PDA

View Full Version : FIRST AR, FIRST TRANSFER..HELP!

Silent909
10-02-2012, 6:25 PM
Alright I am 20 and looking forward to buying a AR from Rock River Arms BUT i guess they do not sell or deliver complete nor parts directly to CA without a third party. Sooo if i went with a third party, it would cost me $1430. But if I had my dad get a cheaper deal in Washington and make it CA legal, HOW WOULD THE TRANSFER WORK??? do we have to go to a dealer together in person?? or can my dad sign his half of paperwork at a dealer in WA. and send it to a dealer in CA for me to sign my half of the paperwork and recieve it?.

THANKS AHEAD APPRECIATE IT.

Sunday
10-02-2012, 6:28 PM
RRA for $1430!!!!!!

CSACANNONEER
10-02-2012, 6:33 PM
He can buy a gun with the intention of giving it to you as a gift. He can not buy a gun with your money. That would be a straw purchase. He can stay in WA and send it to your Ca FFL who can charge any amount for the transfer.

tacticalcity
10-02-2012, 6:35 PM
First, welcome.

You want to post this question in either the Center Fire Rifle Section or in the FFL section. Every question here on calguns has to be posted in the correct section, or people get annoyed and hassle you about. They like organization. This section is more just to say hello. Not for getting help on a specific issue. But everyone's first post is in the wrong section, so don't worry to much about it.

There are over 1000 ways to get what you want. You are hung up on just two of them. No need to be. This is easy. Super easy.

If Rock River Arms won't sell you one directly, you can buy a Rock River Arms brand rifle on say GunBroker.com and have it shipped directly to your local FFL who will do the transfer. The key is NOT to just ask ONE FFL what he charges to accept and transfer guns ordered on the internet, but to ask all of the FFLs in your area for a quote. You may here $125, $125, $125 but don't give up. Eventually you'll find one closer to $60.

There is nothing particularly special about Rock River Arms vs. a thousand other brands out there. So my recommendation is not to get too hung up on a brand name. You want a good reliable brand to be sure, but there are thousands of those. So don't over spend for RRA or jump through extra hoops if something just as good is available for less money or hassle.

In any case, good luck to you. Post in the correct sections and you will get a ton of suggestions and help.

And let me be the first to welcome you to the AR Club. Awesome weapon system. Love it.

fighterpilot562
10-02-2012, 6:38 PM
Welcome

h0use
10-02-2012, 7:08 PM
welcome

Silent909
10-02-2012, 7:38 PM
Thanks for the welcomes :)

Silent909
10-02-2012, 7:43 PM
First, welcome.

You want to post this question in either the Center Fire Rifle Section or in the FFL section. Every question here on calguns has to be posted in the correct section, or people get annoyed and hassle you about. They like organization. This section is more just to say hello. Not for getting help on a specific issue. But everyone's first post is in the wrong section, so don't worry to much about it.

There are over 1000 ways to get what you want. You are hung up on just two of them. No need to be. This is easy. Super easy.

If Rock River Arms won't sell you one directly, you can buy a Rock River Arms brand rifle on say GunBroker.com and have it shipped directly to your local FFL who will do the transfer. The key is NOT to just ask ONE FFL what he charges to accept and transfer guns ordered on the internet, but to ask all of the FFLs in your area for a quote. You may here $125, $125, $125 but don't give up. Eventually you'll find one closer to $60.

There is nothing particularly special about Rock River Arms vs. a thousand other brands out there. So my recommendation is not to get too hung up on a brand name. You want a good reliable brand to be sure, but there are thousands of those. So don't over spend for RRA or jump through extra hoops if something just as good is available for less money or hassle.

In any case, good luck to you. Post in the correct sections and you will get a ton of suggestions and help.

And let me be the first to welcome you to the AR Club. Awesome weapon system. Love it.

Oh ok haha I wil keep that in mind next time I post something. Oh alright well the FFL i talked to in San Bernardino County was gonna charge $1430 for everything. I knew It was overpriced just to make it CA compliant. Specifically I was looking at Tactical CAR A4 & Tactical Operator 2 but i guess the CAR A4 is illegal in CA. What other brands do you recommend? my dad has a S&W M&P15.

Silent909
10-02-2012, 7:45 PM
He can buy a gun with the intention of giving it to you as a gift. He can not buy a gun with your money. That would be a straw purchase. He can stay in WA and send it to your Ca FFL who can charge any amount for the transfer.

Ooookk so do you think its cheaper if he bought it & send it to CA FFL as a gift or just buy one myself?

socalpistolero
10-02-2012, 8:23 PM
welcome.

zod
10-03-2012, 5:15 AM
Welcome aboard.

frankDmole
10-03-2012, 8:19 AM
Welcome to CalGuns.

Silent909
10-03-2012, 8:38 AM
thanks again for the welcomes :)