PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a scope for my Remmy 700 SPS

PistolPete75
07-06-2007, 3:38 PM
I just ordered a new bolt action Remmy 700 SPS .223 Varmint 26 Heavy Barrel.

I am going to shoot 55grains out of it for precision/ plinking shooting from 100-450 yards.

My budget is around $300 for the scope and $100 for mount and rings.
My specifications are clear glass, mildot recticle, paralex adjustments, and 1/4 moa adjustments would be nice.

What fits the bill on this? Is there something that fits the bill on this or do I have to spend $500 on a Lupy?

FatKatMatt
07-06-2007, 3:42 PM
I would buy Leupold. My Dad has only Leupolds on his hunting guns and they haven't failed him yet, plus the glass is very clear and overall quality is pretty high up there. I believe the Tactical Leupold models are a bit more expensive than $500, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

PistolPete75
07-06-2007, 3:45 PM
I just got a tactical lupy, and it set me back over 1k. I don't want to spend that much on a .223 caliber. Trying to keep this as just a fun all around precision/ plinking rifle.

Jicko
07-06-2007, 3:51 PM
There are Leupold that is like $299, with a duplex reticle.... they are just as good....

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3460-86-leupold-3-9x40-vx-ii-riflescope.aspx

Add some target turrets, then u are ready!

proraptor
07-06-2007, 3:57 PM
You know what Ill suggest

PistolPete75
07-06-2007, 4:11 PM
There are Leupold that is like $299, with a duplex reticle.... they are just as good....

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3460-86-leupold-3-9x40-vx-ii-riflescope.aspx

Add some target turrets, then u are ready!

i really want a mildot recticle. i have a 3-9x 40 Nikon Monarch with a BDC recticle that is really similar in terms of build and quality to this one. i'm going to put it on my stag oll, and take the eotech off.

PistolPete75
07-06-2007, 4:11 PM
You know what Ill suggest

let me guess? Super Sniper?

aplinker
07-06-2007, 4:39 PM
I have a Nikon Buckmaster with Mil-Dots I use as a sort of spare/other glass. I've been pretty pleased with it. Nothing to write home about, but between the price and the quality, it's been decent. It's 4.5-14 with the mil-dots at 12X. It's nothing special to look at but I've used it to hit pigs at 600yds all day when I wanted to LR something I don't normally use LR.

PistolPete75
07-06-2007, 5:04 PM
I have a Nikon Buckmaster with Mil-Dots I use as a sort of spare/other glass. I've been pretty pleased with it. Nothing to write home about, but between the price and the quality, it's been decent. It's 4.5-14 with the mil-dots at 12X. It's nothing special to look at but I've used it to hit pigs at 600yds all day when I wanted to LR something I don't normally use LR.

ya, i really like the Nikon glass.

Timberwolf
07-06-2007, 9:06 PM
There's a couple - you know how I like Nikons and the Buckmaster is not a bad scope - or you can go with a Super Sniper. I carried one as a back up scope for a couple of years.

Of the two the SS will be more rugged just depends on whether you're going to bench it or get it a little dirty . . . LOL

PistolPete75
07-08-2007, 10:28 PM
There's a couple - you know how I like Nikons and the Buckmaster is not a bad scope - or you can go with a Super Sniper. I carried one as a back up scope for a couple of years.

Of the two the SS will be more rugged just depends on whether you're going to bench it or get it a little dirty . . . LOL

yes, I picked up a used SS for $200 and it came with rings too.

On a side note, how was the match?

wildcard
07-09-2007, 8:01 AM
When is the DROS complete for your two new toys? Lets go practice in the desert!

When's the next time you're heading over to APS? I want to do some trap shooting there :)

PistolPete75
07-09-2007, 11:15 AM
When is the DROS complete for your two new toys? Lets go practice in the desert!

When's the next time you're heading over to APS? I want to do some trap shooting there :)

I get my Remmy 700 P on the 15th, but I am exchanging my scope with the tmr recticle instead of the mildot.

I have another Remmy 700 SPS (.223), going into dros soon too. I sold my dpms upper.

I go to APS every weekend, so we can go this saturday if you like.

wildcard
07-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I get my Remmy 700 P on the 15th, but I am exchanging my scope with the tmr recticle instead of the mildot.

I have another Remmy 700 SPS (.223), going into dros soon too. I sold my dpms upper.

I go to APS every weekend, so we can go this saturday if you like.

Doh.. moving into my new place this saturday.. but i'll head over soon enough. Shoot every weekend? Getting ready fot the next APS Tactical/ Practical Match? :)

PistolPete75
07-09-2007, 12:51 PM
i don't think im going to do the next match, i want to shoot a couple of hundred rounds down the 700 p first.

mecam
08-03-2007, 1:19 PM
Try the Bushnell 3200 Elite series.

rksimple
08-03-2007, 4:23 PM

+1. The Nikon has clearer glass and more magnification. The SS has more internal adjustment and better turrets. For range work to 450 yards, I'd go with the Nikon. If you opt for heavier bullets and take it out to 600 or beyond, I'd like the large, exposed, easy-to-read turrets and internal adjustment of the SS.

PistolPete75
08-05-2007, 9:34 PM
i went with the SS on the 700 sps. no problem going to 400 yards with pin point precision, and i was shooting a lowly 55gr sp. i haven't taken this set up too 500yrds yet. i love the burro long range rifle section!

bruce_ventura
08-11-2007, 11:32 PM
I agree with mecam. Take a hard look at Bushnell Elite 3200. Not quite as bright as the 4200 series, but still good. I just ordered the Elite 3200 10X40 (mildot reticle and target knobs). You can get a new one for ~$165 on eBay. Why spend your whole budget on the scope? Buy some more accessories (tripod?) or match grade ammo as well.

Since all of the affordable variable mag, mildot scopes have second plane reticles, you will use them on one mag setting anyway. IMHO, with a mildot reticle, variable mag isn't worth the extra money and risk of losing the shot because the mag setting was incorrect.

The 4 mm exit pupil on the 10X40 is plenty bright from dawn to dusk. No AO, but it's not really needed if you keep your eye centered in the FOV (AO is just one more thing to have to mess with).

slick_711
08-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Buy the best first, and get yourself a Leupold Mark 2 3-9x40 mildot. It's an excellent scope, great for .223, can be found @ or around $499.

Plus, I'm waiting on one for my 18" precision AR build and maybe if you order one maybe they'll both magically appear and I can stop having to look at a sightless precision rifle that I can't shoot & that is still a bane on my visa bill every time I walk into my closet.

Besides, we all know rule of thumb is the scope should cost at least half if not nearly as much as the rifle. There are plenty of decent scopes out there under $300, and they shoot well, but none of them will shoot as well as a Leupold, and after what you spent on the rifle, why limit it's potential from the get-go.

Hoop
08-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I was in the same boat and went with a Nikon 4.5-14.