PDA

View Full Version : Projectile wedged in barrel.. need advice!

John Haberman
10-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Need major advice here!
Loaded squib round in my PTR and pushed the projectile far enough into the chamber but not far enough to fully load the next round, needless to say I have a projectile and the next live round wedged behind it around 1/4" cartridge end sticking out of the chamber. At this point I have not been able to remove the live round as it is wedged in really tight.
Somebody please advise as I am really bummed out and do not want to damage my rifle inproper with a removal.
Thanks, john

CK_32
10-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Step one find a way to unlodge the live round.. Then fine a long rod of some sort to slap the squib out of the chamber..

People suggest using cleaning rods but I wouldn't want to ruin it and be out $35. But again get the love round out first then get the squib don't endanger your self even more..

And be happy that second bullet rammed up or you could have had a kaboom

Gofasterdammit
10-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Get a wood dowel from a hardware store and beat it out.

John Haberman
10-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks to both, I'm guessing that I havent done any damage to my rifle..?

MXRider
10-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Before doing anything, apply a generous amount of lube in the chamber and down the barrel and let it soak for a bit. This will make life easier for you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

CK_32
10-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks to both, I'm guessing that I havent done any damage to my rifle..?

Possibly.. But highly doubtful tho.. Id assume you'll domore damage trying to dislodge it and bending or scratching something.. But even then these are tools so they can take abuse.

Just take your time and do it right and don't go Neanderthal on the thing.

sonnyt650
10-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Semi-auto it's only jammed in there as tight as the action spring can push it. If you can get the angled tips of needle-nose plyers in there you can gently leverage out the unfired case using a dowel to avoid scratching up the rifle's ejection slot. If you don't have the right pair of plyers I'd buy those rather than try to rig something else up.

klewan
10-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Get a wood dowel from a hardware store and beat it out.

I guess you didn't see the other thread with the jammed bullet. That one had a cleaning rod AND a wood dowel wedged into the barrel.

Fill the barrel with oil, leave about 2" unfilled. Get a wood dowel that is a tight fit in the barrel, and smack it with a hammer. That will **** the whole mess out. If you don't have a lathe, chuck some of the dowel in a drill motor and file it down so it fits. 4-6" long dowel should work.

Be sure to have the bolt and carrier out of the gun before doing this, I'm sure 40% of the forum would leave those in......

John Haberman
10-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks all I'm feeling better knowing now that i didnt break my rifle, I will take my time and figure out what I need to remove the cartridge, I guess thats whats really holding me up from getting the projectile out..john

starsnuffer
10-07-2012, 5:45 PM
Wait is the cartridge stuck or just the bullet?

-W

ar15barrels
10-07-2012, 8:48 PM
If you are in the Los Angeles area and need professional help with this problem, I got your back...

a1rfreshener
10-07-2012, 10:18 PM
i would heavily lubricate and take a wooden dowel and push it back out to the chamber instead of pushing it back out the muzzle. i feel as if the chance of u ruining a barrel the whole length or mashing the rifling down a bit from the squib to the chamber...

kendog4570
10-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Every time a tyro uses a wood rod, a gunsmith's kid goes to college.

DONT USE WOOD! Lead bullets can be pushed/beat out with a bore riding steel rod. Jacketed bullets usually have to be drilled out, or pushed with high pressure grease. Don't try and drive a jacketed bullet with a rod! It will upset and jamb in the bore like nothing you have ever seen. If it comes out with little force and a wood rod or cleaning rod, you just got lucky and it wasn't really stuck.
The first order of business is to get the live round out. If the guns extractor mechanism wont get it, then you will most likely need a collet/slide hammer setup just for this purpose.
There is a reason why real smiths charge dearly for this work, and they usually get the job after the thing has been jambed to hell by well-meaning tinkerers. One obstruction usually turns to two or three by the time they see them.
If you don't have the tooling and the wherewithall to do this, then take it to the guy that does and pay him.

Sicarius
10-07-2012, 11:33 PM
What I use for pistols is a brass rod. I knock off the edge of the rod that goes into the barrel and dimple the middle. Try to line it up with the point of the bullet in the dimple and pound it out. You can find the brass rod at osh. Dont forget to drop some lube down the barrel and let it sit for a few first.
Kevin

shadowofnight
10-08-2012, 6:13 AM
If you are in the Los Angeles area and need professional help with this problem, I got your back...

So who are you going to refer him to ?

:p

John Haberman
10-08-2012, 6:39 AM
Thanks for all the advice, right now the PTR barrel/reciever is in the hands of a HK armorer. Wish me luck..John