PDA

View Full Version : Advice on AK Folder Build

Mike 56
07-07-2007, 1:03 PM
I am building second AK build my first was a screw build with a MM Grip. My new build is going to be revit built with a front grip, pistol grip and folding stock. I can't decide weather go bolt action detachable mag or go semiauto with a 30/10 leaver load fixed mag and a trunion extender http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=331 bought or homemade. If i do go bolt action what is the best way to plug the gas port silver solder, tap and plug? Can i remove the gas piston? Will the bolt carer operate ok without the piston or do i need to grind slots in it?
Any insight would be apresheated

Mike

TheMan
07-07-2007, 1:47 PM
I am building second AK build my first was a screw build with a MM Grip. My new build is going to be revit built with a front grip, pistol grip and folding stock. I can't decide weather go bolt action detachable mag or go semiauto with a 30/10 leaver load fixed mag and a trunion extender http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=331 bought or homemade. If i do go bolt action what is the best way to plug the gas port silver solder, tap and plug? Can i remove the gas piston? Will the bolt carer operate ok without the piston or do i need to grind slots in it?
Any insight would be apresheated

Mike

It depends on what parts kit you are using on the bolt action simplicity. For the Yugo, I found a shouldered bolt that was a drop in replacement for the gas valve, and disabled the gas system. I posted links on this a while back.

If I were to do it again though, I'd probably go with a barrel or trunion extension, and some sort of bullet button type mags. At the time I did the bolt action, people doing fixed mag AKs were loading them from the top, which seemed way too clumsy. With the bullet button mag locks, a fixed mag is much more acceptable. And bolt action on an AK isn't that good, IMO.

JHC
07-07-2007, 3:44 PM
I tapped and then plugged my gas port with a socket head screw, I also cut the head off of my gas piston just in case.

When deciding whether to go bolt action or fixed mag for an underfolder you should keep in mind the different requirements in overall lengths, going the bolt action route you only have to have an O.A.L. of 26 inches which will let you run a 74 style muzzle brake to get you to the required length. If you go the semi-auto route with a fixed mag you will need a much longer muzzle device to get you to the 30inches required, this is easily acheived by attatching a fake suppressor.

I have a bolt action underfolder and I'll tell you it sucks to be right-handed.

EDIT: just noticed that you didn't specify what kind of folder it was, if it's a sidefolder I'd go Semi-auto and add a trunion extender.