PDA

View Full Version : Purchased first A.R.... Now what?

TheGardner86
10-10-2012, 5:29 PM
I just purchased a Colt 6920ca from Turners, and now waiting for it to come off Consignment. I am thrilled to be a gun owner, and shoot such an amazing weapon. My question is what do I get now? With an infinite amount of accessories, what do you get first? Since majority of the money was spent on the gun, I have roughly $300 to play with. What would be a recommendation for prioritizing what to buy next. I was considering a good case, and lock since I do not have a safe. Any input would be appreciated.

tacticalcity
10-10-2012, 5:37 PM
What would I do if I had "my first AR" to all over again?

In this order...

1. Padded Vickers 2 Point Adjustable Sling and a front barrel mounted side carry sling adapter.
2. Take a Carbine I Level course and truly learn how to shoot it.
3. Upgrade the grip, trigger guard, buttstock, handgurds if GI to something more comfortable. I like the Magpul line, TangoDown line, Vltor line, and B5 or LMT line of accessories for this. Most the MOE stuff is just fine, but skip the MOE stock. Too much rattle. CTR or above on the stock. But MOE grips and forends work great if you want to save some money there. HOWEVER...if there is something you like don't just replace it for the sake of being cool.
3. Shoot the heck out it some more.
4. Add an Aimpoint Micro Red Dot Sight in a Tall Larue Mount OR an EoTech XPS or EXPS with built in mount AND a Troy Flip-Up Rear Battle sight.
3. Take a Carbine II Level course.
4. Add an E-Series light in a Larue mount.
5. Shoot the heck out of it some more.
6. Take a Carbine III Level course.
7. Keep shooting the heck out of it you're done buying stuff for it, time to start on another!

chozenfew805
10-10-2012, 5:44 PM
What would I do if I had "my first AR" to all over again?

In this order...

1. Padded Vickers 2 Point Adjustable Sling and a front barrel mounted side carry sling adapter.
2. Take a Carbine I Level course and truly learn how to shoot it.
3. Upgrade the grip, trigger guard, buttstock, handgurds if GI to something more comfortable. I like the Magpul line, TangoDown line, Vltor line, and B5 or LMT line of accessories for this. Most the MOE stuff is just fine, but skip the MOE stock. Too much rattle. CTR or above on the stock. But MOE grips and forends work great if you want to save some money there. HOWEVER...if there is something you like don't just replace it for the sake of being cool.
3. Shoot the heck out it some more.
4. Add an Aimpoint Micro Red Dot Sight in a Tall Larue Mount OR an EoTech XPS or EXPS with built in mount AND a Troy Flip-Up Rear Battle sight.
3. Take a Carbine II Level course.
4. Add an E-Series light in a Larue mount.
5. Shoot the heck out of it some more.
6. Take a Carbine III Level course.
7. Keep shooting the heck out of it you're done buying stuff for it, time to start on another!

Awesome list but for $300;) that'll be a stretch:D

tacticalcity
10-10-2012, 5:46 PM
Awesome list but for $300;) that'll be a stretch:D

Steps one and two can be done within budget and leave a little bit of money left over. You do the rest over a year or two as money becomes available. Training is the top priority for me. It is all well and good to have something that looks good...but few people are truly bad arse with their rifles. Be among the trained.

Nobody's budget can be taken seriously. Nobody EVER sticks to it. A good optic costs as much as the rifle. An AR is an ever evolving project/money-pit. Too many possibilities out there.

CK_32
10-10-2012, 5:57 PM
Ammo! Then go to your range and shoot her how she is..

Then figure out what you want or think would make it better. I see too many people dump tons of $$ into cool stuff for their gun and then finally to and shoot it and either have a cool looking gun they don't like but suck it up because its cool or hate it and take it all off and either have a closet full of tacticool junk or sell it all off and lose money in the long run..

And yes my closet is full of crap from my first AR build... Ive learned. Don't buy what you think you might need.. Buy what you know you need.

That way you can spend $20 here and $50 here and get it to look just how you want and not hate to shoot it.

jpm804
10-10-2012, 5:58 PM
I would hold off on the accessories if you say most of the money was spent on the rifle and put that money towards ammo.

No use of having a rifle if all your money was spent on the accessories and not being able to shoot it.

1lostinspace
10-10-2012, 6:09 PM
Buy a cleaning kit! The AK will live for ever!!!!

Lol JK
There are a million ways to set up

CQB?
Med range?
Varmint?

tacticalcity
10-10-2012, 6:12 PM

Then figure out what you want or think would make it better. I see too many people dumb tons of $$ into cool stuff for their gun and then finally to and shoot it and either have a cool looking gun they don't like but suck it up because its cool or hate it and take it all off and either have a closet full of tacticool junk or sell it all off and lose money in the long run..

And he's my closet is full of crap from my first AR build... Ive learned. Don't buy what you think you might need.. Buy what you know you need.

That way you can spend $20 here and $50 here and get it to look just how you want and not hate to shoot it.

Pretty much what I was trying to get at with my list above. Notice training starts right after putting a sling on it. So you he could see what others are using successfully at that course...and more importantly what others are struggling with. Because everybody else blew tons of money on all kinds of different setups before finally getting trained so he will see a wide variety. Meanwhile he learns how to use his irons in course 1 which will serve him well in the future. He also sees what (after 8 hours of constant use) he does and does not like on his GI style rifle so he can replace it with something more comfortable (again something he saw what others are and are not using with great success). By the time he gets to course 2 he should be setup with pretty much the ideal setup and now he can run the course with his ideal red dot (he'll know if he is in the Aimpoint or EoTech camp by then). Course III has a night shoot so he'll need a light but otherwise he's pretty much setup with the ideal carbine based on what he knows will and will not work and has the experience to tell the difference.

CK_32
10-10-2012, 6:16 PM
Pretty much what I was trying to get at with my list above. Notice training starts right after putting a sling on it. So you he could see what others are using successfully...and more importantly what others are struggling with. Meanwhile he learns how to use his irons in course 1. He also sees what (after 8 hours of constant use) he does and does not like on his GI style rifle so he can replace it with something more comfortable (again something he saw others using with great success. By the time he gets to course 2 he should be setup with pretty much the ideal setup and now he can run the course with his ideal red dot (he'll know if he is in the Aimpoint or EoTech camp by then). Course III has a night shoot so he'll need a light but otherwise he's pretty much setup with the ideal carbine based on what he knows will and will not work and has the experience to tell the difference.

Good god I don't know how you even read my post... Auto spell ha a field day with that I wrote it and had a hard time following what I wrote lol.

Mamluke
10-10-2012, 6:18 PM
... Purchased first A.R.... Now what? ...

I would DELETE the other Dube thread, .... first

Then .... I would buy some ammo & shoot the living cra*** out of it!

My 2cents ... :D

tacticalcity
10-10-2012, 6:18 PM
LOL.

cannon
10-10-2012, 6:19 PM

Then figure out what you want or think would make it better. I see too many people dump tons of $$ into cool stuff for their gun and then finally to and shoot it and either have a cool looking gun they don't like but suck it up because its cool or hate it and take it all off and either have a closet full of tacticool junk or sell it all off and lose money in the long run..

And yes my closet is full of crap from my first AR build... Ive learned. Don't buy what you think you might need.. Buy what you know you need.

He speaks the truth.

LAKings22
10-10-2012, 6:30 PM
How much does a carbine course usually cost?

CK_32
10-10-2012, 6:38 PM
Ones I've seen about $450 to $1200 depending on how many days who's giving it and what your focusing on. Some are all around some are spacific weapon system courses..

Hand gun courses seem to be cheaper same with shot gun.. Carbine is a little more expensive and precision rifle is where the big money comes out. Those are super expensive.

And mods can we put these 2 threads into 1 or lock one of the 2 please..

TheGardner86
10-10-2012, 6:58 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the love guys. I'm writing from my android phone, and accidently double posted (sorry mods) . I appreciate everyone's Input, and feel a lot less confused on moving forward. Looks like I'll be buying a lot of ammo first and foremost, and then start looking into classes. I'll put a hold on the accessories until I figure out what I need, and not what I want. Last thing I want is a tacticool weapon.

zfields
10-10-2012, 7:00 PM
How much does a carbine course usually cost?

Depending on your area, you can find them as low as 200. Most are in the 300-400 range.

Mossy Man
10-10-2012, 7:00 PM
make two threads about it.

Thordo
10-10-2012, 7:10 PM
You'll need some UBBT installed mags!!

Thordo

Dinosaur Jr
10-10-2012, 7:29 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--drouoVDVjY/UHY89MoQH8I/AAAAAAAABks/ta66HURO8dk/s501/duplicate1.jpg

LAKings22
10-10-2012, 7:42 PM
Depending on your area, you can find them as low as 200. Most are in the 300-400 range.

I found one that's held at Angeles and its $525. That's expensive

CAL.BAR
10-10-2012, 7:53 PM
If all you have is $300 left - for god's sake - just buy some ammo and shoot it. At no less than .30 per your $300 will get you less than 900 rounds. (about two good range trips.)

Never mind the accessories.

TheGardner86
10-10-2012, 8:24 PM
If all you have is $300 left - for god's sake - just buy some ammo and shoot it. At no less than .30 per your $300 will get you less than 900 rounds. (about two good range trips.)

I don't necessarily have just $300, but it was mainly directed towards accessories or anything additional added to the gun. I know ammo is important as stated by multiple people. Looks like I'll start collecting ammo, now save for training courses, and add the needed accessories not wanted. I appreciate your input nonetheless.

ThE_LoNgShOt
10-10-2012, 8:46 PM
As someone who recently bought their first AR, I can tell you that you get a sickness that drives you to want to buy all kinds of stuff. FORTUNATELY I had a friend to reel me in and save me from having a pile of crap that I would never use. I've added Magpul furniture to mine, magpul trigger guard, Daniel defense fixed rear sight..... And spent all other available funds on ammo so I could shoot as much as possible. I've found that there a lot of guys with really high end rifles that can't shoot very well because they spend all their money on gadgets and never actually get out and shoot!

Xingu
10-10-2012, 8:50 PM
Another vote for ammo.

SoCal Choppas
10-10-2012, 9:02 PM
1) Buy at least a Stack On 6-8 rifle safe. they range about $99.00-115.00 and bolt it to the wall studs and/floor http://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-cabinets-gun-cabinets/products/69
2) Buy a range case/bag for it
3) Buy Ammo and more Ammo
4) Buy Range Time
5) Buy extra mags
6) Buy more Ammo
7) repeat steps 4, 5 and 6

The above is assuming you have all the stuff to maintain your AR: Cleaning products, chamber brush, jags, etc.

after you've done the above...then start thinking what you want out of the rifle and what it needs: Sights, Optics, better trigger, etc.

mlevans66
10-10-2012, 10:17 PM
I didn't see it so I'll post it
:useless:

Lugiahua
10-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Take decent carbine training is probably the most important one.
What good does it do if you don't know how to run the weapon?

nitroxdiver
10-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Purchase some xm193 ammo and take an Appleseed weekend. You will learn a lot and have an enjoyable weekend, congrats, great first AR!

socalbowhunter
10-10-2012, 11:18 PM

Your math astonishes me.

5thgen4runner
10-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Your math astonishes me.

:D:D:D:D

myk
10-11-2012, 12:06 AM
I just purchased a Colt 6920ca from Turners, and now waiting for it to come off Consignment. I am thrilled to be a gun owner, and shoot such an amazing weapon. My question is what do I get now? With an infinite amount of accessories, what do you get first? Since majority of the money was spent on the gun, I have roughly $300 to play with. What would be a recommendation for prioritizing what to buy next. I was considering a good case, and lock since I do not have a safe. Any input would be appreciated.

No no no. Do not accessorize that thing, you are not a chick and that gun is not a fashion bag. That gun is perfect as it is from the factory, so go shoot it as it is and enjoy it and master it in all of its factory stock perfection. If you have $300 left you have to save up for a gun safe, as you're legally responsible for keeping that thing away from the wrong people. And please do not buy a gun cabinet, buy an actual gun safe. Look at it this way: do you want your baby stolen from you because you kept it in a $100 gun cabinet? Keep in mind that the purchase price of the gun is NOTHING compared to what you'll be spending on support costs for the gun: 'ammo, a good bag, maybe a case, range fees, maybe a membership, the safe, more 'ammo, cleaning supplies, more 'ammo and yes...more 'ammo.

I love the 6920 to death and I think you will too. Keep us posted on your honeymoon...

peter95
10-11-2012, 1:24 AM
if $300 is all you have, buy ammo and shoot it!

HermanH
10-11-2012, 5:51 AM
$300 left over.

1) Hoppes #9 cleaning solvent - the Colt comes in a plain brown box that holds a basic cleaning rod and bristle brush and cloth swab holder (you can take an old t-shirt and cut 1" squares for the swab)

2) You only get 2 x 9 round magazines. I'd started with buying 3 Magpul 10/20 magazines (20 round magazines with 10 round limiter to keep it CA legal)

3) Ammo. The cheapest I've seen at a local Big5 but every so often, Walmart has them on sale - depends on where you live. You could try online too. I reload my own so I don't know what factory ammo costs these days.

That is the order of things IMO. I got my LE6920-CMP in March this year and shot it as is for 3 months but today, it has some nice hardware hanging off of it but it's my money and I don't plan on having more than two AR's total in the next 2-3 years. (I've learned over the years to start tempering my spending on my hobbies which I has been legendary when I was in RC Car racing!)

Here's what it looks like today:
http://home.comcast.net/~a5afterb5/images/Firearms/LE6920_modified_02.jpg

Anyway, you saved to get the 6920, I'm sure this time next year, you'll have saved enough to mod if out (or not). My advice is to get a reloading press and start reducing the cost of going to the range. It will take quite a bit of time to re-coupe the costs but if you're into shooting like I am, it won't take long. I'm a bit older so having had my RCBS for some 30 years, it has paid itself over and over again. I just reloaded my 38 and 357 rounds (200 rounds total) at a cost of only $0.07 per round - I got all the brass for free from my friend so only paid for primer, powder and bullets. But even if I bought once-fired brass, it'd be around $0.10-15 per round on the first go-around. A far cry from $0.30 per round.

Droppin Deuces
10-11-2012, 6:29 AM

Point of thread: He doesn't know what he needs.

OP, learn to care for your gun, then learn to shoot it. Understanding how to take it apart and maintain it will help a lot if any perceived problems arise.
Just learn how to read your sights and hit your target first. Get your marksmanship fundamentals down. Attend an Appleseed event and you will come out ahead of most of the Magpul gunfighters on this forum.

CK_32
10-11-2012, 7:08 AM
Point of thread: He doesn't know what he needs.

Which was the whole point of the rest of my post.. Go and shoot and hell know exactly what he wants/needs to change for his liking.

bjl333
10-11-2012, 11:22 AM
1) Take a class to learn how to use the gun properly.
2) Buy ammo and practice what you learned.
3) Then go figure out what type of modifications you want on YOUR gun.

You can never have too much good training and good practice!!!

K5Ken
10-11-2012, 9:28 PM
Just buy ammo and shoot it, you might decide its fine the way it is. Tired of seeing guys at the range with ARs with every know attachment on it, light, laser pointer, red dot sight etc, then he stands there and bump fires from the hip. More money than brains.

myk
10-11-2012, 9:34 PM
$300 left over.

1) Hoppes #9 cleaning solvent - the Colt comes in a plain brown box that holds a basic cleaning rod and bristle brush and cloth swab holder (you can take an old t-shirt and cut 1" squares for the swab)

2) You only get 2 x 9 round magazines. I'd started with buying 3 Magpul 10/20 magazines (20 round magazines with 10 round limiter to keep it CA legal)

3) Ammo. The cheapest I've seen at a local Big5 but every so often, Walmart has them on sale - depends on where you live. You could try online too. I reload my own so I don't know what factory ammo costs these days.

That is the order of things IMO. I got my LE6920-CMP in March this year and shot it as is for 3 months but today, it has some nice hardware hanging off of it but it's my money and I don't plan on having more than two AR's total in the next 2-3 years. (I've learned over the years to start tempering my spending on my hobbies which I has been legendary when I was in RC Car racing!)

Here's what it looks like today:
http://home.comcast.net/~a5afterb5/images/Firearms/LE6920_modified_02.jpg

Anyway, you saved to get the 6920, I'm sure this time next year, you'll have saved enough to mod if out (or not).

Hey is that what I think it is? Post up pics of the Cobra!

Anyway, 'OP there are very good ideas here but don't forget the safe!

Sunday
10-12-2012, 1:26 PM
The only accessory you need is practice and more practice and how to keep the rifle properly lubed ,Ammo and Magazines.. If you need a toy to dress up buy a Barbie.

ElDub1950
10-12-2012, 1:33 PM
Buy a cleaning kit and $300 of ammo. That's barely enough to get familiar with your new gun.