PDA

View Full Version : What is it that qualifies a gun as a SPR?

connorr931
10-11-2012, 2:19 PM
Is it just a 18in barrel and optics? Does it have to have a barrel collar? I was looking on BCM's website and saw these two uppers:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-0-Bravo-BLACK-p/bcm-urg-mk12-0%20pri%20black.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm

The first is described as a SPR but what is it thats really different about them?

Chaos47
10-11-2012, 2:24 PM
Heres the "Lets see your 5.56/.223 SPR "Special Purpose Rifles"" picture thread which might help you figure it out. There is no real definition. Just rifles trying to clone the military SPR's which there is a few different specs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=192712

There is also this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_12_Special_Purpose_Rifle

starsnuffer
10-11-2012, 2:39 PM
It has to wear a helmet while riding a bus.

-W

bender152
10-11-2012, 3:08 PM
Some people will just buy an 18" upper and call it an SPR, but a traditional SPR is what's described in the link below.

The parts will vary depending on which version you decide to build, a Mod 0 or Mod 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_12_Special_Purpose_Rifle

calishine
10-11-2012, 3:18 PM
Some people will just buy an 18" upper and call it an SPR, but a traditional SPR is what's described in the link below.

The parts will vary depending on which version you decide to build, a Mod 0 or Mod 1.

Well said. The term is now loosely used to describe a precision AR with a 16-18 barrel with a svope and othe goodies.

RuggedJay
10-11-2012, 3:22 PM
Scoped AR that does 1" groups or better at 100
SPR=semiauto precision rifle

Munny$hot
10-11-2012, 3:32 PM

??? IRRC it's Special Purpose Rifle "SPR"

cmace22
10-11-2012, 7:28 PM

Joking right.

whipkiller
10-11-2012, 7:41 PM
??? IRRC it's Special Purpose Rifle "SPR"

Noooo, it's "Super Powerful Rifle".:rolleyes:

MrPlink
10-11-2012, 7:57 PM
I have read that mk12s have been spotted with 20in bbls

FMJBT
10-11-2012, 8:45 PM
I believe the term "SPR" was applied to the lower receiver groups at Crane, designating them as "Special Purpose Receiver" during the construction phase of the project. These were mostly older M-16 A1 receivers, complete with beat up A1 buttstocks and heavily worn finishes.

In general, I think that the term "SPR" should apply to any rifle that meets the basic criteria of the mil spec versions:

-18" barrel of 1:7 or 1:8 twist
-Rifle length gas system (Better for suppressed use)
-Quickly adaptable to suppressed configuration
-Rifle length free floated forend
-Magnified optics
-Folding iron sights

TwinStick
10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
SPR = Smile while Plinking Rifle

UserM4
10-12-2012, 1:47 PM
From what I've gathered, it's now commonly used to describe any accurized AR15, typically an 18" barrel with mid or rifle length gas tube, and a fast twist rate to stabilize heavy match ammo. There's also traditionalists that will not accept that a match 18" is an SPR unless it's a clone of the military rifles.

cfusionpm
10-12-2012, 2:07 PM
I use the term loosely, but say that my latest build was "SPR inspired." Kind of like how Taco Bell isn't Mexican food, it's "Mexican inspired" :P

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/600/img9432l.jpg

The War Wagon
10-12-2012, 2:21 PM
Mine was custom built by the late Johnson Tactical Rifles, LLC - before Johnson moved to Seattle last fall. :(

To wit - here's the boilerplate on it, before his website went off-line.

Features Overview

• Comes standard with a 1/8 twist, 18", Medium Profile 416SS barrel. Available with a number of other barrel options (See Below)
• Full Auto Carrier, High Pressure Tested and Magnetic Particle Inspected Bolt properly staked and lapped flat carrier key. Chrome lined Young National Match carriers available!
• Barrel chambered with matched bolt
• Standard with Troy Extreme 13" Rail. (Mine utilies the 15" Troy tube!)
• Available in Rifle or Intermediate, or Mid gas lengths
• 11 degree target crown
• Low profile gas block
• A2 Flash Suppressor
• Polished M4 feed ramps
• Mil-Spec Forged 7075 T6 upper receiver with T-markings, forward assist, hinged dust cover, and M4 feed ramps.

1. These uppers feature my Limited Life Time Warranty.
2. High Pressure Testing followed by Magnetic Particle Inspection assures a rock solid bolt.
3. 223 Wylde chamber increases accuracy and works with 5.56 NATO or .223 SAMMI spec ammunition.
4. Every upper is built by one person from start to finish.
5. I guarantee that every SPR Upper will hold sub-MOA groups and prove that by sending you a picture of the test!
6. I custom fit the rail/upper, chamber/bolt, gas block/barrel, and comp/flash hider interfaces to insure a highly accurate build.
7. We align our barrel blanks to 2/10000 of an inch bore alignment before threading or chambering!
8. These are uppers are built for pushing the 5.56 to ranges unheard of before. I use the Gritters or Two Line method to chamber my SPR barrels. It adds UP MOA to the shot allowing you more elevation at distance.
Quality Assurance

Every single upper that Johnson Tactical produces is fully tested before delivery to the customer. We feel your paying for quality and our job is to insure that is what you are getting! We start by manually inspecting every part, then as the build progresses it’s fit with the other components. Some parts are hand fitted to ensure tighter tolerances. A good example of this is the gas block to barrel fit. This needs to be precise to eliminate gas leaks.

I went with the nitrided barrel option.

This is my stand alone nitrided barrel offering. Available configurations include:
-Only available with a .223 Wylde chamber currently.
-Includes a Headspaced, HPT/MP bolt with extractor upgrades
-Carbine, Mid, Intermeidate, or Rifle length gas systems with a .750 gas block seat that is 2" in length
-Single set screw seat indexed to the gas port
-Barrel lengths in 12.5, 14.5, 16, 17, 18.5, 20, or 24 inch
-18.5" lengths and longer are chambered using the two line method and timed up
-Available in a 1/7 or 1/8 twist rate (traditional rifling)
-My base profile is a modified medium contour.
-Comes standard with a 11 degree crown
-Threaded 1/2-28 at the muzzle

Mine features a Viltor MUR 1-A upper, BCM lower, and Giselle SSA-E trigger. My LaRue mount, Leuplod Mark/AR scope (I wouldn't have minded better glass, but given my limited line of sight, the Mark AR is an inexpensive choice to accomplish the task, in this case), and Aimpoint T-1 (2moa) offset red dot are all installed as well. PWS FSC556 f/h, Troy BUIS, and bipod finish it off. It has a basic 2 pt. web sling to tote it with.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/SPR1.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/SPR.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/SPR6.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/SPR8.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/T-1.jpg

rojocorsa
10-12-2012, 2:41 PM
http://www.dogfightink.com/SPR.jpg

tacticalcity
10-12-2012, 2:42 PM
The military came out with a rifle called the Special Purpose Rifle (pictured in the post above this one). People tried to duplicate that rifle with aftermarket parts and called their rifles an SPR even though it most definitely was no where close to the real deal. So many people did this that companies started doing it as well. One of my favorite companies, CMMG is guilty of this big time. So now, everybody and their brother uses the name of a specific rifle as if it were a class of rifles.

The same thing happened with K.I.S.S AR-15 movement. It once had a distinct meaning with set characteristics that made something K.I.S.S. or not K.I.S.S. Now days rifles that violate every principle of the original K.I.S.S. movement get called K.I.S.S. simply because they don't have a railed forend. This is largely Chris Costa of Magpul's fault. In his first Carbine video he blatantly miss uses the term, and since a lot of people knew next to nothing about ARs before watching that video...they now miss use it as well. I don't know if he did it on purpose. I doubt it. But I do know a strong K.I.S.S. movement in the market would hurt his bottom line. Because adding even one Magpul product violates the original principles of the K.I.S.S. movement.

It is like watching somebody use a word out of context, and then watching the miss use of that word become part of popular culture to the point where every time you turn on the TV or radio you hear some idiot use it wrong. It's annoying to watch the language get butchered like that. Same thing with gun terms. People sound less than knowledgeable when they miss use them...so it is even more annoying when people who should know better don't. You don't respect people who call magazines "clips" and you correct them. Yet somehow miss using SPR is fine.

I will say, I don't mind when people say "SPR INSPIRED" like a poster did above. That shows he knows the difference and knows about guns. Honestly that is all I am looking for. People not to sound like idiots when they actually know better.

I don't really care about this. This is more of an observation than anything else. A minor annoyance at best. But it directly applies to the OP's question. So I figured I would vent.

cfusionpm
10-12-2012, 2:53 PM
It is like watching somebody use a word out of context, and then watching the miss use of that word become part of popular culture to the point where every time you turn on the TV or radio you hear some idiot use it wrong. It's annoying to watch the language get butchered like that. Same thing with gun terms. People sound less than knowledgable when they miss use them...so it is even more annoying when people who should know better don't. You don't respect people who call magazines "clips" and you correct them. Yet somehow miss using SPR is fine.
Or people who say "new-kyu-lar" :sleeping:

tacticalcity
10-12-2012, 2:59 PM
Or people who say "new-kyu-lar" :sleeping:

Well there are plenty of words I mispronounce simply by being where I am from. Some words I learned while stationed elsewhere, and when I use them I say them the way they are pronounced where I learned them (the South, or East Coast, etc.). I'm not sure that is always avoidable. We learn to talk before we learn to spell. Some of us (like me) never learn to spell. ;)

Droppin Deuces
10-12-2012, 3:05 PM
The one part of the gun that is labelled as "SPR" is the barrel, so that's how I define it.

Droppin Deuces
10-12-2012, 3:09 PM
Well there are plenty of words I mispronounce simply by being where I am from. Some words I learned while stationed elsewhere, and when I use them I say them the way they are pronounced where I learned them (the South, or East Coast, etc.). I'm not sure that is always avoidable. We learn to talk before we learn to spell. Some of us (like me) never learn to spell. ;)

The mispronunciation of nuclear doesn't bother me as much as people who say "dub-ya-luh" instead of "double-u."

mif_slim
10-12-2012, 3:19 PM
So the SPR can out shoot an every day 18" AR with scope?

Just saying.....

ExtremeX
10-12-2012, 3:35 PM

Just saying.....

Not always… it’s all about the barrel…

If you buy a top shelf 18” barrel and source the cheapest/poorly made SPR profile barrel you can find and the results would probably favor the standard 18” barrel.

Most 18” barrels I see are midlength gas system… Most SPR profile barrels I see are generally made from a quality blank, 416 or 410 stainless, rifle length gas system, and has what people refer to as a SPR barrel profile which accommodates the Ops Inc brake and colar.

I know there are a lot of clones out there, or people have their own take on SPRs in general, but for me it all boils down to the barrel. Personally I don’t really care if it’s a Mod 0 or 1 clone, but I would at least use the correct barrel if I was to make an SPR.

EvolutionGSR
10-12-2012, 3:43 PM
All my rifles are special to me. All of my rifles have a purpose. And all my rifles....are rifles.

Bhobbs
10-12-2012, 3:44 PM
I believe the term "SPR" was applied to the lower receiver groups at Crane, designating them as "Special Purpose Receiver" during the construction phase of the project. These were mostly older M-16 A1 receivers, complete with beat up A1 buttstocks and heavily worn finishes.

In general, I think that the term "SPR" should apply to any rifle that meets the basic criteria of the mil spec versions:

-18" barrel of 1:7 or 1:8 twist
-Rifle length gas system (Better for suppressed use)
-Quickly adaptable to suppressed configuration
-Rifle length free floated forend
-Magnified optics
-Folding iron sights
It was actually the upper receiver designated SPR.

tacticalcity
10-12-2012, 3:52 PM

Just saying.....

Well the regular SPR is chambered in 6.8SPC and has a match grade stainless steel barrel (painted black) and is assembled by the Navy's top gunsmiths at Crane...so the real one certainly should be able out shoot an every day 18" AR (generic chrome-molly barrel with 1/9 twist chambered in 5.56mm) with a scope assuming they are in the hands of somebody who knows how to use one. A true Crane made SPR is going to be a really nice rifle with an unusual amount of attention to detail put into assembling it. Every part is high-end. Short of getting a lemon, it should shoot extremely well.

Are there parts not used in the Navy's SPR that are just as good if not better? Sure. Are there 18" rifles on the market that are just as good if not better? Probably. Nobody here is saying otherwise. But compared to the "average AR"? You bet your rear it is a better rifle. That is off topic however. The OP asked what makes a rifle an SPR. Not what whether or not an inspired clone can be just as good as the real deal.

We are saying the Navy created a rifle called an Special Purpose Rifle or SPR, and just because you make something similar doesn't make it the same thing as theirs. So calling anything and everything by the same name is disingenuous at best.

A corvette with a Ferrari clone appearance kit is still not a Ferrari. No matter how good a kit it is or how good an engine and other parts you put in it.

That said, not all of us have more money than sense and there is nothing wrong with owning, shooting and loving an "average" AR. Just owning an AR in the first place is cool enough for me. By many shooters standards my current AR is only average. By other people's standards it is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Works just fine for me.

Barbarossa
10-12-2012, 3:56 PM
I miss the term M4gery

tacticalcity
10-12-2012, 4:08 PM
I miss the term M4gery

When there were fewer of us AR guys, the terms were more precise...even if we did have to make them up ourselves.

bomb_on_bus
10-12-2012, 4:37 PM
Not to mention they SPR still has the ability for FA or Fun Always firing.

KAC has about the closest offering you can find for a "SPR" build on the civilian market.

FMJBT
10-12-2012, 5:43 PM
My take on the MK 12 Mod 0:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8185/8081154684_b5b8b33c28_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8324/8081153400_65a43b7b06_c.jpg

I know, the forward assist is missing. It's on my list :)

bender152
10-12-2012, 6:20 PM
What's the big deal about calling a gun an "SPR" anyway? To me, the term "SPR" does not imply "better".

I have 2 18" uppers, both shoot equally well. One is an Mk12 clone, I call it an SPR. The other one has a scope and rail and all that, I call it an "18" upper" or "my White Oak upper" (as per the barrel).

Droppin Deuces
10-12-2012, 6:29 PM
Just because two rifles of different specs can shoot tight 5 shot groups doesn't necessarily mean they are equal. I would imagine a rifle built with the role of an SPR in mind probably retains a level of performance and accuracy under sustained rapid fire that a "regular" upper would typically not retain.

Just a thought.

gau17
10-12-2012, 6:50 PM
My MK12 Mod 0

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gau17/Rem%20700/SPR.jpg

cabinetguy
10-12-2012, 7:08 PM
Well the regular SPR is chambered in 6.8SPC

Care to give some sources on this gem?

Droppin Deuces
10-12-2012, 11:08 PM
I did this one using a complete LaRue chassis assembled around a Shilen/Rainier Ultramatch SPR barrel. She's a gem! Shoots just fine with the scope mount I pieced together, so not going to drop $200 on an LT107 just yet.
I wasn't looking to copy or replicate a particular model or build - only to put together the best example I could of what I thought an SPR should or could be using the best barrel I could find.

The scope is a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EMDR(highly recommended).

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/doghair/1350107715812.jpg

DinoPJR
10-12-2012, 11:29 PM
I want an SBR. pretty leaves FMJBJ