PDA

View Full Version : .732 barrel OD AR?

C.W.M.V.
10-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Hello all.
Recently purchased a .62x39 Upper from a calgunner and before I started buying stuff like a new gas block I decided to check the barrel outer diameter.
Came out to .732. Barrel is marked Citadel 7.62x39.
Is that normal...or not? Everything I see for gas blocks is .625,.750 and .93x.
Pics of the barrel/gas block:
http://imageshack.us/a/img402/9928/imag0147py.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img203/1687/imag0148ps.jpg

Dead*Reckoned
10-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Did you take the gas block off and measure that too? Your barrel might have a step to a different diameter. Just my guess someone might have a better idear

C.W.M.V.
10-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Well just removed the gas tue to find that the port underneath it was facing the 2 oclock position under the gas block. Glad I didnt shoot it.
Also found that the barrel has nearly a quarter turn of travel underneath the free float barrel nut, and the gas tube is pinched very slightly.
But yes it was raised under the gas block.

EDIT:Well to top it all off the barrel extension was loose and never pinned into place.

So in summation:
Gas block was BADLY misaligned.
Barrel extension was never torqued down or pinned into place. barrel began spinning off as soon as the gas tube was removed.
At least I didn't shoot it.

ar15barrels
10-08-2012, 8:46 PM
Well to top it all off the barrel extension was loose and never pinned into place.

So in summation:
Gas block was BADLY misaligned.
Barrel extension was never torqued down or pinned into place. barrel began spinning off as soon as the gas tube was removed.
At least I didn't shoot it.

Send that crap back.
No excuse for not torquing the barrel extension on before setting the gas port location.
There's also no easy fix for it either...

Oh, and on factory barrels, the indexing pin does not extend into the barrel.
It only presses into the barrel extension.

C.W.M.V.
10-08-2012, 9:05 PM
Ah I didnt realize that. Thanks for the clarification.
Im working with the seller-a calgunner-to make this right. I'm sure it will all turn out.
Until then, got a source for 16 inch 7.62x39 barrels?

klewan
10-09-2012, 2:27 PM
Are you dead set on the AK round? There's another thread in the last month about breaking bolts because the bolt face has to be opened up. That weakens the bolt, so the fix is a $150 bolt that has some kind of better material or heat treatment, not sure which.

baih777
10-09-2012, 4:07 PM
i would first try and get your money back. there is no excuse to sell a upper in that condition without letting the person know.

the only bolt recommended is from ar15 perforamnce. they have been out of stock for awhile.
http://www.ar15performance.com/bolts__carriers_and_parts

i myself just bought another AK. :)

C.W.M.V.
10-09-2012, 7:30 PM
Are you dead set on the AK round? There's another thread in the last month about breaking bolts because the bolt face has to be opened up. That weakens the bolt, so the fix is a $150 bolt that has some kind of better material or heat treatment, not sure which.

Yep! Yuo speak of the LMT bolt, performs as well if not better than the AR performance, and guess who has one...and probably another in the near future.
As to being stuck on x39, yes I am. The 5.56 is insufficient, period. Nothing else is commonly commercially available.

I am trying to return the barrel, but like I said bought from a calguner, so we shall see what happens. Regardless I need a new barrel.

Looking at ESS Solutions barrels. Any word on these?

EDIT: Yes, and word is they are crap.
Just bought a scout profile barrel from AR performance.
Also got a bolt with it. Apparently they wont sell the superbolt by themselves, but you can get one with a barrel purchase.