PDA

View Full Version : Featureless but which grip?

mike_the_wino
10-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Okay, figured I would do away with that pesky bullet button and go featureless but I can't decide which one.

Monsterman has the advantage of keeping my stock and maintaining a good cheek weld. But how does it feel?

Hammerhead looks more comfortable but you lose cheek weld. :(

And there is that dog leg looking thing (U15, found it on the flowchart), how does that thing even work?

Any shops in the North Bay where I can check these different styles out? I have enough spare parts and don't feel like adding to the collection with a couple of stocks I will never use. I have looked around here and there isn't much to see.

Thanks.

ExtremeX
10-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I went with the Hammerhead...

How do you lose a cheek weld?? You don’t have to re-locate the stock, it’s optional.

All I did was used a fixed stock in the regular place and add the grip… Another option is to just pin your carbine stock in place.

Kydex wrap is another popular option…

SuperSet
10-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Don't forget the Solar Tactical grip that slides right over your existing pistol grip. When you cross state lines, it's easy to slip off too so you're able to use your existing fixed stock and same grip angle.

mike_the_wino
10-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Hammerhead it is!

Exile Machine
10-08-2012, 1:07 PM
Hammerhead it is!

Excellent choice!

As pointed out before you do not lose a cheek weld with the Hammerhead. It's also the least expensive featureless option by far, and comes in all the colors of the Magpul Rainbow (FDE, OD Green, Foliage Green and even a close match to LaRue's Urban Dark Earth). Hammerhead's the only featureless compliance part to come in those popular colors. This month you can even get a FREE PMAG rebuild kit with your purchase!
(http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=602775)
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/images/exm1/IMG_3908.JPG
(stock pinned for CA compliance)

calixt0
10-08-2012, 1:09 PM
I went with the Hammerhead...

How do you lose a cheek weld?? You don’t have to re-locate the stock, it’s optional.

All I did was used a fixed stock in the regular place and add the grip… Another option is to just pin your carbine stock in place.

Kydex wrap is another popular option…

anyone have advice on how to pin a collapsible stock

mike_the_wino
10-08-2012, 2:15 PM
Done and done.

Now hows come you make the hammerhead in all those funny colors? Its a black rifle.

Squidward
10-08-2012, 2:32 PM
anyone have advice on how to pin a collapsible stock

I drilled a small pilot hole in the underside of my collapsible stock and put in a small, black pan head screw through both parts.

tomd1584
10-08-2012, 3:04 PM
I found the Monsterman to be uncomfortable, ended up going with Kydex. YMMV

IPSICK
10-08-2012, 3:26 PM
I found the Monsterman to be uncomfortable, ended up going with Kydex. YMMV

Same with the Hammer Head and also went to Kydex wrap.

Paradiddle
10-08-2012, 3:28 PM
I run an U-15 and love it. When I put mine together Monsterman was the only other grip alternative - it's also great, but I much prefer the U15.

CSACANNONEER
10-08-2012, 4:13 PM
I have had MMGs since they fiet came out. I also have grip wraps and a couple U15 stocks. The U15 is rhe best. I've never played with a hammerhead so, I can't comment on it.

Kempfer
10-08-2012, 4:18 PM
Done and done.

Now hows come you make the hammerhead in all those funny colors? Its a black rifle.

Remember to get a pic/video of you running that badboy and put it in the AR thread. :)

stix213
10-08-2012, 4:51 PM
I like both the hammerhead and the solar tactical wrap. The grip wrap is only available in black last I checked, which is a disadvantage, but as an advantage is compatible with more stock lengths and configurations, but you may want to fill in any extra gaps for certain non-standard stocks with some extra plastic.

Full Clip
10-08-2012, 4:54 PM
I went with the MMs on both ARs and both AKs. Work for me and about as comfortable as any Monte Carlo stock.

EBR Works
10-08-2012, 5:14 PM
I have personally tried the MMG on AK and AR builds and much prefer the Solar wrap solution. That being said, I just completed an AR with a Hammerhead and it is the closest thing to pistol grip functionality that I have found, although an ambi safety is a must. Really great balance and cheek weld in Exile's type 1 configuration, although I'm considering type 2.

sl4ck3r
10-08-2012, 7:14 PM
i prefer a regular grip with a solar tactical wrap. its wonderful :)

vintagearms
10-08-2012, 7:21 PM
Had the Solar tactical- sold it. Had the MM.- sold it. I have the Hammerhead and it is the most comfortable. I was lucky enough to score one of he ones with foam/rubber grip.

EBR Works
10-08-2012, 7:37 PM
I was lucky enough to score one of he ones with foam/rubber grip.

Got pics?

Exile Machine
10-09-2012, 8:38 AM
Got pics?

We did some prototype rubber overmold covers for the HH02 grip. Turned out to be waaaay too expensive to mass produce so we sold off the protoypes.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/images/HH02_OVERMOLD.JPG

EBR Works
10-09-2012, 9:07 AM
We did some prototype rubber overmold covers for the HH02 grip. Turned out to be waaaay too expensive to mass produce so we sold off the protoypes.

Thanks.

mike_the_wino
10-09-2012, 9:11 AM
Remember to get a pic/video of you running that badboy and put it in the AR thread. :)
As a Pier One operator I keep my highspeed on the DL for opsec purposes, so no pics.

calixt0
10-09-2012, 9:13 AM
so we sold off the protoypes.

I like the way that looks.. wish I had known.

lawaia
10-09-2012, 10:11 AM
As a Pier One operator I keep my highspeed on the DL for opsec purposes, so no pics.

You work at Pier One? Man, that is high speed! My wife loves that place!:)

bigdawg86
10-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Would it be possible to have a hammerhead grip with a contoured rear instead of the plugs? I know it's purely aesthetics, and you would lose the option of mounting the stock to the handle, but I think it would be a nice option.

EDIT: or even a contoured/finished endplate that plugs into the existing grip so the grip has a more finished look.

Exile Machine
10-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Would it be possible to have a hammerhead grip with a contoured rear instead of the plugs? I know it's purely aesthetics, and you would lose the option of mounting the stock to the handle, but I think it would be a nice option.

EDIT: or even a contoured/finished endplate that plugs into the existing grip so the grip has a more finished look.

You can always pick up one of our blemished units (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/exile-machine-hammerhead-ar-15-grip-blemished-285.html) and take a hacksaw to it, to make it exactly what you want:

http://www.exilemachine.net/images/customer_photos/CP011.JPG

We call this the "stubby" mod. You have to be careful not to cut off too much or you impact the legality of the grip.

wsmc27
10-09-2012, 9:39 PM
I like both the hammerhead and the solar tactical wrap. The grip wrap is only available in black last I checked, which is a disadvantage, but as an advantage is compatible with more stock lengths and configurations, but you may want to fill in any extra gaps for certain non-standard stocks with some extra plastic.

Agreed with those choices.

*Exile is also great to deal with on other goodies too. Very happy customer.

Had bought a MM but it just wasn't "right" in my hands.

imo, people looking into featureless should get a hold of as many types of these as possible to see what feels good, ya?

I got over the black only look earlier this year and finally just spray painted stuff, incl the grips. No one seems to see it anyway when we're using the rifles. ;)