PDA

View Full Version : Need help building my first CA legal AR

tazz13
07-10-2007, 9:36 PM
Hello members
I could use some help building my first AR, I live in Norco, CA, any help would be appreciated, Thank you

jkasandiego
07-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Do you have all the parts for your first build?

ghost
07-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Hello members
I could use some help building my first AR, I live in Norco, CA, any help would be appreciated, Thank you

what do you actually need help on?

tazz13
07-10-2007, 10:41 PM
from step one- purchasing parts on to finish

tazz13
07-10-2007, 10:42 PM
no I do not have any parts yet

leelaw
07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Figure out how you are going to build it within compliance of CA AW laws: featureless, or with a fixed magazine.

Buy a lower receiver - this must be run through an FFL, ten day waiting period, all that good stuff. Get anything BUT Hesse/Vulcan, and maybe stay away from Olympic.

Buy a lower parts kit (includes a pistol grip, fire control group - hammer, trigger, sear - and springs, pins, screws and plungers)

Buy a buttstock - if you are going featureless get a fixed stock. If building with a fixed magazine, get anything you want. Don't get a folding stock unless your upper is one that incorporated a piston with captive recoil spring - unlikely for a first time build.

Buy a complete upper receiver (this includes the barrel of choice, flat-top or carry-handle upper, and handguards) - I recommend CMMG and Stag. Get chrome-lined unless building a varmint rifle.

Buy different handguards if you want. Again, for a first build I wouldn't worry about it.

Buy a non-pistol grip (might be a U-15 stock above, if featureless, or MonsterMan grip) OR buy a magazine fixing kit like the Prince 50 or Bullet Button.

Assemble the lower. Instructions are found here: http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Slap on the upper, and go shoot.

tazz13
07-10-2007, 10:57 PM
thank's for the info

Jicko
07-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Guys,

I could use some help building my next AR too!

From step zero - getting some money..... :D

Technical Ted
07-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Guys,

I could use some help building my next AR too!

From step zero - getting some money..... :D
Step Zero is collecting enough soda cans to melt down so you can cast your own receivers.

TheMan
07-11-2007, 6:28 AM
Get anything buy Hesse/Vulcan, and maybe stay away from Olympic.

A little typo really changes how that reads. I think leelaw meant "Get anything BUT Hesse/Vulcan"

Jicko
07-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Step Zero is collecting enough soda cans to melt down so you can cast your own receivers.

Hmmm that's a GREAT idea, I think I probably have enough Al to make a receiver everyday if I collect all the cans from all the recycling bins around my workplace. We've got free sodas. :D