PDA

View Full Version : ATI Ak47 - "AT-47"

Triad
10-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Well, I was at a local brick and mortar and saw this rifle hanging on the wall, with a price tag of $599. I had been kicking around buying an AK and finger fiddled with this one for a good while. Felt good in the hands and the red wood was pretty.

The store employee explained it was a "milled" receiver and not the desirable stamped receiver. I pulled the trigger anyway, and signed papers. 10 days later I picked it up and brought her home.

I had been reading some limited reviews on the web describing it as a "franken-ak" - I guess the parts are brought together from a number of sources and people are reporting some issues with the rivet/bolts at the rear of the gun.

I took it out (after doing a cleaning) and put about 500 rounds through it, trouble free. No FTE or FTF's. A few days after that I went and polished off the other 500 rounds I had. I was able to get it reasonably zeroed at 50 yards. Truth be told, I am pretty fond of this thing. I went and put my mitts on a Saiga and I can definitely see the difference in the receivers BUT I haven't had any issues yet. The 10 round mag I got with it fits nice in the mag well, with no wobble at all.

I don't like the bullet button it came installed with, I think I might do some looking into the Raddlock for the AK.

No pictures yet but for reference, it looks like this:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/Triad47/dscn0071jpg_thumbnail0_zpsf112cbbf.jpg

Bug Splat
10-11-2012, 11:53 AM
I took it out (after doing a cleaning) and put about 500 rounds through it, trouble free. No FTE or FTF's. A few days after that I went and polished off the other 500 rounds I had. I was able to get it reasonably zeroed at 50 yards. Truth be told, I am pretty fond of this thing.

Thats all that matters. If it shoots reliably and you like it, I say you did good. Congrats.

Triad
10-11-2012, 11:54 AM
One mag, 10 rounds at a time, my friends and I wanted to cut our thumbs off.

But it was fun LOL

CK_32
10-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Looks nice...

And correct me if I'm wrong buy don't all the AK guys opt for the milled receivers?? I thought stamped were the "crap"?

21SF
10-11-2012, 1:23 PM
Looks nice...

And correct me if I'm wrong buy don't all the AK guys opt for the milled receivers?? I thought stamped were the "crap"?

Yeah the milled are heavier and thicker. Kinda like AR receivers Forged vs billet.

arslin
10-11-2012, 1:38 PM
Some say there is no advantage to a milled receiver.

MrPlink
10-11-2012, 1:41 PM
Milled is just heavier, that is it.

NorCalXJ
10-11-2012, 1:44 PM
Milled is just harder to repair, while a stamped is easier because rivets can be taken out and the rifle receiver can serviced. I'd go with a milled, IMO.

saki302
10-11-2012, 1:53 PM
Milled guns are nice- but a couple things.

1. Price. Milled guns cost considerably more.
2. Weight- milled receivers add about a pound of weight.

They *might* be a tad more accurate, and have a nicer feel, but stamped guns run just fine. I've felt an AK built on an over-spec (thick) stamped receiver which felt just about as solid as a milled gun.

-Dave

Looks nice...

r1ghtw1ng
10-11-2012, 2:14 PM
Also, if you want to play dress up sometime down the road, keep in mind that stocks made for stamped receivers won't fit your milled receiver and vice versa. There are some nice milled thumbhole stocks out there.

Mamluke
10-11-2012, 4:13 PM
Milled receivers cost substantially more, for $599 I doubt it very much that it has a milled receiver.

In addition, the rifle in the picture you posted does not seem to have a milled receiver, but the wood is sure pretty ... :D

At any rate, congrats and enjoy. Post some pics when you can.