PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Aimpoint M4/T1 vs. Eotech vs. Trijicon SRS

hiyabrad
10-11-2012, 2:46 PM
Real curious to hear from a Trijicon SRS owner!!

I am going to buy one of the following setups and was wondering if you could help me understand the differences between the set ups. Primarily the difference between the two Aimpoints and the Eotech (i.e., why buy an Aimpoint instead of an Eotech and vice-versa but real curious about the Trijicon SRS.

Aimpoint M4 and Magnifier

Aimpoint T1 and Magnifier

Eotech and Magnifier

Trijicon SRS

Thanks in advance.

roushstage2
10-11-2012, 2:51 PM
Plug this into Google: Aimpoint vs EOTech site:www.calguns.net/calgunforum

I researched the same thing recently, and found too much info with that search, lol.

Maddog5150
10-11-2012, 2:52 PM
It's all personal preference. I've shot with both and both.are great. I prefer one to the other but won't fuel the fire. Go out and look through both to see which one you like

EL_NinO619
10-11-2012, 2:53 PM
Aimpoint, but I am bias.

CK_32
10-11-2012, 2:53 PM
Look through them both..

I don't like the reticle and pixelation of the eitech and the battery life on the aimpoints are a plus.. I also like a simple dot than a lot going on in my view...

Check out the pro best bang for the buck IMO.. Comes with good mount and optic for $200 less than its counterparts before the mount.

Basically a Aimpoint 3 with 2 internals and 4s mount.. Best of all worlds...

Check out my video on mine in my sig on my YouTube page.

HK Dave
10-11-2012, 3:25 PM
OP: To put it simply....

Eotech = MUCH BETTER Reticle

Aimpoint = MUCH BETTER Toughness and Battery Life

To address other things...

CK, the reticle only pixelates if you focus on the reticle. ;) Focus on the target and it becomes razor sharp. Or maybe I just have bad vision?

OP because the Eotech is holographic technology, astigmatism or not, what you see through the scope is a sharp, defined aiming point with no blooming. The aimpoint on the other hand... if your eye is anything less than perfect, your reticle will be oblong shaped and probably bloom a bit.

Having said that... the Aimpoint battery life is forever... the Eotech is 4 weeks. :P Ok I exaggerate.

I've actually had an Eotech fail during a shoot... I've never had an Aimpoint fail. The Aimpoints are def tougher... but whether one needs that much toughness is another matter.

calishine
10-11-2012, 3:30 PM

CK, the reticle only pixelates if you focus on the reticle. ;) Focus on the target and it becomes razor sharp. Or maybe I just have bad vision?

OP because the Eotech is holographic technology, astigmatism or not, what you see through the scope is a sharp, defined aiming point with no blooming. The aimpoint on the other hand... if your eye is anything less than perfect, your reticle will be oblong shaped and probably bloom a bit.

Having said that... the Aimpoint battery life is forever... the Eotech is 4 weeks. :P Ok I exaggerate.

I've actually had an Eotech fail during a shoot... I've never had an Aimpoint fail. The Aimpoints are def tougher... but whether one needs that much toughness is another matter.

This is basically all you need to know. Make a personal decision accordingly. I would go T1.

JDW67
10-11-2012, 3:34 PM
My Aimpoint is over 10 years old and it's only on the 2nd battery. It's been banged up, submerged, and heavily abused. In fact, it has outlasted the rifle it was mounted on. So, I'd go with the Aimpoint, but I think I'm also a little biased...

SDgarrick
10-11-2012, 3:45 PM
I like my EOtech, I've come to love the reticle: 1 moa dot for more precise aiming, 65 moa cirlce for quick targeting and for some ranging. Don't like looking for N-type batteries.

ArmedArtist
10-11-2012, 4:45 PM
I bought the top of the line Aimpoint when I picked up my first AR. All I knew about them was my Sheriff buddy had one on his duty gun. I like the sight and everything. I did get a magnifier for it, which makes it fun. But I think I would rather have has an ACOG. I was already buying an AR and an AK pistol that day but back then I couldnt justify spending more on my sight than I did on my AR. But now I kinda wish I had something other than the red dot.

cfusionpm
10-11-2012, 5:02 PM
I run an EOTech and Primary Arms 3x magnifier. I'm pleased with it for the time being. Good versatility and great sight picture. I love the EOTech reticle more than a simple dot. But if I were going to do it all over again, I would get some kind of illuminated 1-4x or 1-5x optic. (currently waiting on a back-ordered Vortex 4-16 FFP for this rifle).

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/600/img9432l.jpg

hiyabrad
10-11-2012, 5:13 PM
Thanks for all the comments! What store do you recommend where I can go and see these two and check them out. I want to handle them and see them work.

supermanuf
10-11-2012, 5:16 PM
For what it's worth, we know the SEALs had EOTechs on the Bin Laden raid.

myk
10-11-2012, 5:30 PM
Lol, EOTECH it is!

CK_32
10-11-2012, 5:31 PM
Thanks for all the comments! What store do you recommend where I can go and see these two and check them out. I want to handle them and see them work.

If we knew your location it would be easier to locate a shop in your area

LAKings22
10-11-2012, 5:48 PM
I personally like both. I have an Eotech on my current AR and on my next AR I will put on a aimpoint. I had the same problem at first, I checked both of them out in person and still couldn't make up my mind until I found a "like new" Eotech on CL for a cheap price

hiyabrad
10-11-2012, 5:49 PM
If we knew your location it would be easier to locate a shop in your area

Good point! I am good between SFV, SGV, LA and the OC.

LAKings22
10-11-2012, 5:53 PM
.... When It comes down to looks, Aimpoint looks more nice mounted on an AR but don't make your decision based on looks.

LAKings22
10-11-2012, 5:55 PM

Turners in reseda usually has both

ShoootA
10-11-2012, 6:04 PM

Riflegear

whipkiller
10-11-2012, 6:11 PM
Not to muddy the waters, but I have been researching the same question, and I've sorta' changed my mind on it, and I'm almost sure I'm going to go with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4X for more versatility.

Massan
10-11-2012, 8:14 PM

This.

The design failure of the Eotechs are the battery pads(those little rubber things inside your battery case that holds tension on the batteries) that has a very high tendency of getting lose thus turning off your Eotech. The holo design also uses up a ridiculous amount of energy compared to the Aimpoints hence their superior battery life. As for spec war using Eotechs(553) they have the logistics capability to constantly replace batteries(pretty much a fresh pair every time they go out) or grab another one if theirs breaks. Not many of us has that kind of money to keep buying replacement optics.

I love the Eotechs reticle but the superiority of Aimpoints battery life, durability and return to zero made me switch.

TheHammerOfTruth
10-11-2012, 9:40 PM
I chose the Aimpoint M4 for what its worth. But I also have the Vortex Viper PST 1-4

CK_32
10-11-2012, 9:42 PM
Riflegear

Last I checked they only had the T1 M4 and pro or ML3 and an ACOG... Didn't see any eotechs in the shelf.

Dhena81
10-11-2012, 9:43 PM
Look through them both..

I don't like the reticle and pixelation of the eitech and the battery life on the aimpoints are a plus.. I also like a simple dot than a lot going on in my view...

Check out the pro best bang for the buck IMO.. Comes with good mount and optic for $200 less than its counterparts before the mount.

Basically a Aimpoint 3 with 2 internals and 4s mount.. Best of all worlds...

Check out my video on mine in my sig on my YouTube page.

Not really true the Pro shares the AECT with the M3 the M2 has CET and doesn't use the same mounting method as a M4 series and micros use an integrated mount the Pro M2 and M3 mount with a 30mm ring. The battery life is 10k for the M2 the Pro is 30k and the M3 is 50K.

OP I owned all of them and its really a personal preference and for me it is the T-1/H-1 the comp m4 is a beast. I had one for about a month until I sold it because of weight. The Pro is a hell of an optic but if money isn't a concern it's hard to beat the weight savings of the Micro series. I would check out the FS section you can get some good deals there.

Gunfighter420
10-11-2012, 10:03 PM
I've used them all and sold them all and sometimes even multiple times cause I couldn't decide. I did notice one thing though, I always came back to the T1 2MOA and still keep it on my battle/training rifle. I definately ruled out the Eotech after the first try because I have astigmatism on my right eye. The 65 MOA outer ring was to bloomy for me but when I focus on the target, the 1MOA dot If I focus on the reticle, its fuzzy. If you look through an Eotech through a magnifier, the whole reticle is sharp. I'm an Aimpoint user now. The T1 2MOA dot is small, the whole unit is lightweight and can't even notice the difference in weight when I have it on or removed. And lastly, battery life is phenominal. When shooting with both eyes open, the optic body dissappears and you see just a floating dot.

nothinghere2c
10-11-2012, 11:33 PM

this. absolutely. i prefer aimpoint only because of never having to turn the sight off. the battery lasts forever. but i do have slightly degraded eye sight and i get that blooming of the aimpoint dot which sometimes bugs me.

UserM4
10-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Look through an SRS before making your final decision.

Sunday
10-12-2012, 6:57 PM
I would try all the options before buying.

socal147
10-13-2012, 1:12 AM
I have an AimPoint and was thinking of switching to an EXPS but Damn you guys. Now I am having serious doubts ..........again..........Damn

10-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Aimpoint T-1 2 MOA and magnifier

bonesurf
10-13-2012, 11:57 AM
I have an aimpoint pro and eotech 512(?). My two cents. If no magnifier then the eotech. More "open". If using a magnifier I prefer the aimpoint. In reality I prefer a 1-4x "tactical" scope vs red dot an magnifier however. Magnifier is clunky to me

Emt123
10-13-2012, 1:19 PM
I went with eotech. I really like the t1 and h1 also... But the 1moa dot on the EOtech sold me. And the outer ring is nice for range finding.

As for the battery life.... EOtech falls short or the aimpoint. The eotech batt life is what... 500 hours? For the average weekend shooter you could probably get away with replacing batteries once a year. If your worried keep an extra set of batteries in your pistol grip or range bag.

cfusionpm
10-13-2012, 4:16 PM
As for the battery life.... EOtech falls short or the aimpoint. The eotech batt life is what... 500 hours? For the average weekend shooter you could probably get away with replacing batteries once a year. If your worried keep an extra set of batteries in your pistol grip or range bag.

This. I've had my XPS2 for over a year and have just now replaced the battery. As a weekend warrior range gun, that's fine by me. I love the reticle and it lasts pretty dang long, even on high brightness settings (will also shut off automatically after 4 or 8 hours). I keep a spare batt on me just in case, but it will flash when you turn it on for some time before finally dying, giving up a heads up the batt is almost out.

jonzer77
10-13-2012, 4:25 PM
This. I've had my XPS2 for over a year and have just now replaced the battery. As a weekend warrior range gun, that's fine by me. I love the reticle and it lasts pretty dang long, even on high brightness settings (will also shut off automatically after 4 or 8 hours). I keep a spare batt on me just in case, but it will flash when you turn it on for some time before finally dying, giving up a heads up the batt is almost out.

Same here, I finally replaced the batteries after a year. I always keep 4 AA batteries in my range bag for my eotech or electronic earmuffs.

edwardjames
10-14-2012, 8:32 AM
i at first wanted a eotech for my 16" middy, but i found a smoking deal on a aimpoint m3 comp so i picked it up. i thought id try it and sell it for double what i payed and get that eotech......

ill put it this way, im keeping the aimpoint :blush5:

HK35
10-14-2012, 9:36 PM

+1. I have both and HK summed it up very well.

Kempfer
10-14-2012, 9:55 PM
Did not see this mentioned but here is something niftty with the EoTech.
5WYsut1M5A4#t=22s

Also I use the lower part of the ring as my holdover for up close stuff (7-10yds).

hiyabrad
10-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Does anyone own a Trijicon SRS? They are getting great reviews but I'd love to hear from an owner.

bonesurf
10-15-2012, 11:33 AM
I have a tripower. It's a lot like an aimpoint but with a chevron. Should really be called a bipower because in low light you gotta turn the power on. Functionally very similar however to my aimpoint pro but since I usually shoot daytime no batteries. Also no issues that I can tell from my astigmatism causing streaking like on my aimpoint (doesn't really bother me but I can see a bit of streak)

Standard
10-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Does anyone own a Trijicon SRS? They are getting great reviews but I'd love to hear from an owner.

~$800 Red Dot - No thanks.

hiyabrad
10-17-2012, 1:19 PM
Anyone own a SRS and have comments?

HonkingAntelope
10-17-2012, 6:55 PM
~$800 Red Dot - No thanks.

Ditto. I've seen the reviews a while back, and the main praise seems to be the lack of vision obstruction when it's mounted further up, but $800 price tag is a deal-breaker for all but the most moneyed up crowd out there. Not when a gently-used Aimpoint CompM4 can be found for ~$500 with a little bit of patience and knowing how to spot fakes, and used EOtechs are not that hard to find for under $300.

UserM4
10-17-2012, 8:24 PM
Don't listen to these peasants. It's worth what you can afford. :p

I own one and all I can say is that it's a pleasure to look through. That's coming from an M68 and a T1.

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/841/arwitheverythingnegativ.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img411/7167/stevesrs03.jpg

cwin
10-17-2012, 8:50 PM
I too agree that it's all personal preference. I've owned Aimpoint, Eotech, and Trijicon, between the three I only still own Aimpoint. I had an M4s and now a T1. Loved them both. Tough and great battery life.

DPmax
10-17-2012, 10:18 PM
I haven't tried a Trijicon SRS yet but I have some time behind a Trijicon Reflex 1x42 with the 4.5 MOA reticle. I wished the reticle was a bit smaller, but that big tube with wall to wall glass made for extremely fast targeting even when way off center.
And forget about batteries with the Reflex.

If you have even the slightest astigmatism make sure you look though any of these under as many light conditions as possible before you buy!

sd_shooter
10-18-2012, 5:22 AM
I'm sold on the Eotech after watching this video. If I can hit within 200 yards without a magnifier as well as this guy, it's all I need:

6MOtgFidWFE

Another one showing the reticle when shooting to that distance:

4qbMWSD0JVw

hiyabrad
10-18-2012, 5:00 PM
I'm sold on the Eotech after watching this video. If I can hit within 200 yards without a magnifier as well as this guy, it's all I need:

6MOtgFidWFE

4qbMWSD0JVw

Well done reviews. Impressive.

supermanuf
10-19-2012, 9:03 PM
I just sort of blindly bought an EXPS3-0 because it was a good price... I absolutely love it. It instantly made me fall in love with my AR all over again. Also can't imagine how Ive gone this long without one. So happy I went for the lower 1/3 cowitness... I have a fixed front sight post, but you hardly even see it. I'm sure the Aimpoints are great too, but I think it would be hard to go to just a single dot after getting used to the A65 reticle.

shooter556
10-19-2012, 9:40 PM
Reticle on the EOTech is just much MUCH better in my opinion than the aimpoint. Aimpoint beats eotech in battery life no doubt about it but just turn it off when you're not using it and you should be fine.

Reticle is just why the EOTech is 10x better than the aimpoint. Plus Eotech looks cooler lol. I think it'd be easier to pull targets into a circle than line them up with a single red dot. Just my opinion though. Nothing against Aimpoint though.

hiyabrad
10-20-2012, 9:46 AM
I have to admit having that 65moa reticle has to make it the fastest up close and personal sight.

Zorgnot
10-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I've got a T1 on my 5.56 and an XPS2 on my 458 Socom. I really like both. My eotech was 100 bucks cheaper but I can't use NVG's with it.

supermanuf
10-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I have to admit having that 65moa reticle has to make it the fastest up close and personal site.

And to me, that's when it matters most, that's why I went with the EO. And the 1moa center dot is better for long range than a 2moa dot on the Aimpoint. As long as you change your batteries every year or so and turn it off when you're done (not a big deal since it turns itself off in 4 or 8 hours without pressing any buttons), the whole battery thing is a non-issue.

Big bug
10-20-2012, 8:58 PM
Love the Eotechs.
But for overall use....ACOGS give you a bit of magnification for people with bad eyes like myself.

MrPlink
10-20-2012, 9:31 PM
I still dream of L3 buying aimpoint (or vice versa)for an aimtech or eopoint: aimpoint guts with eotech reticle!

ShoootA
10-20-2012, 10:25 PM

6MOtgFidWFE

4qbMWSD0JVw

Don't be fooled, this can be done in similar fashion with an aimpoint micro. ;)

starsnuffer
10-21-2012, 9:25 AM
I still dream of L3 buying aimpoint (or vice versa)for an aimtech or eopoint: aimpoint guts with eotech reticle!

Eh, the problem with eotech is battery life. Eotech uses a laser to project the holographic image. Aimpoint uses a LED to project the dot. Lasers use more power then LED's.

Unless there is a fundamental design change or some type of new laser is invented that draws substantially less power, then the two designs will remain in contention with one having a sharper, more detailed reticule and the other having substantially longer batter life.

Now, it can be argued that L3 should be smart and make a commercial Eotech that is simply a LED red dot in the holographic housing, boast about nearly infinite battery life (especially in the 2AA models), and sell tons of product.

It can also be argued that Aimpoint is way overpriced given the simple technology used in production, and if L3 did indeed do the above, Aimpoint could simply lower their price point substantially and compete on price.

Either way, I like having both options. I own both, use both, prefer them for different reasons for different applications.

Battery life has killed a ton of nifty applications. Anyone remember the XM-8 project? It had a really nifty optic called the ISM-V that was a red dot, visible laser, and IR laser, all zeroed with the same screws and fit a formfactor similar to an aimpoint or eotech. Problem was battery life. Batteries suck.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/attachments/hk416-hk417-hq/9030d1350349712-hk416a5-main-770.jpg

-W

gunsarefun
10-21-2012, 9:55 AM
I don't understand the battery life argument, since it is SOOO difficult to once a year buy a pair of batteries for $5 and put them in, or just $2 if you've got AAA's. That is less than the cost of ammo to fill one magazine.... a year....:p

starsnuffer
10-21-2012, 1:03 PM
I don't understand the battery life argument, since it is SOOO difficult to once a year buy a pair of batteries for $5 and put them in, or just $2 if you've got AAA's. That is less than the cost of ammo to fill one magazine.... a year....:p

The battery life on the aimpoints is so high that you can just leave them on. The theory is that since the dot is always on, you just have to grab the rifle and shoot.

If you have to turn the optic on, that's obviously an extra step.

For the majority of us, this isn't a problem. For the zombieprepperpoopintheductworks kind of guys or if you're actually a soldier deployed, this is a show stopper.

-W

ShoootA
10-22-2012, 7:42 PM
A cool aimpoint testimony. Also posted in the DD thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUgzlF_4XUs

Thordo
10-22-2012, 7:48 PM
You might wanna take a look at the Ultradot as well. They are feature rich with excellent battery life at very reasonable prices.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/

Thordo

Sumo99
10-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Anyone own a SRS and have comments?

Don't own one, but played with one for a little bit. The one thing I liked about it was that it reduces the tube affect you get when looking through the T1. (I own a T1).

But, for me, $800 is a lot for a red dot. Especially considering I got my ACOG TA33 for $780