PDA

View Full Version : What scope for 3-gun

New Shooter II
07-09-2007, 9:34 PM
Hey all I am building an AR-15 for three gun. I am looking for a basic, low cost scope or sight for 0-500 yards, mainly staying within 300 yards.

Any recomendations???????

randy
07-10-2007, 3:46 AM
It kind of depends what your budget is and are you shooting open or scoped?

The winningest scope in USPSA Tactical class is a Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 to 4 on a La Rue mount. Expect to spend $700 to $900 for that set up. In fact I'd bet the winningest scope in 3 gun is the Accupoint.

Trijicon TA-11 ACOG around $1100. Fixed power 3.5, good field of view, but the occluded eye takes a bit of practice. There are covers to make that easier. It's not perfect you can drop shots when shooting that way through a port. The best way to mount this scope is to mill the rail on your upper and mount it directly without using an add on mount. Some people use the iron site set up from JP.

The Meopta K Dot reticle 1 to 4 is around $750 to $850 plus a mount. This scope is selling well in 3 gun. It's farely new I think it came out in the last year or two. I'm going to try one in Oregon this weekend.

A scope that has placed well on many rifles is the Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5 to 5 power it's a shotgun scope around $70.00. Don't let the low price fool you it's has had a big following for quite some time. The reticle works very well for hold overs and hosing.

The Leupold stuff doesn't seem to have made much of an in roads to 3 gun. I'm not saying people don't use them but the shooters I've talked to most of them say they had it already and are using it not that they went out and bought one for 3 gun.

In the Tactical class some people use a higher power scope and run a JP iron site set up for close stuff.

In the open class they run a higher power scope and a red dot.

There are many threads on this subject on www.brianenos.com but this is most of it in a nut shell.

If your local club shoots mostly shoots 100 yards then you could get by with a red dot or iron sites.

You might PM TMC he's the big dog on this web site for 3 gun.

Good luck

bear308
07-10-2007, 7:34 AM
^ +1
listen to Randy, he's one of the biggest gear whores in SoCal 3gun. I have the simmons that was mentioned above and it works pretty damn well, but if you have the money look toward getting the accupoint.

New Shooter II
07-10-2007, 7:51 AM
Thanks Randy,

I think I will take a look at the Simmons to start.

Prc329
07-10-2007, 7:55 AM
I picked up a Millet DMS-1 in the attempt to put together a 3 gun rifle. It is o.k. but I do not think it tracks fast enough fo that type of work.

grywlfbg
07-10-2007, 2:19 PM
My preference is an EOTech or Aimpoint w/ a flip-mounted 2X or 3X magnifier (for 500 yards you may want a 4X).

You get a TRUE 1X for close-in both eyes open hosing or odd shooting positions and a magnified optic for distance.

But that's ~$1,000 for 3X (~$500 for 2X) so not exactly "low cost".

3GunFunShooter
07-11-2007, 9:44 AM
+1 on the Simmons Diamond Pro 1.5 x 5 Shotqun scope. That is what I run, and it works really good for the $. Got mine on sale for 49.99 so I bought 2.
They were highly recommended by Benny Hill at the time. Have had mine for 2 years and no problems. Just my shooting skills.
+ 1 on www.brianenos.com. Best source for 3 gun gear and information.
Meopta is also becoming popular.

maxicon
07-11-2007, 12:01 PM
I've heard some people like the Weaver V3 1-3x20 as an mid-price scope - it runs around $150.

The main complaint I've heard about the Simmons is the 1.5x. Some people can shoot that with both eyes open (I have a 2x pistol scope that works OK for me with both eyes open), but some prefer a true 1x.

Hard to go wrong at that price, though, even if it's just to find out what you like.

gose
07-11-2007, 12:10 PM
I tried a few different ones, but settled for the Meopta K-Dot and I'm very pleased with it.
Everything mentioned here will serve you just fine, it's more a matter of personal preference in terms of reticles, illumination and so on.
If you try the ones mentioned here Im sure you'll find something that fits you.

3GunFunShooter
07-11-2007, 1:07 PM
Ok, here is the new hot ticket in 3 gun scopes. Trying to keep it quiet, but I'm such a good guy. I have one on order, and so do several 3 gun shooters I know, yes we all run the Simmons. So far it looks like a great set up.
First reviews are good, as with price. Could be the HOLY GRAIL of 3 gun scopes. Check it out. Can't wait to get mine.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=315758
You can thank me later.

Prc329
07-11-2007, 1:18 PM
That scope looks like it is basically the Millet DMS-1 with a custom reticule.

3GunFunShooter
07-11-2007, 2:10 PM
Prc329;
Your right about it looking like the Millet. I like it due to the reticule,
BDC, and luminated. And the price is right. Just have to spend the extra for
the LaRue mount. With 3 gun it's always something to spend your $$ on.
It's not that you shoot good, it's that you look good shooting.
If I was serious about my shooting, I would not be called 3GunFunShooter.

New Shooter II
07-11-2007, 7:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I think that I will try to find the Simmons 1.5-5 locally in the LA/OC area. I just want to start shooting 3-gun then decide what else I need.

3GunFunShooter
07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Good choice New Shooter II.
You won't be spending a lot of money at first, and just get out there and shoot, and have a good time.
You are really going to like 3 gun shooting.

New Shooter II
07-12-2007, 7:03 PM
Where can I find the Simmons 1.5-5 locally in the LA/OC area? Every where I call, they do not have them!!!

randy
07-16-2007, 7:14 PM
try www.cdnninvestments.com

randy
07-16-2007, 7:14 PM
I shot the Meopta scope after the macth in Oregon this weekend and it's my next scope.

aznglocker
07-16-2007, 11:27 PM
The Simmons model 7791D 1.5-5x20 scope has been discontinued. Ever since Benny Hill says he uses one on his rifle everyone started buying them up. They do have another model similar but the field of view is not as large.

PLINK
07-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Ok, here is the new hot ticket in 3 gun scopes. Trying to keep it quiet, but I'm such a good guy. I have one on order, and so do several 3 gun shooters I know, yes we all run the Simmons. So far it looks like a great set up.
First reviews are good, as with price. Could be the HOLY GRAIL of 3 gun scopes. Check it out. Can't wait to get mine.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=315758
You can thank me later.

Can you post a review of this optic when you get it, especially after shooting some IPSC targets with it.

I am currently looking into scopes for 3 gun and this one seems very interesting. I like the ranging features which some of the other favorites do not have. The Trijicon http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=104&back_row=0&categoryID=5 was my first choice but I may have to wait and see how this one pans out.

TIA

randy
07-18-2007, 2:26 AM
On the Meopta it is a true 1x and the reticle isn't busy. It looked clear and the reticle was small enough and very crisp. With a little work it will work good for hold overs and not cover up your target. It shuts off between power settings and goes to black if turned off or your batteries die. About the same size as an Accupoint.

The one I shot was mounted in a PRI mount which doesn't seem as sturdy as the LaRue I'm using now, but it does look to mount the scope lower and I'm not using my mount to jack up cars.

I won a $250. certificate for the purchase of a Scope so that makes it a little easier to decide. I'll test one a bit more before I decide.

Good luck

gose
07-18-2007, 7:49 AM
On the Meopta it is a true 1x and the reticle isn't busy. It looked clear and the reticle was small enough and very crisp. With a little work it will work good for hold overs and not cover up your target. It shuts off between power settings and goes to black if turned off or your batteries die. About the same size as an Accupoint.
The one I shot was mounted in a PRI mount which doesn't seem as sturdy as the LaRue I'm using now, but it does look to mount the scope lower and I'm not using my mount to jack up cars.
I won a $250. certificate for the purchase of a Scope so that makes it a little easier to decide. I'll test one a bit more before I decide.
Good luck

I'm using an Armalite mount for my Meopta, been treating me good so far :)

1911jerry
07-21-2007, 5:42 PM
The Simmons model 7791D 1.5-5x20 scope has been discontinued. Ever since Benny Hill says he uses one on his rifle everyone started buying them up. They do have another model similar but the field of view is not as large.

Benny is now using the Meopta K-Dot. I was at his shop specing out my AR 15 this Friday. I asked to see his AR, That scope is awesome.

JS

Prc329
07-21-2007, 8:23 PM
After using the scope today at the fruit shoot I think the Millet would make a good 3 gun scope.

PLINK
07-25-2007, 8:47 PM
I am pretty new to using optics but how do you range with the Meopta K-Dot for 3 gun?

Say you set your zero for 100 yards, what do you do for the stuff that is closer or farther away? Other optics have multiple markings on the reticle.

randy
07-26-2007, 4:21 AM
I haven't gotten to use the Meopta at distance yet just a hoser stage. I mailed my check away yesterday so I should have mine in a couple of weeks.

The Meopta has a circle and a fine line just below it to use for ranging.

With a 100 yard zero you will be low on targets at 200 yards maybe a couple of inches, at 300 yards maybe 6 inches low or even more. So I wouldn't zero my rifle at 100 for 3 gun, I'd zero it at 200 to 250 yds. With a 200 yard zero you'll be an inch to 2 inches high at 100 yards and at 300 yards you'll be 3 inches or so low.

It's 5:15 am the above info could be tainted a bit.

With my Accupoint on a 17" MSTN using 75 grain ammo and a 200 yd zero I hold center from 40 yards to 200 yards and make hits. Remember you'll be shooting steel past 50 yards. At 300 yards hold at the top of the target, at 400 yards I'd put the bottom of the triangle on top of the target and it would hit. The problem with the Accupoint or added difficulty was the big post on the bottom of the triangle would cover up your target so you had to take a bit longer.

In side of 40 yards I put the top of the triangle at the top of a IPSC a/b zone and drop into the "B" zone and I haven't hit any no shoots. With a practice you figure out how much above the A/B zone you can hold and make A zone hits.

I'm hoping the Meopta will work better. If not then back to the Accupoint and sell the Meopta.

Good luck

ShooterMcGavin
08-06-2007, 10:45 PM
I've been using a Leupold CQT MK IV 1-3x scope for 3-gun for the past few years. It's great at 1x for close range shooting, and dials quickly up to 3x for long range shots.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-cqt-riflescopes/

randy
08-07-2007, 2:42 AM
Plink

I just started working with my Meopta. It is zeroed at 50 yards which should give me a 200 yd zero. I shot it at 300 yards and it was 6 inches low.

I know it sounds weird but I can shoot 50 100 300 or 560 yards but not 200 or 400 and the 560 is only once in a while.

I have alot of work to do still. I'm going to another range to get more data. My hope is to use the dot to 200 and the line for targets farther but I'm not sure yet.

Work will keep me away from doing more testing before the CA series in Bakersfield.

New Shooter II
09-04-2007, 8:53 PM
I am still looking for the Simmons 7791 in the LA/OC/IE areas.

thanks,

gose
09-04-2007, 9:01 PM
Plink

I just started working with my Meopta. It is zeroed at 50 yards which should give me a 200 yd zero. I shot it at 300 yards and it was 6 inches low.

I know it sounds weird but I can shoot 50 100 300 or 560 yards but not 200 or 400 and the 560 is only once in a while.

I have alot of work to do still. I'm going to another range to get more data. My hope is to use the dot to 200 and the line for targets farther but I'm not sure yet.

Work will keep me away from doing more testing before the CA series in Bakersfield.

+1 on that.

zeroed at 50y, back at zero at slightly over 200 and tops around 150y at a little over 1.5".

New Shooter II
09-06-2007, 8:19 AM
In the 1.5-5x20 or 1.5-5x32 scope, is the last number the length of the scope? What is the difference?

Don

mecam
09-06-2007, 12:02 PM
In the 1.5-5x20 or 1.5-5x32 scope, is the last number the length of the scope? What is the difference?

Don

Size of the objective lens

http://www.nafan.com/hosted/graphics/supplementary/how-to-riflescopes/rifle-diagram.gif