PDA

View Full Version : Interesting light. Anyone use one?

ArmedArtist
10-10-2012, 5:58 PM
Didn't really see what section to put this in. And since I would use it on my long guns I figured I would post here.

While watching the Outdoor channel the other day, they had a commercial for this http://www.lasergenetics.com light.

They are pricy but damm! They out out some awesome light. Makes a "night vision" out of a regular scope. Thought it was cool because the beam adjusts like a Maglight. Thought it would be fun for the desert or camping.
Anyone have experience with them? I already have a good weapon light. This just looks like it would be useful.

SumthingFierce
10-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Very nice, however I think this might not be kosher in CA.

Penal Code 468
Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

check out this thread for more info.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=341895&highlight=nightvision

Droppin Deuces
10-11-2012, 5:51 AM
It's just an IR illuminator. It doesn't enhance the ability of a regular optic. It extends the ability of a non-illuminated night vision optic.

itisagoodname
10-11-2012, 6:12 AM
It's basically just a flashlight... However, lasers have a much longer throw and can be collimated to point or a wide beam (like most led flashlights now do).

This does not apply to the "sniper scope" law. If thats the case, then every one of you with a flishlight attached to your gun now has an illegal weapon.

It also states infrared. Green lasers are not infrared... they are green. Infra red cannot be seen by the human eye but CAN be seen through night vision optics.

ArmedArtist
10-11-2012, 9:22 AM
It's not IR.. Its a laser. Its just so damm bright and will light up so far away, if you have a scope its "like you have NV".
I do not think any CA laws would affect this.

The beam can either be wide and light up a nice big area. Or you can choke it down and have a spotlight affect.

FMJBT
10-11-2012, 8:18 PM
Looks like it would be pretty cool, as long as what you are hunting isn't actively trying to hunt you back :D

BlairB
10-11-2012, 10:10 PM
That thing is pretty cool! I hope someone gets one and tells us how it is. I don't see any reason it would be a problem under CA law, it is not IR in any way.

ArmedArtist
10-12-2012, 10:44 AM
The videos of it are cool. I like the idea of throwing light super far away for shooting. Using it as a flashlight and also would make a great signal light for camping or survival situations.

Bug Splat
10-12-2012, 3:12 PM
Wow that is way cool! I'd really like one of those for taking out yotes and even lions on my families land. Using bright white lights just blind the hell out of us and the predator is gone.

This light is going on my "Someday" list :D

Curley Red
10-12-2012, 3:17 PM
I like the version they have that you can mount above your scope.

stix213
10-12-2012, 4:37 PM
wow, I'm interested. Looks like there is virtually zero spill off that beam.

BlairB
10-12-2012, 6:58 PM
I wonder how animals would react to the green laser being pointed at them?

jgraham15
10-12-2012, 7:13 PM
I wonder how animals would react to the green laser being pointed at them?

That's exactly what I was wondering. If they weren't so expensive I'd try one on my pellet gun for shooting rats in the backyard that try and get to the dog food.