PDA

View Full Version : Anybody shoots at Southbay Rod and Gun Club in San Diego

jkasandiego
07-06-2007, 2:18 PM
I shoot their a couple of times and it's a nice place to shoot.It's aprox. 17 miles drive from my house.
But leaving the range and driving back to my house, i have to passby an
immigration checkpoint posted by the border patrol 24 hours. They do search
your vehicle if they feel like it. The last time i passed by they just glanced
at my rear window of my truck and ask if I'm a US citizen and they let me pass.
Does anybody been hassled or harassed by the border patrol in that immigration checkpoint?:confused:
Does the border patrol knows Ca. gun laws?:confused:

SDJim
07-06-2007, 3:28 PM
I've been going out to South Bay R&G for over 3 years and have never been stopped by the Border Patrol.

I'm usually driving a '97 F150 with a soft cover on the back

jkasandiego
07-06-2007, 4:10 PM
I've been going out to South Bay R&G for over 3 years and have never been stopped by the Border Patrol.

I'm usually driving a '97 F150 with a soft cover on the back

I drive a white Suburban, and starting next month I'll be there every 3rd
tuesday.

goldy1
07-10-2007, 11:06 AM
i go there pretty much every weekend. the border patrol always just wave me through. never had a problem. SBRC is a great place to shoot. the wife and i always enjoy going out. just wish the gravel road wasnt so rutted. it sounds like my tuck is going to fall apart the whole way down.

Paltik.45acp
07-10-2007, 11:49 AM
I go there all the time to shoot my rifles. The Border Patrol one time stopped my vehicle and searched it. They saw my rilfes in the trunk and didn't say anything about it. But usually nowadays they see my DOD decal they just let me thru.

ImOverHere
07-10-2007, 8:28 PM
I shoot there at least once/week for maybe the last seven years. The BP guys are pretty nice actually. Rarely, they'll ask me where I'm coming from, I tell them, and they wave me through. Once, a BP agent asked me - after I told him where I'd been - if I had "any weapons in the car?" I told him something like, "Yep - quite a few. It helps when you're going shooting," and smiled. He then smiled and waved me through. :)

I don't think you need to worry. IME, most LEOs are pretty good guys.

Satex
07-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I shoot there all the time - nice range (wish they had a better pistol setup).
The border patrol folks know about the range and are used to seeing folks drive past them loaded with firearms.
Most of the time the state is open, they get a quick look us and wave us through. Never got hassled in any way.

jthai
07-19-2007, 1:17 AM
Does that place allow the use of steel core ammo?

ImOverHere
07-19-2007, 1:34 AM
Does that place allow the use of steel core ammo?

Yes. It's an outdoor range. Expended rounds impact into dirt.

jthai
07-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Nice, and one more important question...are they OLL friendly??

Nefarious
07-20-2007, 6:07 AM

They sure are.
From what I hear they are 1919 friendly as well

ImOverHere
07-20-2007, 8:24 AM

Because the club is run by a variety of volunteer range officers YMMV, but IME I don't think you'll have a problem. Many folks there are retired or active military as well as LE, but they tend to share in common a healthy respect for RKBA. Some may express curiosity in your firearm but no more than they would in anyone else's - just out of an interest in firearms in general.

jthai
07-20-2007, 6:52 PM
Thanks for the info! I've always been driving out to Jacumba, and well, it's too long of a drive. Do you guys happen to know if Project 2000 in El Cajon is OLL friendly as well?

ImOverHere
07-20-2007, 9:19 PM
Thanks for the info! I've always been driving out to Jacumba, and well, it's too long of a drive. Do you guys happen to know if Project 2000 in El Cajon is OLL friendly as well?

No idea there. But I will point out that, IIRC, Project 2000 is limited to 100 yards, whereas SBR&GC has 50, 100, 200, and 300 yard positions at the main range. OTOH, Project 2000 is closer to SD and they may sell ammo - I really don't know about that. At SBR&GC, you shoot what you bring. :) Try both and see what meets your needs.

vegaracer
07-24-2007, 9:11 PM
Not to hijack this thread too far, but yes Project 2000 has been very OLL friendly to me. I have also seen plenty of others besides myself there.

Steve

jkasandiego
07-24-2007, 10:44 PM

Yes, P2000 is OLL friendly...

jthai
07-26-2007, 7:12 PM
I went out to Southbay a couple days ago. I was the only shooter there! The drive isn't bad at all compared to Jacumba, and the ROs were very nice. I would like to try P2000 but it's kind of pricey...something like $14 per hour?

Boarding-Team-Leader
07-26-2007, 9:46 PM
I was there on Tuesday last week. The San Diego Fire Dept. was the host of the CA Firefighter Olympics and we shot the rifle and pistol events there.
I had never shot in a competition before so I went at it for fun. In ended up taking a bronze medal in high power and a silver medal in the rimfire event. One of the shooters was using a match AR with detachable mags and there were two other guys with M-14 (M1A) rifles.
Nice range, with very nice people.
BTL

Gunsrruss
07-26-2007, 10:05 PM
I run the High Power match on the second sunday of the month. You will not be hasseled at the range unless your being stupid and unsafe. Always remember Samantha ( range dog ) bring her a bone or a dog biscut. Pet the dog, take a bath. Sam is probably the dirtiest dog in three states, but she's a sweetheart. Especially if you have food.