PDA

View Full Version : 300 WBY Magnum

jwkincal
10-11-2012, 7:56 AM
I'm giving serious thought to acquiring a rifle chambered for this cartridge...

So let's hear it: have you run this cartridge? What is your opinion? Good/bad/indifferent?

Anyone reloaded it? Are the WBY Vanguard rifles any good?

Speak up!

CS Sports
10-11-2012, 8:03 AM
Love the 300 Weatherby. Have had several.

Most people will tell you that 7828 is the ticket with just about everything, and I have also had great luck with N560 and 180gr bullets.

IMO, the Weatherby Vanguard is one of the best values available today. Great rifles for the money.

AVID HUNTER
10-11-2012, 8:06 AM
Good cartridge, expensive to feed. Plan on reloading if you go this route. I have one, shoots well, shoots flat, cost to feed is just under the 338 Lapua. I think if I wanted something big, I'd go 338, if I wanted something bigger than 308, but didn't want the leap to 338, I'd go 300 Win Mag.

Divernhunter
10-11-2012, 12:37 PM
I have shot it. I have 2 friends who own rifles in that cartridge. I have reloaded for it. Ammo and brass are costly. I have a 257Weatherby in the Vanguard. The only trouble I have with the Vanguard in weatherby loadings is that they really need the longer barrel that is used on the Weatherby rifles(the more expensive model) to use all the potential of the weatherby chambering.
I have a Ruger in 300win mag. I think the 300win mag (or the short win mag) is really a better choice due to cost of ammo/brass. The bullets cost the same but you use more powder for a small amount of gain ESPECIALLY in the Vanguard rifle due to shorter barrel.

However if you like it buy it. After all it is your money.

jwkincal
10-11-2012, 12:43 PM
I currently have a .30-06 so "stepping up" to the 300 WinMag isn't really getting me much (on paper anyway).

The 300WBY rifles can be had without breaking the bank, won't require that I purchase a different caliber of bullet, and gets performance which appreciably outclasses the '06.

If I could get an 8mm RemMag for a song I might go with that but I'm terrible at range estimation so I need a flat shooter; otherwise the 338WM would be a good choice.

asheron2
10-11-2012, 2:06 PM
Good cartridge, expensive to feed. Plan on reloading if you go this route. I have one, shoots well, shoots flat, cost to feed is just under the 338 Lapua. I think if I wanted something big, I'd go 338, if I wanted something bigger than 308, but didn't want the leap to 338, I'd go 300 Win Mag.

Its expensive to feed, was $80 for a box of 20 like 5 years ago......other possible rounds in that price range that outperform??(I'm not a ballistics expert)

jwkincal
10-11-2012, 2:39 PM
I'm gonna reload whatever it is I end up choosing; no question about it... but Midway does have it less than $40 a box.

big fancy
10-11-2012, 2:50 PM
buddy just picked one up. still hasn't shot it though. sorry i'm useless

toby
10-11-2012, 4:28 PM
Just get one.

sigstroker
10-11-2012, 11:32 PM
I had one just as OP describes, .300 Wby Vanguard, but it was stolen before I got a chance to scope and shoot it.

If you reload, I doubt it would be substantially more expensive to shoot than any other .30 cal, once you get the brass. Your sessions with it will probably be shorter than most rifles. It's going to thump hard enough that 10 to 15 rounds is going to seem like a long day.

Sunday
10-12-2012, 6:49 PM
In 1961 my dad bought a Weatherby MK5 300 Weatherby mag I went with him . Anyway in 1995 I took it out and shot it them in 2010 I again took it out and shot it. IMO it is a piss poor caliber due to the extreme recoil and short barrel life. The 300 Weatherby mag is a rifle that needs a muzzle brake and a good recoil pad. The recoil will smash the scope into your face if you are not prepared. I have reloaded about 60 rounds and it is as easy to reload as any other rifle caliber. I wouldn't buy the rifle in that caliber if I had to make the choice. Actually I hate the rifle. Though an unfair comparison one of my buds has a Remmington PS in 338 lapua mag and the rifle is heavier and has a muzzle brake , the rifle is fun to shoot and it is super accurate and reloading the 338 is also easy. a big plus is the 338 lapua is at least triple of the 300 Weatherby mag which lowers the cost of shooting the caliber as I would guess a quality barrel is around $600.00. Again I really hate the 300 Weatherby mag.

Sunday
10-12-2012, 6:55 PM
I'm gonna reload whatever it is I end up choosing; no question about it... but Midway does have it less than $40 a box.The cost of ammo depends upon which bullet is loaded in the ammo.

.300 Weatherby Mag
10-12-2012, 7:10 PM
extreme recoil and short barrel life

They don't kick that bad, barrel life isn't bad if you don't shoot it like a varmint rifle...

The recoil will smash the scope into your face if you are not prepared.

You need eye relief.... Many good scopes have a lot... I've never been scope bitten by either of my .300 wbys...

muzzle brake and a good recoil pad.

Recoil pad yes... Muzzle break, no...

jwkincal
10-12-2012, 7:21 PM
I'm not worried about recoil... it can't be worse than the 203 on the original A1 frame was.

I'll probably move the Bushnell off of my '06 and it has plenty of eye relief.

And I'm looking at buying NIB, so I'm thinking I won't burn through the barrel life in the first year what with the expensive and painful shooting experience I keep hearing about ;)

Brd_Hntr
10-12-2012, 7:55 PM
300 Weatherby in a hunting weight rifle may be more recoil than you want. See if you can shoot a friend's before you purchase one. They are fairly common, so you may meet someone at a range who would let you take a few shots. I have killed hogs and deer with my 300. Fun yes, but way more gun than needed for deer and hogs in California. I routinely take my 300 Weatherby Vanguard as a backup gun on hunting trips, so I am very confident about the gun and ammunition. In my opinion, most of the guns chambered for this round are too heavy. A hunting rifle, which will be carried way more than fired, should be light weight. Weatherby makes a light weight rifle, but it costs more.

CptDan
10-12-2012, 8:13 PM
I had one many years back and it does have quite a bit of recoil, the brass is exspensive and so are loaded rounds. Wthby lists the 300 w/180 grain partition as $87.00 for twenty..

toby
10-12-2012, 8:16 PM
You can get a standard but good spitzer point ammo for $39 made by Norma for the 300 Weatherby, you do not need bouquet ammo to kill Animals or shoot paper.