PDA

View Full Version : Ejection problems with my Kimber eclipse

Ricky808maui
10-09-2012, 9:28 PM
My 4 inch 1911 has about 2000 rds thru it and just recently I've been having problems with it. It is ejecting brass straight back in the face.... At first it was ejecting straight back every round so I took it to a smith and he adjusted the ejector.... Now it happens every other mag.. I'm thinking about buying a new recoil spring but want some opinions before I spend more Money.... Anyone out there had this happen before?

Tried different ammo
Tried different mags

jonzer77
10-09-2012, 9:48 PM
I would try a new recoil spring since the shorter barrel 1911's spring can wear out faster.

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/1911/a-guide-to-1911-recoil-springs-by-wilson-combat/

MA2
10-09-2012, 9:52 PM
Extractor Tension...he explains better than I can type...

ENFoZPF2-FM

jonzer77
10-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Extractor Tension...he explains better than I can type...

ENFoZPF2-FM

That was my first thought as well but he said his gunsmith tuned it. It is cheap to try out a new recoil spring and it's always good to have a spare.

JTROKS
10-10-2012, 12:56 AM
By any chance you dropped a round in the chamber and sent the slide into battery? It's really bad for the internal type extractors due to the spring tension comes from the body of the extractor instead of a coil spring.

I'm not sure if the Eclipse line ever had external extractors, but does your Kimber have it?

Ricky808maui
10-10-2012, 1:27 AM
no i dont think it has a external extractor but i guess ill just try a new recoil spring

JTROKS
10-10-2012, 3:08 AM
A new recoil spring may change the direction of the ejected brass, but if it doesn't retuning the extractor may be required. Did you try to see if the extractor can hold a loaded round - this is done with the slide off the receiver and the barrel taken out of the slide, just like the video.

Ricky808maui
10-10-2012, 3:13 AM
Yeah I tried like the video it seems to hold the loaded round

redcliff
10-10-2012, 5:33 AM
I would try a new recoil spring since the shorter barrel 1911's spring can wear out faster.

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/1911/a-guide-to-1911-recoil-springs-by-wilson-combat/

This. Be sure to get the Wolff XP spring made especially for Kimber 4" pistols #32725.

And to be clear, the pistol isn't really ejecting the case straight back; its ejecting to the side and the slide is kicking the empty case backwards at you. These problems have two possible (and sometimes overlapping) causes; ejection timing and ejection angle. Sometimes you need to change all three variables (ejector angle, extractor tension, and recoil spring) to get them putting brass where you want. Take a good look at your ejection port on your pistol and you should see brass marks somewhere around the openning where the slide hits the brass on the way out.