PDA

View Full Version : need help with ar

boogak
07-09-2007, 1:27 PM
my ar wont feed green tip 62 grain m855 ammo. it feeds everything else from winchester to wolf. here are descriptions of my gun:
m1s upper chrome lined 1 in 7 twist. lower is stag with rra 2 stage trigger kit.
please advise.

aplinker
07-09-2007, 1:38 PM
You'll need to describe the problem better. Where is it getting stuck? Is it on every round? What kind of mags? Does it do it more in one or another?

Lateralus
07-09-2007, 3:02 PM
in my past, 90% of feed problems were the mags. What kind are you using? follower type? any details will help, and remember: a picture is worth a thousand words

ghost
07-09-2007, 4:10 PM
:useless:

sardaukar
07-09-2007, 4:38 PM
Nice username. I second the magazine idea. I have five different brands of magazines. Some work better than others.

ar15barrels
07-09-2007, 6:47 PM
Put a heavier buffer in it.
M1S barrels have oversized gas ports.
The other two brands of ammo mentioned are not loaded to the full pressure of M855.
The full pressure ammo is most likely causing failure to extracts.

Give a better description of EXACTLY your problem.
When the gun stops, where is the fired case?

boogak
07-10-2007, 1:55 PM
ok, now that i changed from a carbine stock to a rifle stock and upgraded the buffer spring, it will feed in the chamber. but wont extract unless i use force to pull it out by charging handle. i lubed the ch and bcg.i dont think it is the mag, my mag is a bushmaster 10 rounder. i have not tried to shoot it after changing buffer and spring yet. sorry no pics, spent all my money on guns so no money for camera. thanks

aplinker
07-10-2007, 3:45 PM
The 1st thing I'd make sure of is there's no obstruction in the barrel. You'll need to get some light down it. Also check to make sure everything is clean.

What do you mean by "full force"? Without a round in the chamber is it difficult to charge? If you put the round in manually without a mag, will it extract?

Far too many questions and entirely too little information from your description.

boogak
07-10-2007, 4:27 PM
well i tried it with my rra carbine and it did the samething. i used a different mag but same brand. i would load a round in the mag. pull the charging handle back. the round would chamber but i cant pull the charging handle back to manually eject it, so i would have to use alot of force. happened to both rifles. could it be the ammo?
my friends mini14 had no issue with it at all, but both my ar's do.

stevie
07-10-2007, 4:42 PM
Sounds like you have not fired the rifle just manually loading and unloading. Go shoot the thing and see what happens, just because its a little tough to extract a loaded round does not mean it will not fire correctly. Mine rifles are the same way and fire and eject fine.

boogak
07-10-2007, 4:45 PM
no no. i did try firing the rifle not the carbine. when i had it at the range i loaded the mag up and closed the bolt. the first time the bolt wouldnt close all the way. when it did i would pull the trigger and all it would do is click, no bang. then i try to manually eject it, it was stuck. thats what i meant by tough. and not a little tough. anymore insight would be greatly appreciatted.

ar15barrels
07-10-2007, 6:51 PM
Check to see if the ammo is longer than spec on headspace length.
Check to see if the chamber/bolt is shorter than spec on the headspace length.

If there is other ammo that works fine, then I suggest you stay with that type of ammo.

BossHogg
07-11-2007, 12:35 AM
i loaded the mag up and closed the bolt. the first time the bolt wouldnt close all the way.

Sorry I have to ask this. Is there a nice layer of clp on the bolt carrier and inside upper receiver? Does the foward assist nudge it foward more?

If you bought your lake city from cheaper than dirt that might be an issue also. Some of there surplus is mildly out of spec.

xenophobe
07-11-2007, 3:01 AM
no no. i did try firing the rifle not the carbine. when i had it at the range i loaded the mag up and closed the bolt. the first time the bolt wouldnt close all the way. when it did i would pull the trigger and all it would do is click, no bang. then i try to manually eject it, it was stuck. thats what i meant by tough. and not a little tough. anymore insight would be greatly appreciatted.

Okay, you've tried this with two rifles.... are they both Model 1 uppers?

Are you sure the bolt is fully engaged and the bolt carrier is fully forward?

Are you using a enhanced extractor spring, Crane O-ring or MGI D-Fender?

From the sounds of it, the chamber is too tight (not so likely) or the ammo is out of spec (more likely)

Without more info it's tough to tell.

boogak
07-11-2007, 12:10 PM
one rifle is m1s upper the other is rra upper. im not sure about the extractor spring, it is whatever it came with. i bought the ammo from tradors in san leandro.