PDA

View Full Version : Is Palmeto dishonest or just slick?

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 8:56 PM
So you're going to have a 10% off sale.. cool..

Then you jack up all your prices so that the 10% is really more like $2 off.. no so cool..

Was looking at a 16" upper for $289 a couple of days ago.. go there today and it's $320.. with fancy 10% off sale it's $288.. lol.. really?

I guess I should be happy to get another dollar or two off, but the whole deal feels dirty and buying it just seems to be rewarding someone slimy merchant behavior.

They have good prices, but a crap marketing department.

This common?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/mid-length-a2-profile-premium-madness-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Jyruiz
10-09-2012, 9:19 PM
Maybe the $289. price, was a sale price.

bender152
10-09-2012, 9:22 PM
LPK's were $50 yesterday, $65 today.

Also, I saw the following on another site:
"For what I wanted (Sig Sauer 2022) it was 360 shipped yesterday; now it is 380 - 10% = 342 + 15 s/h = 357."

I love Palmetto, but this "sale" could have been better handled.

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 9:26 PM
Maybe the $289. price, was a sale price.

No, it just had the "Regular Price = XXX Special Price = XXX" deal they always do.

I had the item bookmarked to go back and buy it.. when I clicked on it tonight the price jumped up. Went to their homepage and saw the "10% Sale" and added the lower to a cart just to see.. sure enough it took off 10% and dropped the price down to about what it was before the whole sale thing started.

Just felt sorta shady.. if you don't want to really put it on sale then just leave the old price. Don't try to create the illusion that you're getting some sort of deal.

I have a feeling that when the sale ends the price will adjust back down.. just a hunch though.

Rorge Retson
10-09-2012, 9:27 PM
No one is stopping you from shopping elsewhere. If their "sale" price is better than anyone else's price, then buy it. If not, don't, and buy it somewhere else.

It actually is that simple... :1eye:

Dhena81
10-09-2012, 9:33 PM
Maybe their prices went up and you still have a chance to get their previously low prices for a limited time :D

a1c
10-09-2012, 9:33 PM
It is somewhat deceiving, yes.

jsipe007
10-09-2012, 9:39 PM
Totally off subject... but BestBuy does something very similar... their "sale" catalog actually has items that are more expensive than the normal price...

rodeoflyer
10-09-2012, 9:41 PM
READ THE FINE PRINT!!!

Go and look at their home page.

Among other things, their uppers are specifically EXCLUDED from the sale.

The "fancy 10% off sale" does not apply . It's right there - I don't see what PSA has done wrong here....

zfields
10-09-2012, 9:41 PM

Then you jack up all your prices so that the 10% is really more like $2 off.. no so cool..

Was looking at a 16" upper for $289 a couple of days ago.. go there today and it's $320.. with fancy 10% off sale it's $288.. lol.. really?

I guess I should be happy to get another dollar or two off, but the whole deal feels dirty and buying it just seems to be rewarding someone slimy merchant behavior.

This common?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/mid-length-a2-profile-premium-madness-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

based on my buddys last dealings with PSA, I think I will be avoiding them when I take the AR leap.

KWB977
10-09-2012, 9:42 PM
Costco does this all the time.

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 9:43 PM
Maybe their prices went up and you still have a chance to get their previously low prices for a limited time :D

lol.. this could be the case.. or it could be creating an "artificial urgency"

Like having a bug that says "only one left in stock!!!".. but there are really many.

I often buy things because they go on sale, so this tactic just put me off a bit..

vliberatore
10-09-2012, 9:46 PM
Screenshot?

If you have one, email/call them and ask if you can apply it on the previous price. Couldn't hurt to call them on it. That being said, it's a fairly common tactic.

TigerShark
10-09-2012, 9:46 PM
OP - Uppers, rifles and 5.56/.223 ammo are not eligible for the 10% off.

rodeoflyer
10-09-2012, 9:47 PM
based on my buddys last dealings with PSA, I think I will be avoiding them when I take the AR leap.

Do tell.....

( I ask because after putting together 10 rifles between myself and friends with their stuff - I have only had 2 problems. Shipping is typically slow, and I had a pair of LPK's that were missing the selector. Other than that, I have nothing but praise for them.)

rodeoflyer
10-09-2012, 9:48 PM
I often buy things because they go on sale, so this tactic just put me off a bit..

They didn't go on sale. There is no tactic.

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 9:50 PM
READ THE FINE PRINT!!!

Go and look at their home page.

Among other things, their uppers are specifically EXCLUDED from the sale.

The "fancy 10% off sale" does not apply . It's right there - I don't see what PSA has done wrong here....

Ok, then why not just make the 10% not apply to the uppers? Why raise the price and then give the 10% off???

And regardless of what the fine print says they are giving you 10% off the uppers but also jacking up the price 10% (ish)..

So at best, it's sort of confusing.. and if you didn't go to thier homepage you wouldn't see the fine print..

So, who here would think, going by this screen.. that they are getting 10% off of something? (and the "10% off EVERYTHING" is just a bonus I guess.. lol)

http://i48.tinypic.com/30w5jfa.jpg

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 9:51 PM
They didn't go on sale. There is no tactic.

Funny.. my checkout screen says you are misinformed.. :)

CK_32
10-09-2012, 9:57 PM
And I remember al the guys swearing by palmetto when their polymer lowers came out...

This is probably why that fan club died out so fast...

Shame shame palmetto :nono:

Enfield47
10-09-2012, 9:59 PM
All retailers do this, it's not being shady. Items go off and on sale all the time. When an item is on sale, that price might be better than when it goes on sale again. If the price is good (on sale or not) then buy it before the price can change.

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 10:01 PM
All retailers do this, it's not being shady. Items go off and on sale all the time. When an item is on sale, that price might be better than when it goes on sale again. If the price is good (on sale or not) then buy it before the price can change.

So if shady behavior becomes common enough then it's no longer shady? lol

I get it that this is done by other retailers (and you're wrong, not ALL), but that doesn't make it the most ethical practice

The implication of a sale is that the vendor is offering a limited time discount as an encouragement to buy the item. Not that some numbers game is being played.

joker70
10-09-2012, 10:04 PM
I just ordered a PSA/Geissele SSA LPK for $179. I think I did alright.

Rorge Retson
10-09-2012, 10:10 PM
You guys are acting like someone is stealing your lunch money. Who cares if they raise or lower their prices one day or the next? If you have been doing your research, you know what something should cost, and if it is a good deal or not.

vliberatore
10-09-2012, 10:10 PM
How is it not ethical? How is it shady? Dismissing the fact that PSA uppers are noted as not being included in the sale, you can pay full retail ($320) or the sale price ($288). The price of the product is an offer that can be changed/revoked by the seller as they see fit. Previous prices have nothing to do with current prices.

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 10:13 PM
You guys are acting like someone is stealing your lunch money. Who cares if they raise or lower their prices one day or the next? If you have been doing your research, you know what something should cost, and if it is a good deal or not.

I just thought it was an "odd" practice to pretend that something is being discounted off the normal price when it's not.

Was sort of surprised by it and wanted to know people's opinions and if it was a common practice.

Never made it a bigger deal than that.. no matter how my you try to add in the drama that didn't/doesn't exist :)

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 10:16 PM
How is it not ethical? How is it shady? Dismissing the fact that PSA uppers are noted as not being included in the sale, you can pay full retail ($320) or the sale price ($288). The price of the product is an offer that can be changed/revoked by the seller as they see fit. Previous prices have nothing to do with current prices.

Funny, the "Full Retail" (actually the "Special") price yesterday was $289.

And going by the screen capture the uppers are obviously on sale... well, sort of.. after all.. "everything" is on sale according to that screen lol.

Were lower parts kits listed as "not being included".. because that price went up today when the sale started as well.

Yea, I know.. it's thier business.. they can price how they want.. I don't have to shop there.. blah blah blah.. doesn't mean I don't have the right to point out what I saw as less that straightforward business policies.

firebert
10-09-2012, 10:17 PM
I have noticed that Palmetto prices increase by a couple of dollars every month.

vliberatore
10-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Funny, the "Full Retail" (actually the "Special") price yesterday was $289.

And going by the screen capture the uppers are obviously on sale... well, sort of.. after all.. "everything" is on sale according to that screen lol.

Were lower parts kits listed as "not being included".. because that price went up today when the sale started as well.

Yea, I know.. it's thier business.. they can price how they want.. I don't have to shop there.. blah blah blah.. doesn't mean I don't have the right to point out what I saw as less that straightforward business policies.

Bolded word is key. Past tense. Current prices are all that matter. Do you complain about not being able to buy gas today based on yesterday's prices?

wsmc27
10-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Have probably ordered a 15 times from PSA over the last 3 or 4 years, no probs here.

Very much enjoying our recent summer purchase of a new 16'' middy upper, shoots great, runs all the ammo we've tried in it. Delivered on time per their online info. Would buy again.

We don't consider PSA dishonest or slick per OP thread title.

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Bolded word is key. Past tense. Current prices are all that matter. Do you complain about not being able to buy gas today based on yesterday's prices?

It's ok, we obviously have different standards of what we expect from companies we do business with.

:)

Damn True
10-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Full-Floater Fans & Franks are everywhere Steve-O

uh2oguy
10-09-2012, 11:41 PM
maybe it's "supply and demand and the presidential election that is coming" that has to do with prices.

Chaos47
10-09-2012, 11:46 PM
They had a sale Columbus Day weekend. Before that they had a fall madness sale which is over too.
That is why the prices are back up to what they used to be before the sales.
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs034/1103622714441/img/603.jpg

The email image clearly says its not good on uppers in the corner:
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs034/1103622714441/img/633.jpg

mrvash
10-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Did PSA have a change in management or something? seems like people are becoming dissatisfied with their services lately. I was thinking of placing an order for an LPK, now I'm debating whether I should.

lordres
10-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Common tactic used everywhere. Especially places like Kohls.

Javi
10-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Did PSA have a change in management or something? seems like people are becoming dissatisfied with their services lately. I was thinking of placing an order for an LPK, now I'm debating whether I should.

I haven't ordered a ton from them but my last order was a lpk and everything went fine & before that was a complete reloading kit. They've been having a lot of good sales lately that I completely understand any slow shipping. I'm usually in no rush so it's completely fine for me. Will continue to order from them.

rojocorsa
10-10-2012, 12:55 AM
My only complaint is slow shipping. No probs otherwise. I ordered an LPK, I hope it is complete.

But for $150, I got an STR stock and extension/spring/buffer and complete LPK kit.

Let's hope it's complete.

jpm804
10-10-2012, 2:18 AM
I've had nothing but good luck with PSA... slow shipping I can handle since I expect that from them. Its more than made up by the pricing they offer on items I know are cheaper than anybody else.

roushstage2
10-10-2012, 2:24 AM
Seems like they simply changed the website to make every item be 10% off when added to the cart, but raised the price of excluded items by 10% to balance it out? Horrible way to go about it IMO, but that seems like that is what's going on.

Steve1968LS2
10-10-2012, 7:21 AM
Seems like they simply changed the website to make every item be 10% off when added to the cart, but raised the price of excluded items by 10% to balance it out? Horrible way to go about it IMO, but that seems like that is what's going on.

That was really my only point.. :)

Seems to me thier website "guy" was too lazy to set the database to only discount certain items so they put it all on sale and then raised the prices on the "excluded" amd a few other items.

Although I don't see how this is easier.. but I will give them the benefit of doubt.

-hanko
10-10-2012, 7:28 AM
maybe it's "supply and demand and the presidential election that is coming" that has to do with prices.
/thread

How very quickly we forget Spike's pricing screw-job as the 2008 elections approached.:rolleyes:

I've got zero issues having ordered quite a few times from PSA...but I'm patient with shipping times.

-hanko

Palmetto State Armory
10-10-2012, 8:19 AM
Previous sale items were reverted back to their non sale prices. We advertised that the sale on those items would be ending. The current sale also clearly lists items that are excluded from the 10% off sale. We had an issue when the 10% off went live last night that allowed some items to be included in the sale. This was corrected as quickly as possible.

We run sales, deals, and other promotions just about every day that greatly discount items and are subject to end at any time without notice. We try to be fair and honest with our pricing and service. We support the California gun enthusiast community. I'm sorry that if some people feel this was a "shady" sale, but it wasn't intentional.

And I remember al the guys swearing by palmetto when their polymer lowers came out...

This is probably why that fan club died out so fast...

Shame shame palmetto :nono:

We have never had PSA polymer lowers. :confused:

Lc17smp
10-10-2012, 8:26 AM
We have come to expect that PSA will always have what we want on sale so we wait and wait and wait and then ***** when the price goes up. :D When they have a sale on something you need buy it asap as some of their items on sale cant be matched by any other retailer. You never know when you will need 5 extra lower build kits. I had a problem with 1 lpk and they made it right asap.

Rorge Retson
10-10-2012, 8:31 AM
When they have a sale on something you need buy it asap as some of their items on sale cant be matched by any other retailer.
This. ^^^

Like the Blazer Brass .40 S&W ammo on sale for $11.99 (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/cci-blazer-brass-ammunition-40-sw-180-grain-full-metal-jacket.html) right now. Can't remember the last time I saw it for this cheap :yes:

BajaJames83
10-10-2012, 8:35 AM
That's pretty common in a lot of retail. Costco is a prime example of this too. But the sale generally will move for product.

HK Dave
10-10-2012, 8:44 AM
I get Palmetto emails since i'm subscribed to them and they have a "sale" every few days. It's just how they do business.

The way I look at it... their parts are so cheap to begin with, I don't really care that they have so many "sales".

21SF
10-10-2012, 9:31 AM
Shady, but everyone does it.

RookieShooter
10-10-2012, 9:39 AM
It's a typical marketing strategy like most major sales at the department stores. Mark up the price and post a big sale banner in the front door to lure customers into their shop. :)
But hey, you might find a good deal. You never know... :)

RazzB7
10-10-2012, 9:41 AM
BEVMO employs the same strategy for their "$.05 wine sale". Is it deceptive? Yes. Is it dishonest? Maybe. Is it slick? Definitely.

eclectic
10-10-2012, 9:45 AM

This common?

"Dirty, slimy behavior" is some pretty harsh vernacular to use to describe a quality vendor who consistently delivers great products to support our California community.

Logically, I can deduce that they apply a site-wide 10% discount to your cart. They raised the prices by 10% accordingly on items that were not on sale. You're paying the exact same price for the upper that you would've yesterday, but anything else you add to your cart is 10% off and you're mad WHY, exactly?

This kind of whining is literally mindboggling - you're paying the same amount and this is among the more scrupulous ways of pricing this. They could have coded some complicated "this item is on sale, this item isn't" thing but then people would've been up in arms when not every item was on sale. Not to mention from a coding standpoint it would've been a lot more complicated than just doing a temporary price adjustment.

Honestly, if you don't like the prices, don't buy it. This isn't even remotely slimy, and would not alter my decision to buy from PSA at all. From what I understand, they're terrific to deal with and I hope to buy from them soon.

eclectic

frdman
10-10-2012, 10:01 AM
I've been eyeing an RCBS chargemaster for the last few weeks on Palmetto. This 10% will push me over the tipping point. I'll be making an order today.