PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Private property to shoot >200 yards

JasonZBell
10-07-2012, 7:02 PM
I was not sure where to post this because I do not have access to posting in the Northern California section, but I am looking for someone with private property in Northern or Central CA that regularly shoots on their property and has the ability to shoot targets at a greater distance that 200 yards. Ideally somewhere between 0-400 yards.

If anyone has the ability to accommodate this, please privately PM me so we can chat. This is probably something that should be kept off the forums, but I do not know any other route to go and there are not many other options I can think of.

It would mainly be AR15 target practice that the local range cannot accommodate. I am getting bored of the 50 and 100 yard shooting and looking for other alternate options.

Thanks all,

Jason

SanPedroShooter
10-07-2012, 7:25 PM
Well you and me both brother....

Good luck.

Have you scoped out all the BLM land in your area? I can find +200 yard shooting on public land and I am smack in the middle of Hell-A. I gotta drive an hour, but its out there.

JasonZBell
10-07-2012, 7:29 PM
I watch all of these videos of guys having a good ole time on private property, shooting targets all day long and I just wish I had a place I could do the same. I live in the SF Bay Area and I would drive a couple hours if the opportunity presented itself to shoot out to say 300-500 yards and really challenge myself. Plus, I would love to try out a few tactical drills I have seen online that involve quite a bit of moving around, various shooting positions, rapid fire, etc. - All of which is a big no-no at the local ranges.

There must be someone out there!

Jason

mike_the_wino
10-07-2012, 7:30 PM
Circle S ranch outside of Petaluma has 50, 100, 200 and 300 yards.

Love that place. Always good peeps there.

CobraRed
10-07-2012, 7:45 PM
Circle S ranch outside of Petaluma has 50, 100, 200 and 300 yards.

Love that place. Always good peeps there.

My old stomping grounds!
Grew up in Petaluma. It's on the road to Tomales by the coast guard base.

You used to be able to find me there 1-2 times a week. They had a problem awhile back about lead and a stream that they were near, but it might only apply to the shotgun range.

To the OP, I feel ya man. It took me awhile, scoping out BLM 1-1.2 hours away from me with friends. Then those would get closed down due to people trashing it or just the fire hazzard season.

Finally met someone who's uncle built a formal covered range and have been shooting 100 and 550y like 1-3 times a month. Definitely start to notice ammo, though.

JasonZBell
10-07-2012, 8:02 PM
My old stomping grounds!
Grew up in Petaluma. It's on the road to Tomales by the coast guard base.

You used to be able to find me there 1-2 times a week. They had a problem awhile back about lead and a stream that they were near, but it might only apply to the shotgun range.

To the OP, I feel ya man. It took me awhile, scoping out BLM 1-1.2 hours away from me with friends. Then those would get closed down due to people trashing it or just the fire hazzard season.

Finally met someone who's uncle built a formal covered range and have been shooting 100 and 550y like 1-3 times a month. Definitely start to notice ammo, though.

Thank you very much for the information and it sounds like you found the perfect setup - in fact, pretty much exactly what I am looking for! I am more than happy to drive a couple hours if it allows me to shoot a bit more freely than at the typical 100 yard range.

Jason

Bug Splat
10-07-2012, 8:05 PM
Laguna Seca has Paper at 50, 100 and 200 yards and metal gongs at 300 and 500 yards.

Is there anything special you are looking to do that would require private land? Your best bet would be BLM land (Panoche Hills). Takes some looking around but you can find spots out to 1000 yards. finding 500 yard spots would be easy to find.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/recreation/panoche.html

JasonZBell
10-07-2012, 8:12 PM
Laguna Seca has Paper at 50, 100 and 200 yards and metal gongs at 300 and 500 yards.

Is there anything special you are looking to do that would require private land? Your best bet would be BLM land (Panoche Hills). Takes some looking around but you can find spots out to 1000 yards. finding 500 yard spots would be easy to find.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/recreation/panoche.html

I can't say there is anything super special I am looking to do except for the following that isn't allowed at my local (Livermore) range.

- Shoot past 100 yards
- Shoot from various positions and not just off the bench
- Rapid fire if wanted

When I mentioned private property, I just assumed that it would be easier to do these sorts of things on property like that. I used to have a buddy with land that would allow us to do this and that is what I miss.

I will definitely check out Panoche so thank you for the heads up, I appreciate it greatly.

Jason

ElDub1950
10-07-2012, 8:31 PM
Sac Valley has 300 yard public range and up 1000 yard range for members. http://www.sacvalley.org/images/range_map_large.jpg

roushstage2
10-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I was just going to say, Sac Valley is ~2 hours away and offers quite a bit. If you get together with a member that has access to the longer ranges, you can shoot there too even as a guest if they go with you.

6mmintl
10-08-2012, 4:38 AM
We just finished a Semi-auto silhouette rifle match at Sac valley last month.

We shoot military rifle silhouette (prone off rest) 3rd Saturdays of every month

Sacramento Valley Shooting Center Military Rifle Silhouette
Sign-In: 8:00a.m. - 8:30a.m. The match will begin at 9:00a.m. Safety Brief: 8:30a.m. Eye and ear protection is required on the firing line. Use of chamber flags is required. Flags will be available for $1.00 each. Flags will be inserted during all cease fires, and when rifles are removed from the firing line. Rifles must be carried muzzle up when being moved.
Course of Fire, Total shots for record is 40. (Bring at least 20 more for sighters and shoot offs).
• Prone 200 meters 10 rounds (chickens)
• Prone 300 meters 10 rounds (pigs)
• Prone 385 meters 10 rounds (turkeys)
• Prone 500 meters 10 rounds (rams)
Equipment:
• Slings, shooting jackets and shooting pads can be used.
• Bipods, monopods, tripods, etc. cannot be used.
• Front support such as bedroll, sand bag, duffle bag or similar rest can be used. No rear support (other than your hand) is allowed.
Time Limits for Each Stage: 10 minutes - The time limit is for "sighters" and all shots for record. Once the "record run" has begun there will be no more sighters.
Rifles: Any stock bolt action or semi-automatic military type rifle. M1-Garand, FN49, Hakim, Ljungman, SKS, AK, etc. type rifles with military stock sights. Slip on re-coil pads or stock extenders are allowed.
Ammunition: Match grade bullets are required. AP, FMJ's, Incendiary, steel jacket/core, magnum’s and Tracers are not allowed. Ammo will be checked. Rifles must be at least 6mm caliber and larger. All ammunition has a speed limit of no more than 3000fps.
Cost/Awards: $20 (which includes the $7 range fee) - Awards will be paid from the entry fees. There will be one prize for every three competitors in a class. The overall winner award will be paid to the overall winner with as issued type rifle. There must be at least 3 shooters in a rifle class for award to be paid
Classes: are based on rifle type.
• Military rifle B, A, AA, AAA, Master.
• Open Class scoped or match sighted rifles.
• Bench Class, any military rifle scoped or iron sighted shot off bench.
Open Class: Rifles that do not have stock open sights, i.e. M1-Garand with Alley aperture sights, national match rifles, or rifles with any type of optic.
Target Setting/Re-setting: You are responsible for re-setting what you knock down. Targets will be fully placed on the designated pads. Rams will be “soft-set”, 1” back on the pads.

JasonZBell
10-08-2012, 8:26 AM
We just finished a Semi-auto silhouette rifle match at Sac valley last month.

We shoot military rifle silhouette (prone off rest) 3rd Saturdays of every month

Sacramento Valley Shooting Center Military Rifle Silhouette
Sign-In: 8:00a.m. - 8:30a.m. The match will begin at 9:00a.m. Safety Brief: 8:30a.m. Eye and ear protection is required on the firing line. Use of chamber flags is required. Flags will be available for $1.00 each. Flags will be inserted during all cease fires, and when rifles are removed from the firing line. Rifles must be carried muzzle up when being moved.
Course of Fire, Total shots for record is 40. (Bring at least 20 more for sighters and shoot offs).
• Prone 200 meters 10 rounds (chickens)
• Prone 300 meters 10 rounds (pigs)
• Prone 385 meters 10 rounds (turkeys)
• Prone 500 meters 10 rounds (rams)
Equipment:
• Slings, shooting jackets and shooting pads can be used.
• Bipods, monopods, tripods, etc. cannot be used.
• Front support such as bedroll, sand bag, duffle bag or similar rest can be used. No rear support (other than your hand) is allowed.
Time Limits for Each Stage: 10 minutes - The time limit is for "sighters" and all shots for record. Once the "record run" has begun there will be no more sighters.
Rifles: Any stock bolt action or semi-automatic military type rifle. M1-Garand, FN49, Hakim, Ljungman, SKS, AK, etc. type rifles with military stock sights. Slip on re-coil pads or stock extenders are allowed.
Ammunition: Match grade bullets are required. AP, FMJ's, Incendiary, steel jacket/core, magnum’s and Tracers are not allowed. Ammo will be checked. Rifles must be at least 6mm caliber and larger. All ammunition has a speed limit of no more than 3000fps.
Cost/Awards: $20 (which includes the $7 range fee) - Awards will be paid from the entry fees. There will be one prize for every three competitors in a class. The overall winner award will be paid to the overall winner with as issued type rifle. There must be at least 3 shooters in a rifle class for award to be paid
Classes: are based on rifle type.
• Military rifle B, A, AA, AAA, Master.
• Open Class scoped or match sighted rifles.
• Bench Class, any military rifle scoped or iron sighted shot off bench.
Open Class: Rifles that do not have stock open sights, i.e. M1-Garand with Alley aperture sights, national match rifles, or rifles with any type of optic.
Target Setting/Re-setting: You are responsible for re-setting what you knock down. Targets will be fully placed on the designated pads. Rams will be “soft-set”, 1” back on the pads.

Wow, that sounds awesome and right along the lines of what I would love to take part in. Thank you! I will look it up now online.

Jason

Spyder
10-08-2012, 9:15 AM
OP, look at the Oroville range. It's in Oroville, CA, off of Rabe Road, near the airport.

The range goes out to almost 600 yards, is free, and there are nice concrete benches and a bathroom. You can shoot how and whatever you want out there, as long as you're doing it safely. There is no rangemaster and it's a "call clear and stick your hand in the air until everyone else does also" when you want to set up targets.

Get there early in the day and there are less yahoos. Clean up your crap, and be respectful.

I shoot there often, and have been for ten years.

timdps
10-08-2012, 9:50 AM
I can't say there is anything super special I am looking to do except for the following that isn't allowed at my local (Livermore) range.

- Shoot past 100 yards
- Shoot from various positions and not just off the bench
- Rapid fire if wanted

Jason

Circle S now requires rifles to shoot from the bench and rapid fire is not allowed.

Tim

gemini1
10-08-2012, 10:42 AM
To those going at Circle S. Do you need to move lanes if you want to say start at 100 yards then proceed to 200 or 300 yards? I like the way Sunnyvale Rod is set up, one lane for 25/50/100 yards.

jocww
10-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Theres several ranchs in Livermore that you can shoot at. I rent out my ranch from time to time for shoots.

JasonZBell
10-08-2012, 1:15 PM
Theres several ranchs in Livermore that you can shoot at. I rent out my ranch from time to time for shoots.

Thank you & I just sent you a PM.

Jason

smle-man
10-08-2012, 2:47 PM
For the folks shooting long distance on BLM land unless you have restricted access to your shooting lane out to your target be cautious that someone doesn't accidentally wander through your line of fire. 500 to 1,000 yds is a long way off and it can be easy to have someone be completely unaware that long range shooting is going until they stop a bullet. I've seen people accidentally end up on a long range rifle range and it scare the crap out of me. BLM land would be even easier. Stay safe.

CobraRed
10-08-2012, 3:36 PM
For the folks shooting long distance on BLM land unless you have restricted access to your shooting lane out to your target be cautious that someone doesn't accidentally wander through your line of fire. 500 to 1,000 yds is a long way off and it can be easy to have someone be completely unaware that long range shooting is going until they stop a bullet. I've seen people accidentally end up on a long range rifle range and it scare the crap out of me. BLM land would be even easier. Stay safe.

BLM laws dictate no shooting across common paths and trails, and set distances from residences and businesses.
Outside of that i've noticed it can be more dangerous shooting over a valley (like from crest to crest, maybe multiple valleys in between.)

Otherwise it just takes some awareness and patience, come up out of the scope every once in awhile.

JasonZBell
10-08-2012, 3:58 PM
I have never shot on BLM land, but it seems kind of scary on just how open it is to shooting at your own discretion. Putting rounds down range at 800+ yards would make it awfully difficult to see who could possibly be down there by your intended target! I sure hope everyone is VERY careful when they shoot in areas like this! It would make me a tad nervous personally.