PDA

View Full Version : Real takdown pin

VAHEVAHE
07-09-2007, 2:42 PM
The rear takedown pin on my ar-15 is too lose, after a day at the range the pin might fall out . how can i fix this?

SemiAutoSam
07-09-2007, 2:43 PM
Do you have take down pins that arent real ?

chiefcrash
07-09-2007, 2:44 PM
i hate it when i get those imaginary take down pins in my LPK...

Ryan HBC
07-09-2007, 2:45 PM
The detent should stop it from falling out of place. Even if there is no upper attached it should always stay in the open or closed position. Do you hear the audible snap as the pin is pressed?

ocabj
07-09-2007, 2:45 PM
It's impossible for the rear take down pin to fall out. Tension from the detent and detent spring should keep it in place. If it isn't, then you need to make sure the detent and detent spring are actually in place. If they are, then check to see if the spring has enough tension (which is unlikely that it will be that worn). If for some reason it is, then just swap out the detent and detent spring with new ones. You can get them for about $2.

VAHEVAHE
07-09-2007, 2:47 PM
It's impossible for the rear take down pin to fall out. Tension from the detent and detent spring should keep it in place. If it isn't, then you need to make sure the detent and detent spring are actually in place. If they are, then check to see if the spring has enough tension (which is unlikely that it will be that worn). If for some reason it is, then just swap out the detent and detent spring with new ones. You can get them for about $2.

O crap.... it dosnt have any springs, it just has the pin.... did i assemble the pin wrong????????????// :(((((((( where can i put the part, i mean buy them

slick_711
07-09-2007, 2:53 PM
O crap.... it dosnt have any springs, it just has the pin.... did i assemble the pin wrong????????????// :(((((((( where can i put the part, i mean buy them

If you didn't put in any pins then the detent is the least of your problems... but it sounds like you only missed the detent spring/pin. Take your stock off, and make sure there is a detent in the hole in the back of the lower, then place the spring into the hole and replace the stock. The two parts you're looking for are a "rear takedown pin detent" and "rear takedown pin detent spring" or something along those lines. You should have extra parts left over from your LPK, but if you don't those two replacement parts are not expensive. Attention to detail friend, attention to detail!

Pin
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=136954&t=11082005
Spring
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=517825&t=11082005
Assembly instructions
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

SemiAutoSam
07-09-2007, 2:55 PM
Black oak armament has sent me free small parts in the past.

O crap.... it doesn't have any springs, it just has the pin.... did i assemble the pin wrong????????????// :(((((((( where can i put the part, i mean buy them

VAHEVAHE
07-09-2007, 2:56 PM
If you didn't put in any pins then the detent is the least of your problems... but it sounds like you only missed the detent spring/pin. Take your stock off, and make sure there is a detent in the hole in the back of the lower, then place the spring into the hole and replace the stock. The two parts you're looking for are a "rear takedown pin detent" and "rear takedown pin detent spring" or something along those lines. You should have extra parts left over from your LPK, but if you don't those two replacement parts are not expensive. Attention to detail friend, attention to detail!

I took it to the range and everything worked excellent, the boltcatch, stock, buffer and spring , ejector the only thing was that good dam takedown pin. im gonna ask something that might give you guys a heart attack but cant i just bolt the darn thing in with spacers , and where can i buy these replacment parts

slick_711
07-09-2007, 3:02 PM
I took it to the range and everything worked excellent, the boltcatch, stock, buffer and spring , ejector the only thing was that good dam takedown pin. im gonna ask something that might give you guys a heart attack but cant i just bolt the darn thing in with spacers , and where can i buy these replacment parts

Read my edit I gave you links to both items and proper assembly instructions. You could bolt it in place, but that would look stupid, and make cleaning a hassle. And it was your mistake so curse neither the pins nor the rifle. But mistakes happen, and thats an easy one to fix so don't stress out over it. Just spend $3 on a pin and a spring and wait a few days by the mailbox.

SemiAutoSam
07-09-2007, 3:03 PM
For now use a tight fitting 1/4 inch bolt

I have used aircraft bolts in place of the selector and the take down pins in the past with no problems.

With the 3/8 bolt I used in place of the selector I just ground the bolt in the same area that the slot is in the selector. I made it tight with Teflon flat washers and a lock nut.

I took it to the range and everything worked excellent, the bolt catch, stock, buffer and spring , ejector the only thing was that good dam take down pin. I'm gonna ask something that might give you guys a heart attack but cant i just bolt the darn thing in with spacers , and where can i buy these replacement parts

VAHEVAHE
07-09-2007, 3:20 PM
Read my edit I gave you links to both items and proper assembly instructions. You could bolt it in place, but that would look stupid, and make cleaning a hassle. And it was your mistake so curse neither the pins nor the rifle. But mistakes happen, and thats an easy one to fix so don't stress out over it. Just spend $3 on a pin and a spring and wait a few days by the mailbox.

Jicko
07-09-2007, 3:23 PM

hmmmm

Good that you didn't forget your "disconnector"....
or "disconnector spring"....

DJDace
07-09-2007, 3:33 PM
hmmmm

Or "which way to hold the rifle"! lol its ok!

Cali-V
07-09-2007, 3:54 PM
Make sure you installed the barrel lug...

Technical Ted
07-09-2007, 4:04 PM
Make sure you installed the barrel lug...
and don't forget to pressurize the gas system by pressing on the forward assist 20 times.

slick_711
07-09-2007, 4:06 PM
and don't forget to pressurize the gas system by pressing on the forward assist 20 times.

I was just making that same joke about a different rifle with a coworker the other day. Reminds me of those old Reboks. Used to have to call time out during recess basketball games so we could "pump up our kicks" so we could jump higher. :p

SemiAutoSam
07-09-2007, 4:25 PM
Ted whats the torque spec on the Uppers Rotation bearings ? 15 no at least 20 foot pounds right ?

simonov
07-09-2007, 5:53 PM
hmmmm

You guys are laughing, but look at the OP's posting history. It's better than even money he hasn't installed a Prince50, bullet button or Madman grip.

We'll be reading about him in the papers soon.

SemiAutoSam
07-09-2007, 6:22 PM
The mans name is Monsterman.

You guys are laughing, but look at the OP's posting history. It's better than even money he hasn't installed a Prince50, bullet button or Madman grip.

We'll be reading about him in the papers soon.

ar15barrels
07-09-2007, 6:35 PM
Black oak armament has sent me free small parts in the past.

Is that the evil twin company to White Oak Armament?

slick_711
07-09-2007, 6:41 PM
I'm sure Vahehave has his rifle legally configured, he just missed a small step in assembling his lower. To be honest with you, I made a similar small mistake the other day assembling my new rifle, and it was far from my first time working on an AR. I actually got everything all put together and slapped the upper on the lower and racked the action open... and it was surprisingly easy. In my haste to see my pretty new rifle fully assembled I had left the recoil spring and buffer out of the stock. :o Everyone makes a few mistakes, at least he knew where to come to get a quick answer.

On a side note, I'll get around to posting pics/info/test target on my new build later tonight. :D

SemiAutoSam
07-09-2007, 6:45 PM
OK OK so I was off on the color of the

.OAK TREE.

Is that the evil twin company to White Oak Armament?

StevieG
07-09-2007, 7:44 PM

Dude are you Borat? If yes I want your autograph.:D

DJDace
07-10-2007, 9:29 AM
Dude are you Borat? If yes I want your autograph.:D

I don't mean to be a jerk but I can't help it on this one. I just like how instead of backspacing to delete "where can i put the part" he typed in "i mean buy them" right after it. Sorry, I just laughed really long about that and I actually thought of Borat as well hahaha.

Sorry I am a douche.

StevieG
07-10-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't mean to be a jerk but I can't help it on this one. I just like how instead of backspacing to delete "where can i put the part" he typed in "i mean buy them" right after it. Sorry, I just laughed really long about that and I actually thought of Borat as well hahaha.

Sorry I am a douche.

VV is definately my favorite poster here. A highly entertaining mixture between Borat and Ali G. And the best part is, the dude is for real.:D

I guess I`m a douche too.:punk:

aplinker
07-10-2007, 3:50 PM
VV is definately my favorite poster here. A highly entertaining mixture between Borat and Ali G. And the best part is, the dude is for real.:D

I guess I`m a douche too.:punk:

w0rd

rastro
07-10-2007, 9:18 PM
IIRC, you were in the Burbank/Pasadena area.

You may want to drop by or give Gunrunners (http://www.gunrunners.org/) a call. They had small parts a year ago when I was helping my bro build his first OLL. I picked up a spare mag catch assembly, but they seemed to have quite a few spare parts on hand from what I saw.

They are located in Duarte, right off the 210/605 interchange. Service seems to be hit or miss (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=27579) from what folks have said on the board, but they have a nice selection of eye candy when I was there last year and the OLL boom was just starting out. I had dealt with Paul and he was really helpful, YMMV.

aplinker
07-10-2007, 10:13 PM
IIRC, you were in the Burbank/Pasadena area.

You may want to drop by or give Gunrunners (http://www.gunrunners.org/) a call. They had small parts a year ago when I was helping my bro build his first OLL. I picked up a spare mag catch assembly, but they seemed to have quite a few spare parts on hand from what I saw.

They are located in Duarte, right off the 210/605 interchange. Service seems to be hit or miss (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=27579) from what folks have said on the board, but they have a nice selection of eye candy when I was there last year and the OLL boom was just starting out. I had dealt with Paul and he was really helpful, YMMV.

That post, with 2 nice embedded links... it was like a work of art.

xenophobe
07-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Can we get a sticky for this thread? :laugh:

aplinker
07-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Can we get a sticky for this thread? :laugh:

VH's threads are like food fights. No one has a clue where or why it started (maybe we just want to forget?), but everyone ends up messy cause you've just gotta get some throws in.

Technical Ted
07-10-2007, 10:41 PM
VH's threads are like food fights. No one has a clue where or why it started (maybe we just want to forget?), but everyone ends up messy cause you've just gotta get some throws in.
So given a few moments, they stick themselves?

Socal858
07-10-2007, 10:55 PM
i must get in on this awesome action.

Technical Ted, please get it right. you pump thje forward assist 20 times for a carbine and 28 times for a rifle. :)

Technical Ted
07-10-2007, 11:00 PM
i must get in on this awesome action.

Technical Ted, please get it right. you pump thje forward assist 20 times for a carbine and 28 times for a rifle. :)
WRONG.

Obviously you're not aware that there is a difference between the carbine forward assist and the rifle forward assist assemblies :p

Socal858
07-11-2007, 8:18 AM
WRONG.

Obviously you're not aware that there is a difference between the carbine forward assist and the rifle forward assist assemblies :p

thrusts per squeeze? :confused:

ar15barrels
07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
thrusts per squeeze? :confused:

I believe that rifles have shorter teeth on the forward assist pawl and heavier buffers.
Hence the need for additional pushes... :D