PDA

View Full Version : Purchased first A.R.... Now what?

TheGardner86
10-10-2012, 6:29 PM
I just purchased a Colt 6920ca from Turners, and now waiting for it to come off Consignment. I am thrilled to be a gun owner, and shoot such an amazing weapon. My question is what do I get now? With an infinite amount of accessories, what do you get first? Since majority of the money was spent on the gun, I have roughly $300 to play with. What would be a recommendation for prioritizing what to buy next. I was considering a good case, and lock since I do not have a safe. Any input would be appreciated.

MrPlink
10-10-2012, 6:32 PM
save up a lil more and get an AK :43:

You need ammo. More ammo. And even more ammo.
Then some sort of training and as much range time as you can stand.

Welcome to the wonderful world of firearm ownership and calguns!

russt
10-10-2012, 6:38 PM
Ammo. Range fees. Go shoot before you buy accessories and figure out what you need.

glock7
10-10-2012, 6:41 PM
Ammo would be good. Go to a gun show and pick up some miwall reloads, get a cleaning kit and shoot the snot out of it. Good pick up. Enjoy!

chozenfew805
10-10-2012, 6:42 PM
Ammo and a class to help familiarize yourself with the AR platform. Then go ahead and buy more ammo;) An Otis cleaning kit wouldn't hurt too!

TheGardner86
10-10-2012, 6:44 PM
I'm going to start collecting a stock pile of ammo, now! I Thank you all for your input. Thankfully I have a good friend of mine who was a weapons instructor for the military. He'll be helping me with the training and shooting...Guess it's good to know people.

Glock31B
10-10-2012, 6:45 PM
Cleaning kit and AMMO, SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT. Dont bother with anything else for a little bit.

tacticalcity
10-10-2012, 6:45 PM
Accidental double post.

ParanoidCivilian
10-10-2012, 6:57 PM
Accidental double post.

where's the first post?

CK_32
10-10-2012, 6:59 PM
where's the first post?

Idk but I just posted on it... :confused:

G38xOC
10-10-2012, 7:03 PM
its time for a PIC

ArmedArtist
10-10-2012, 7:03 PM
Ammo.. Maybe a nice sling? Light if you think you would want one.
The AR is awesome because it can be so customized. Shoot it for a while like it is. Then decide if you want something to just plink with or a long range shooter.

Most importantly.. READ posts about them. Not only on here but also AR15.com. You will find a ton of info. It can get confusing because everyone has different builds and opinions on the gun. And remember. You can always buy or build another AR in the future. So if you like yours and decide you want a ling range hunter/target gun, you can always build another to fit your wants/needs.

arslin
10-10-2012, 7:21 PM
Someone once said here... there is no such thing as too much ammo. There is only "I do not have money for ammo," and "I do not have room for more ammo." My opinion is: first you need to know what you want in your rifle. You might find yourself saying... "I wish I had a (insert accessory)." It would suck to get to the range and say to yourself, why did I buy this (insert accessory). However, the first (and essential) accessory is large supply of ammo. I have around 2000 rounds... I would have more but it is hard to hide it from the wife:helpsmilie:

Your AR will work without many things... lack of ammo makes it a decoration.

glock21fan
10-10-2012, 7:30 PM
A SAFE!!!! Protect your investment.

Cadre
10-10-2012, 7:39 PM
AMMO, range time, dont get lazzy get use to shooting with irons. Welcome to the addiction. Congrats, be safe and have fun.

AVID HUNTER
10-10-2012, 7:42 PM
I second the AK idea. You can't stop with one gun. Put 200 down on an AK, and spend the remainder on ammo.

Dango
10-10-2012, 7:43 PM
definitely ammo. It seems prices continue to creep up as time goes.

FeuerFrei
10-10-2012, 8:09 PM
I just purchased a Colt 6920ca from Turners, and now waiting for it to come off Consignment. I am thrilled to be a gun owner, and shoot such an amazing weapon. My question is what do I get now? With an infinite amount of accessories, what do you get first? Since majority of the money was spent on the gun, I have roughly $300 to play with. What would be a recommendation for prioritizing what to buy next. I was considering a good case, and lock since I do not have a safe. Any input would be appreciated.

Don't buy any gadgets yet. Download a free copy of the Army M16 field manual and print it out. Get familiar with every piece on the rifle and learn how things fit/work together. Buy about 100 rds of surplus/new ammo and a couple of good Magpul mags w/10 rd limiter inserts. Buy 1 quart of Mobil 1 synthetic from auto parts store. Lube is important. Boresnake to clean the barrel. Shoot it and search/ask questions.

Sent with 2 cans & a long string.

Squidward
10-10-2012, 8:19 PM
$300 should easily get you half a case of ammo, gun case and a cleaning kit. BTW, don't be too quick to accessorize. It's highly over-rated!:D

Mossy Man
10-10-2012, 8:21 PM
$300 should easily get you half a case of ammo, gun case and a cleaning kit. BTW, don't be too quick to accessorize. It's highly over-rated!:D

Wrong.

OP should buy my FDE carbine kit.

Dinosaur Jr
10-10-2012, 8:32 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--drouoVDVjY/UHY89MoQH8I/AAAAAAAABks/ta66HURO8dk/s501/duplicate1.jpg

glock1973
10-10-2012, 8:53 PM
Ammo dude. Buy reloads, saves you a lot of money. Range Time and just shoot.