make a little more "change" off their customers. They like to call it "Flat Rate Shipping," where you see "Flat Rate Shipping : $15.00" and the 9 ounce package shows up at your door with a $2.75 shipping label on it.:rolleyes:
Yes, I know. Some retailers still try the same thing. I knew of a place that had a policy to double the actual shipping costs.

Kappy
10-15-2012, 5:47 AM
I'm not as knowledgeable as these folks here... I have one AR. I bought my RRA Advanced Tactical Hunter for around $850. That got me into a rifle for well under the price of a complete rifle.

How good is it?

174271.680 MOA at 100 yds.

It has never had a malfunction which was not completely contributable to ammo (protruding primers, for instance).

And I'm always getting compliments from folks saying that they've never seen an AR shoot that accurately.

One caveat... This is with my own handmade ammo... But it also out shoots everyone else with store bought as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17+1
10-15-2012, 9:17 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Power_Rifle

RAMCHARGER
10-15-2012, 10:35 AM
My first upper was a RRA 16" Carbine. Near Perfect all arount. Only issues were with some Black hills ammo that seems loaded on the weak side and didnt work too well. Worked well with the buckets of Wolf and the other steel cased ammo I ran through it when brass ammo was scarce!