PDA

View Full Version : Need some upper advice from some longer range shooters

Solidsnake87
07-07-2007, 5:42 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between two uppers.

The RRA 24" Varmint A4 upper or the 20" RRA Pedator Persuit upper. The barrel in the predator is a Wilson match grade but 4 inches shorter than the other. The 24 incher has a non-match wilson barrel. Both barrels have a 1:8 twist. Both are stainless, non-fluted.

I was wondering which is better for 100 yard shooting as well as shooting up to 500 yards max.

I don't reload. I just buy ammo outright. I use American Eagle for plinking and Black Hills/Federal Gold for serious shooting. I shoot using a Harris bipod and Accu-shot monopod for support.

I was just wondering which upper is better for tac driving at 100 yards. I rarely shoot over 100 yards cuz my private range is 100 yards and I don't like paying to shoot. lol. However, I would like to have the ability to make accurate shots out to 500 yards. Just give me your advice.

Thanks!

C.G.
07-07-2007, 6:28 PM
If you will mostly be shooting 100 yards I would go with the 20" as it should be more accurate and should also take you out to 500 yards.

aplinker
07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between two uppers.

The RRA 24" Varmint A4 upper or the 20" RRA Pedator Persuit upper. The barrel in the predator is a Wilson match grade but 4 inches shorter than the other. The 24 incher has a non-match wilson barrel. Both barrels have a 1:8 twist. Both are stainless, non-fluted.

I was wondering which is better for 100 yard shooting as well as shooting up to 500 yards max.

I don't reload. I just buy ammo outright. I use American Eagle for plinking and Black Hills/Federal Gold for serious shooting. I shoot using a Harris bipod and Accu-shot monopod for support.

I was just wondering which upper is better for tac driving at 100 yards. I rarely shoot over 100 yards cuz my private range is 100 yards and I don't like paying to shoot. lol. However, I would like to have the ability to make accurate shots out to 500 yards. Just give me your advice.

Thanks!

I have the 24" upper. When I use cheap ammo I can hit the 500yd pigs and plates all day long. At 100yds with M855 it put everything tight. Less than an inch when I did my part. Both of them will outshoot you. I think if I had to do it again, I might get a 20".

Timberland
07-08-2007, 3:37 PM
I have the 24" upper. When I use cheap ammo I can hit the 500yd pigs and plates all day long. At 100yds with M855 it put everything tight. Less than an inch when I did my part. Both of them will outshoot you. I think if I had to do it again, I might get a 20".

I like my 24" but I wouldnt want to lug it around, I went this rought because it was cheaper from DPMS. Regardless it will be a great shooter, I personaly dont mind the extra length, youll be happy yether way.

uclaplinker: I like how your avatar found a good use for a sigma.

Solidsnake87
07-08-2007, 6:42 PM
I had a DPMS match upper. I liked it but it was heavy and restricted me to .223 only. I want more of a military style precision rifle so I purchased the 20" match Pedator Persuit upper from PKfirearms. I ordered a sand blasted finish on the stainless for more of a "black rifle" look. My primary concern is getting 1 inch or better groupings at 100 yards.

SemiAutoSam
07-08-2007, 7:20 PM
Just curious to anyone that knows as im not a LDS.

How much bullet drop is there at 500 yards ?

Cypriss32
07-08-2007, 7:47 PM
Look for an 1-8 or 1-7 Twist 24" heavy barrel. Its the best idea to shoot heavy bullets in them.

C.G.
07-08-2007, 8:21 PM

http://www.pacinfo.com/~dropinsator/chart1.htm#223%20Rem

SemiAutoSam
07-08-2007, 8:26 PM
Are those numbers under the 500 column in inches ?

That's some major variation between bullet weights.

I can see from this that I need a new scope.

Any idea of a American made scope that is compensates for drop ?

http://www.pacinfo.com/~dropinsator/chart1.htm#223%20Rem

Scarecrow Repair
07-08-2007, 8:46 PM
Any idea of a American made scope that is compensates for drop ?

You could duct tape a pillow around it.

Welcome back!

Jicko
07-08-2007, 8:51 PM

Mk262 Mod1, 77gr HPBT, w/ muzzle velocity of ~ 2780fps, will have about ~55in drop @ 500yds. (according to JBM, which is pretty accurate)

SemiAutoSam
07-08-2007, 9:00 PM
I thought maybe a foot or so LOL. Thanks for the info. shows ya what I know about this sport huh.

Mk262 Mod1, 77gr HPBT, w/ muzzle velocity of ~ 2780fps, will have about ~55in drop @ 500yds. (according to JBM, which is pretty accurate)

Yeah thats the ticket

Thanks I had a great vacation from you guys.

You could duct tape a pillow around it.

Welcome back!

PistolPete75
07-08-2007, 9:44 PM
Who would have figured, but my Stag 2HT is one accurate upper. I took my eotech off it, and put a 3-9x scope on it. I used my handloads of 55gr Nosler Spt, 24.5gr of Accurate 2230, WSR primers, and mixed brass. May I remind you this is just plinking ammo. I got 1 MOA groupings at 100 yards (hot barrel!)with no bipod, but it was rested on a stand. I can shoot a 400yard steel target with this 16inch barrel too, so I'm sure it could also do 500yards. Past 500yard, I wouldn't count on it using 55grains on this 16inch barrel especially when there is wind.

I could actually shoot better with this upper than a DPMS 18inch fluted SPR upper which surprised the hell out of me.

This load should do around 3,150 fps.

Moral of the story is, you might already have a upper that you could use to shoot 100-500yards accurately. Why spend the extra dollars? Just test out different ammo that might do the trick.

If you really want reliable accuracy with a hot barrel, I say spend the money on a bolt action.

Solidsnake87
07-08-2007, 10:08 PM
I want to spend the money on a different upper because I may decide to hunt with it. I don't want to lug around a 20lb rifle. I want a shorter barrel that provides the same accuracy my previous upper did out to 500 yards.

PistolPete75
07-08-2007, 10:13 PM
my stag 2ht is very, very light. especially so when matched up with a collapsible stock. and you can still hunt with it up to small - medium size game (varmint, pig, mayby a deer if shot less than 200yards).

Solidsnake87
07-08-2007, 10:20 PM
I've built a bushmaster service rifle on an EE receiver if I wanted to use it for that purpose. This build is to be a serious target rifle up to 500 yards while also being "hunter friendly."

PistolPete75
07-08-2007, 10:25 PM
like I said, I know it's a Stag and only 16inches, and it's mainly bought for tacticool purposes, but it's one hellav of an accurate, light upper that shoots a 55grain very accurately. i transitioned into precision shooting, and boy does this upper really impress me for precision shooting. not my first choice of course, i have a remmy 700 p for that but it really is one fun, accurate upper that I can rely on for precision shooting 100-400yards. Never misses a heart beat, even when the barrel is scorching hot at least not with my loads.

if you got your heart set on those two uppers, i say go with the 20" RRA Pedator Persuit upper. much lighter to lug around for hunting.

Prc329
07-08-2007, 10:34 PM
My 16" stag and RRA uppers work wonders with Xm193 out to 300 yards. Tried 500 and was able to hit the target. My 18" SPR barrel in more accurate with heavy rounds. Sub moa with 77g rounds. My other 18 was the same way just gotta load some up and see if she still likes them.

PistolPete75
07-08-2007, 10:41 PM
My 16" stag and RRA uppers work wonders with Xm193 out to 300 yards. Tried 500 and was able to hit the target. My 18" SPR barrel in more accurate with heavy rounds. Sub moa with 77g rounds. My other 18 was the same way just gotta load some up and see if she still likes them.

see there you go, you don't always have to go longer barrels (I learned this same thing, this weekend)

prc329 (i think you are definitely right on your dpms 18 spr, that it'll like the 77grains, 55grainers don't do too well, and it is very volatile with 55grainers especially when it is hot, at least with my particular load i was using)

i would use the 100 rounds i gave you on your stag or rra upper.

aplinker
07-09-2007, 1:10 AM
Inherent accuracy doesn't change much with longer barrels. What does change is velocity. All of the CA-legal lengths will do just fine to 500yds. I was hitting 400yd plates consistently with a 14.5" and an Aimpoint on Saturday.

Length gains you mostly velocity, which helps with long range accuracy. The weight will also help with stability. Mind you long-range we're talking here is probably 500+yds. I really don't see any reason you need to go crazy on length here.

Are you planning on hunting big game or varmints? Are you going to be lugging the rifle around? If you said yes to anything you'll be doing mobile, I'd say get something 18" or less with a medium-weight barrel -- along the lines of an SPR. If you're going to do varmints or stay put and plink, then by all means, belly up for the longest, heaviest rifle you can find.

The only thing I would look for is something that can shoot 5.56, has a 1/8 twist or better (so you can use heavier rounds), and maybe a Wylde chambering -- it will help with accuracy so you can shoot 223 or 5.56.

Honestly, it's more than likely just about anything you get with those specs is going to give you a run to keep up with it.

Solidsnake87
07-09-2007, 9:22 AM
I purchased the RRA predator persuit match stainless 1:8 equipped with the Wylde chamber. I'm going to be plinking and taking varmint so I figure a 20 inch barrel is a good compromise for something I'll be lugging around.

fairfaxjim
07-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I purchased the RRA predator persuit match stainless 1:8 equipped with the Wylde chamber. I'm going to be plinking and taking varmint so I figure a 20 inch barrel is a good compromise for something I'll be lugging around.

I don't think you will be disappointed. I have an upper that was built with a 20" SS wilson match barrel, and it is very accurate at 100 yds, and is quite repeatable at 500 - 600 yards. I also have a 24" bull barrel upper that is too heavy for anything but bench shooting.

aplinker
07-10-2007, 10:05 PM
uclaplinker: I like how your avatar found a good use for a sigma.

Yeah, good thing they're so unreliable. If I used an HK I'd have to buy a new TV every time I changed the channel.