PDA

View Full Version : Get another AR or ACR/SCAR?

mrvash
10-07-2012, 5:36 PM
Hey guys,

First off, I know the decision boils down to what I want, but I just wanted some opinions on what some of you may do.

I've been through three AR's, sold them all, and one AK, which I also sold. Now I'm looking into getting a more modern battle rifle such as an ACR or SCAR, or maybe build another AR? the rifle will have to be chambered in 5.56 and will be in the color black, and I have chosen to get an ACOG TA31 as the optic of choice.

If I were to go the AR route, it would be a mixture of a Yankee Hill complete Diamond upper in "14.5, pinned Phantom FH, paired with a Spike's lower with RRA FCG w/2-Stage NM trigger. Everything will have ambidextrous controls since I shoot left-handed.

Arkangel
10-07-2012, 6:18 PM
I would vote ACR or SCAR, if three AR's didn't do the trick, what are the chances No. 4 will?

mrvash
10-07-2012, 6:37 PM
I would vote ACR or SCAR, if three AR's didn't do the trick, what are the chances No. 4 will?

Yep, you're right. Which platform do you prefer? SCAR or ACR?

JeremyKX
10-07-2012, 6:42 PM
I would go with SCAR.

cfusionpm
10-07-2012, 6:42 PM
KTAlmHqvhWg

I plan on buying an ACR sometime in the future... If I can't get my hands on a Tavor.

SuperSet
10-07-2012, 6:45 PM
Ugh, First World Problems. :)

Rombot
10-07-2012, 6:47 PM
ACR! 😃

MXRider
10-07-2012, 6:53 PM
ACR! 😃

Really? Why waste your money on that piece of ****? They have numerous, well documented problems along with a hefty price tag and weight. If Remington ever pulls its head out of its *** and releases the military version with a 16" barrel and semi automatic, they would have a hit and I would change my mind.

The FNH Scar 16 is superior in every possible category to the ACR, and is a truly viable alternative to the AR platform.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

IEShooter
10-07-2012, 6:55 PM
I've been through three AR's, sold them all, and one AK, which I also sold.....

What is this "selling" of rifles that you speak of?? I'm not acquainted with the concept.

As my safes get full, I just buy another safe. Why in the heck would anyone ever sell a perfectly good gun?!?!?!?!?!? ;)

08GTCS
10-07-2012, 7:00 PM
I just shot my new SCAR 17S for the first time this afternoon and it was awesome. I had my DPMS Oracle .308 as well and I definitely liked and shot the SCAR better. The SCAR is lighter, you feel a lot less recoil when firing, and I was more accurate with it than my DPMS.

As for SCAR vs ACR, I really can't give an opinion. I've never even touched an ACR before.

mrvash
10-07-2012, 7:17 PM
What kind of issues was the ACR having?

Cadre
10-07-2012, 7:17 PM
Scar.

MXRider
10-07-2012, 7:26 PM
What kind of issues was the ACR having?

Quality control issues, broken forearms, 1/9 non Chrome lined barrel, 9 pound weight empty, no aftermarket parts support, no factory parts support, etc, etc.

The ACR is an inferior, overpriced weapon, and yes I have shot one as well as the Scar. So I'm not talking out my ***.

bender152
10-07-2012, 7:28 PM
I vote SACR

chozenfew805
10-07-2012, 7:37 PM
SCAR FTW!!!!!

Bug Guy
10-07-2012, 7:41 PM
I have both scar 16&17 and love them both......

thegrayham
10-07-2012, 7:48 PM
I've been through three AR's, sold them all, and one AK, which I also sold.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the AR's that you didn't like?

mrvash
10-07-2012, 7:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the AR's that you didn't like?

I love the AR platform, and I will eventually end up with another one. One thing I do not like about the AR is the lack of ambidextrous controls, but that isn't really a deal breaker for me since there are plenty of third party vendors catering to that market.

Truth be told, it's not that I didn't like the AR platform, it's just that I'm wanting something new, but still in semi-auto 5.56 that accepts M4/M16/AR magazines.

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the SCAR versus the ACR. I'm planning on buying it from Riflegear, are the modifications they're going to make on the rifle to make it CA compliant reversible?

MXRider
10-07-2012, 8:01 PM
The Scar is a wonderful rifle. It will serve you well, especially if you ever leave this state and decide to SBR and suppress it.

cabinetguy
10-07-2012, 8:08 PM
I would go scar, acr has too much bad press

cfusionpm
10-07-2012, 8:10 PM
I love the AR platform, and I will eventually end up with another one. One thing I do not like about the AR is the lack of ambidextrous controls, but that isn't really a deal breaker for me since there are plenty of third party vendors catering to that market.

Truth be told, it's not that I didn't like the AR platform, it's just that I'm wanting something new, but still in semi-auto 5.56 that accepts M4/M16/AR magazines.

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the SCAR versus the ACR. I'm planning on buying it from Riflegear, are the modifications they're going to make on the rifle to make it CA compliant reversible?

Are you left handed or have left-handed friends? I only ask because to me as a right-handed shooter, a gun's ambidexterity is an extremely low priority.

mrvash
10-07-2012, 8:11 PM
Are you left handed or have left-handed friends? I only ask because to me as a right-handed shooter, a gun's ambidexterity is an extremely low priority.

I'm a lefty and I do have some left-handed friends that shoot.

cfusionpm
10-07-2012, 8:21 PM
Well that makes perfect sense then!

Rombot
10-07-2012, 8:43 PM
Really? Why waste your money on that piece of ****? They have numerous, well documented problems along with a hefty price tag and weight. If Remington ever pulls its head out of its *** and releases the military version with a 16" barrel and semi automatic, they would have a hit and I would change my mind.

The FNH Scar 16 is superior in every possible category to the ACR, and is a truly viable alternative to the AR platform.

I own the SCAR 17 and 16 as well as an ACR. I've put a decent number of rounds through all of them and I just feel the handling characteristics of the ACR are much much better than the SCAR.

The controls on the ACR are all within fingers reach. Releasing the bolt on the SCAR requires you remove a hand to slap the bolt release or grabbing the charging handle itself. Just one example from me.

A lot of crap has been slung at the ACR, but it doesn't change my opinion on it.
That's my personal preference.

MXRider
10-07-2012, 8:49 PM
So the method of operation on the Scar is similar to the AR platform, I already new that (minus the charging handle). How about the other issues I addressed regarding the ACR. Also how many rounds do you have through each platform?

Also, thanks for weighing in. Not many have experience with both platforms.

Rombot
10-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Quality control issues, broken forearms, 1/9 non Chrome lined barrel, 9 pound weight empty, no aftermarket parts support, no factory parts support, etc, etc.

The ACR is an inferior, overpriced weapon, and yes I have shot one as well as the Scar. So I'm not talking out my ***.

Quality control has been stepped up on Bushmaster's part. I've read of some ACR owners sending in their rifles after warranty was up to have their rifle returned repaired and returned in a decent amount of time, something like 3 weeks.

I've not read anything of broken forearms.

1/9 is fine w/ me as I shoot 55gr the majority of the time. It's been quite reliable for other owners to shoot up to 65gr as well. It is melonite coated which I understand to hold up really well against chrome lined.

The weight can be an issue to some. It is obviously the one thing I like more on the SCAR, but then again as I said, overall the ACR still has won me over.

There is a small aftermarket developing for the ACR. On the ACR forums a company Argonauts Reinc has developed a 6.5 bolt, ambi sling mount, currently developing a new handguard as well as a few other things. Some are developing ambi charging handles, Marvin Pitts is doing a lot of barrel work for ACRs now. He's even made his own piston support to help w/ aftermarket barrels getting cut down to 10.5".

If you were to call Bushmaster right now (provided you have the parts numbers in hand, posted on ACRforum.com) you can order all the necessary barrel parts to make your own ACR barrel set. This goes hand in hand w/ the support from Marvin Pitts.

As far as pricing, the ACR has come to a price point on par if not cheaper than a SCAR 16. Deals can definitely be had if found in the right places.

For my round counts through each rifle, I'm into the 1500+ side of things. The SCAR a few hundred less probably lol.

jpm804
10-07-2012, 10:56 PM
I would take the scar, but that is just my personal preference.

I own both the ACR and SCAR.. they both are good rifles but I enjoy the weight of the SCAR much better and surpised how light the recoil ( probably mostly the compensator) is on the scar. I liked the scar so much I ended up picking up its big brother the Scar 17 last week... ( if you are thinking of SCAR ... I would almost suggest get the 17 if you know you will get another 5.56 AR in the future,,, that way you can have a 5.56/ .223 and 308/7.62 rifle)

The ACR defintely has more weight on it and I wouldn't mind it if I could swap out parts to make it a bit lighter but there is not many options at this time. I do like how the ACR has true ambi cotrols including bolt hold/release and how you can swap out the handguard for a moe style or tri rail if wanted.

Each has their own pro / cons ... i would just recommend seeing if you can fire both and see which one you like because you will have people who like the ACR ( which is fine) and people who like the SCAR ( which is fine also) ... but your the one who's going to be putting the ~2K+ for the rifle so ultimately which rifle you get I better hope "you" like it.

MrPlink
10-08-2012, 5:08 AM
Scar17, go big or go home :p

10-08-2012, 6:33 AM
ACR

HKchucksta
10-08-2012, 10:40 AM
SCAR all the way! I'd get one too if it wasn't way out of my price range. I'll keep my AR for now... :p

HKDoc
10-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Scar, it shoots very well and is extremely reliable. It's also very light and accurate.

johnking
10-08-2012, 6:34 PM
If you don't have the skill of the best, at least have the Tools that they used.
and the bests use SCAR :)

ExtremeX
10-08-2012, 6:40 PM
Ugh, First World Problems. :)

haha

BHPFan
10-08-2012, 7:17 PM
I would go with SCAR.

+1.

Those are harder to obtain. Though the same argument can be made about the ACR, but for my money, I'll go with the SCAR.

jpm804
10-08-2012, 7:36 PM
+1.

Those are harder to obtain. Though the same argument can be made about the ACR, but for my money, I'll go with the SCAR.

Actually SCAR's seem to be alot easier to get nowadays then earlier this year for sure when I was looking.

The SCAR 17 which was harder to get but it seems to becoming more available lately...

Also the ACR seems to be finally coming back in stock at online places...

NSR500
10-08-2012, 8:29 PM
I like the ACR better. I just despise the SCAR charging handle and clumsiness.

Rukus
10-08-2012, 9:30 PM
The thing about the SCAR is that it's loaded with free-state options. In CA you either need the maglock which eliminates the ambi release and a pinned stock or you add a goofy muzzle extension to retain the folding stock option. You could go featureless but then you still need to pin the stock and ditch the FSC...

Ruiner
10-08-2012, 9:35 PM
Scar17, go big or go home :p

^^That. :D

alfred1222
10-08-2012, 10:23 PM

I'm sorry but you're wrong. I have owned both, and sold the SCAR because it was an inferior weapon when compared to an ACR. I had more functionality issues and failures with my SCAR than any gun I've ever owned. The only thing that stops the ACR from getting huge in California is that no large distributor makes a Cali-legal version. Everything has to go through a secondary FFL for the bullet button. I vote ACR

MXRider
10-08-2012, 10:27 PM
What failures did you have with the Scar? From everything I have read, and from my personal experiences they are not inferior in any way and are incredible reliable.

alfred1222
10-08-2012, 10:35 PM
What failures did you have with the Scar? From everything I have read, and from my personal experiences they are not inferior in any way and are incredible reliable.

I had a lot of FTF's along with reliability issues when I shot in a very dusty and sandy environment. I consider my weapons as tools, and when i had to stop using one and move to a backup because my SCAR wasn't reliable, I consider that tool broken

MXRider
10-08-2012, 10:37 PM
I had a lot of FTF's along with reliability issues when I shot in a very dusty and sandy environment. I consider my weapons as tools, and when i had to stop using one and move to a backup because my SCAR wasn't reliable, I consider that tool broken

What did FNH have to say about it? Like I said, your experiences with this rifle are not typical and many hard use guys love the platform. Having said that anyone can make a lemon.

Hoop
10-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Many hard use guys hate the SCAR too.

TBH there aren't any 223 rifles that catch my eye 'more' than the AR. Maybe a G36 but I'm not spending silly amounts of money to build a wannabe one of those.

Ruiner
10-08-2012, 10:42 PM

That doesn't reflect the experiences of the vast majority of SCAR owners. Not doubting you, but your experience with it is atypical.

Ruiner
10-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Many hard use guys hate the SCAR too.

TBH there aren't any 223 rifles that catch my eye 'more' than the AR. Maybe a G36 but I'm not spending silly amounts of money to build a wannabe one of those.

Likewise, many hard use guys love the SCAR as well. Everyone has their preferences..

Baconator
10-08-2012, 11:03 PM
I miss my SCAR, wish I would have never sold it.

starsnuffer
10-09-2012, 9:12 AM
The only "hard use guys" that hate the SCAR are the ones that had to downgrade from the 416. The SCAR is a solid platform for its price point.

-W

m03
10-09-2012, 9:19 AM

That's pretty much the opposite of my experience, and the experience of most people I've talked to that have handled them.

Likewise, the ACR has been notorious for it's earlier issues (which may be fixed now judging by current talk).

Not everyones experience is the same, though.

ky2970
10-09-2012, 9:23 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the price difference... The SCAR 16s is around 250-300 more than an ACR. Even more if you go with the 17s. And if you're coming from 3 ARs, I wouldn't doubt you've had experience gripping the magazine when in the firing position. Doing that on a SCAR could be troublesome with the reciprocating charging handle. Also, the charging handle itself is often obstructed by optic mounts. There are aftermarket options available but that's just more money spent. The ACR's has a slight cant to avoid mounts and is ambidextrous at all times. The smooth action and flat recoil of the SCAR 16s is mostly in the hands of that PWS FSC556 not necessarily the rifle itself. In my opinion, one of the greatest downfalls of the SCAR is the buttstock... It does its job just fine but when it comes down to quality and options, the ACR's stock beats it hands down.

On the other hand, the ACR has that bolt release situated right in front of the trigger guard that functions similarly to a BAD lever but allows for ambidextrous usage. With the ACR, they're supposed to release kits that allow you to do a quick caliber change from 5.56 to 6.8 but that has yet to be seen... Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic that the Adaptive Combat Rifle has yet to fully prove the very function it was named after?

In the end, you really can't go wrong with either. The SCAR has a lot more time in regards to proving grounds but both are great systems.

EDIT: Let's not also forget that the ACR looks seriously badass too ;)

duc748bip
10-09-2012, 9:38 AM
SCAR!! but I had to experiment with several different optic and mount to "absolutely" sure it will clear my finger and the charging handle. I end up with Aimpoint M3 with ARMS #22M68 Cantilever riser mounted just forward of the rear sight.

Stickgunner
10-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Given those three options, I would get a quality AR. You can argue about wanting a "modern battle rifle", but it isn't like the US is winning its battles with a flintlock. I don't see throwing in YHM parts on a budget build and comparing it against a SCAR or ACR as apples to apples.

The above is all intended with the idea it is going to actually be heavily used. If the honest goal is to buy something just to have on hand, and maybe fire a few hundred rounds a year, it really doesn't matter what you pick, go with whatever you think looks best.

jpm804
10-16-2012, 3:08 AM
- New version of the SIG556 comes with the swiss stock which I believe does not allow for LOP.
- Sig556 uses standard AR15 mags, 551A1 uses different magazines.
- Riflegear should be able to ship it if all CA compliance features are installed before shipment.
- I believe shipping is free on orders $500+

762.DEFENSE
10-16-2012, 7:13 AM
SCAR!!

connorr931
10-16-2012, 9:53 AM
SCAR vs ACR is the new AR vs AK