PDA

View Full Version : What About 12.7mm by 107mm?

1911su16b870
07-10-2007, 8:32 AM
Wouldn't the EU/Russian 12.7mm by 107mm be another alternative to 510 DTC, or does the 50 BMG fit loosely in this action, thereby making it an EBR AW? Surplus ammo may be hard to get, but should be available. It would be greatly appreciated if one of the 50 cal guys could post on this. :confused:

DJDace
07-10-2007, 8:46 AM
Pffft if you want to get into alternative crazy-huge calibers go with this bad-boy!

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn55-e.htm

p.s. yeah I know in CA it would be classified as a "destructive device" but all the same assembling this thing at Angeles Range would be about the funniest thing of all time. The steel pig @ 600 yards would be blown to smithereens.

Lohse
07-10-2007, 9:03 AM
50 BMG is 12.7mm x 99mm so it's not the same caliber. However, a rifle chambered in 12.7mm x 107mm would probably chamber a 50 BMG round (I don't think it matters if it'll fire it or not). If I remember correctly it's any rifle capable of chambering a 50 BMG round is an AW in California. The 510 DTC is a slightly smaller round so anything chamberd in 510 DTC can't chamber a 50 BMG round.

C.G.
07-10-2007, 9:40 AM
50 BMG is 12.7mm x 99mm so it's not the same caliber. However, a rifle chambered in 12.7mm x 107mm would probably chamber a 50 BMG round (I don't think it matters if it'll fire it or not). If I remember correctly it's any rifle capable of chambering a 50 BMG round is an AW in California. The 510 DTC is a slightly smaller round so anything chamberd in 510 DTC can't chamber a 50 BMG round.

Wrong. The ban is specifically for .50BMG and also anything over .60 caliber.

PanzerAce
07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Actually, 14.5 is legal to own in CA. I think federally it is still a DD, and good luck finding ammo.

soopafly
07-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Wouldn't the EU/Russian 12.7mm by 107mm be another alternative to 510 DTC, or does the 50 BMG fit loosely in this action, thereby making it an EBR AW? Surplus ammo may be hard to get, but should be available. It would be greatly appreciated if one of the 50 cal guys could post on this. :confused:

Funny you should ask this. I was at Turner's recently, about to be handed a Kimber to check out, when I see one of the other clerks pulling out a large tan rifle case with the Anzio Ironworks logo on the side. I'm like, whoa, wait a minute...
The clerk puts the case on the counter, opens it, and lo and behold there's one of these inside:
http://www.anzioironworks.com/Photos/Gun1.jpg
A customer came in to start a DROS on one of these chambered in....

....12.7mm Russian.
Good luck finding ammo. Same customer bought 500 rounds of the stuff from Anzio–all they had left. Anzio doesn't know if/when any more 12.7 ammo will come in.

1911su16b870
07-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Wow! Thanks for that update soopafly! :D IMO a CA 50BMG ban replacement catridge has just been found, now just need to look at Ballistics and Ammo supply.

50 Shooter
07-10-2007, 11:20 AM
BAH!!! If you're looking for big, look at the 14.5mm JDJ.

http://www.sskindustries.com/14_5.htm

1911su16b870
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
50 Shooter, What is the world at the range on the 12.7x108 and the 14.5 cartridges?

50 Shooter
07-10-2007, 1:39 PM
None as I've never seen anyone with either of them. Cost is what usually motivates people, the 50 DTC is way less in cost per rifle and rounds of ammo.

Skammy
07-10-2007, 7:09 PM
I was thinking of this a while back..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/Skammy/imfifty.jpg
20mm knecked down to .50 :D
It's basically a shortened .50 fat mac IIRC

50 Shooter
07-10-2007, 8:45 PM
I remember reading that the biggest problem facing the Fat Mac was barrel life. I think the barrel life was a few hundred rounds, not very good for a rifle of that cost.

PanzerAce
07-10-2007, 9:43 PM
a few hundred? Damn. I was actually thinking about what that kind of round would be like.

xenophobe
07-10-2007, 10:20 PM
http://www.anzioironworks.com/Photos/Gun1.jpg
A customer came in to start a DROS on one of these chambered in....

Those are cool. The guy at Anzio is great too. His rifles are well crafted and they get their product out in time... unlike that other guy that lives in the same town. lol

Cpl_Peters
07-11-2007, 6:31 AM
i'm thinking more and more about maxing the visa for a 50 dtc

adamsreeftank
07-11-2007, 9:35 AM
If you are gonna go big, then go REALLY big!

50 Shooter
07-11-2007, 9:37 AM
Wish we could but 20mm is a no go in Kali.

Pulsar
07-11-2007, 4:46 PM
I was thinking of this a while back..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/Skammy/imfifty.jpg
20mm knecked down to .50 :D
It's basically a shortened .50 fat mac IIRC

I actually saw a custom rifle at the Big Reno Show about a year ago that fired a 20mm necked down to 12.7mm Rifle weighed something like 75 lbs and had a bull barrel and was just a bolt action single shot.

Bolt2Bounce
07-11-2007, 5:42 PM
The Armalite AR-50 was designed around the 12.7X108MM Russian round and all you would need for it would be a new barrel or to ream the chamber on the existing barrel at... $2400 per rifle & new barrel would still set you back about 3G's less scope. Ammo is the issue, as it may never get in-country in any numbers...ATF seems to have a policy about sporting purpose's and telling them your shooting jack rabbits with it may not cut it....B2B

grammaton76
07-11-2007, 6:07 PM
None as I've never seen anyone with either of them. Cost is what usually motivates people, the 50 DTC is way less in cost per rifle and rounds of ammo.

Don't forget:

1. Uses the same components as BMG
2. Can be readily formed from BMG brass.
3. Case capacity is comparable, and it should do everything BMG does.

Frankly, I'm perfectly happy with DTC. Imagine what would've happened in "Shooter" if Swaggart were to say, "Well, you're holding a 50 BMG case in your hand, recovered from the crime scene - but that rifle over there won't even chamber it."

That having been said, I've seen a scanned letter from ATF somewhere that states 14.5mm has been given a sporting-purpose exemption, so the ammo isn't a destructive device. The rifle, on the other hand, may require a permit. Supposedly it isn't hard to get a DD permit in CA, as there's a guy in San Diego who files new permits for his brass cannons on a regular basis. He keeps getting more of the blasted things. :)

NeoWeird
07-11-2007, 7:18 PM
Don't forget:

1. Uses the same components as BMG
2. Can be readily formed from BMG brass.
3. Case capacity is comparable, and it should do everything BMG does.

Frankly, I'm perfectly happy with DTC. Imagine what would've happened in "Shooter" if Swaggart were to say, "Well, you're holding a 50 BMG case in your hand, recovered from the crime scene - but that rifle over there won't even chamber it."

That having been said, I've seen a scanned letter from ATF somewhere that states 14.5mm has been given a sporting-purpose exemption, so the ammo isn't a destructive device. The rifle, on the other hand, may require a permit. Supposedly it isn't hard to get a DD permit in CA, as there's a guy in San Diego who files new permits for his brass cannons on a regular basis. He keeps getting more of the blasted things. :)

I believe the permit to COLLECT DDs is fairly easy to get, but to actually discharge them is a WHOLE different story. I could be wrong but that was the word I got from knowledgable, albeit not government employed, gun people.

Honestly, for the average person anything over .30-06 seems a waste. Yeah it's cool and it would kick like hell, but why drop $5k+ to shoot $3 a trigger pull @ 100 yards? Don't get me wrong, I used to be in the 'I want bigger' crowd, but the more I think about it the more I like small little rounds. Nothing wrong with the big stuff, just don't have a need for it and there are about 50 gazillion guns I don't own yet that I DO have a need for.

Just think, you could get a real Mauser C96 with the original shoulder stock for that price. Best SBR variant allowed in California (as far as I am aware).