Flux Capacitor
07-08-2007, 8:04 PM
Ask Bill Weise.

mltrading
07-08-2007, 8:06 PM
AFAIK, Model1 is so-called "bottom feeder".:cool2:

PLINK
07-08-2007, 8:23 PM
Besides what other people will say and most do not have an actual experiance with M1S uppers, they are functional and cosmetically par with the other guys.

I have one and it works 100%. Others on this board had the same results.

The upper receivers are from the common upper makers. I have a chrome lined barrel which is pretty accurate with iron sights (that is all I currently have). The only complaint I had with mine is the handguards were kinda cheap. They worked but did not fit together as nice as the Bushmasters I have on there now. For plinking and basic range shooting there are fine. If you want something super accurate you should be building your own or having one built to your specs and it won't be cheap.

My .02 cents.

StevieG
07-08-2007, 8:25 PM
I used to have one with a fluted 20" bbl. Heavy like a tank but definately a sub MOA shooter. Never had an issue with it and neither did my buddy who bought it.

Surveyor
07-08-2007, 8:36 PM
My first build used parts from M&A, a parts house in the same catagory as Model 1. For the money I paid, it was a fine gun. I sold her, but I had no problems with her before I did. If you don't have more than $800 total, then go ahead and use Model 1 or M&A. If you want to spend a couple of thousand $, then look elsewhere (PKFirearms, etc...).

My new baby is from www.PKFirearms.com, pics will follow soon.

C.G.
07-08-2007, 8:38 PM
Ask Gene Hoffmang about his Model 1 upper, but get him to take his blood pressure medicine first.:)

Ratters
07-08-2007, 8:42 PM
Del-ton makes pretty good stuff at bargain prices. I have two parts kits from them and they were both excellent.

AJAX22
07-08-2007, 8:43 PM
I wouldn't mind hearing a horror story about model 1

I keep hearing that they have problems with the metalurgy in their bolts (and other things)

I'd rather have a used gun with a blem than a new model 1. but thats just my 2c.

ar15barrels
07-08-2007, 9:11 PM
Model 1 Sales uppers consistently have oversized gas ports.

This causes all manner of problems from failures to extract to ripped off case rims, excessive recoil, excessive carrier speed and other feeding related issues.

Del-ton and J&T seem to be made better for similar prices.

shinigami
07-08-2007, 9:24 PM
I've had no problems with my M1S complete upper (24" tactical upper). When I first got it I slapped it on my lower and hit the range. Put a bit of oil in the bolt carrier and shot 800 rounds on that day. Never had any problems with it.

xenophobe
07-08-2007, 9:30 PM
Apparently the text marked "search" near the top of this page should be in flashing red letters. :xeno:

hoffmang
07-08-2007, 10:12 PM
My M1S requires the rear sight base to be 100% to the right to even get on paper. Xeno swears to me that this means that the barrel is bent and that I need to torque it over. Either way, the money saved was not at all worth it.

Also, I had a ton of trouble using a couple of M1S parts kits compared to other guys who bought higher quality parts kit. When I then bought RRA and Stag kits I was much happier..

Spend a couple of more bucks and get something from a vendor with less issues.

-Gene

BlackReef
07-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Well I am still planning on buying a Stag 1H from Rifle Gear for not too much more than the M1 upper. I want to have a quality build with no dependability issues. It's nice to know that $300 are atleast functional.

shark92651
07-09-2007, 7:32 AM
Another thing to note about Model1sales is that the base price on their 16" A3 carbine upper is $350.00, but that does not include a bolt carrier group, charging handle, or rear sight. Add in these "options" and the price is very close to, in some cases more than, the Stag.

Noonanda
07-09-2007, 8:45 AM
I built a model 1 kit and had no problems with it. I have since changed the upper reciever itself to a flat-top from RRA but am still using the barrel and all the other parts that came with the kit, and have had no complaints, but your mileage may vary. I think ultimately it all comes down to personal preference. I built my AR for right around 600 last year, using the model one CAR parts kit and a stag lower. So I saved at least 200 dollars initially (even though I have spent more than that in the backend buying other stuff for it.

Army GI
07-09-2007, 8:52 AM
My Model 1 upper works just fine and jams no less than our BRAND NEW COLT M16A2 rifles at the unit.

But unlike Colt, M1S has excellent customer service.

Lateralus
07-09-2007, 2:02 PM
this one has been beat to death, just search.

Yes, some people has good experience with them
But there are several members who can tell stories of broken BCs and other gremlin mischief.

When building a rifle, dont go cheap. Just my .02

aplinker
07-09-2007, 2:40 PM
My M1S requires the rear sight base to be 100% to the right to even get on paper. Xeno swears to me that this means that the barrel is bent and that I need to torque it over. Either way, the money saved was not at all worth it.

Also, I had a ton of trouble using a couple of M1S parts kits compared to other guys who bought higher quality parts kit. When I then bought RRA and Stag kits I was much happier..

Spend a couple of more bucks and get something from a vendor with less issues.

-Gene

I had the same issue and thought it was the barrel/upper... turned out my YHM front flip sight was wrong.

Thanks Randall.

hoffmang
07-09-2007, 3:38 PM
Well, in this case the front sight being wrong is a further indictment of M1S as it's their fixed front sight.

-Gene