PDA

View Full Version : AK rear trunnion problem

StevieG
07-08-2007, 4:06 PM
When I demilled my Romy G kit I`ve damaged the rear trunnion and had to order a replacement part from centerfire. The problem is, the new trunnion is only 1.215" (30.85mm) wide while the original one, as well as the front trunnion, is 1.255 (31.85mm). Plus the holes appear to be too big.
What am I supposed to do?:confused:

BlackReef
07-08-2007, 4:22 PM
fabricate

StevieG
07-08-2007, 4:51 PM
fabricate
Huh?:confused:

arfan66
07-08-2007, 10:08 PM
My guess is that your new trunnion is for a milled receiver (remember, it's just a guess. I've never seen a milled AK receiver before). You could install a bushing to reduce the hole size and make .020" steel shims to fill the gap on both sides of the trunnion. Another better alternative is to enlarge the receiver holes to match the trunnion and install the appropriate diameter rivet. Ya still have to fabricate two .020" shims. I'm sure you could find everything you need at http://www.mcmaster.com. Steel sheet/shim stock is about $12.75 or so and rivets are $5.50-$6.50/lb.depending on diameter and length. It might be cheaper to buy another trunnion (for a stamped receiver, of course) athttp://www.akparts.com/index.htm.

Good Luck!

Jeff

StevieG
07-08-2007, 10:15 PM
My guess is that your new trunnion is for a milled receiver (remember, it's just a guess. I've never seen a milled AK receiver before). You could install a bushing to reduce the hole size and make .020" steel shims to fill the gap on both sides of the trunnion. Another better alternative is to enlarge the receiver holes to match the trunnion and install the appropriate diameter rivet. Ya still have to fabricate two .020" shims. I'm sure you could find everything you need at http://www.mcmaster.com.

Good Luck!

Jeff

Thanks for the advice. :) So far this project is a major pain in the *****:p

wayoutwest
07-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Milled AKs dont have rear trunions, they are part of the reciever.

Perhaps it for a 74, I would not worry about it,I would just look for bigger rivits, if you mock it up to the receiver how does the top cover/recoil spring fit? does it have a big gap or is it sloppy? If not, no worries IMHO

arfan66
07-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the correction wayoutwest. Learn somethin' new every day.....

thedrickel
07-08-2007, 11:00 PM
You should get a romy trunnion that fits. Post WTB's on the various forums and someone will sell you one for 10 bucks.

Maybe call centerfire and ask them to swap you for the right one?

StevieG
07-09-2007, 8:35 AM
You should get a romy trunnion that fits. Post WTB's on the various forums and someone will sell you one for 10 bucks.

Maybe call centerfire and ask them to swap you for the right one?

I guess you`re right. The "lips" of the reciever don`t go far enough in the grooves of the trunnion. I always thought that AK parts were standard.

Noonanda
07-09-2007, 8:38 AM
it might be a yugo rear trunnion, they are smaller than "standard" warsaw pact trunnions in width. last year centerfire was selling alot of yugo underfolders that people had to shim to get them to mount correctly

wayoutwest
07-09-2007, 8:42 AM
The parts should all be the same size but since they are built in numerous factories, countries, over dozens of years, I am sure there are variances.

I think you will also be hard pressed to find one that you are sure is a romy one, even if the seller says it is, they don't say romy on it.

again just my opinion

grammaton76
07-11-2007, 3:16 PM
You're the second person I know of to have gotten a bad deal from Centerfire on a spare rear trunion.

The first guy received one that was bent at funny angles, though, so you're probably better off than he was.

StevieG
07-11-2007, 4:12 PM
You're the second person I know of to have gotten a bad deal from Centerfire on a spare rear trunion.

The first guy received one that was bent at funny angles, though, so you're probably better off than he was.

LOL that gives me little comfort.
Century ripped me off too- they charged $27.95 shipping for 2 x 12 dollar 10rd mags. Whats wrong with these a-holes?

jumbopanda
07-11-2007, 11:08 PM
I believe Centerfire sells the same rear trunnion that Cope's sells, which is a 1.20" one. I ordered two of them, but I was building on a 0.06" thick receiver so it was just what I wanted.

I've probably got a couple of spare trunnions in my parts box, if you need one it'll be $15 shipped.

aklover_91
07-12-2007, 12:03 AM
you probably got a PSL trunion

StevieG
07-12-2007, 8:09 AM
I've probably got a couple of spare trunnions in my parts box, if you need one it'll be $15 shipped.

15 bucks shipped is fair...but can we just swap the trunnions? You might need one if you build on a thicker reciever again.:D I`ll pay the shipping!

bigthaiboy
07-12-2007, 9:38 AM
Century ripped me off too- they charged $27.95 shipping for 2 x 12 dollar 10rd mags. Whats wrong with these a-holes?

Century Arms has a $75.00 minimum order. All orders $75.00 to $500.00 is charged $12.95 shipping. Orders over $500.00 shipping is free. They are dealing with multi-thousands dollar retail orders everyday, they are just trying to discoure people making the $24.00 type purchases.

Century shiiping info : http://www.centuryarms.biz/shipping.asp

StevieG
07-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Century Arms has a $75.00 minimum order. All orders $75.00 to $500.00 is charged $12.95 shipping. Orders over $500.00 shipping is free. They are dealing with multi-thousands dollar retail orders everyday, they are just trying to discoure people making the $24.00 type purchases.

Century shiiping info : http://www.centuryarms.biz/shipping.asp

You`re probably right but it still sucks.