PDA

View Full Version : Help needed builing my first Cali Legal AR15

Scouter
07-10-2007, 2:25 AM
I want to build a cali legal ar style. .. been browsing the site endlessly, so much wonderful information and awesome builds!

Is it possible to buy a lower that's already built, so I could just buy an upper to drop in?

For my first one that is what I'd like to do, second one and after I've been here for a while and getting the hang of things is when I'll be doing evrythhing myself.

Thanks gusy!

RobG
07-10-2007, 6:03 AM
Chris at Lanworldinc.com has lowers built with a U15 stock or Monsterman grip/A2 stock combo that is ready to drop a lower onto. He could probably do a Bullet Button build up as well. Great service and prices....

rod
07-10-2007, 6:10 AM
Any chance we could talk you into building your first one from the ground up? It's really not that hard. If you're in San Diego, I'd be willing to help you. I'm sure others here would help out too if you wanted.

Jicko
07-10-2007, 8:08 AM
I want to build a cali legal ar style. .. been browsing the site endlessly, so much wonderful information and awesome builds!

Is it possible to buy a lower that's already built, so I could just buy an upper to drop in?

For my first one that is what I'd like to do, second one and after I've been here for a while and getting the hang of things is when I'll be doing evrythhing myself.

Thanks gusy!

:xeno:

And... the FAQ...

And... the "tips" thread...

fairfaxjim
07-10-2007, 8:59 AM
:xeno:

And... the FAQ...

And... the "tips" thread...

And jsut go do it! You won't be sorry, I guarantee it!

Scouter
07-10-2007, 11:33 AM
And jsut go do it! You won't be sorry, I guarantee it!

Thanks guys, yes I've already read all the tutorials and step by steps before I posted. doesn't seem extremely difficult, but I'd still like to buy my first lower.

Thanks for all the info people, great site.

ar15barrels
07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys, yes I've already read all the tutorials and step by steps before I posted. doesn't seem extremely difficult, but I'd still like to buy my first lower.

If you are in the LA area, you are welcome to come to my shop and assemble it under my supervision.

jkasandiego
07-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Just don't loose those springs....:D:D

PIRATE14
07-10-2007, 12:57 PM

Thanks gusy!

We can do a lot of things for you.....just let us know what you need........:chris:

Read the FAQ and know what you can do and can't do........

Scouter
07-10-2007, 5:34 PM
If you are in the LA area, you are welcome to come to my shop and assemble it under my supervision.

That's one heck of an offer!
About how long would the process take under your tutelage?

Also just checked out your site, some very nice looking uppers ... do you sell the lowers as well?

Thanks!

stevie
07-10-2007, 5:50 PM
You can try Ammo Bros, they sell stripped lowers. Saw some there last week.

SemiAutoSam
07-10-2007, 5:54 PM
Your somewhat limiting his build with this statement.

He could also Use a MAG-LOCK and or a Bullet Button. and be limited to 10 round mags.

As there are two ways to skin this cat.

Detachable using a Pistol grip and as large capacity as he wants or
Fixed mag build limited to 10 round mags be able to have a Pistol grip and a collapsible stock and flash hider.

YES, as long as it's Off-list and the pistol grip is not installed and no collapsible butt stock attached.

blkA4alb
07-10-2007, 6:00 PM
If you choose to purchase a complete lower it most certainly can have the pistol grip and collapsable stock attached. As a non functioning rifle it neither centerfire/rimfire or semiautomatic/bolt action.

ar15barrels
07-10-2007, 7:56 PM
That's one heck of an offer!
About how long would the process take under your tutelage?

Also just checked out your site, some very nice looking uppers ... do you sell the lowers as well?

Thanks!

20-30 minutes depending on how much BSing goes on... :D

I don't sell lowers, but I have lower parts kits, upgraded triggers, stocks, grips and lots of different handguards and uppers.
Basically everything but lowers.

Scouter
07-10-2007, 8:10 PM
Thanks AR15barrels - Can you shoot me a pricelist of what you have by any chance, I don't see any prices on your website.

Been researching lowers and it doesn't seem like there's too much of a difference between them all?

blkA4alb
07-10-2007, 8:14 PM
Been researching lowers and it doesn't seem like there's too much of a difference between them all?

No there isn't a whole lot of difference between them except for the logo on the side and minor finish differences.

ar15barrels
07-10-2007, 8:25 PM
Thanks AR15barrels - Can you shoot me a pricelist of what you have by any chance, I don't see any prices on your website.

I don't really have a pricelist.
I work from list price and discount according to how much you are purchasing.
If you asked for a specific price on something, I can give you a quote.

aplinker
07-10-2007, 10:16 PM

Let me encourage you to do it the 1st time. I bought my 1st and have since built 3. I regret that I didn't my 1st, badly.

If you have any mechanical inclination at all it will take you about an hour. Every minute is enjoyable. The only reason I would say you shouldn't is if you're worried about scratches - it's inevitable on your 1st.

aplinker
07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't really have a pricelist.
I work from list price and discount according to how much you are purchasing.
If you asked for a specific price on something, I can give you a quote.

If you live within driving distance of Randall, DEFINITELY make the trip. The best reason to have him build something up for you is if you want to customize it out -- barrel length, rails, configuration... And he's really nice and helpful.

BossHogg
07-11-2007, 1:03 AM
Yeah I agree. Just do it yourself. It pays to know the mechanics of your rifle. It is not hard at all. A small rubber/fiberglass mallet , a small caliber jag to use as a brass punch and some electrical tape to protect is all you need. The hardest thing is to find a detent or spring that might fly across the room:D

Check out this walkthrough if you havent allready.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

inda_bebe
07-11-2007, 5:09 PM
all i used to build my ar was, a flat head screw driver, vice grip (also use it as a hammer), needle nose plyers, tape, and a phillips.

i thought it was gonna be complicated, but as soon as you have the parts laid out in front of you, it gets simple. my hardest part was the front takedown detent. it took me 10 min. to figure out how i was gonna hold the detent back, till i busted out the needle nose. after that part, i was done with the complete lower in 20 mins.

sardaukar
07-11-2007, 5:21 PM

That's exactly what I used when assembled my first lower receiver. I even printed out the image of the parts and laid all out of the pieces on it. :D

Scouter
07-12-2007, 11:11 AM
That's exactly what I used when assembled my first lower receiver. I even printed out the image of the parts and laid all out of the pieces on it. :D

The first time is always scary :eek:

I'm open for suggestions as well, I know alot of people have stated that all OLL's are pretty much the same, just grab whichever stamp you like best.

1 question I did have - what is the difference between the 1H 2H 3H etc barrels? I've been searching posts for 3 days trying to figure that out?

And any quality upper suggestions?

BossHogg
07-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Sounds like you are talking about Stag upper models. If you are southpaw you will want to look at the models with the L in them(left ejection).
Righty
http://www.stagarms.com/righthalf.htm
Lefty
http://www.stagarms.com/upperhalves.htm

Stag , Rock River , DPMS , LMT , and any other uppers the dealers on here sell are quality. If you are going to be in the san diego area this weekend you should check out the cross roads of the west show and you can pick up and handle all the uppers before you buy.

As far as the OLL's .. Stags are probably the most popular in california since Armalite and DPMS are on the no no list, but they all are pretty much the same except for the POF models which are billet and the POF III model has an ambi-bolt release.

cho034442
07-12-2007, 12:42 PM
As for installing the front takedown pin, David at riflegear.com has a great tip. He suggested to use a 1/4" dia. clevis pin (make sure it is long enough to reach the plunger on the other side), insert it from the left hand side of the lower, when it reaches the plunger, use a small screw driver to press the plunger down and then push the clevis pin through to hold the plunger. After that, insert the front take-down pin and use it to push the clevis pin out and everything would be in place.

ar15barrels
07-12-2007, 3:32 PM
And any quality upper suggestions?

I have LMT, Stag and Rock River uppers in stock if you want to come drool over them, I mean look at them.

Scouter
07-12-2007, 3:52 PM
I have LMT, Stag and Rock River uppers in stock if you want to come drool over them, I mean look at them.

I might have to do that, because I sure as heck am having trouble deciding!
I'm only about 20minutes from Tito's Taco's... I mean Culver City :D

fairfaxjim
07-12-2007, 3:59 PM
I might have to do that, because I sure as heck am having trouble deciding!
I'm only about 20minutes from Tito's Taco's... I mean Culver City :D

Dude, quit over thinkin' this thing and take ar15barrels up on his offer. You are getting handed the keys to the castle! GO FOR IT!

AKman
07-12-2007, 4:16 PM
Yeah I agree. Just do it yourself. It pays to know the mechanics of your rifle. It is not hard at all. A small rubber/fiberglass mallet , a small caliber jag to use as a brass punch and some electrical tape to protect is all you need. The hardest thing is to find a detent or spring that might fly across the room:D

I found that locking myself in an enclosed shower and covering the drain was quite helpful for this step. The spring never got away from me, but about the worst thing that could have happened would have been to get hit by a ricochet and poke your eye out.

My first build took less than two hours, and only that long since I was extra cautious, had to clean out the hole for the selector detent (it got stuck the first time it was inserted), and actually went through the safety checks for the RRA NM 2-stage trigger.

I can't believe how easy it was... If you can change a tire, you can assemble an AR.

Scouter
07-14-2007, 8:48 PM

Was wondering if you got my PM's from Wednesday and Thursday, let me know when you're available, thanks!