PDA

View Full Version : Any using a Fab10 lower w. 50 Beowulf or 6.5 Grendle

gplaw2000
07-10-2007, 8:10 AM
Is anyone currently using a Fab 10 lower with either a 50 Beowulf, 6.5 Grendle or both? I am considering buying both uppers, but wanted to see if anyone had experienced any problems before I made the investment. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

C.G.
07-10-2007, 8:35 AM
FAB 10 will accomodate 3 .50 Beowulf rounds, will not accomodate any Grendel rounds (you would have to mod a Grendel magazine to fit).

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2007, 8:48 AM
I was unable to remove the mag. on my very early FAB10. I ended up just milling the mag flush with the lower so that it would fit on my bolt action ALS upper. I would suggest looking at your mag. carefully and then I bet you will deside to get an OLL for this project.

DJDace
07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
The only other advice I can give you is this;

Make sure you really really want a .50 Beo or a 6.5 Grendel Upper from Alexander Arms before you order one. :) It's gonna be a bit of a wait, so make sure are prepared for the wait by either having other guns to shoot, or extra money to work on another project in the interm :p

I'm still very excited about my Grendel build, but the wait is brutal! :) That said, everything I have read and researched about the 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform has only further increased my desire to explore this rounds potential.

Good luck with your project!

C.G.
07-10-2007, 10:32 AM
I was unable to remove the mag. on my very early FAB10. I ended up just milling the mag flush with the lower so that it would fit on my bolt action ALS upper. I would suggest looking at your mag. carefully and then I bet you will deside to get an OLL for this project.

On the later models, you have to remove bolt catch, unscrew the allen screw and drill out the pop rivet; don't know about earlier models.

C.G.
07-10-2007, 10:33 AM
The only other advice I can give you is this;

Make sure you really really want a .50 Beo or a 6.5 Grendel Upper from Alexander Arms before you order one. :) It's gonna be a bit of a wait, so make sure are prepared for the wait by either having other guns to shoot, or extra money to work on another project in the interm :p

I'm still very excited about my Grendel build, but the wait is brutal! :) That said, everything I have read and researched about the 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform has only further increased my desire to explore this rounds potential.

Good luck with your project!

Or if Midway/Cabellas/Umlaut happens to have them in stock there is no wait.

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2007, 11:09 AM
On the later models, you have to remove bolt catch, unscrew the allen screw and drill out the pop rivet; don't know about earlier models.

It appears that it was epoxyed and the set screw was there for looks. No problem now since it is dedicated for my ALS!

DJDace
07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Or if Midway/Cabellas/Umlaut happens to have them in stock there is no wait.

Ahh if ONLY! :) I looked all over the place for a Grendel Upper I liked and couldn't find one, so the only alternative was not getting one, or waiting 4-5 months or so. Either way if its something you want the wait is worth it.

gplaw2000
07-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks to everyone for the information. I decided that I am going to go with the Beowulf and will have to put further thought into the Grendle. Unfortunately, employment requires me to stay out of the gray area argument associated with the OLL's and go with the Fab 10 lower. The wait is going to be arduous since the Fab 10 and Beowulf/Grendle are all on backorder. Hopefully in the long run it will be worth it.

C.G.
07-10-2007, 12:55 PM
DJDace and GPLAW2000,
Lars at Umlaut Arms received a shipment of Beowulfs on 6/27, give him a call to see if he has any left:
http://www.50beowulf.com/store/index.htm

Also, Grendels come up for sale here on occasion although ususally they don't last long:
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

DJDace
07-10-2007, 1:09 PM
DJDace and GPLAW2000,
Lars at Umlaut Arms received a shipment of Beowulfs on 6/27, give him a call to see if he has any left:
http://www.50beowulf.com/store/index.htm

Also, Grendels come up for sale here on occasion although ususally they don't last long:
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Thanks C.G :) Mine is supposed to have been shipping to my vendor at the end of June, but I haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully it will arrive soon and I can finish putting the rifle together and take it out for some test firing.

TheMan
07-10-2007, 3:21 PM
With the .50 Beowulf, the cartridge is wider than the feedlips, so you have to push it in from the front of the mag. Is that going to pose a problem when using it with a Fab-10? Will you have enough room with the upper tipped forward, or will you need to actually remove the upper?

There isn't gray area if you use an OLL and configure it to have none of the AW features. Fixed stock, no flash hider, and no pistol grip. AFAIK, even the DOJ has admitted this. I would suggest this route instead. The beowulf doesn't come with a flash hider, and pretty much requires a fixed stock. So all that stands in your way of using detachable mags is a pistol grip. A MMG or similar non pistol grip and you should be good to go. That is how my beowulf is set up.

thedrickel
07-10-2007, 4:25 PM
Thanks to everyone for the information. I decided that I am going to go with the Beowulf and will have to put further thought into the Grendle. Unfortunately, employment requires me to stay out of the gray area argument associated with the OLL's and go with the Fab 10 lower. The wait is going to be arduous since the Fab 10 and Beowulf/Grendle are all on backorder. Hopefully in the long run it will be worth it.

I'm sure if you post a WTB in the classifieds here somebody will gladly sell you a FAB10 (not that I would condone an act such as this).

C.G.
07-10-2007, 5:22 PM
With the .50 Beowulf, the cartridge is wider than the feedlips, so you have to push it in from the front of the mag. Is that going to pose a problem when using it with a Fab-10? Will you have enough room with the upper tipped forward, or will you need to actually remove the upper?

As I mentioned earlier it will work fine with FAB 10, but will only feed 3 rounds, not four, because the mag is shorter; you do not have to take the upper off. I've had my Beowulf on a FAB-10 before the term OLL even existed.

adamsreeftank
07-10-2007, 6:03 PM
As I mentioned earlier it will work fine with FAB 10, but will only feed 3 rounds, not four, because the mag is shorter; you do not have to take the upper off. I've had my Beowulf on a FAB-10 before the term OLL even existed.

Hey ol' timer, tell us what it was like b'for all this newfangled 'lectricity and stuff.:D

Seriously, why get a high end specialty upper and put it on a POS likely out of spec lower. Rumor has it that Fab10 magazines have been pulled out by hand making them an AW. I think you will be safer and happier with a quality lower and a MM grip.

C.G.
07-10-2007, 9:48 PM
Hey ol' timer, tell us what it was like b'for all this newfangled 'lectricity and stuff.:D

Seriously, why get a high end specialty upper and put it on a POS likely out of spec lower. Rumor has it that Fab10 magazines have been pulled out by hand making them an AW. I think you will be safer and happier with a quality lower and a MM grip.

Lectricity really gets my sparks up, but that is probably more information than you wanted to know.:D

Actually, many FAB-10s were in spec (some were not) except the buffer retainer hole. I know that some Vulcan mags were manhandled free and maybe the earlier version of FAB-10 without the bolt catch, but the later version would be difficult to manhandle without harming the bolt catch; plus there is very little mag to get hold of.
I agree that a quality lower would be the way to go, but even some of those can be out of spec and also, the original poster said he could not take the chance on an OLL. If I were him I would get the Vulcan version which has been sanctioned by the DOJ, er BOF, and the later version with 2nd generation PRO-Mags can actually hold 7 rounds of Beowulf (don't ask me why somehow it passes the block for 5.56, because it still only holds 10 rounds of 5.56).
I know some members here shoot the Beo with MM grip, personally I won't. It can be a punishing round after 50 rounds or so, and in my opinion a regular grip provides a lot more control. I would suggest Prince or BB mod, since you won't get over 10 rounds in a mag anyway, and that is not even talking about the cost of Beo ammo even if you reload. I will burn 200 rounds of 5.56 and not even think about it, but won't shoot more than 50 rounds at a time, generally 20-30.