PDA

View Full Version : do you get a hard time for hi-cap mags?

bsumoba
10-07-2012, 12:21 PM
do people get flack or harassment for high cap mags from LEO or range officers, etc?

i have no issues from my end so I'm comfortable bringing them, but i finally bought my own AK. My dad had numerous AKs in the mid-90's and we knew they were going to ban 10+ round magazines since it was going to be illegal eventually so i bought 6 magazines when i was 15 when my dad bought 12 magazines. i simply dont want to go through the harassment of "you're a kid, how did you acquire 10+ round magazines pre-2000 and you were only a teenager."

also, my mags have some bad rusting and want to buy a rebuild kit so i can replace the shell and of course, this goes back to the whole harrassment thing.

i should have kept my receipt....

tpc13
10-07-2012, 12:25 PM
No one cares who has high cap mags

mif_slim
10-07-2012, 12:32 PM
I owned a M&P 32rd mag back in 1986. ;)

chead
10-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Never even got the side-eye from anyone.

bob_e95482
10-07-2012, 12:40 PM
You cannot legally use a Hi-cap in a BB equipped rifle.

bsumoba
10-07-2012, 12:45 PM
You cannot legally use a Hi-cap in a BB equipped rifle.

forgive myself ignorance, but im fairly new to this so what is BB? Is that bullet button, because my AK will be equipped with one of those.

looking at the calgun flowchart, it looks like its legal....am i missing something here?

MadMax
10-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Never been harassed by anyone, I was shooting my M1A with my 20 round mags next to a cop and his M1A was having problems so I said you can use some of my mags to make sure it is not the magazine you are using and he wouldn't use any of my hi-caps.

Later he was like I don't care if people like you have there buddies bring hi caps over here it is criminals who do it that I am worried about. I then explained to him that I got the mags legally before 2000 and he didn't know about grandfathering mags in at all!

He was still cool about it though

Sent from my phone

Omega13device
10-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Bullet button + high capacity magazine = illegal assault weapon

Bullet button + 10 round or less magazine = good to go

Featureless + high capacity magazine = good to go

chead
10-07-2012, 12:48 PM
A person using standard capacity mags at the range is about priority 949158942039 on a local cop's list of things to care about.

CK_32
10-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Double post.

My apologies.

CK_32
10-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I have gotten flack for my 17 rounders at the range before... Old guys with nothing better to do complained to the range officer and made him talk to me.. He knew me and the story on them and told me just keep it to 10 because they were bi**hing about it..

Then they kept looking over at my station with a mad dog look.. People need to kind their own and just shoot..

But as for a rifle no because I don't use high caps in state due to not being legally allowed to.. But in free states obviously no one cares..

But I guess it all depends on who's at the range that day.

chead
10-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Jesus, that is frustrating. As if it's even the job of ROs to police people's mags.

BajaJames83
10-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Never been bothered just make sure no mag over 10 in any "assault weapon"

bsumoba
10-07-2012, 1:05 PM
ill probably get the sleeves to convert them to 10/30 mags. solartactical has these sleeves you can put in the mag. i have what i think are romanian ak mags so i hope these work in them.

an AK doesnt look right with a 10 round mag either...plus WTF...i bought these high cap mags and i STILL cant use them???

Vlad 11
10-07-2012, 1:08 PM
Never been bothered just make sure no mag over 10 in any "assault weapon"

Huh?? I think many people have "assault weapon"s that also have standard capacity magazines

m03
10-07-2012, 1:43 PM
ill probably get the sleeves to convert them to 10/30 mags. solartactical has these sleeves you can put in the mag. i have what i think are romanian ak mags so i hope these work in them.

an AK doesnt look right with a 10 round mag either...plus WTF...i bought these high cap mags and i STILL cant use them???

You can use them in a rifle that does not have any evil features.

Librarian
10-07-2012, 1:43 PM
Please also look at the sticky in this forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=475423

Librarian
10-07-2012, 1:45 PM

You are either LEO or you bought them before 2000, or you bought them as parts kits, right? See the OTHER sticky, the Magazine Q's link, below.

89 Vision
10-07-2012, 1:57 PM
Even though I have plenty standard capacity magazines, I usually only load about 5 to 10 rounds at a time anyway. I don't reload so loading a bunch of 30 rounders and going to town isn't the best idea for my wallet and ammo supply.

Bug Splat
10-07-2012, 2:08 PM
I never get any comments anymore about my 10+ mags. With all the pinned and blocked 30rd mags out there its just about impossible to tell whats what. Besides, no one cares including the police. Its a silly unenforceable law thats not worth their effort. Always obey the law and follow the rules but to answer your question, no one ever asks about 10+ rifle or pistol mags.

About 8-9 years ago I had an old retired cop who decided to give me grief at the range for having standard cap mags. He kept going on and on telling me I was committing a felony and that I could be arrested in one phone call by him. I calmly suggested he go back to the academy and learn the correct laws this time and flagged the RO to ask him to remove the man who was harassing me. Old guy tried telling the RO what an evil felon I was and the RO just told him to take a hike. The was the one and only time I was pressured about my mags.

glockman19
10-07-2012, 2:10 PM
Only from younger guys who don't have them.
It one of the benefits of being older.

Powerkraut
10-07-2012, 2:58 PM

You do know it's legal to own post-ban standard caps right?

CK_32
10-07-2012, 3:06 PM
You do know it's legal to own post-ban standard caps right?

Not this argument again...

ExtremeX
10-07-2012, 3:14 PM
forgive myself ignorance, but im fairly new to this so what is BB? Is that bullet button, because my AK will be equipped with one of those.

looking at the calgun flowchart, it looks like its legal....am i missing something here?

OP, if your AK is featured and requires a bullet button to stay compliant, you cannot use your high cap magazines. If you do you would be breaking the current assault weapons laws.

I suggest you study the flow chart again…

bsumoba
10-07-2012, 3:39 PM
looks like ill be buying some standard 10 mag ones and/or convert my mags to 10/30 with the mag block.

in any case, i cant wait for my 9 days are up.

ill post pics and range report as well.

Siberian23
10-07-2012, 3:43 PM
No one has ever said anything about me using my 25 or 50 rounders in my 10/22. Plus who didn't buy high cap 10/22 mags when they were 10 yrs old? I know I did! This was way back in 94' though so I don't know about you young fellas ; )

10-07-2012, 4:02 PM
No one cares who has high cap mags

Not true.

Jesus, that is frustrating. As if it's even the job of ROs to police people's mags.

I don't think it should be their job but the ROs at Lytle Creek, supposedly under the direction of the USFS ranger, do police pistol and rifle magazine capacity (RAWs excluded).

wash
10-07-2012, 4:22 PM
I bought a big box of pre-ban magazines in the parking lot at a gun show way back when.

I'm not sure what I have but I'm sure I don't have a receipt.

I'm not worried about it because in any prosecution for importing or manufacturing "large capacity magazines" the burden of proof lies upon the state so as long as I don't incriminate myself I will be fine.

Bhobbs
10-07-2012, 4:24 PM
I have been at the range twice when some LEOs showed up to check for AWs and hi caps. So yes, cops do care about hi caps.

OP, why convert your hi caps? Buy 10/30s and save your hi caps for some other time.

cfusionpm
10-07-2012, 4:31 PM
I bought a big box of pre-ban magazines in the parking lot at a gun show way back when.

I'm not worried about it because in any prosecution for importing or manufacturing "large capacity magazines" the burden of proof lies upon the state so as long as I don't incriminate myself I will be fine.

Might want to edit that first part of your post then. ;)

SuperSet
10-07-2012, 5:07 PM
I have been at the range twice when some LEOs showed up to check for AWs and hi caps. So yes, cops do care about hi caps.

OP, why convert your hi caps? Buy 10/30s and save your hi caps for some other time.

Which range and when? Not doubting your story but would like additional info to advise the members here to avoid that range.

Scratch705
10-07-2012, 5:13 PM
Which range and when? Not doubting your story but would like additional info to advise the members here to avoid that range.

only one i know of is lytle creek. cause last time i went for a calguns shoot there was DFG that did go through the line, and a sherrifs that drove through the parking lot.

Bhobbs
10-07-2012, 5:20 PM

only one i know of is lytle creek. cause last time i went for a calguns shoot there was DFG that did go through the line, and a sherrifs that drove through the parking lot.

Yep, it was Lytle.

9mmrevolver
10-07-2012, 5:23 PM
I got harrassed by a know it all kid saying all hicaps were illigal. He was 18. I told him really? I can show you the law when it was banned, that possesion is not regulated, and stores that sell rebuild kits to fix damaged prelaw mags. He shut his hole. Should have told him if he cut his hair he might be able to read it.

SuperSet
10-07-2012, 5:49 PM
Yep, it was Lytle.

Thank you for responding. That whole Lytle mess was documented pretty well in the Lytle thread last year? so at least, it's contained. If you followed that thread, it sounded like it was Lytle Mgmt and not the Forest Service who was doing the 'enforcing'.

wash
10-07-2012, 5:58 PM
There is nothing incriminating about buying a big box of pre-ban magazines in the parking lot of a gun show in 1993.

cfusionpm
10-07-2012, 6:19 PM
Well played. :)

morthrane
10-07-2012, 6:19 PM
looks like ill be buying some standard 10 mag ones and/or convert my mags to 10/30 with the mag block.

As others have noted, if you already have the standard mags, don't modify them... not like you can get new/additional ones in CA.

Look into featureless options like the monsterman grip or a grip wrap: might be cheaper than buying six or more new 10rnd or 10/30 converted mags, as many AKs only need that one change to become CA featureless (no flash hider, fixed stock, 30+" long, etc.).

wash
10-07-2012, 6:34 PM
I've got so many pre-ban magazines that I don't want to get mixed up by a 10-whatever so I use 10-10s in my bullet buttoned firearms.

On the other hand if I was going to pin a magazine for use in a non-detachable magazine firearm, using a pre-ban might relieve some of the permanence requirements imposed by the "large capacity magazine" ban.

GettoPhilosopher
10-07-2012, 7:12 PM

Hey, similar here! I've got an awesome grandpa who got me a random assortment of different kinds of mags before the ban. I've rebuilt some of them with PMag parts.

I've never gotten any flak for using them in my featureless ARs at the range or in the desert. I generally use the 20 rounders at the range, as they're less obvious than my windowed 30s. I keep the CA DOJ rebuild letter in my range bag just in case. *shrugs*

bsumoba
10-07-2012, 7:32 PM
i just picked up a few 10 rd mags for legality-sake.

not to get off track, but more like a tangent, i think my AK has a flash/hider...can anyone tell me if a RAZR™ AK Muzzle Brake is considered an "evil" feature? If not, then all I will need is a grip wrap and i can use my 30rd mags. :)

wash
10-07-2012, 7:37 PM
If it is marketed as a flash hider, it is a flash hider.

If it is marketed as a muzzle brake and not a flash hider, it is a muzzle brake and not an "assault weapon" feature.

pyromensch
10-07-2012, 9:21 PM

yes you are.

yeah, i have had my ar since 78, it's registered, and i just show them a copy of the receipt.

evidens83
10-07-2012, 9:29 PM
I love how everybody bought mags while they were kids because they knew the AWB was gonna take place...;)

Anyways, especially nowadays with the popularity of AKs and ARs, plenty of people use their standard capacity magazines(featureless hopefully). But watch out, theres always that one guy that will watch you and count off how many rounds you popped off and then runs onto CG to b!tch about it...

bob_e95482
10-07-2012, 9:46 PM
Not true.

I don't think it should be their job but the ROs at Lytle Creek, supposedly under the direction of the USFS ranger, do police pistol and rifle magazine capacity (RAWs excluded).

I have 15 rd mags for the CZ75 I bought before the ban. It's legal to use them in that weapon.

MrPlink
10-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Ive got a fair variety of "hi caps" and have never had any issues at any bay area range.

most of my 10rd mags are blocked, no issues there either

orangeusa
10-07-2012, 11:01 PM
most of my 10rd mags are blocked, no issues there either

So you made 5 rounders out of them? lolz

In honor of this thread, I had to fix some of my Saiga mags.

You know what's strange, when I was in Texas visiting my Dad, LGS owner said he knew a guy who had a RO call the local police because a guy had 'hi-cap' mags.
I am still confused as to what he was talking about.

zfields
10-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Never had an issue with 30 round AK mags, or 17/19 round CZ mags.

Bobby Ricigliano
10-07-2012, 11:14 PM
do people get flack or harassment for high cap mags from LEO or range officers, etc?

i have no issues from my end so I'm comfortable bringing them, but i finally bought my own AK. My dad had numerous AKs in the mid-90's and we knew they were going to ban 10+ round magazines since it was going to be illegal eventually so i bought 6 magazines when i was 15 when my dad bought 12 magazines. i simply dont want to go through the harassment of "you're a kid, how did you acquire 10+ round magazines pre-2000 and you were only a teenager."

also, my mags have some bad rusting and want to buy a rebuild kit so i can replace the shell and of course, this goes back to the whole harrassment thing.

I am a LEO and I regularly shoot at public ranges in addition to the LE range. I do not concern myself with how many rounds the guy next to me has in his magazine.

I simply presume that the people around me at the range are aware of current gun laws and have legally configured weapons and legally obtained magazines. Maybe he is LEO. Maybe it is a RAW. Maybe it is a featureless build. Either way, I'm not going to bother them.

NeoGeo630
10-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Just heard a true story this past week. Without going into any details, it involved a SoCal lgs, a 21 yr old kid and off duty officer shooting at a range, and ended up with the kid in handcuffs being charged with felony possession of hi cap pistol mags.

So I guess that answers the question of do LE care. Definitely makes me think twice.

Flogger23m
10-07-2012, 11:16 PM

Do the following:

1) Get a featureless AK. Use your high caps.

2) If you stick with a BB AK, keep your high caps and get 10/30s.

GettoPhilosopher
10-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Just heard a true story this past week. Without going into any details, it involved a SoCal lgs, a 21 yr old kid and off duty officer shooting at a range, and ended up with the kid in handcuffs being charged with felony possession of hi cap pistol mags.

So I guess that answers the question of do LE care. Definitely makes me think twice.

There is no such thing as felony possession of a Large Capacity Magazine. It's not a crime.

So...yeah....I call :fud:

LAKings22
10-08-2012, 1:10 AM
I've seen people using hi cap mags on Rifles with BB many times, it's not legal but never heard or saw anyone give them a problem. I only take my 10/30 mags. Keep it legal, have fun and avoid any LEO, range officer problems.

Besides ammo is expensive 10 round mags @ the range are more cash friendly.

NeoGeo630
10-08-2012, 5:17 AM
There is no such thing as felony possession of a Large Capacity Magazine. It's not a crime.

So...yeah....I call :fud:

Even for a 21 yr old who couldn't have possibly owned the hi cap mags legally? What if the kid stupidly admitted he took possession of the mags say two weeks prior from a lgs? The charge could have been something different, I did get the info second hand. But I know for a fact the lgs involved got questioned by the police because the kid told them he got the hi caps from there. Now that particular lgs no longer will deal with hi caps with transfers.

Sniper3142
10-08-2012, 6:06 AM
Even for a 21 yr old who couldn't have possibly owned the hi cap mags legally? What if the kid stupidly admitted he took possession of the mags say two weeks prior from a lgs? The charge could have been something different, I did get the info second hand. But I know for a fact the lgs involved got questioned by the police because the kid told them he got the hi caps from there. Now that particular lgs no longer will deal with hi caps with transfers.

The part in bold is wrong.

A persone who's now 21 could have owned LCMs back in 1999 since there was no age limit on owning magazines. You didn't have to be 21 to own the magazines.

kel-tec-innovations
10-08-2012, 6:13 AM
YES. Hour of harassment and threat of arrest and confiscation of magazine and weapon. Uneducated LEO, but willing to listen, if I got stuck with a jerk LEO i'm above the law type I'd probably be dead or badly beaten in the desert. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=523910

10-08-2012, 6:22 AM
I have 15 rd mags for the CZ75 I bought before the ban. It's legal to use them in that weapon.

I was not referring to possession/usage outside of my experience with Lytle Creek range. According to a couple of ROs and the manager, they do not allow >10 round magazines in anything other than a RAW.

NeoGeo630
10-08-2012, 6:29 AM

A persone who's now 21 could have owned LCMs back in 1999 since there was no age limit on owning magazines. You didn't have to be 21 to own the magazines.

I did not know that. Not that I need to worry about that since I'm an old ***. Good info to keep in mind if/when some of these youngsters gets questioned by LE.

10-08-2012, 6:32 AM
Good info to keep in mind if/when some of these youngsters gets questioned by LE.

Keeping one's mouth shut goes a long way. :laugh:

spetsnaz
10-08-2012, 6:45 AM
if no one knows what you have than whats the problem? also ive noticed that magazines more than 10 rds work way better than the ca approved mags. those large cap mags function 100% realible.

Never Convicted
10-08-2012, 7:11 AM
"Just heard a true story this past week. Without going into any details, it involved a SoCal lgs, a 21 yr old kid and off duty officer shooting at a range, and ended up with the kid in handcuffs being charged with felony possession of hi cap pistol mags."

Where ? Source ? Link ?

tuolumnejim
10-08-2012, 7:33 AM

For us older over fifty acronym deficient types what the hell is a "lgs"? :cool:

m1a1driver
10-08-2012, 7:33 AM
I got a "warning" from a range worker at angeles saying cops come by and to"watch out" i told him i owned them prior to the ban and he said it didnt matter. I subsequently ignored him after that and kept using my hi caps.

Baconator
10-08-2012, 7:42 AM
For us older over fifty acronym deficient types what the hell is a "lgs"? :cool:

Local gun store

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Pumkinking
10-08-2012, 7:44 AM
You can use them in a rifle that does not have any evil features.

So you can use a 30 round mag in say a chinese sks that takes ak mags but has no bayonet?
Or maybe get a saiga and open up the magwell and thats it,leave the hunters stock etc?

zfields
10-08-2012, 8:23 AM
So you can use a 30 round mag in say a chinese sks that takes ak mags but has no bayonet?
Or maybe get a saiga and open up the magwell and thats it,leave the hunters stock etc?

First, the chicom sks that takes AK mags are banned by name, so other issues there. Second saigas don't need to be opened up, they just need the mag catch filed then parts to comply with 922r.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

GettoPhilosopher
10-08-2012, 8:26 AM

Or a featureless [insert any rifle here].
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/gettophilosopher/20120724_221347.jpg
(permanently pinned stock, muzzle brake, handstop, solar tactical grip wrap)

As has been pointed out, you can be young and still have owned preban LCMs. Now if the guy was an idiot and told the cops he got them 2 weeks before, well......*idiot*. But possession is not a crime, and frankly....this sounds like the kind of story a LGS would tell to excuse why they won't PPT a gun with rebuild kits. Sorta like all the gun stores who spread FUD about single shot exemption pistols. "No, a customer at our other store got SENT TO FEDERAL PRISON BY THE ATF OVER CONVERTING A 0RD SSE PISTOL TO NORMAL FUNCTION!!!! So that's why we don't sell Glock Gen 4s even though [other LGS] does, and that's why you shouldn't go buy one from [other LGS]".

paul0660
10-08-2012, 8:30 AM
It is Flak,

from Flugabwehrkanone.

SanPedroShooter
10-08-2012, 8:34 AM
I heard the CHP will land a helicopter on the freeway to come after your highcaps.

I personally found all mine....

I cant help it if I'm lucky.

bsumoba
10-08-2012, 8:35 AM

i am one of these guys who's father had an affinity for AKs and AR style rifles and knew i would eventually get my own and he thankfully told me to get a few...like i said i got 6 of them when i was 15.

when i bought them, i remember the guy behind the counter looking at me and asking me how old I was and I told him 15 and he asked me if my parents knew i was buying magazines and if i owned one. i told him my dad's here with me and pointed him out (he was actually behind me buying something else) and then i told him i dont own one but would when i get to legal age, he looked at my dad and said, "smart man" ;)

Baconator
10-08-2012, 8:41 AM
I heard the CHP will land a helicopter on the freeway to come after your highcaps.

I personally found all mine....

I cant help it if I'm lucky.

Stop spreading fud.

It's the DOJ with the helicopter.

SanPedroShooter
10-08-2012, 8:49 AM
Stop spreading fud.

It's the DOJ with the helicopter.

I apologize.

akjunkie
10-08-2012, 9:08 AM

NO one ever bothered me when I took my RAW Bulgarian SLR95 or my Polytech Legend with 30, 40 & 75rd mags or drums.

akjunkie
10-08-2012, 9:14 AM
I got harrassed by a know it all kid saying all hicaps were illigal. He was 18. I told him really? I can show you the law when it was banned, that possesion is not regulated, and stores that sell rebuild kits to fix damaged prelaw mags. He shut his hole. Should have told him if he cut his hair he might be able to read it.

Alot of kids think ARs were only sold in CA after Calguns came online.

NeoGeo630
10-08-2012, 9:23 AM
Keeping one's mouth shut goes a long way. :laugh:

Very true.:p

akjunkie
10-08-2012, 9:24 AM
I was not referring to possession/usage outside of my experience with Lytle Creek range. According to a couple of ROs and the manager, they do not allow >10 round magazines in anything other than a RAW.

Seriously? So if I bought Beretta 92 back in the 90s and all I owned were 15rd mags I technically couldn't shoot there?

SuperSet
10-08-2012, 9:30 AM
Seriously? So if I bought Beretta 92 back in the 90s and all I owned were 15rd mags I technically couldn't shoot there?

Don't go there with your hicaps.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=533500

NeoGeo630
10-08-2012, 9:30 AM
"Just heard a true story this past week. Without going into any details, it involved a SoCal lgs, a 21 yr old kid and off duty officer shooting at a range, and ended up with the kid in handcuffs being charged with felony possession of hi cap pistol mags."

Where ? Source ? Link ?

One of my best friend's told me. He heard it straight from the owner of the lgs who got in hot water over the situation. The lgs is in OC.

NeoGeo630
10-08-2012, 9:34 AM
As has been pointed out, you can be young and still have owned preban LCMs. Now if the guy was an idiot and told the cops he got them 2 weeks before, well......*idiot*. But possession is not a crime, and frankly....this sounds like the kind of story a LGS would tell to excuse why they won't PPT a gun with rebuild kits. Sorta like all the gun stores who spread FUD about single shot exemption pistols. "No, a customer at our other store got SENT TO FEDERAL PRISON BY THE ATF OVER CONVERTING A 0RD SSE PISTOL TO NORMAL FUNCTION!!!! So that's why we don't sell Glock Gen 4s even though [other LGS] does, and that's why you shouldn't go buy one from [other LGS]".

I think the kid was probably pretty freaked out over the situation and ended up telling them anything they asked. It's only natural to freak out in that kind of situation if you are not prepared for it. In terms of the lgs, the owner is actually pretty awesome when it comes to allowing pretty much anything that is legal including SSE and even some which are considered to be in the "grey" areas of the law. At least that's been my experience with them.

thegrayham
10-08-2012, 9:52 AM
Op you should keep your 30 rounders as they are so you can use them in a featureless build or out of state etc since you would not be able to replace them. If I were you I would just buy a few pre-made 10/30 mags for the new gun. You should also look into going featureless (I know I would if I had some standard cap mags laying around)

Powerkraut
10-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Not this argument again...

Better yet, prove that your magazines are preban, do you have receipts? Serial numbers?

I live in the Bay and literally none of the LEOs care about standard caps and as long as you didn't import or assemble your post-bans then the worst that they can do is confiscate them (they can do this for prebans too because, surprise! You can't prove that they're preban).

That being said, don't put standard caps in any BB'd firearm because you will find someone who cares about AWs

-hanko
10-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Better yet, prove that your magazines are preban, do you have receipts? Serial numbers?

I live in the Bay and literally none of the LEOs care about standard caps and as long as you didn't import or assemble your post-bans then the worst that they can do is confiscate them (they can do this for prebans too because, surprise! You can't prove that they're preban).

That being said, don't put standard caps in any BB'd firearm because you will find someone who cares about AWs
So wrong it's hard to believe you posted it.:rolleyes:

Burden of proof is the prosecution's issue, not the defendant's. Though the PRK gun laws are stupid, the PRK is still part of the United States.

If you'd like to cite a case where defendant was convicted because he could not provide proof, let us know.;)

-hanko

AVID HUNTER
10-08-2012, 12:07 PM
I have never had a problem in the past, but I only shoot Hicap from firearms I owned prior to the ban. I personally do not enjoy shooting at ranges though. I shoot at other areas in fact where border patrol frequent. In fact, they will stop by and chat for a second and the ones that don't stop always wave. My hats off to the border patrol for they don't get the recognition they deserve and in my estimation are our best American troops just trying to protect our borders from terrorists and drugs.

Anyways, I am just saddened that if someone moves to Kommifornia they cannot bring their lawfully purchased firearms. I met a retired LEO that moved here from Texas and he had to sell most of his collection.

Powerkraut
10-08-2012, 1:01 PM
So wrong it's hard to believe you posted it.:rolleyes:

Burden of proof is the prosecution's issue, not the defendant's. Though the PRK gun laws are stupid, the PRK is still part of the United States.

If you'd like to cite a case where defendant was convicted because he could not provide proof, let us know.;)

-hanko

The point went over your head, preban can't be proven to be preban any more than post ban can be proven to be post ban. Because burden of proof lies with the prosecution unless you assembled or imported the mags and run around telling LEOs this there is no functional difference between possessing the two.

Edit: Oh and as for "burden of proof" as it relates to firearms I'll refer you to pre-81 DIAS'.

bighead
10-08-2012, 1:11 PM
https://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-8346-magazine-762-x-39-ak47-black-100-round.aspx

I usually bring a few of these to the range with no problem:chris:

Pumkinking
10-08-2012, 1:25 PM
First, the chicom sks that takes AK mags are banned by name, so other issues there. Second saigas don't need to be opened up, they just need the mag catch filed then parts to comply with 922r.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

Ok,thanks.
finger to face...lol

projectalpha
10-08-2012, 5:19 PM
Not saying to bring them to the range, but it seems that a lot of the people who had problems w/ ROs and LEO checks are in the LA area. I haven't had any problems up here.

MrPlink
10-08-2012, 5:48 PM
What the hell is a pre 81 dias? (I know what a dias is)

projectalpha
10-08-2012, 6:13 PM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100103171700AA85Evc

Powerkraut
10-08-2012, 6:46 PM

Synopsis:

Before 1981 a DIAS was not considered a machine gun, it was perfectly legal to make a DIAS and own one. You could then pay the tax stamp, register your receiver, and then install it. these were being sold like crazy out of the back pages of Shotgun News and the BATFE recognized a potential for abuse. Then, in '81, they declared that all DIAS had to be serialized and registered as machine guns. Possession of a pre-81 DIAS is still grandfathered in, but the burden of proof is on you to prove it's pre-81. Since there was no reason to serialize or register a DIAS prior to 1981 this is basically impossible and possession of one will land you a "Possession of an unregistered MG" charge regardless of whether or not you even have the rifle it goes in.

Edit: Found the relevant BATFE publication

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-appendix-b.pdf

MrPlink
10-08-2012, 7:50 PM
^ Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info!

elsolo
10-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Never an issue, ever, anywhere.

sigstroker
10-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Bunk. Having just a pre '81 DIAS by itself is no problem. Having one WITH an AR-15 IS a problem. According to the "editor", whoever the hell that is, of that ATF publication, having the DIAS plus full-auto fire control parts is also a problem. But having those parts and an AR is also a problem.

Alphastorm
10-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Are magazines for 22s (rimfire) subjected to the 10-round limit as well? I thought I had read somewhere that the limit only applies to centerfire rifles, but I cannot remember.

Fate
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Are magazines for 22s (rimfire) subjected to the 10-round limit as well? I thought I had read somewhere that the limit only applies to centerfire rifles, but I cannot remember.

Usage = not limited.
Possession = not limited.
However, you cannot buy/import a >10 round mag in CA unless LEO, even if it's a .22

odysseus
10-09-2012, 11:32 AM

I am always interested if I read that here. What do you mean LE "check for... hi caps"? What were they doing when they check the magazines?

To the OP - no I have not been challenged in public shooting areas. However I have had looks and finger pointing, and I am a Cali RAW owner with "hi caps" since before the ban took affect. It is annoying, sometimes I think a few are just haters who don't want you having what they can't.

slikna99
10-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Before I knew that using a mag over 10+ rounds in a BB gun was illegal, I was shooting one with 20 rounds at a range. Range officer came up to us and asked where we got them and then started chatting about how he needed some. Could have gone bad but didn't.

bergmen
10-09-2012, 1:26 PM
I printed out the first post in this thread by Librarian:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

I keep it in my range bag to hand to anyone questioning my use of magazines with capacity greater than 10 rounds. Actually, I have several copies in case the inquisitor wants to keep it to become better informed.

Haven't had to reach for it yet.

Dan

Harrison_Bergeron
10-09-2012, 2:33 PM
Usage = not limited.
Possession = not limited.
However, you cannot buy/import a >10 round mag in CA unless LEO, even if it's a .22

He's probably thinking of/confusing the exception for tube fed rimfires.

stix213
10-09-2012, 3:54 PM

There is a specific exemption for .22 tube magazines. .22 box magazines, or rimfire magazines of any caliber other than .22, are still restricted from purchase, sales, manufacture, import, etc.

SJgunguy24
10-09-2012, 8:49 PM

Wash already posted a reply but not everybody here is 22 years old.
I've posed this a number of times. I actually had a LEO tell me I needed to carry a receipt for my mags to prove they're legal.
I asked him if he would carry a receipt for a cash purchase made at a gunshow close to 20 years ago.
He said that's stupid, who would do that. Well that's what you just asked me.
That shut him up pretty quick.

SJgunguy24
10-09-2012, 9:00 PM

I don't have to prove anything, they must have proof that any high cap mag was obtained under questionable circumstances.
Your last line is poorly written, high caps can be used in some mag locked firearms.
Lets say I legally aquired a 20 round MD drum for my mag locked equipped Sagia 12, i'm gonna run that mag all day and i'm 100% legal.

Steve1968LS2
10-09-2012, 9:06 PM

People love to butt in and be "that guy"..

Have quite a few pre-ban mags for pistols and a few for my AR and AK.. now I just need a featureless AR so I can use them. lol

I never get bugged when I run my Standard caps in my G17 or BHP... but I'm sure that I will now that I said that.

vintagearms
10-09-2012, 9:14 PM
I don't have to prove anything, they must have proof that any high cap mag was obtained under questionable circumstances.
Your last line is poorly written, high caps can be used in some mag locked firearms.
Lets say I legally aquired a 20 round MD drum for my mag locked equipped Sagia 12, i'm gonna run that mag all day and i'm 100% legal.

32310 Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section
32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section
17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2000, any
person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured,
imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for
sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine is
punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or
in the state prison.

32315 Upon a showing that good cause exists, the Department of
Justice may issue permits for the possession, transportation, or sale
between a person licensed pursuant to Sections 26700 to 26915,
inclusive, and an out-of-state client, of large-capacity magazines.

32390 Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section
32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section
17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any large-capacity magazine is a
nuisance and is subject to Section 18010.

They dont have to "prove" anything. Your hi-cap mag can be deemed a "nuisance" and be taken from you without compensation.

Multra
10-09-2012, 9:28 PM
It's crazy how easy it is to find 10+ round mags laying on the ground.

Bhobbs
10-09-2012, 9:47 PM
I am always interested if I read that here. What do you mean LE "check for... hi caps"? What were they doing when they check the magazines?

To the OP - no I have not been challenged in public shooting areas. However I have had looks and finger pointing, and I am a Cali RAW owner with "hi caps" since before the ban took affect. It is annoying, sometimes I think a few are just haters who don't want you having what they can't.

I don't know how they were checking hi caps as no one around me had any when they went through. I guess they were just looking at any hi cap bodies to see if they were pinned or not and asked the owner questions about it.

Triad
10-09-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm a cop and don't really give a hoot what people feed their rifles, or use to hold their ammo whilst feeding it. :)

Fherot
10-10-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm a cop and don't really give a hoot what people feed their rifles, or use to hold their ammo whilst feeding it. :)

If only all LEO were like you.. If we're obviously out having fun at the range or desert just plinking at paper and old fruit then no one should lose sleep how often we have to reload between mags...

I've never been asked or inspected but don't feel like getting into a discussion with the sheriff and rangers that check up on where I go shooting so I use 10-rounders.

AVID HUNTER
10-10-2012, 7:15 AM
I appreciate everyone having educated responses and the facts that the laws are on the side of the enthusiast. However, is it worth even using a high cap mag in these days considering it only takes an uneducated LEO, liberal judge and bad timing to lose your collection of firearms, get a felony and never be able to possess a firearm? It's not worth it to me. I enjoy hunting and to lose my ability to do that as well as slap paper just because I didn't want to reload so many times...not worth it.

If you legally possess high caps, leave them at home. It's not worth the trouble to your family and possibility of losing your future rights. More importantly, you need to keep your ability to bear arms so you can pass this hobby on to your children.

CSACANNONEER
10-10-2012, 7:18 AM
I appreciate everyone having educated responses and the facts that the laws are on the side of the enthusiast. However, is it worth even using a high cap mag in these days considering it only takes an uneducated LEO, liberal judge and bad timing to lose your collection of firearms, get a felony and never be able to possess a firearm? It's not worth it to me. I enjoy hunting and to lose my ability to do that as well as slap paper just because I didn't want to reload so many times...not worth it.

If you legally possess high caps, leave them at home. It's not worth the trouble to your family and possibility of losing your future rights. More importantly, you need to keep your ability to bear arms so you can pass this hobby on to your children.

WTF are you talking about? It is not illegal to possess or use (unless creating an AW) any magazine in CA. So, use 'em if you legally can and don't be afraid of being convicted of a non existant crime.

Steve1968LS2
10-10-2012, 7:26 AM

At what point do you stop being afraid and playing the "what if" game? Do you not own an OLL AR for fear of the uneducated? Do you not own a featureless rifle (AR or AK)?

At some point you need to just live life within the law and hope for the best. If we give up even more 2A rights than we have to then "they" have won.

GettoPhilosopher
10-10-2012, 7:30 AM
WTF are you talking about? It is not illegal to possess or use (unless creating an AW) any magazine in CA. So, use 'em if you legally can and don't be afraid of being convicted of a non existant crime.

But CSA, what about the liberal judges?????? ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Rorge Retson
10-10-2012, 8:41 AM

Everyone else should do what they want, but YOU should leave your standard capacity mags at home.

Better yet - get rid of them ASAP!! ;)

Sniper3142
10-10-2012, 8:50 AM

Fail on so many levels!! :(

If you are that afraid of using something legally owned, you might want to consider getting rid of all your firearms.

bighead
10-10-2012, 11:10 AM

SJ

I've wondered about this exact scenario with the S12 and the MD Arms drum, if you could, please explain how this would fly?

Thanks!

Sorry for the hijack..

GettoPhilosopher
10-10-2012, 11:30 AM
SJ

I've wondered about this exact scenario with the S12 and the MD Arms drum, if you could, please explain how this would fly?

Thanks!

Sorry for the hijack..

Remember, there are two different laws.

Law #1: the high cap ban. Cant import, manufacture, sell, give, or lend LCMs after 2000.

Law #2: One of the definitions of an assault weapon is a semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine of over 10 rounds.

Law #2 doesn't say a word about shotguns. However Law #1 still applies. So if you somehow managed to legally obtain a 20rd S12 drum, you could use it in your S12 perfectly legally.

The problem is there's not really any way to legally obtain a 20 rd S12 drum. :p

eclectic
10-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Hey, I finally get to use this!

:fud::fud::fud::fud::fud::fud::fud::fud::fud::fud:

chead
10-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I have a stack of standard-cap mags in my closet. I don't have any rifle that's featureless to use them with right now, so they continue to sit in the closet. There's nothing wrong with that. But you can be damn sure they're not going to be inserted into a rifle with a bullet button. THAT is asking for trouble.

-hanko
10-10-2012, 12:59 PM

As I've posted before...

Your legislature and the doj have you exactly where they want you. ;)

-hanko

drunktank
10-10-2012, 2:24 PM
I've gotten more flak for owning high caps from online members than people in real life. No one cares at the range. Just be legit and responsible.

AVID HUNTER
10-10-2012, 2:46 PM
Yeah, I guess they do have me where they want me, but for an older person that has had to deal with the court system in civil matters I would prefer to stay away from said system. There is a change of LEO's going about these days from the older to the younger and the younger ones are not on par with laws. I would also prefer not to have to spend 5-6 figures in lawyer fees just to shoot a few extra shots. For me, this is a hobby and nothing else. Mostly I hunt where I am limited to magazine capacity by DFG anyways. If you need me to show up on a street corner and wave a sign, I'll be there, but I'm sure as hell not gonna ride the grey area to shoot a few extra bullets at a paper target.

CSACANNONEER
10-10-2012, 3:33 PM
Yeah, I guess they do have me where they want me, but for an older person that has had to deal with the court system in civil matters I would prefer to stay away from said system. There is a change of LEO's going about these days from the older to the younger and the younger ones are not on par with laws. I would also prefer not to have to spend 5-6 figures in lawyer fees just to shoot a few extra shots. For me, this is a hobby and nothing else. Mostly I hunt where I am limited to magazine capacity by DFG anyways. If you need me to show up on a street corner and wave a sign, I'll be there, but I'm sure as hell not gonna ride the grey area to shoot a few extra bullets at a paper target.

Us older people are the ones with boxes full of older legal magazines. The laws were written so that we could continue to own and usee our personal property. So, I don't understand your paranoia. As far as young LEOs go, they do not prosecute you so, you're not going to spend 6 figures defending yourself against a non existant crime that the DA can't charge you with. As far as mag capacity for hunting with a rifle or handgun, please explain where DFG regulates mag capacity while hunting. The only mag capacity restrictions I know of mirror federal law for shotguns. THERE IS NO GREY AREA. Something is legal or it isn't. PERIOD. In this case, when I use +10 round mags at home, at a range or while hunting, it is 100% legal.

tacticalcity
10-10-2012, 3:41 PM
Us older people are the ones with boxes full of older legal magazines. The laws were written so that we could continue to own and usee our personal property. So, I don't understand your paranoia. As far as young LEOs go, they do not prosecute you so, you're not going to spend 6 figures defending yourself against a non existant crime that the DA can't charge you with. As far as mag capacity for hunting with a rifle or handgun, please explain where DFG regulates mag capacity while hunting. The only mag capacity restrictions I know of mirror federal law for shotguns. THERE IS NO GREY AREA. Something is legal or it isn't. PERIOD. In this case, when I use +10 round mags at home, at a range or while hunting, it is 100% legal.

They snuck the nuisance law in there. They can take them away from you. They just can't charge you with anything. The law is an Ex Post Factor Conditional violation, but then what else is knew? Until somebody challenges it in the courts it stays on the books and thus could theoretically happen. Heck, in California it may even stay on the books even after a judge tosses it. The DOJ and AG websites both reference old gun laws tossed by judges and say they are current. Websites like eBay and Amazon reference those outdated laws thinking they are the current law in setting their policies not understanding they no longer apply. The DOJ and AG refuse to update the information, because they wish it worked the old way. Welcome to California.

bighead
10-10-2012, 5:16 PM
Remember, there are two different laws.

Law #1: the high cap ban. Cant import, manufacture, sell, give, or lend LCMs after 2000.

Law #2: One of the definitions of an assault weapon is a semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine of over 10 rounds.

Law #2 doesn't say a word about shotguns. However Law #1 still applies. So if you somehow managed to legally obtain a 20rd S12 drum, you could use it in your S12 perfectly legally.

The problem is there's not really any way to legally obtain a 20 rd S12 drum. :p

So I wonder if it's mere existence qualifies as evidence that law 1 was broken?

tacticalcity
10-10-2012, 6:00 PM

Nope. Plenty out there from before the ban and when they wear out you can repair/replace them with rebuild kits. You can use a new PMAG kit (which did not exist before the ban) to repair a worn out magazine from before the ban.

The only real bummer is that there is a law on the books classifying them as a nuisance and that makes them subject to confiscation regardless of whether you had them before the ban or not. Totally unconstitutional law, but it is on the books (see my post above).

MrPlink
10-10-2012, 6:03 PM

nope. Im sure it is not beyond some over zealous LEO to make that argument,
but possession alone can not be clearly indicative of a crime since there is a legal (albeit unlikely) method of acquisition possible.
here is a far fetched hypo:

LEO has a 20rd S12 drum, which was acquired legally.
LEO goes shooting on BLM land and looses said drum.
Joe Schmoe the non-LEO finds said drum.

At no point was the law broken here, so how could possession be used to indicate a crime this instance?

There is another theoretically legal method of acquisition, but it opens up a whole other can of worms.

GettoPhilosopher
10-10-2012, 6:37 PM
Nope. Plenty out there from before the ban and when they wear out you can repair/replace them with rebuild kits. You can use a new PMAG kit (which did not exist before the ban) to repair a worn out magazine from before the ban.

The only real bummer is that there is a law on the books classifying them as a nuisance and that makes them subject to confiscation regardless of whether you had them before the ban or not. Totally unconstitutional law, but it is on the books (see my post above).

He was asking specifically Re: Saiga 12 drum mags, which have only recently been created. So it's trickier in that the possible legal modes of acquisition are more...far fetched (as the guy before me so aptly pointed out).

Marcus von W.
10-10-2012, 9:58 PM
"Nuisance" does not allow a cop to confiscate property. It does allow a judge to order that property destroyed AFTER a guilty plea or conviction.

Atlantaboi2012
10-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Why take a felony risk is how I feel about it? Not gonna waste good ammo on paper targets in an indoor range at that...

GettoPhilosopher
10-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Why take a felony risk is how I feel about it? Not gonna waste good ammo on paper targets in an indoor range at that...

Some of us own firearms for self-defense.

bighead
10-10-2012, 11:33 PM
nope. Im sure it is not beyond some over zealous LEO to make that argument,
but possession alone can not be clearly indicative of a crime since there is a legal (albeit unlikely) method of acquisition possible.
here is a far fetched hypo:

LEO has a 20rd S12 drum, which was acquired legally.
LEO goes shooting on BLM land and looses said drum.
Joe Schmoe the non-LEO finds said drum.

At no point was the law broken here, so how could possession be used to indicate a crime this instance?

There is another theoretically legal method of acquisition, but it opens up a whole other can of worms.

Now I get it.

Thanks

Chameleon Loco
10-11-2012, 12:44 AM
I am 18 and do not own any magazines over 10 rounds for my rifle. My dad however owns quite a few for his long guns and a few of his pistols. When we go shooting I always bug him to bring them, but he is paranoid about them, even though I told him he can use them as he purchased them before 2000. I think when I go to Nevada this year I will bring back some rebuild kits though. I am thinking about becoming a leo after I graduate from college, if that happens then I will be able to legally assemble my high caps in California.

MrPlink
10-11-2012, 3:05 AM
Risk what felony now?

stingray4540
10-11-2012, 5:23 AM
...and looses said drum.
Joe Schmoe... ...finds said drum.

So there's no law against "harvesting" +10rd. mags?! Awesome! 'cause I know of a field that's got all kinds of +10rd mags just laying around waiting to be picked!

LOL, I wish...

Anyone want to buy some mag. seeds? Just grow your own and it's legal! I'm starting the next big money industry in Cal. :D

CSACANNONEER
10-11-2012, 5:28 AM

Felony using legally owned property in a legal fashion? With that kind of thinking, be careful that you don't get caught using your legally owned toilet paper the way it was intended to be used.

Fherot
10-11-2012, 8:21 AM
I actually found a 30 round AR Mag in the desert here. It was 'LEO Only' marked and really nice once I cleaned it...

Then I got rid of it (this was a few years ago ) because I was paranoid.

I kick myself in *** every morning I get up.

eclectic
10-11-2012, 8:39 AM
So there's no law against "harvesting" +10rd. mags?! Awesome! 'cause I know of a field that's got all kinds of +10rd mags just laying around waiting to be picked!

LOL, I wish...

Anyone want to buy some mag. seeds? Just grow your own and it's legal! I'm starting the next big money industry in Cal. :D

Uhh, yeah... Cope's Distributing (http://www.copesdistributing.net/bmake-magazine-rebuild-p-2488.html) sells them already. :D