PDA

View Full Version : IOR Valdada 4x14x50 and the Millet DMS-1 *updated with pics*

Prc329
07-07-2007, 5:09 PM
First lets address the Millet. This is an interesting piece but I may not keep it. if I did not own the IOR I would be very satisfied with this scopes performance but my mistake was shooting this and the IOR back to back.

The Millet is a true 1x to 4x scope. It has a 24mm objective. The glass is clear. Not the clearest glass in the world but good considering the thing cost $200+. The knobs are o.k. but no as good as I would like and the illumination washes out way in direct sunlight but that is irrelevant since my IOR does the same thing. I did not have any focus issues and could get a decent picture out to 300 yards or so. This of course is fine for it's intended use. The front sight was not a problem at 1x and pretty much disappeared at 2x. 4x was very usable. Held zero fine after roughly 80 rounds. All in all it is a decent effort and the praise it is getting is deserved. I will be going with something else in the same range, maybe an eotech with magnifier.

Now on to my baby. I can say I am spoiled and if you ever get a chance to use one of these you will not be disappointed. I am extremely pleased and thank bill for his constant praise of this companies products.

I am not knocking the Super Sniper in any way but I will have to trade up the scope on my AR now.

Sighting in went well. I mounted everything last night and went with the Burris tactical rings. This is a case when you get much more for your money. They are solid. First shot was dead on with elevation and 6moa off to the left. Made the proper adjustments and got it about 1.25 inches low at 50 yards. Moved the target to 100 yards and made any adjustments needed. I did not bring any hand loads since I did not have a chance to load up the 175s that I wanted to so I used BH 175g to sight in since I will be using 175 smks in my loads. I was able to do some pretty nice groups. I did some pretty nice shooting with the Super Sniper but the clarity and resolution allowed me to do some pretty impressive groups.

One groups I damn near pissed in my pants as I saw it develop. I fired the first shot and noted its placement in the spotting scope. I fired a second shot and though "did I miss the target?". I fired a second shot and thought the exact same thing. Then the third was just a little to the right to open the hole up a little more with the 4th and 5th shots a little more open. The next group had 2 sets of 2 shots touching.

Let's just say I was very pleased.

The knobs on this scope are solid. They have nice firm but not stiff clicks and are clearly audible. You could easily adjust them without looking up from the scope.

The MP8 reticule is a nice reticule. At first glance it seemed a bit busy but in practice I can see ow it will be very helpful in ranging. I did not try ranging but I can see the benefit of using this reticule over a mil-dot.

I am sold and will not get any more cheap glass. The Super sniper and millet glass is good for starting out but once you get shooting and get serious consider this scope.

I will update this post with pictures later tonight. I got some pictures of the groups and the reticule to show you guys.

I forgot to take pics of the Millet, but here is the IOR/Savage combo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/IMG_0910.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/IMG_0908.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/IMG_0911.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/IMG_0914.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/IMG_0913.jpg

Prc329
07-07-2007, 5:12 PM
Oh the Millet is mounted in a Larue SPR/M4 on a RRA Car 4 with an M4 profile barrel. The IOR is mounted on a Savage 10fp in 308 with a B&C Medalist stock. I was shooting off of sand bags since I was sighting in.

maxicon
07-07-2007, 5:53 PM
How was the eye relief on the Millett? The pics I've seen show the eyepiece pretty far back, even in the LaRue mount, due to the length of the eyepiece assembly.

It seems like a fairly big scope for the magnification, but I haven't actually handled one. I'm idly considering one, pending more user reports, but I like my scopes pretty far forward.

Prc329
07-07-2007, 6:00 PM
Some guys over at arf.com have it more forward. I would think it is about 3in or so.

mr2.0
07-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Nice range report.

proraptor
07-10-2007, 8:18 AM
Looks like a nice scope....Glad you like it Nate...

grywlfbg
07-10-2007, 1:50 PM
Some guys over at arf.com have it more forward. I would think it is about 3in or so.

<opinionated rant>
And that's why I'm sticking w/ my EOTech/magnifier-on-a-flip-mount combo. Eye relief of anything less than infinite at 1X is unacceptable to me. What good is a 1X scope if you have to worry about eye relief? The whole point is to be able to shoot both eyes open w/o worrying about exit pupils, eye relief, and parallax. Magnified sure but at 1X?

I think manufacturers should be banned from calling anything w/ eye relief as "true" 1X. "True" 1X is an unmagnified Aimpoint or EOTech (or other reflex-style optic). :cool:
</opinionated rant>

Prc329
07-15-2007, 10:41 PM
At 1x you can use it with both eyes open. You can probably do it at 4x as well.

After further consideration and range time the DMS-1 is not bad at all. I really like it. Yes the glass isn't perfect but there is a lot to like about the scope. It is clear and gives you a good image. It in no way is even close to my IOR but that is a scope that cost almost 5 times as much so it shouldn't be compared to it.

It will stay on my 16" and now I need to find a new scope for my 18" since I am putting the SS on a different rig.

toweshot
07-29-2007, 9:51 PM
What rings and base are you using right now? Wondering because i need to get some for my Remington. thanks.

TS

Jicko
07-29-2007, 10:00 PM
What rings and base are you using right now? Wondering because i need to get some for my Remington. thanks.

TS

One of the best base/rings for Rem700 is the Badger Ordnance.

Prc329
07-29-2007, 10:16 PM
warne base and Burris extreme tactical rings.

Teletiger7
08-09-2007, 2:32 PM
Nice set-up. Good shootin' :)!

vikingshelmut
10-01-2007, 8:15 PM
Which DMS-1 do you have, the 1st or 2nd gen? I'm looking at getting one for my AR, and am curious. Seems to have gotten pretty good reviews.

Prc329
10-01-2007, 8:32 PM
It is the Second gen version. It is actually on its way to Florida for its new home.

maxicon
10-02-2007, 8:46 AM
What made you decide to get rid of it?

Prc329
10-02-2007, 8:50 AM
An offer I could not refuse.

bwiese
10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
PRC,

I am happy you enjoy your Valdada.

I just got a 2-12X35 and really enjoy it. Prob will also get the compact 2-8X one as well, and your 4-14X version for my Remmy PSS.

Prc329
10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I keep looking at the USO site and drooling over there scopes but then I pull out my rifle and look threw my IOR and realize how stoopid it is for me to do that. The IOR is one hell of a scope. I really like it.

gose
10-02-2007, 1:02 PM
Which DMS-1 do you have, the 1st or 2nd gen? I'm looking at getting one for my AR, and am curious. Seems to have gotten pretty good reviews.

I have a NIB one for sale (2nd gen) ;)

DJDace
10-02-2007, 1:32 PM
I keep looking at the USO site and drooling over there scopes but then I pull out my rifle and look threw my IOR and realize how stoopid it is for me to do that. The IOR is one hell of a scope. I really like it.

I really like mine as well. I just got it back from Valdada after having the set screws in the elevation turret replaced. Their Customer Service is top notch, they had my scope back to me in a week and they paid to ship it back to me for free.

I can't wait to take it back out to Angeles this weekend and get it zero'd.

Prc329
10-06-2007, 8:58 PM
If the release the knobs they made for the SH special edition I would no have a desire for a USO any longer.