PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint ( Which one would work better on a Socom 16 ) ?

GUN FREAK
07-09-2007, 5:52 PM
Aimpoint 7000L (Long) Red Dot Sight 30mm Tube 1x 4 MOA Dot Matte
or
Aimpoint 7000SC (Short) Red Dot Sight 30mm Tube 1x 4 MOA Dot Silver

Both are on sale. :chris::chris:

6172crew
07-09-2007, 9:54 PM
Id find a M3, ML3 or some other Aimpoint used, they will be easier to get rid of if your ever looking to upgrade later.

GTKrockeTT
07-09-2007, 11:27 PM
too bad you didn't get in on that CompC deal from midway instead of the remaining deals.

personally, i think an Eotech is a strong candidate for a Socom 16...especially from an aesthetics perspective.

aplinker
07-10-2007, 3:02 PM
too bad you didn't get in on that CompC deal from midway instead of the remaining deals.

personally, i think an Eotech is a strong candidate for a Socom 16...especially from an aesthetics perspective.

What aesthetics? The Aimpoint looks more traditional, like the rifle itself, but an EOTech is a better optic.

The 7000L is ugly and unneccessary. The 7000SC is ok. If you're set on it.

Wait, just saw the SC is silver. I wouldn't do either, in that case.

GTKrockeTT
07-10-2007, 3:22 PM
What aesthetics? The Aimpoint looks more traditional, like the rifle itself, but an EOTech is a better optic.

The 7000L is ugly and unneccessary. The 7000SC is ok. If you're set on it.

Wait, just saw the SC is silver. I wouldn't do either, in that case.

the Eotech, by mounting directly to the scout rail, sits lower than an Aimpoint. IMO, this looks much better...less "front heavy."

aplinker
07-10-2007, 5:07 PM
the Eotech, by mounting directly to the scout rail, sits lower than an Aimpoint. IMO, this looks much better...less "front heavy."

Actually, it's illusion. It "appears" lower due to the gap of the mount on the Aimpoint. The EOTech is actually up higher. Does depend on the mount, though.

GTKrockeTT
07-10-2007, 7:33 PM
when mounted, overall height on the aimpoint is higher than the eotech, even without a riser (yes, i've measured my aimpoint and eotech before). the "appears" lower is exactly what i'm talking about.

Solidsnake87
07-10-2007, 8:57 PM
Try the Comp ML2. Great site. Attractive to the eye. I doubt you will have need of night vision settings. However, if you want 2 MOA over 4 MOA then go with the Comp ML3

aplinker
07-10-2007, 10:48 PM
when mounted, overall height on the aimpoint is higher than the eotech, even without a riser (yes, i've measured my aimpoint and eotech before). the "appears" lower is exactly what i'm talking about.

I've measured mine, too. Again, depends on the mount. If there's a gap between the rail and your Aimpoint, then you have a raised mount. How raised it is will affect the overall height. That varies widely with different mounts. There are mounts that put it flush with the rail, this would make it shorter than the EO.

Try the Comp ML2. Great site. Attractive to the eye. I doubt you will have need of night vision settings. However, if you want 2 MOA over 4 MOA then go with the Comp ML3

I think he's liking his deal cost. If you're really looking to save money, there are other options that will serve you better than the 7000's.

Honestly, though, when you factor in mounting, the Eotech 512 is a good deal at about $350.

1911su16b870
07-20-2007, 9:30 PM

+1 My Socom 16 and Comp ML2 prints less than 2-in at 100 yards from sand bagged bench rest.

bobfried
07-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I'd try and pick up a CompC or an ML2 used for cheap. This coupled with a single 30mm low scope ring is about damn perfect for any SOCOM/SCOUT setup.

For the person that keeps insisting the Aimpoint sits higher, you need to go out and buy a 30mm low ring and see how low an Aimpoint can get. The Eotech sits lamost half an inch higher on my Scout than the Aimpoint. The Aimpoint. sits so damn low the lens cover doesn't even fit, I'm just glad the Scout mount has a center channel releif in it otherwise it wouldn't even fit on that.

Something like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=217433