View Full Version : Best .22 LR Hvy. Barrel Bolt Action Rifle

07-09-2007, 3:25 PM
your opinion and why.............

07-09-2007, 3:47 PM
Some sort of custom action like a Stolle-Swindlehurst, Turbo, or Hall with a quality barrel by Lilja, Shillen, or Border.

22LR benchrest is a sinkhole for money. Head over to Inland Fish and Game on the 1st Sunday of the month (verify with calendar). We have a monthly 22LR benchrest match (ARA sanctioned). There's a wide range of 22LR rifles for you to check out.

A Remington 40X or Winchester 52D is nice, but even with all the money spent on getting it accurized (rebarrel and quality stock) it won't keep up with the truly custom builds.

Anschutz rifles are excellent bolt guns as well and they dominate smallbore 3-position. The CMP has a couple good entry level Anschutz rifles (one for Juniors and one for adults) at around $1100.

Lots of people like to talk about how great their CZ is. I've heard some amazing group sizes that people claim their CZ 452/453 will maintain all the time. As good a quality rifle CZ makes, I am quite skeptical of the dime size groups that people claim to achieve consistently at 50 yards with a CZ bolt gun. I know a lot of guys with CZ and none of them claim the type of groups that all the forum posters claim. But if we're talking $500 or less, then CZ is probably the best of the bunch. The Savage rimfire offerings are probably equal as well. After that, I am not familiar enough with the factory 22LR bolt guns out there to make any more recommendations at $500 or less.

07-09-2007, 5:48 PM
You cant go wrong with an Anschutz or Walther for a position rifle. Super accurate, great stocks and sights, and tons of accesories for available.

Ive got a pair of super cherry 40X HBs and they shoot dime size groups at 50 yards with relatively inexpensive Federal Gold Medal Match ($32 a brick) and good peep sights. They can use all the accessories out there for Remington 700s, and 40x centerfire rifles, have fantastic triggers, and they will continue to appreciate over time, which cant be said about many others. Mine also have the benefit of being US Property marked as they were trainers. Ive been thinking about selling one too... ;-)

07-09-2007, 5:51 PM
If $ is no object then :iagree: with both the above.

If you're staying under $300 get a Savage.

07-09-2007, 6:05 PM
In my personal opinion heavy barrel rifles are a waste of weight unless you are going into a HIGHLY specialized event, such as the matches described above, in which case money shouldn't be a factor and you should follow the advice above.

Now if you're just looking for a general plinking gun, or maybe a hunting/pest control rifle than the difference between a heavy barrel, normal barrel, or lightweight barrel on your rifle (ESPECIALLY for rimfires) will be so minimal that you will be kicking yourself later when you have to lug it around. Add in that since you have a rather generic question on the subject you probably have a rather generic, and or entry level, grasp on what you want to do and what you need (please don't take that as an insult - we all have to start at the beginning and no one is an expert in everything, let alone anything, me especially). With that said I would strongly suggest a CZ 452 for your first bolt gun. CZs come in the four major rimfire flavors and are based on the time proven Mauser design. I'd suggest the 452 in .22LR and get comfortable with it, practice with it, learn the ins and outs and then put glass on it and learn what you can do from there. The great thing is that for $500 you can get the CZ 452, a brick of ammo, and good glass and rings for it.

Keep in mind though that, just as with many things, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. Your rifle may have 1/4" MOA accuracy but if you have no finger control or crap glass then you will only be as accurate as those weak points. So if you want to get REALLY obsessed with accuracy than get a starting rifle and some reading material, maybe even a class or two, and get to the point where you are better than your rifle. At that point jump on the custom rifle ring and don't skimp on the mounts, optics, etc.

07-09-2007, 6:33 PM
Neo brings up a good point, it all depends on what you want it for. My 40X HBs are awesome rifles, but they probably weigh 11+ lbs. If you can handle one offhand they are super stable, but you may need to train a lot to pull off a 60 round offhand match without your arms falling off. I definitely wouldn't want to lug one around in the field either.

07-09-2007, 7:29 PM
I'm looking to practice my off hand position w/ a scoped bolt action rifle.

07-09-2007, 7:31 PM
Once upon a time I to was looking for a 22lr. rifle that can shoot one holes at 50 yards. A friend of mine wanted to sell me his Copper stainless varmit M57. I asked him if I could shoot it first, so he agreed. It comes with a test target that had a one hole group at 50 yards with federal ammo.I bought a box and meet him at the range and it was true one holers, so for kicks I put a shotgun shell (12 gauge) out at 100 yards and a 308 casing. Believe it or not I shot the 12 shell with one shot, I thought to myself, that it must be a luck, so I shot the 308 casing and I also hit it with one shot at a hundred yards. I had a 3x9x33 leupold on it and it stayed.
With the scope it only weighs 7.5 lbs., to bad it does not have slings on it,but with that kind of groupings I don't mind. And with all this 17hmr stuff going around I had bought one, but with a sporter barrel and sling studs and I LOVE IT.

07-09-2007, 8:02 PM
I found this for sale on Craigslist:

Not sure if this is what you want or not - it also appears to be a lefty.

07-09-2007, 8:31 PM
There are a few decent choices at under $400 (Remington, CZ and Savage). With a scope, rings, a brick of ammo, tax and DROS fees, you should be right around $500-$600 (or more if you have an appetite for really good glass). I recommend that you visit the nearest gun store and do some side-by-side comparisons. How the stock fits your body and the action feels in your hands are likely to outweigh the minor differences in accuracy, especially for off-hand shooting.