PDA

View Full Version : Feel the heat at Burro!

wildcard
07-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Was anyone else there today when they called the cease fire at about 1 pm? The hillside by the private ranges were on fire! The entire mountain pretty much got shot down and evacuated as the fire trucks rolled up. Lots of people stayed to watch like they were fireproof.

Black_Talon
07-09-2007, 5:24 PM
Yep, some stupid, dumb-f__k, jerk, *****hole was shooting steel core 7.62x 39 on one of the #4 Tac ranges.

Burro was completely closed Sunday, and was supposed to be closed today, but were allowed to open only the pistol and rifle ranges. All Tac ranges were closed as the firefighters were still up there mopping up.

Idiots, idiots, idiots, idiots. :mad::mad::mad:

These jerks will ruin it for all of us.

bear308
07-09-2007, 6:41 PM
oh, but the guys strenuously checking at Angeles are all Nazi's, surely you must be mistaken;)

Do they know who it was? If they do hopefully the FD will bring the heat on him.

wildcard
07-09-2007, 8:05 PM
oh, but the guys strenuously checking at Angeles are all Nazi's, surely you must be mistaken;)

Do they know who it was? If they do hopefully the FD will bring the heat on him.

I'm all for checking ammo as long as they ask for permission or give notification at the time of inspection :cool:

Black_Talon
07-10-2007, 5:51 PM

Yes they do. Since he was signed into the TAC range it was a no-brainer. after the fire started they checked his ammo cans and found the steel core ammo. I don't know if they ratted him out to the FD though, I didn't ask.

PistolPete75
07-10-2007, 7:20 PM
he needs to slapped over the head...shoooopow!

tango-52
07-10-2007, 8:17 PM
he needs to slapped over the head...shoooopow!

Actually, he could be held liable for the entire cost of the fire response, including air tankers and helicopters. DOH!:eek:

whlgun
07-12-2007, 7:54 PM
Its funny i was a range nazi at Angeles and have seen many people on here post that range officers go threw bags and ammo cans without permission but when i ask for a discription of the range officer so that i can report it they cant tell me. You people need to stop getting mad that you got caugt sneaking in steal ammo. I posted a Rant on the Angeles thread and all the sudden people stopped complaining.

Also ive said it before that I personally would never tolerate anybody going threw my stuff without permission. Sure ive seen rangeofficers do it but ive also had people give me permission then they complain after i find there bad ammo.

Well Hopefully they wont take away burrow's license and i know the last time somebody started a fire with steal ammo he had to pay 250,000

MikeH1
07-12-2007, 8:52 PM
I've only had a problem with the same RO that everyone else had a problem with, and he is gone now. I don't have any problem with a range employee asking to inspect my ammo, it's their range and they make the rules, it's going through my stuff when I'm not standing there. I don't know if he's going to take something. There is a difference between a range officer and a range nazi, he was of the nazi affiliation.

The point is that people dislike their stuff being rifled through while they are not there. That's what the original rant was about.

Its funny i was a range nazi at Angeles and have seen many people on here post that range officers go threw bags and ammo cans without permission but when i ask for a discription of the range officer so that i can report it they cant tell me. You people need to stop getting mad that you got caugt sneaking in steal ammo. I posted a Rant on the Angeles thread and all the sudden people stopped complaining.

Also ive said it before that I personally would never tolerate anybody going threw my stuff without permission. Sure ive seen rangeofficers do it but ive also had people give me permission then they complain after i find there bad ammo.

Well Hopefully they wont take away burrow's license and i know the last time somebody started a fire with steal ammo he had to pay 250,000

costayoung
07-13-2007, 11:02 PM
In order to prevent the same situation, can someone tell me if I have steel core ammo? I have some .223 Remington UMC 55gr MC L223rd ammo. Okay, so the MC means Metal Case, but how do I know whether or not it has a steel core, or lead core bullet?

Does Metal Case mean steel core? I don't want to start any fires, and the Remington website does not specifically mention the core material. Can anyone tell me?

ocabj
07-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Just get a magnet and if the bullet sticks, it's got steel in it. Either core or jacket.

costayoung
07-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Okay, no sticking, I'm shooting it at Burro on Sunday.

So, in the absence of a readily available magnet, is there any standard one could use to figure out if ammo has steel core or not? (i.e. Russian = Steel Core, or all American steel core is specifically marked as such)

I was at Turners earlier today, I was about to buy some cheapo Wolf and asked a guy if they were steel core, he said that the distributor told them that they weren't, but that the magnets were telling them that they were.

I'm a newbie. Are bullets made differently from batch to batch, such that a particular line could be steel-core or lead-core depending on the production run? Meaning that the magnet test is the only way to go?

If I'm being obtuse, I'm sorry, I am just a little wary of being the possible bearer of one of our annual uncontrollable fires here in SoCal.

awheelman357
07-14-2007, 1:53 AM
any usa manufactured ammo rem, fed, win is not going to be steel core the mc you are refering to mean metalic cartrige. most steel core stuff you find on the self if forigen ammo.

Sheldon
07-14-2007, 5:16 AM
It might not be steel core, but it might be steel jacketed. Federal American Eagle is steel jacket at least the .308 Win has been.....the stuff I still have at least.

mstlaurent
07-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Military surplus ammo and the cheap Russian ammo are usually steel jacketed. Commercial ammo is usually not. But there are enough exceptions on both sides that you should always check it with a magnet. If you don't then the range officer will, and it sucks to get all the way out to the range and find out that you can't shoot any of your ammo. Just go buy a $0.49 magnet at Radio Shack and throw it in your range bag. QED.

neomentat
07-14-2007, 3:26 PM
Yep, some stupid, dumb-f__k, jerk, *****hole was shooting steel core 7.62x 39 on one of the #4 Tac ranges.

Burro was completely closed Sunday, and was supposed to be closed today, but were allowed to open only the pistol and rifle ranges. All Tac ranges were closed as the firefighters were still up there mopping up.

Idiots, idiots, idiots, idiots. :mad::mad::mad:

These jerks will ruin it for all of us.

ummmm how do you know it was the steel core ammo that caused the fire? I used to shoot 7.62x54R steel core there (so did alot of other people) all the time when they used to allow it back in the days and had never "caused" a fire

Oswald2001
07-14-2007, 4:47 PM
The odds of a single steel core or steel jacket causing a spark that ignites a fire is very very very low.

But, due to the very very very high number of rounds fired at a range like Burro - coupled with the tinder like conditions present during Southern California fire season, fires are bound to happen when steel core or steel jacket ammo is used.

I used to see this happen at Pidgeon Ridge many years ago in the next canyon over.

zeekster
07-14-2007, 7:14 PM
what sucks is that you can have lots of ammo that will attract a magnet and not even no it. I always assumed if I bought military surplus, and yes, 99 percent of the time it says "steel core", then I know it's steel core, but what I didn't know was that most wolf 7.62x39 attracts a magnet. Also my Winchester USA 7.62 Nato, as does my ammo from sellier and belloit in 8mm mauser. Nonetheless, how many millions of rounds of steel core has been shot at Burro and the end result = one small brush fire. :cool: IF we can't shoot steel core then the expense of shooting milsurps has more than doubled or even trippled which means those guns, which I shoot 99% of the time, have to stay in the safe for a while :mad:

proraptor
07-14-2007, 7:36 PM
I agree I have a Steyr m95 that you can only find steel core stuff for unless you want to pay $1 a bullet for....Sucks

hoozaru
07-14-2007, 7:37 PM
i hope it's just a summer thing. Once the heat is gone, they should stop this BS

82A1CAL
07-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Could it be a .223 armored piercing incendiary?Hit a rock then poof! LOL

zeekster
07-15-2007, 12:19 AM
or perhaps an off list flamethrower with a bullet button on the fuel tanks?:43:

jumbopanda
07-15-2007, 12:49 AM
what sucks is that you can have lots of ammo that will attract a magnet and not even no it. I always assumed if I bought military surplus, and yes, 99 percent of the time it says "steel core", then I know it's steel core, but what I didn't know was that most wolf 7.62x39 attracts a magnet. Also my Winchester USA 7.62 Nato, as does my ammo from sellier and belloit in 8mm mauser. Nonetheless, how many millions of rounds of steel core has been shot at Burro and the end result = one small brush fire. :cool: IF we can't shoot steel core then the expense of shooting milsurps has more than doubled or even trippled which means those guns, which I shoot 99% of the time, have to stay in the safe for a while :mad:

Well I've got 3500+ rounds of Wolf 7.62x39,1000 rounds of Brown Bear .223, and 880 rounds of suplus 7.62x54r. The only non-steel core/jacket ammo I have is around 700 rounds of Remington UMC .223 and my various .22lr. I'm pretty much screwed if I can't shoot steel jacket ammo.

markymark
07-15-2007, 1:09 AM
Well I've got 3500+ rounds of Wolf 7.62x39,1000 rounds of Brown Bear .223, and 880 rounds of suplus 7.62x54r. The only non-steel core/jacket ammo I have is around 700 rounds of Remington UMC .223 and my various .22lr. I'm pretty much screwed if I can't shoot steel jacket ammo.
Save the steel jacketed stuff for SHTF. ;)

hoozaru
07-15-2007, 1:10 AM
for the public rifle range, we are just shooting at dirt, bullets land no where near the woods, bushes or those green thingy. so why cant I use wolf?

jumbopanda
07-15-2007, 1:14 AM
ok for the public rifle range, we are just shooting at dirt, bullets land no where near the plants, bushes or those green thingy. then why cant I use wolf?

I was thinking the same thing, since my bullets always hit dirt and I've never shot metallic targets. But I don't know exactly what their policy is now. Maybe they will ban it completely just to be safe.

hoozaru
07-15-2007, 1:24 AM
I will talk to them tomorrow.
In fact, I will ask to buy their 7.62 X 39, burro website price is $5.08, I doubt those are gonna be brass ones, what will they say about that? "you cant shoot ammo that you just bought from us"?

jumbopanda
07-15-2007, 1:40 AM
I will talk to them tomorrow.
In fact, I will ask to buy their 7.62 X 39, burro website price is $5.08, I doubt those are gonna be brass ones, what will they say about that? "you cant shoot ammo that you just bought from us"?

Wow that's a weird price. Either very cheap brass case ammo or very expensive steel. It could be Wolf yellow box, although I haven't seen that around.

zeekster
07-15-2007, 4:08 PM
the wolf 7.62x39 that has yellow on the pack does not attract a magnet and that's what they sell up at burro right now.

hoozaru
07-15-2007, 6:50 PM
talked to their range officers today.
bad news: they do check your ammo, wolf is not ok (except yellow box). No steel core, steel jacket, think i saw steel case on that s**t list too, but someone pls confirm this.
good news: this BS is over when it rains.
I doubt it's gonna rain until late Sep
so those who are religious, pls pray.

Anyone know a good source of Wolf 7.62X39 in yellow box?

davedog665
07-15-2007, 7:25 PM
lytle creek last month 6.23.07

very bad time there RO was being a **** i feel like im look down at cuz of my age alot and i get offended pretty easy bcuz i dealt with guns my whole life and i know how to handle a gun. but ne ways heres some cool pics. i got them becuz the same RO wouldn't let me or my other young buddy leave bcuz he thought we had something to do with the fire. although i was only shooting my .45 xd and that hill is over 300yrds ha!!!!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/davedog0/IMGP0516.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/davedog0/IMGP0519.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/davedog0/IMGP0533.jpg

duenor
07-19-2007, 9:29 PM
sigh*
i love shootiing steel core and steel jacket. i have a lot of that stuff.

i could also probalby sneak it in and nobody will check me since they know me real well, and I'm not stupid enough to shoot it up into the hills like some idiots - I always make sure that my shots go straight into a dirt berm.

but because i'm a responsible guy, and because i saw BCR burned down 12 years ago, i will basically just not shoot for a while until it rains again.

kev

whlgun
07-21-2007, 3:35 PM
sigh*
i love shootiing steel core and steel jacket. i have a lot of that stuff.

i could also probalby sneak it in and nobody will check me since they know me real well, and I'm not stupid enough to shoot it up into the hills like some idiots - I always make sure that my shots go straight into a dirt berm.

but because i'm a responsible guy, and because i saw BCR burned down 12 years ago, i will basically just not shoot for a while until it rains again.

kev

Its people like you that sneak it in that ruin it for everybody. Posting about sneaking ammo into a range whether serious or not is just stupid. Dont give people ideas that could ruin outdoor shooting in california.

simon_sw
07-24-2007, 8:36 AM
Quick question for ammo at Burro.

I took a magnet to the wolf ammo that I had. The magnet would only stick to the case, as the box stated that it had a steel case, but it did not mention anything about the core of the bullet, just that it was a copper FMJ. It came in a box that was yellow and black. I bought this ammo about two years ago, but never got a chance to shoot it yet. So would this ammo be ok for burro canyon? I was guessing as long as the bullet did not have a steel core or attract a magnet, it would be acceptable.

hoozaru
07-24-2007, 8:44 AM
the RM told me that they are cool with Wolf Yellow Box, Copper Jacket.

proraptor
07-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Ill never go to Burro Canyon again....That Main guy that rides around on the quad all day is a total *******.....He needs to learn how to treat people with respect and not to treat everyone like a criminal.

Novadesigns
07-24-2007, 11:06 AM
I guess if there weren't so many retards trying to sneak in steel core at public ranges, ROs wouldn't need to act like that. I'm not advocating them being mean, but hell, I'm hearing talk of sneaking in that ammo right in this thread!

I see it every week I go to the range, someone always tries to shoot that stuff when its clearly marked not to. I can see having to deal with that day in and day out turning even the nicest person into a jerk.

82A1CAL
07-24-2007, 5:05 PM
Go on a weekday. They are a lot better. That guy is probably from Fish Canyon.:D

Ill never go to Burro Canyon again....That Main guy that rides around on the quad all day is a total *******.....He needs to learn how to treat people with respect and not to treat everyone like a criminal.

proraptor
07-24-2007, 5:19 PM
I work during the week...sucks

MrLogan
07-24-2007, 7:00 PM

What happened to you at Burro? Just curious.