PDA

View Full Version : GO/No-Go Gauges for AR Platform, Which

EasyCompany
10-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Looking to gauge (GO, No-Go) for 5.56 and I have found are Clymer, Forrester, and PTG makers.
Which ones do you guys reccommend, maybe there is no difference, maybe there is a clear leader - any advice is really appreciated.
Thanks

joelogic
10-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Did you buy a complete upper? Why gauge it?

They are probably all the same but ptg is the standard.

EasyCompany
10-08-2012, 1:10 PM
Did you buy a complete upper? Why gauge it?

They are probably all the same but ptg is the standard.

Yes, I bought a complete lower. A Palmetto 16" heavy barrel mid-length flat-top. Everything but the bolt and charging handle.

I figured I had to headspace the Bravo Company bolt I ordered yesterday to complete it. A gunsmith I ran into atcthe range mentioned that I should "always" headspace when adding a new bolt to a reciever.

Intimid8tor
10-08-2012, 1:13 PM
If the barrel is mounted in the barrel extension it should be headspaced already. I could be mistaken, but I don't think you need to headspace it to just swap the bolt

EasyCompany
10-08-2012, 1:37 PM
If the barrel is mounted in the barrel extension it should be headspaced already. I could be mistaken, but I don't think you need to headspace it to just swap the bolt

That makes sense to me. I actually have a call into Palmetto but they have not returned it yet.

The wording on the website under the upper I bought says:

"Each upper is assembled to order with US-made parts, and test fired to check gas function. Does not include bolt carrier group or charging handle."

That make sme think it is good to go but I want to be sure before pulling the trigger.

maxmonster
10-08-2012, 1:39 PM
If barrel is to spec and bolt is to spec then there is no need to headspace on AR platform. Only need to headspace when you use new bolt with used barrel or vice-versa is what I read.

Bug Splat
10-08-2012, 1:47 PM
Its good to go. They measure it when they put on the barrel extension.

EasyCompany
10-08-2012, 2:26 PM
Well this is all good news. I do not mind buying the gauges, but that's $70 I could put towards ammo! Thanks.

kendog4570
10-08-2012, 8:30 PM
Looking to gauge (GO, No-Go) for 5.56 and I have found are Clymer, Forrester, and PTG makers.
Which ones do you guys reccommend, maybe there is no difference, maybe there is a clear leader - any advice is really appreciated.
Thanks

To answer your question, a guage is a guage, in other words they should all be the same. I the real world there is .010" from min to max chamber/guage for both .223 and 5.56. Both rounds fall between the min and max, set years ago when the round was standardized. Just different slices of the .010". The bottom line is, even though the .223 commercial field is .003" short of 5.56 field, the larger dimension is the same max length for both rounds.

ar15barrels
10-08-2012, 9:51 PM
To answer your question, a guage is a guage, in other words they should all be the same. I the real world there is .010" from min to max chamber/guage for both .223 and 5.56. Both rounds fall between the min and max, set years ago when the round was standardized. Just different slices of the .010". The bottom line is, even though the .223 commercial field is .003" short of 5.56 field, the larger dimension is the same max length for both rounds.

http://ar15barrels.com/data/headspace.pdf