PDA

View Full Version : AR Upgrade or replace....?

ThE_LoNgShOt
10-09-2012, 8:59 PM
Ok, so I did a search before posting this "AR question" in hopes of not getting blasted.... Didn't see anything recent. So here's the question.

I've got an entry level del-ton that I've done a few cosmetic mods to (Magpul stock, handguard, pistol grip, trigger guard, Daniel defense rear sight) and now find that I'm interested in possibly upgrading to a nickel boron BCG and a better barrel. I figure that to be roughly $500 in upgrades. I have had great results and reliability with my Del-Ton so I'm not necessarily in a hurry to toss it aside and buy something else. However, I am no expert on AR's so I thought I'd consult some guys / gals who are to see if my upgrades make sense, or if I should just buy a better rifle? Any suggestions? I suppose I should note that I shoot two or three times a month, about 200 rounds each time I'm out.

CK_32
10-09-2012, 9:03 PM
Honestly OP save your del ton and just build another AR... Your going to end up with almost another AR when your done just save yourself time and spare parts and buy a lower or upper and start another build..

No reason to toss a perfectly faithful AR aside and upgrade and have a ton of spare parts.. I did that my first build and sold a ton and still have a few left over parts in the closet.

SuperSet
10-09-2012, 9:07 PM
What is the goal of the upgrade? More accuracy?

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 9:12 PM
Not seeing why you would need to upgrade the barrel... what would be the reason?

The NiBor BCG is nice.. I have one and it's super easy to clean, but it's expensive and not really necessary.

I agree with the others here.. keep the DelTon as is and save up for another AR (a nicer one).. after all "two is one and one is none" ;)

a1c
10-09-2012, 9:13 PM
Just buy a new basic upper with a quality barrel, and upgrade your lower. Sell your Del-ton upper to finance a nice trigger, and you're done.

ThE_LoNgShOt
10-09-2012, 9:16 PM
What is the goal of the upgrade? More accuracy?

Yes... That and long term reliability.

BBB114
10-09-2012, 9:16 PM
I would just look into another upper with the specs you like. Then, down the road, you can get another lower, maybe put in a nice trigger and put the del-ton back together and have 2 rifles for when you want to bring a buddy or lady friend out to shoot.

I would not break down a perfectly good rifle. Check out BCM for their barrelled uppers and wait for them to be on sale. Also Palmetto state armory has some good deals too.

Boyan

Jyruiz
10-09-2012, 9:17 PM
Save and get a second AR.

tanakasan
10-09-2012, 9:25 PM
If the Delton shoots well and reliably, leave it alone.

Get a second upper spec'd the way you want. Shoot it. Then build another lower when time and $$ permits for a second complete rifle. You know you eventually want more than one AR!

robert

wsmc27
10-09-2012, 10:43 PM

I agree with the others here.. keep the DelTon as is and save up for another AR (a nicer one).. after all "two is one and one is none" ;)

^^^ agreed on this, and with the others making similar suggestions.

SuperSet
10-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Yes... That and long term reliability.

That DelTon barrel should last you a long time, as long as you're not bump firing it on your 2-3 outings.
If the accuracy is not up to snuff, you'd want something with a good match barrel (i.e. 18-20" stainless or nitrided) and good match ammo (69-77gr SMKs are awesome). You can probably keep the same lower too, as long as you have a good trigger.